Start by marking “We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers” as Want to Read:
We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers

We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers

Whether in the country or the city, creature or insect, plant or animal, a part of a big family or a small family, we all live together and we all take care of one another. We all count. (from back cover)

In this board book, Cree/Metis author Julie Flett beautifully illustrates simple English phrases demonstrating Cree Culture. Along the way, readers can practice counting
Board book, 20 pages
Published 2014 by Native Explore

To ask other readers questions about We All Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We All Count

Start your review of We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers
Megan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son and I read this book almost every night. I think my pronunciation is improving! A beautiful book.
Elizabeth
A lovely counting book including both culturally appropriate activities (like "Eight uncles ice fishing") and elements of nature (including some of my favorite illustrations, like "One prairie dog perching"). In rereading, I was also struck that all the pages that center human activity use relational language to refer to the humans ("Three aunties laughing," "Four cousins berry picking" -- emphasis mine). And the "nine fireflies flickering" page includes a human in the illustration, but the ...more
Elizabeth
We All Count is a gem of a counting book, with numbers in English and Cree (with correct pronunciation provided for the Cree numbers), along with a small counting phrase for every number. The illustrations are great, as usual for Julie Flett.

This is a great book for any kids learning to count, any kids interested in counting in more than one language, any kids that could use a counting book with indigenous-based illustrations and phrases, and any adults interested in Cree numbers.
Cheriee Weichel
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indigenous-read
It's illustrated by Julie Flett so you know the images will be amazing, and they are. Each two page spread has the numeral and the cree word for the number. Small print provides a pronunciation guide.

The images portray different aspects of cree culture. My favourite is the three aunties laughing. There is so much joy in that picture.

I also love the double meaning of we all count.
Crystal
This is another quietly beautiful book by Julie Flett. I appreciate being able to learn about the Cree culture in this simple and interesting concept book.

In the "About this book" section, Sherry Farrell Racette writes, "This book is not only for Cree children and their communities who can see themselves. We All Count is for all children to enjoy, because everyone is honored in this beautiful little book....." I agree wholeheartedly. I am glad it exists for Cree children, but also for any child
Andréa
This book works really well for teaching young kids how to count in Cree. The illustrations are appealing, the concepts are ones they understand, and the pronunciation is provided on each page so the reader doesn't have to keep flipping back and forth to figure out how to pronounce the words. Some of the numbers (like nine and ten) are a bit difficult for toddlers to say, but my 1.5-2.5 year-old crowd enjoyed trying to say each number with me.
Thomas Kupec
I loved this book, not only does it count in English but also in cree, a language almost never used. this is great for diversity in children, typically there are books about African americans or latinos but rarely native American and I think there should be more of this.
Pam Klassen-dueck
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning illustrations.
Sara
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and sweet counting book -- definitely a good choice for any toddler who likes to be read to.
Tyler Wansack
We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers is a sweet story on counting in the Cree language. On each page, the number is in English and then also in Cree, with the pronunciation right on that same page which made it great. This is a great book for a child learning how to count in another language and also is great in the fact that it teaches diversity for Native Americans. The pictures are appealing and any child can understand and relate to them. Personally, I believe that the title of the story, ‘ ...more
Lisa
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book, though it’s not one of my 2yo’s favorites. The illustrations are soothing (even if ice fishing is not something that’s in our lives!) and the title is my favorite ever, for its double meaning.
Kim
I love Julie Flett's illustrations and subtle connections among native language and culture for readers of all ages.
Ali
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great short read which includes lots of good indigenous content in the form of Cree numbers and culture.
Ben Worth

• Little You
  • When We Were Alone
  • We Sang You Home
  • Stolen Words
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • The Rose (The Red, #2)
  • This Book of Mine
  • Our Favorite Day
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Choose To Love: A Poem About Life, Love & Choices
  • A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)
  • The Vegetable Museum
Julie Flett is a Cree-Metis author, illustrator, and artist. She has received many awards including the 2017 Governor General's Award for Children's Literature for her work on When We Were Alone by David Robertson (High Water Press), the 2016 American Indian Library Association Award for Best Picture Book for Little You by Richard Van Camp (Orca Books), and she is the three-time recipient of the ...more