Start by marking “The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views” as Want to Read:
The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views

The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Christ is coming again. Since the first century, Christians have agreed that Christ will return. But since that time there have also been many disagreements. How will Christ return? When will he return? What sort of kingdom will he establish? What is the meaning of the millennium? These questions persist today. Four major views on the millennium have had both a long histor ...more
Published May 1st 1977 by IVP Academic (first published April 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Meaning of the Millennium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meaning of the Millennium

Simon Wartanian
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was hoping to see a good case for Postmillennialism, but Boettner's chapter was not what I expected.
The premillennial position did also make an interesting case, but mostly using Old Testament Scripture and demanding eternal blessings to be actualized on this earth rather the new Earth.

I am kinda biased, because I found Hoekema's position the strongest, as I had previously read his case for Amillennialism in The Bible and the Future. I was convinced of Amillennialism by Sam Storms' Kingdom Com
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
It was okay. None of the arguments were all that convincing overall (though some were stronger than others). Although space clearly will limit the depth any of the authors can go, I think they all could have made better points with their respective chapters.

Chapter 1: Historic (i.e. non-dispensational) Premillenialism; George Eldon Ladd:
Discusses how not all Old Testament prophecies are to be taken literally in every detail (in contrast to dispensationalism). Thought-provoking, but he takes it
Chad Warner
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
This book explores four major eschatological views. I like the format; each view is explained in an essay by an adherent of that view, and each essay is followed by three responses (one from each adherent of the other views).

I felt the amil essay made the strongest case. The postmil essay cites little Scripture and instead relies heavily on stats to show that the world is improving in many ways. The essay was an abbreviated form of Boettner's book, The Millennium.

The four contributors are:
Scott Cox
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
This is a very helpful book with all four major millennium views represented. The two I am most favorable towards, postmillennial and amillennial, are well represented by Loraine Boettner and Anthony Hoekema respectively. However George Ladd does an admirable job representing the historic premillennial viewpoint as well. Perhaps it best to summarize with this quote from Loraine Boetner, "Evangelical post-, a- and premillennialists agree that the Bible is the word of God, fully inspired and autho ...more
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good read to help understand the different positions on the subject of Christian eschatology. Each view is presented by an adherent to the view, followed by a response from the contributors on the differing views. This method allowed the views to be both presented and defended, as well as refuted by those who do not hold to them. It's a good read, although it may not do much to allure you to one view or the other.
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading these four main views side by side and appreciated that the authors were able to write a brief response to another view. I found this book difficult to digest and to wholeheartedly agree on one view. I began reading this without really any knowledge on the Millennium at all; perhaps some extra basic reading beforehand may be helpful to others in the same position.
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Some essays a little tougher to get through than others. Good issues highlighted though. In my estimation, Hoekema wins.
C.H. Cobb
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, good general overview. Weakest presentation was Boettner's postmill material. Hoekema was excellent (amill), Ladd was good (historic pre), Hoyt pretty good (dispy premill).

Would like to see progressive disp represented, guess I'll have to re-read Blaising and Bock.

One gets the sense that there is a view of eschatology out there that has not yet been presented, that might be closer to the truth than any of these four views. Perhaps a combination of the best of amill scholarship and som
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
If you are entering this discussion, it's a decent place to start. I love the four views books as they allow each author to reply to each view. Three stars is due to the fact that Hoyt (dispensational pre-mill) and Boettner (post-mil) did such a poor job outlining their views. Ladd (historic pre-mill) and Hoekema (a-mill) both did excellent jobs outlining their views and I thought Hoekema was the most convincing overall.
Philip Brown
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The worst part of reading this was finishing it. As someone who is a fairly convinced Amillennialist, I was happy that Anthony Hoekema was the representative for this position (more on that soon).

If I were to create a hierarchy of views that I think is that most likely, it would be as follows:

Historic Premillennial
Dispensational Premillennial.

I would have to say however, that I wouldn't give the same order for how well i think each author did. That would be:

Michael Walker
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The book allows the reader to sit at table with four outstanding theologians who share their views, and their responses to their colleagues' views, on the Biblical teaching of the end times (eschatology): George Eldon Ladd (Historic Premillennialism), Herman A. Hoyt (Dispensational Premillennialism), Loraine Boettner (Postmillennialism), and Anthony A. Hoekema (Amillennialism). These four men (and the editor, Robert G. Clouse), hail from evangelical circles. This interesting literary exchange is ...more
Seth Pierce
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was organized the same way as Four Views on Hell--with each author presenting their view and the other three responding. I found each author to be respectful as they discussed: historic premillennialism, dispensational millennialism, postmillennialism, and millennialism. While each view has strengths and weaknesses, I found the most in common with the amillennial presentation. This isn't to say I subscribe to their position, but they seem to have the most reasonabl ...more
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am always pleased when I begin a book thinking that I will enjoy it, and it turns out that I was correct. I began this book with the sole purpose of studying and understanding the four views surrounding the doctrine of Christian eschatology: historic premillennialism, dispensational premillennialism, postmillennialism and amillennialism. I had studied this subject briefly in college and still didn't understand what each view believed. However, after reading this book, I am confident that I und ...more
Bendick Ong
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Perhaps the most debatable and controversial topic in Christianity is eschatology – in the sense that theologians can argue it without killing one another. I mean even conservative seminaries are tolerant of scholars with other views of the last days. If you are interested in reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of each stand – this book provides the right platform. Divided into 4 sections (historic premil, dispensational premil, postmil and amil), each section begins with an article written b ...more
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
The quality of this debate book was uneven and slipshod. I'd like to see it redone with a progressive dispensationalist (since hardly any scholars hold to the classical disp. view anymore). Then my wishlist for defenders of the other views would be:

Sam Storms for the amill view (he's got a new book coming out this year!)
Doug Wilson OR Keith Mathison for the postmill view
And John Piper for the historic premill view

But then it would be a Reformed intramural debate.

By the way, you can hear three of
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: theological
Nothing too surprising in this book...

After seeing the dispensational position easily refuted, I find it hard to believe that it's still the dominant eschatalogical view today amongst evangelicals.

I was truly disappointed in the defense of the post-mil position -- I'm not post-mil, but I found the "theology derived from news headlines" approach taken by the author of the post-mil position to be quite surprising (since this is usually one of the main critiques made of the dispensational position)
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A pretty good overview of four major Christian eschatological views; Amillennialism, Postmillennialism, Historic Premillennialism, and Dispensational Premillennialism. A couple of the authors could have done a better job. I thought the dispensational author did a poor job and didn't interact with the Scriptures much and the Postmillennial author presented a weak case. The Historic Premillennial author did an excellent job, and the Amillennial author did pretty well too.
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eschatology
good overview of the 4 views of millennium. ammil still sounds most convincing to me, though i've become a little more sympathetic to the historical premil...but, definitely not dispensational premil. and postmil has some serious flaws that needs to be dealt w/. of course, i wouldn't give my life defending any of these positions of obvious reasons...
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
The premillennial and amillennial views are well presented here, but the dispensational position and the postmillennial essays aren't strong arguments (the former being a mess of scripture citations and the latter being argued from too heavily away from scripture and on current events). The quality of the responses vary, but it's still a reasonably good intro to four major positions.
Rick Schworer
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a good book that shows the various views well. I like that there are four different people saying what they believe.

I didn't give it a five star because the author of the book puts his bias into it, and the book isn't supposed to be about that.
Robert Fonseca
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book I have read regarding various views on the Millennium. I like this book more, because Revelation 20 is dealt with in greater detail. Great read no matter your view on the Millennium. I highly recommend!
Guilherme Nunes
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
O capítulo do George Ladd é o melhor, na minha opinião! Muito bom!
Erik Spohr
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
Good introduction of the four major millennial views held in protestantism.
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hoekema is Reformed but offers great balance... fantastic for those who want to take a deeper look into eschatology.
Rick Hogaboam
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Should've been longer. A bit dated now.
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I only skimmed the sections by the dispensational premillennialist. I've had it "up to here" with the dispensationalists. The rest of it was good.
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
  • Three Views on the Rapture: Pre; Mid; or Post-Tribulation
  • Predestination & Free Will: Four Views of Divine Sovereignty and Human Freedom
  • Hell Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents Eternal Punishment