Start by marking “Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne” as Want to Read:
Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne

Simbayo: Jenseits der Sonne

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"A grand historical romance . . . Filled with passions, heartbreak and death." Chicago Sun-Times.
Liliane. Carolyn. Courtney. For half a century, they would devote themselves to the people of Simbayo, women healers bringing faith and hope to a beleaguered land . . . and to each other.
Published January 1st 2000 by Knaur (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Simbayo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simbayo

Hannah
To classify this epic novel as simply "historical romance" is doing it a great disservice. Is there romance? Oh, yes. And it is bittersweet and devastating. But, at its heart, it's so much more. It's a medical drama, an epic portrait of the African continent and the struggles of its people, a feminist manifesto about three generations of women who lived extraordinary lives as they helped the sick and dying. It's also easy to think this book is just another "well meaning white people go to Africa ...more
Jessica
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read more by this author. She lived in Anacortes which is a short distance from my town.

I loved the strong female characters. It follows a woman, her daughter and then her grand daughter in Africa. (from the Congo to Zimbabewe. ) It follows and talks about people who are not conventional. It's about wanting to make things better. It is about people who have money who use to help others mostly in the medical way.

Thank you , sister-in-law Tracy for giving it to me for my birthday.
Anne
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EAST OF THE SUN, Barbara Bickmore, AFRICA, Belgian Congo, Rhodesia, South Africa, 1926-1981.
This prequel to West of the Moon which I read last year, had me fully engaged...a story of love, of loss, of monumental changes as the African countries achieved their independence, of turmoil and brutality...and how the Europeans brought modern medicine to the stone age tribes of the Congo.
James Digate
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book I have read by this author. I see it is her first novel and she has written many more since. I picked it up at a library sale, liked the topic and noticed the high ratings on Goodreads.
With all that said, I must say this is among the best novels I have ever read. I personally think is it up there with "Gone With the Wind" and should be considered a 20 th Century classic. It is excellent in every way and deserves the highest rating possible, in my point of view and I read a
Claudia
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nederlandse titel: Ten oosten van de zon
Summer
I loved reading this saga about Africa. I read this in middle school for the first time and thought it would be the neatest thing in the world to go over there and run a clinic. There was a scene where it told about the native women in that particular part of Africa and how they squatted all day that way for hours on end. I found that incredible and had to try it myself. It didn't work so well for me...
NanCcan
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Bickmore's heroines and even her male characters have an inspiring drive to make a difference in other people's lives.
One also learns some history of the African continent in both this book and its sequel, West of the Moon.
An extremely enthralling, satisfying read!
Manuela
Una bella avventura, tra il centro e il sud africa, con protagoniste tre donne coraggiose e profondamente umane, nelle scelte e nelle passioni, che però deve fare i conti con un ritmo in alcuni tratti fin troppo prolisso e lento.

Ally Budd
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this - cried buckets!
Skip
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very descriptive book , but too long spanning too many generations. I felt she could have stopped after her daughter.
Fay
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I read it but I remember it to be a very good read!
Jessica
One of my favorite books!
Sue
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Claudia
I could not put this down!!! Its thick but it is so good you get through it quickly.
Shannon Kelly
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction...very intersting story which spans several generations of women in Africa, from the Congo to South Africa. Slightly over dramatic at times, but a good read.
Deanna
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was 13 or 14... read it again when I was 20. Quite enjoyed it both times. :)
Heidi
Aug 10, 2012
  • Omamori
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • Outback
  • The Last Rainbow (Firelord, #3)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Tara's Song
  • The Silent Lady
  • Moss Rose
  • Oregon Bride (Bride Series, #3)
  • Playing the Jack (Historical Duo, #1)
  • Seraglio
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • Skippyjon Jones Snow What
  • Circle Of Pearls
  • A Worthy Wife
  • Idun (Sagan om Valhalla, #2)
  • Snare of Serpents
  • Frankenstein's Monster: A Novel
BARBARA BICKMORE wrote her first short story at seven and has been writing ever since. Her dream to become a published writer came true when EAST OF THE SUN was published in 1988. As her heroines grow they become women who make a difference and don't settle for living life the way society dictates. Readers will experience sorrow, pain, happiness, romance, love and will enjoy growing with the heroi ...more
More about Barbara Bickmore...