Start by marking “From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)” as Want to Read:
From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)

From Dead to Worse

(Sookie Stackhouse #8)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  167,664 ratings  ·  3,628 reviews

Published May 6th 2008 by Ace (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about From Dead to Worse, please sign up.
SmarterLilac I've been reading out of order and not having any trouble following the plot threads. CH does a good job of keeping readers 'up to speed' about…moreI've been reading out of order and not having any trouble following the plot threads. CH does a good job of keeping readers 'up to speed' about relevant plot info from other books, without sacrificing too much of her otherwise quality prose. So, yes, I think this book can be read without reading the others.(less)

·  167,664 ratings  ·  3,628 reviews

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: A housekeeping book. All loosed ends and continuing plot threads resolve and a new series paradigm is established.
Michelle
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Celia
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book could have been subtitled "How to Wind About Four Different Tiny Storylines into One Relatively Small Book and Maintain a Ridiculous Level of Detail So That Readers Can Calculate Exactly How Much Coffee My Heroine Drinks Each Day". Yes, it would have made marketing the book a bit difficult, but might have given readers a better idea of what to expect.

Sookie encounters a war in the were community, then a war between the vampires, then she breaks off her relationship, then she discovers
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-reads
OH, OH, OH. Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. This gal just cannot catch a break! In this book, we learn a little more about where Sookie's 'gift' comes from. She finally sees Quinn again. Eric has a couple of surprises for her, and gets a big one himself. There's death, mayhem, and magic all around...and Sookie has to figure out if she can learn to accept her life in this new world of danger, insecurity, and maybe....love?

If you've been following Sookie's story. GO...RIGHT NOW! Stop reading and go get th
Amanda
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I want to give this one a four-star because it's C.Harris and she's amazing. Her voice is utterly unique and delightful and I love her characters. What's more, her world is very real, her vampires are interesting, and I love that she's taken all of her carefully laid-out plots and sent them topsy-turvy in the wake of Katrina. Very little has driven home the tragedy of Katrina as well as CH's last few books.

But this was clearly not a whole novel -- it was more like a handful of short story ideas
This was another enjoyable instalment in this series, and there were several things that surprised me.

Sookie of course ended up in mortal danger at points in this book, and she was lucky to end up alive really. There were some problems between the wolf packs, and problems between the vampires, as well as the arrival of an unexpected relative to deal with, and Sookie really did find herself in some shockingly bad situations! That being said, there were some things that surprised me, and a couple
Beth
I liked this book so much better than the one before it and I’ve been trying to figure out why but am coming up empty-handed.

Without going overboard, this is basically what happens (mild spoilers only):
--Sookie meets some new relatives
--Quinn and his warm penis go missing
--the Debbie Pelt issue will.not.DIE!
--there’s a Were war
--a bunch of Weres die
--Amelia’s dad shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia’s mentor shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia engages in some girl-on-girl action with Pam
--ther
Jamie Collins
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
The book was entertaining, but something is beginning to bother me about the writing as I continue with this series, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's that Sookie's inner voice is starting to sound like that of Harper Connelly, the protagonist of Harris' other paranormal series, and that's not a good thing. Like Harper, Sookie seems detached, reacting to events without really feeling anything. The shallow writing style also makes it seem as if Sookie isn't very bright. (Her S
Geraldine O'Hagan
Oct 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Angie
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
From Dead to Worse is the eighth Sookie Stackhouse book and, after reading it, definitely a comfort Sookie for me. Meaning, of the eight books so far, this is one I'll go back and reread when I want to feel good about things again. Right up there with numbers four and five-- Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail. And, yes, I realize that my favorite Sookie books are also the ones with a high Eric factor. That's just the way it is. Fortunately, Ms. Harris seems to be channeling the good Eric ...more
Valerie
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
From Dead to Worse is the eighth book in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. After not liking the last installment overmuch (All Together Dead), I thought FDTW was a nice return to Sookie's roots and the foundation that made the series so good in the first place - Sookie being herself back home in Bon Temps, Louisiana.

This book seemed like somewhat of a transition. After the huge events of the last book and the vampire summit, this book seemed to take a breath and recover a bit.

The cast
Fabian
Apr 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Imagine my surprise when on an unwanted trip to Wal-Mart I found the new Charlaine Harris, on sale, and newly printed on paperback! Book 8 was read super fast by me, but relished like super spicy green coconut thai curry, as I now realize that only sporadically will I be afforded the opportunity to read up on Sookie & pals.

I must admit my initial fondness for something that began masterfully enough but has since degraded itself to comedy, cliche and confusion. Sookie is still the same--as ar
Ria
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Can't get any worse.

When you don't care about Bill,Quinn,Tanya,who will Sookie date and whatever is happening with Jason and Crystal, it's kinda hard to care about anything that is happening in this.
gif
Marianne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

From Dead to Worse is the eighth full-length novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Sookie attends the society wedding of the year, expecting to go as a guest, but ending up as a bridesmaid and a barmaid. Enlisted for her telepathic powers, Sookie’s efforts to reconcile opposing factions of the Shreveport weres deteriorates into a battle that sees many dead. She also finds herself in the middle of a hostile takeover of the Louisiana vampires,
Wanda
Flufftastic. The Sookie soap opera rolls along in yet another installment. Life in Bon Temps, Louisiana, is never dull. This series is showing its longevity at this point, with an awful lot of threads to keep weaving, making this book very much a busy pattern.

Relationships are always the main focus of these novels, and lots of things shake out in this installment. Quinn gets kicked to the curb for being a mama’s boy, Alcide becomes an also-ran but gains in werewolf pack status, Bill attempts to
Richard Derus
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75* of five

The Publisher Says: After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the manmade explosion at the vampire summit, everyone human and otherwise is stressed, including Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

It's clear that things are changing whether the weres and vamps of her corner of Louisiana like it or not. And Sookie, Friend to the Pack and blood-bonded to Eric Northman, leader of th
Wealhtheow
This is the eighth book about Sookie Stackhouse, psychic barmaid, and it shows. There is a lot of history and a whole mess of background characters and ex-love interests clogging up the works. But the premise that made these books so popular holds true. Sookie remains a good, though far from perfect, person, and I enjoy reading her adventures from her kind-hearted but slightly catty point of view. Although Sookie's mind-reading gives her an edge in many situations, she's wildly underpowered comp ...more
Nicole
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
***November 2018 Update***
So this one wasn't quite as action packed but a lot happened. Not only does Sookie have protection of the Shreveport Were's now we has Vampire protection as well. We also got to meet Hunter - he seems like the cutest little boy and he's a telepath as well. Also we get to meet Niall - Sookies great grandfather in this one, another Fairy. He is an interesting character. FINALLY Eric remembers everything from his time with Sookie - things with them should be picking up soo
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
This is where it starts to go downhill, in my view. I recall skimming a lot of this because I just wasn't interested in the werewolf politics and war. Plus, the fairy stuff comes in more and that was never my favorite part of the series. If I'm not mistaken, Quinn is just almost written off in this one until Sookie finds out where he's been. I always disliked how their relationship ended. Quinn basically chooses his family over Sookie, but the way it played out seemed like a bit of lazy writing ...more
Pam Nelson
❤ 5 From Dead to Worse ❤

This book has it all, we have Erik.. ohhh baby.. He remembers!!! Yay! But there are things he is having to deal with, and he can’t devote his time to Sookie right now.

Sookie is going through some crazy emotional roller-coasters. Her boyfriend the Weretiger isn’t who she hoped he would be. :( This made me sooo sad.

Jason needs to be smacked I don’t care that he is Sookie’s brother what he did was wrong and I for one am glad Sookie laded down the law.

Learning about more f
Redfox5
The more I read this series, the more I like it. I've kinda stopped comparing it to the tv show now.......kinda.

**SPOILERS**
Sookie finds herself in more supernatural trouble. The weres are being murdered, the vamps face a hostile takeover, Bob finally becomes a man again - an angry one and Eric remembers.

She also dumps Quinn which I was gutted about. A stupid reason as well, he put his family first. Not being funny Sook but he's only known you about 5 mins, it's not like you're married or a
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

In Depth

Best Part:
It was short.
Worst Part: Boring af.
Thoughts Had: Ugh. Just kill someone!

Co
Gemma
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
The latest in the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series, this book ties up a number of loose ends from the previous novels, and charges ahead from the first page.

I need to re-read it before I really form a strong opinion on this one. I absolutely enjoyed it, and it earns a 5/5 rating for sheer fun and fast paced plot, but the author made some decisions that I found personally disappointing, and I felt less involved in this book than I have been with the previous novels. That said, I did read it in one day
Lauren
From Dead to Worse
3 Stars

Harris's world building is fascinating and Sookie is a delightful and down-to-earth heroine. Nevertheless, something is missing from this installment perhaps because it is a bridging book with the storyline moving in a new and completely different direction.

Plot threads from previous books are wrapped up quickly with well-established characters disappearing, and new people and elements are introduced. Shaking things up is not necessarily a negative, but not all of the i
Dani Jade
This book seemed a little different - there was a series of different, and mostly unrelated, things happening rather than one main plot, which was unusual. It kinda seemed like there were several things/plot-lines/groups etc that needed to advance (plot-wise) so she threw them all into this book to move the story ahead.
So it's important to read, in order to understand the next books in the series, but it's perhaps not as exciting as others.
Jim
Longer than the last couple of books, better in some ways, it had multiple story lines. Sookie generally has one major issue to work through, this time she had half a dozen or so & it made the book feel a bit unfocused. Not bad & I'm glad I read it. It's fun, fluffy candy reading - very relaxing & enjoyable. It should certainly be read in order with the rest of the series.
Seth
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: modernfantasy, sf-f-h
NOTE: I didn't mark this review as containing spoilers, but it does discuss general plot direction. It reveals the general tone of the last half of the book. Spoiler purists may want to hold off. Most people will be fine.

A fine addition to the Sookie Stackhouse books, Dead to Worse sees Sookie dealing with the continuing aftermath of the debacle in New Orleans. Her boyfriend is still missing, the witch she picked up as a roommate is still complicating her life, her real grandfather wants to talk
Rachel
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jilly
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
"Men are incomprehensible assholes," I said to Amelia.
"No shit," she said. "When I was searching for Bob today, I found a female cat in the woods with kittens. And guess what? They were all black-and-white."
I really had no idea what to say...

Why did this crack me up? Bob is Amelia's boyfriend that she accidentally turned in to a cat.

kittens photo: kittens 000g052-pDK.jpg
I swear, baby, it's not what it looks like!

So, there are a lot of different storylines going on in this book, but no romance at all. That was kind of refreshing.
Angela
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
From Dead to Worse, the eighth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, is an oddly transitory kind of book. A lot of plotlines from previous books--clear back to Book Four--get resolution of a kind, and groundwork is laid down for what will clearly be future plotlines for the series. We've got a New and Mysterious Relation of Sookie's showing up. We've got resolution on at least two Love Interest plots, and advancement on one other, possibly two. We've got new evidence that Sookie's brother is a m ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: From Dead to Worse [Apr 8, 2018] 24 40 Apr 17, 2018 12:18PM
What do you think? 13 139 Jul 14, 2014 11:01AM
help 3 76 Jan 30, 2014 05:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #1 - From Dead to Worse 1 2 Jan 28, 2014 04:15PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: From Dead to Worse 1 4 Jan 03, 2014 10:00PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris 1 2 Jun 27, 2013 05:57PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3)
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)
  • Tracking the Tempest (Jane True, #2)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
“I trudged back to my bedroom and pushed the door open, intending to wash my face or brush my teeth or make some stab at smoothing my hair, because I thought it might make me feel a little less trampled.
Eric was sitting on my bed, his face buried in his hands. He looked up at me as I entered, and he looked shocked. Well, no wonder, what with the very thorough takeover and traumatic changing of the guard.
Sitting here on your bed, smelling your scent,” he said in a voice so low I had to strain to hear it.
Sookie . . . I remember everything.”
Oh, hell,” I said, and went in the bathroom and shut the door. I brushed my hair and my teeth and scrubbed my face, but I had to come out. I was being as cowardly as Quinn if I didn’t face the vampire.
Eric started talking the minute I emerged. “I can’t believe I—”
Yeah, yeah, I know, loved a mere human, made all those promises, was as sweet as pie and wanted to stay with me forever,” I muttered. Surely there was a shortcut we could take through this scene.
I can’t believe I felt something so strongly and was so happy for the first time in hundreds of years,” Eric said with some dignity. “Give me some credit for that, too.”
155 likes
“I want to be first. I know that’s selfish, and maybe unattainable, and maybe shallow. But I just want to come first with someone. If that’s wrong of me, so be it. I’ll be wrong. But that’s the way I feel.” (Sookie Stackhouse)” 105 likes