Start by marking “Formerly Fingerman: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Formerly Fingerman: A Novel

Formerly Fingerman: A Novel

"[A] delightful read--Joe Nelms is a talent to watch!" --W. Bruce Cameron, author of The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

"A smart mix of humor and humanity... An energy drink for the funny bone." --Jane Wagner, author of The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Brad Fingerman was an art director in the glamorous world of New York adverti
Published January 11th 2015 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Formerly Fingerman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formerly Fingerman

Stanley Townsend
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this based on some glowing reviews. A ways into it, I was bored and wondering what reviewers saw. I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. Very witty. Great characters.
Dave
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable! A quick, fun, amusing read.
Kes Townsend
I really liked this book. I like the way the author divided the chapters and loved the story line. Thanks for a great tale.
Jonathan Nations
Great read. Joe wrote a rocking book and continues. Keep on writing amigo.
Nicole Bishop
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the author's sense of humor immensely, but the ending felt rushed. The protagonist is easy to relate to, but also kind of the type of protagonist you actively dislike at times. Which I guess makes sense, we don't always like ourselves either.

Will definitely read any other novels from this author.
Jill
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I never got into this book. I thought maybe once I got to the middle it would get better but it never did. There was just to much going on and really didn't make since to me. To me it was a let down and I am glad I didn't pay for it.
Tanya C.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Reseña en español: http://boisde-merveilles.blogspot.com...

This is a short and light read, to be honest the premise didn’t caught my attention that much but I wanted to unhaul it so I decided to give it a try, what if I liked it?

This book has a light story with a comical tone to it, or at least it pretends to be comical. Regarding to humor, I’m really hard to please, what most people might find funny I don’t… still this seemed funny sometimes, not enough to make laugh but maybe I smiled or something while reading
Tony
Jan 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I got this book because of the cover. The cover is kind of awesome. I got 100 pages into the story and realized, I am 1/3 of the way through a book and while I have no clue how it is going to end, I do not care how it is going to end either. Brad is a flawed protagonist, which is fine with me, except, that his biggest flaw (constant lying to everyone about everything except a guy in a chicken suit) it not really any fun. The situations he puts himself in are his own fault. Everyone in this book ...more
Franklin
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I downloaded this book after it popped up on Facebook as the funniest novel Lily Tomlin had read in a while. Then there was the cover blurb from Artie Lange calling it "hilarious". Sad to say it was neither and hardly original. Bill Fitzhugh, Carl Hiassen, and Tom Dorsey all do this kind of thing ten times better.

Not that it is a bad book or unenjoyable, it is just not on the level of better writers whose books I have genuinely laughed at. There is a seriousness that sneaks in here that ruins t
Jamie L
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun little jaunt. Irreverent, but amusing. I liked the characters, but wouldn't care to read a sequel (not entirely sure I'd read another book by this author simply because he wrote it...it would have to intrigue me in some other way). The ending was mostly satisfying.

It took me over a week to get through the first 150 pages and I have no idea why. The book is fast paced and I never lost interest, but I just couldn't get motivated to read it. I read the last 150 pages in about a day
Craig Simpson
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not laugh out loud funny...but humorous enough to make you smile. Nice pacing for book about a Advertising Creative Director who loses his job, his wife, his life (as he knows it) and is forced to start over again in the most undesirable of places and situations while avoiding the mob.
Cynthia
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book, actually quite a while, maybe 70 pages?! But, it does gather some momentum, as it goes...... & I was glad I stayed with it. It had me chuckling out loud several times....it's a bit of an almost 'slapstick like' comedy of errors... It's pretty goofy!?
Joy Bryant
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blurbs on the cover are exuberantly complimentary to the point of making me think it's overpromise. But this book is funny. Smart, well-written and full of great characters. I will admit to laughing out loud.
Mark Vargo
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nothing bad...just nothing good.
David Fox
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Started off really entertaining and witty. Didn't end poorly, just not as strong.
Michelle
Very funny book!
Stacey
Sep 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh... I just wasted how much of my life?
Jack Goodstein
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Amusing comic thriller:out of work ad man doesn't quite witness a mob hit and gets into a witness protection program that doesn't quite protect.
Alex Kloiber
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funnier than I expected. Lot of heart. Easy read. Would make a great movie.
Becky
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

Easy, fast , and enjoyable. Some funny parts too. I'd recommend for a long air plane ride or traveling situation.
mchltns
Nov 04, 2016
Chris P.
Apr 04, 2015
KarnagesMistress
Jul 31, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
David Ridgway
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bestiary
  • Dead Jack and the Pandemonium Device
  • Stories for Chip: A Tribute to Samuel R. Delany
  • War of the Coffee Bean (Alienbutt Saga, #1)
  • Shotguns v. Cthulhu
  • Questionable Practices: Stories
  • Ripley's Believe It or Not!
  • Nightmare's Realm: New Tales of the Weird & Fantastic
  • I'll Be You and You Be Me
  • Memoranda
  • The Kraken Sea
  • The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Sneaky People
  • Kings of Infinite Space
  • Coffee Gives Me Superpowers: An Illustrated Book about the Most Awesome Beverage on Earth
  • Was Superman a Spy?: And Other Comic Book Legends Revealed
  • Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat
Joe spent the last twenty years working in advertising, television and film including senior positions at DMB&B, Grey, BBDO and Warner Bros. serving clients like Pepsi, GE, Campbell's, Foot Locker, the Harry Potter series, the Ocean's 11 series, and The Matrix Trilogy.

Joe was co-founder, artistic director, producer and director of Live On Tape, a live sketch comedy show that was bo