Start by marking “George Knows” as Want to Read:
George Knows

George Knows

An egotistical magical basset hound named George believes it's his duty to train and protect his 12-year-old Girlpup, a greenwitch named Karly. He and his Girlpup must solve a murder as well as save their park from being developed. George is the perfectly designed familiar for the job.
Published May 16th 2014 by MuseItUp Publishing (first published December 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about George Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Knows

Basset's point of view
Familiar to young greenwitch
Must solve mysteries

This author knows dogs
Brilliant look into dog's mind
Awesome children's book
Renee
George Knows is a hilarious story told from the perspective of a self-centered, egotistical basset hound who is an absolute riot. George is Karly’s “familiar” or an animal that has a special connection to a human. In this story, that would be Karly (aka, “Girlpup” from George’s perspective), a 12 year old girl who also happens to be a greenwitch-in-training. A mystery begins to brew when Karly and George discover some human remains in the forest, along with a menacing presence, which they ...more
Adriana
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Well Written
George Knows by Mindy Mymudes is hilarious at time while being lightly melodramatic in some sense of the word. It all begins with George describing Girlpup somewhat. My interested really perked the moment I read “mind-link” magical words for me to pay attention and keep on reading.
There is a scene, at the beginning, where George finds questionable bones and Karly wants to have Aunt Heather’s look at them. All sorts of little episodes start to happen. It seemed that images of
Ivy H
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
5 big Aroooo's ( Beagle howls ) for this funny and adorable children's book !

George the magical beagle is trained to be a witch's "familiar" and he is the star of this little adventure. He's smart, he's greedy, he's cocky, he's got SKILLS, and he has the most entertaining manner of dropping a lot of comically condescending musings about everybody. The relationship between George and his "Girlpup" Karly is seen through George's eyes; in fact the entire novel is told from George's point of view
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
A wonderfully fun para-mystery for readers of most any age!

GEORGE KNOWS is delightful mystery told from the perspective of, George, an extremely egotistical basset hound. Each line from George left me smiling. I have a feeling most of our pets think the way he does. From the first couple of pages, we learn George is a familiar to Karly, a young pre-teen witch in training.

The mystery begins when George and Karly discover human bones. Whose are they, how old are they, and what happened, are
Faith
George Knows is a very well written book, that is fun for all age! I truly enjoyed reading a story told from a lovable, magical dog's pov.

I loved George's inner dialog about his Girlpup, Karly. How he and Karly see "the creep" aka boypup Joey.

Auntie Heather is a unique, funny, and very like-able secondary character. Karly is learning her magic from her, and how to use her connection with her familiar George.

Travel along with George and his 'pack' as they investigate the happenings going on in
David
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Knows, by Mindy Mymudes, is a treat for children that adults can enjoy as well. This is not always the case with children's books, but Mymudes has managed to get it right. Her self-confessed love of Basset Hounds makes her observations of the animals behavior a good guide for a story told from the perspective of a Basset Hound, in this case George.
George is a familiar for a family whose twelve year old daughter is a witch in training. It is Georges job to train her. His efforts are
Nancy Goldberg Wilks
Fabulous book!

Highly Recommended!
Mindy Mymudes
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Fun read
Joan
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Knows, by Mindy Mymudes, is a fun, fun book for children that adults will enjoy as well.

George, is a funny, self absorbed, always hungry, slightly attention deficit disorder affected Basset Hound who just happens to be an animal familiar of a budding teenage witch names Karly. As with all budding relationships, things do not always go smoothly, often with laugh out loud results.

As a long time dog owner, I was really pleased to see how the author told this charming story from the dog's
Tammy Mabire
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delight, not only for kids, but for older "kids at heart". When George speaks, it's like hearing inside my dogs head. Love it, and can't wait for George's next adventure! Definitely 5 Stars!!!!
Lin Holmes
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laughter...there are so many opportunities to laugh as this story GEORGE KNOWS makes you laugh until your sides are splitting, BUT our cunning author starts the laughs rolling with her name...Mindy Mymudes...unless I'm five sheets short of a full sail the last name is a euphemism for My Moods! Am I right?

Moving on...GEORGE KNOWS is a story written for a target area of the young...Since in my earlier incarnation...okay it was THIS one, but back before the car accident took my career from me...I
Jordan
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“George Knows” is a sweet, funny read. A lovable basset hound tries to teach his “Girlpup”, Karly, how to be partners with him as a witch/familiar duo. She has not yet learned to accept and share their mind link, and she tends to see him as a bit of a nuisance. George often becomes exasperated with her while patiently waiting for her to realize that she can make things much easier for both of them if she just opens her mind and listens to him.

The story seems to be about family and coming
Kerrie Salsac
This book is written through the eyes of George, the basset hound, and the book holds a wonderful charm because of it.

Mindy takes us into the mind of our beloved pets, and shows their interpretation of our actions. From the leash being a means of controlling his 'peep' rather than the other way round, to his ravenous appetite, and inability to keep his mind off of food for very long.

There was many a time when I recognised my own two dogs in George's actions.

George works more with his nose than
Dee
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
*Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy for review from the author and VBT cafe and all opinions are my own.*

George Knows is a super fun story that not only kids will enjoy, but many adults will as well.

This is a unique story that is told from George's point of view - a smart, clever Bassett Hound. Seeing the story through his eyes made for an enjoyable read. It was quite comical at times, and I found myself cracking up quite a bit throughout the book. There is quite a mix of mystery, magic
Rachel V.
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. There are a lot of tween/teen books out there that make really enjoyable fun reads for adults and this is one those. George is a Bassett Hound and a familiar trying to help train a young witch. She doesn't want to listen to him, so she makes it hard for him to help her. George is a great character that has problems thinking of things other than his stomach because he's ALWAYS hungry. At first it was a little hard getting used to how George "talks" but after a few ...more
Anne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp of a read through a world of magic & mystery led by a personality- plus Basset Hound named George. Normally I am not a reader of fantasies but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although the book is geared to the pre-teen or teen market it is a fast & enjoyable read for most ages. George is a "character" and I hope that this is the first of his adventures!
Bryan
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding story, outstanding storytelling, and a frankly magnificent main character whose very drool has magical properties.

Extra points for not being heavy-handed and clubbing us with "An Important Message!!!" while resolving the plot, and for putting one of America's under-utilized local folklore monsters.

Filing this one under 'read again, many times'. Woof, baby.
Denise
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book! It combines my favorite genres of literature. When I was growing up it was mystery with that of paranormal which is I enjoy as an adult. Geared to a middle school reader it actually appeals to all. I can't wait to gift the middle school, I work in with both the ebook and paperback versions. Hope there will be a sequel, please, please, please!
Suzanne
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little read for children of ALL ages! It reminded me of the old Nancy Drew novels, except that the hero is a magical basset hound! I'm looking forward to more humorous adventures and mysteries to be solved by George!
Melissa
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging story and lovable characters. Mymudes has the attitude of the hound down to an art!
Ken
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like George. He's smart and funny and I'm sure you'll like him too!
Marissa
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a magical basset hound, George, meets 12 year old greenwitch Karly, he takes it upon himself to protect and train her. The two soon get caught up in a murder investigation though, which they then have to solve. And how does saving the park fit into all of this?

I love stories involving magic and witches. One of my favorite thing about kids' books is how there's a lot of room to play around with fantasy elements like magic and guardian basset hounds. I also love how there's also plenty of
Monsterella Reviews
What do you get when you mix magic, murder, witches, and Familiars, with an egotistical Basset hound? A great story!

Karly is just finding out that she's a witch and how to use her powers when her and her Familiar, a Basset named George stumble upon human remains. This leads them on a journey that has magic seeping through like a fog. Her aunt Heather is a well established witch who is helping Karly to understand her magic, along with George, and aides her on her quest.

Heather is dealing with
Brenda Rezk
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! This book is meant for kids, but as a forty-five year old, I found it enormously entertaining! This would make a great cartoon!

The book is told from a dog's point-of-view. The author has pegged it. But, this isn't just any dog; this is a some-what magical dog, who is forging a mind-link with his young girl-witch, Karly. Under the tutelage of Aunt Heather, George and Karly are learning how to combine their energies to heal each other, as well as others. In the meantime, there are
Attica Musings
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew what a basset hound would sound like? George most definitely is his own dog. Endlessly hungry, just like my springer, he is most probably a good match for the Captain Underpants graduates. He is all dog, with a magical twist. Told in his own voice, a most definite penchant for bodily functions, that boys find funny, like farting, the story is part mystery, part magic with a big part of ecological education. Put your sleuth into the mix and magic will appear. I wonder what the audible ...more
Rose Montague
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a cat person and still loved this book. A dog familiar told from the standpoint of the dog. Inventive, funny, and just an enjoyable read. Happy to hear the drool continues in Book 2. I would recommend this book for MG, YA, and adults.
Louisa
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read.

Hope there are more books feature George and his girlpup
Alicia Obertin
Oct 21, 2014
Mindy Mymudes
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »
Mindy Mymudes runs with the Muddy Paws Pack in Milwaukee, WI. She insists she is alpha, even as the dogs walk all over her. She hunts, cleans the den and keeps them entertained. When she can escape the pack, she enjoys digging in dirt, listening to audiobooks, and weaving the antics of the pack into stories. The alpha male, Tall Dude, just shakes his head and stays out of the way.

Find Mindy on