Start by marking “Pinhook: Finding Wholeness in a Fragmented Land” as Want to Read:
Pinhook: Finding Wholeness in a Fragmented Land

Pinhook: Finding Wholeness in a Fragmented Land

Janisse Ray, award-winning author of Ecology of a Cracker Childhood and Wild Card Quilt, writes an evocative paean to wildness and wilderness restoration with an extraordinary journey into southern Georgia's Pinhook Swamp.

Pinhook Swamp acts as a vital watershed and wildlife corridor, a link between the great southern wildernesses of Okefenokee Swamp and Osceola National Fo

Published April 30th 2005 by Chelsea Green Publishing (first published March 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pinhook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pinhook

Michelle
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was magical for me. A fabulous mixture of natural history, narrative, and poetry. I never knew what I was going to get with each short and sweet chapter. She had me there, really there and loving the swamps of our south eastern America...a place I have never been and never dreamed that I would want to go. Natural grandeur is all around us. No matter where we live...it is there if you look and love enough to see it. And in turn, be compelled to save it. Janisse Ray is dedicated to savin ...more
Josh
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. The author's passion for this place and for wildness in general is evident. Her voice in this book makes a strong, but eloquent case for the need to preserve Pinhook and the adjacent areas. Anyone who lives in this part of the country should read this book so hopefully an appreciation of our wildness can be fostered.
Michelle
I enjoyed reading this book about putting an ecosystem back together and what it means to be fragmented in community and landscape. The book felt a little disjointed and it's not my favorite of the other books I'veread of hers (Ecology of a Cracker Childhood and Wildcard Quilt), but this was still good reading. My favorite parts were in the italics! So glad I discovered her and she has given me many places to my "must visit" list in the southeast.
Dianne
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and excellent exploration of the longleaf and swampy communities in an area along the GA/FL border called Pinhook, and the heartbreaking struggles to save and preserve these habitats. This book set me off on a long journey of reading about longleaf pine...
Liz
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Liz by: Ashby
The ecology and history of the longleaf pine forests in the southern United States and this woman's elegantly written story of how it is slowly being saved.
Randall
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have found a renewed interest in nature writing. Sense of place is very southern. This book is a quick read about South Georgia and the denizens who live in the area.
Deb
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a missing piece of the puzzle.
Holly
Anyone interested in ecology want a free book? I can't get into this.
Carol
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love what Ray is doing generally as a writer and activist, but thought this was the weakest work of hers I've read so far. It felt more like a long essay patchworked into a book.
Lee
May 10, 2010
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
is an American writer, naturalist, and environmental activist.

She attended North Georgia College, 1980–82; Florida State University, B.A., 1984; and the University of Montana, M.F.A., 1997.

Her first book, Ecology of a Cracker Childhood, recounts her experiences growing up in a junkyard, the daughter of a poor, white, fundamentalist Christian family. The book interweaves family history and memoir