Start by marking “Harry Potter: the Creature Vault” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter: the Creature Vault

Harry Potter: the Creature Vault

Dementors and House-elves, merpeople and Chinese Fireball Dragons—these are just a few of the magical creatures and frightening monsters populating J. K. Rowling's wizarding world. Harry Potter: The Creature Vault is a fascinating look at how this menagerie was brought to life for the blockbuster Harry Potter film series. Detailed profiles of each creature include rare con ...more
Published October 28th 2014 by Harper Design (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter, please sign up.
Hannah I have both and although there is some crossover I think I'm learning some new stuff from this one that isn't in Page to Screen

Start your review of Harry Potter: the Creature Vault
Julie
Aug 27, 2014 marked it as to-read
More Harry Potter related books to add my to already extensive collection? And they'll also be two other editions with even more magic and goodies in 2015 on characters and spells!?

description
Kai
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, to-buy
This made me so happy! And believe it or not, it's even prettier on the inside. A perfect and wonderful gift idea for every hopeless Potterhead like me. (*subtle wink* you know...I'd really like to see this on my bookshelf...)

Find more of my books on Instagram
Kaitlin
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I just adore behind-the-scenes books for films, it seems like they are super exciting and give a really cool insight into how things are done creatively and digitally for the magical mayhem films like Harry Potter. This book focuses mostly on the characters from the films and seeing how prosthetics were made for some of them, some were digital, and many were a combination of both digital and crafted pieces.

What I liked about this book was that it was largely focused on the images
Becky
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always find these books to be a particularly pleasing addition to the Harry Potter universe. Though the facts aren't particularly always new to me, the concept art and sketches are what makes these books perfect to me - I love seeing the transition between the initial sketch to the final product and finding out how it was made and constructed to do what it does in the film.

Definitely would recommend for any HP fan!
Shaina
This is one of the neatest Harry Potter things to collect ! It shows you each creature and the specifics. I am always creeped out by Aragog the gigantic spider but he is So Cool! His concept sketches and how they decided to make him! He is actually one of my favorite HP creatures. TBC
Liz Weasleyhead
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to all the crazy potterheads out there :)
there are so many awesome drafts, concept arts and additional background information in this beautiful book :) it's really worth the money :)
Ivy
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
5 stars

Nice to see a book about the creatures from Harry Potter. All the creatures are very cool. My favorite creature would have to be the Animagi. Hope they will be able to have werewolf rights. The plants are also cool as well.
Sara
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Just another amazing Harry Potter related book... Finally get to finish The Vaults collection and they just warm my heart. I feel like at this point I have the knowledge do all of the 8 movies by myself :)
Radwa
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A perfect treat for any potterhead.

This book doesn't offer that much new or exclusive information, but all the artwork, behind the scenes making, and the brilliant artwork and concepts (again!) make this book a must-have for any Harry Potter lover.

The book deals with how the movies made the creatures and beasts and plants in the Harry Potter books, and brought them to live, the computer and CGI process and the making of the models.

The early concepts are beautiful and it was amazing to see how s
Erin
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wizarding-world
Nice book about how the creatures from the Harry Potter movies were brought to life and it had a lot of interesting points. The reason it got 4 stars was just because a lot of the time, the creation process got repetitive and just got more and more boring to read as the book went on. Still enjoyed it, though.
Avinash
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is definitely a collector's edition for HP fans. I got it as a birthday gift from a fellow potterhead. Initially I thought that it will have the details about the creatures in the book (something like additional information on pottermore) but it turned out to be something else. It has the details about only the creatures shown in the movies. The book gives you the glimpse of how they were designed, their different concept arts from various illustrators along with the film stills and picture ...more
Mehsi
I have been drooling over this book since I found out about it. Sadly, it was quite expensive (way out of my budget at least), and so I just kept on drooling, hoping that one day I would be able to hold it in my hands and read it.

That day came on Christmas. I couldn't believe my eyes when I unwrapped this one, finally it is mine! Thanks to my sweet boyfriend who knew I would want this one for Christmas, it seems it had cost him some effort (and also money) to get this one, but he knew I would b
Melissa
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad I got a Barnes and Noble gift card and was able to purchase it. :D One of my favorite birthday presents this year. :D

As a filmmaker I like learning about the process of filmmaking and how certain movies come to life. It's interesting to learn especially since I've been working on films for several years now. I actually learned some new things like how the creature design people created certain creatures (called maquettes) first and then they were cybersca
Anna Nesterovich
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
For me this book looks like yet another misunderstanding of the intended audience. It's big-sized, published on high quality paper, with an elaborate cover. And contains behind-the-scenes information. The illustrations are good and information is interesting, but who was it all made for? People interested in movie production details probably don't care about the pompous looks of the book. And kids that buy into this "as if from the magic world" cover need a magical book, not a collection of fact ...more
Stefanie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great behind the scenes book. I loved all the artwork about what the Creature Shop went through to create all these creatures, and how much fun they had doing it. This fits perfectly on my shelf with all my other Harry Potter related books!
leynes
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I personally really like this big hardbacks that give you some extra info on certain aspects of the filmmaking journey of Harry Potter. This is a truly beautiful collection of photographs and concept art (the drawing of the mer people gets me every time - SOOOO STUNNING!)
May͛a [semi-hiatus]

Shelves: owned-books, artwork
It's Harry Potter, of course it's getting 5 stars
Lucy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Subtitled the creatures and plants of the Harry Potter films, this book depicts them in sketches, artwork tests, film captures, behind-the-scenes construction, descriptive quotes from Rowling’s books. I especially like the depictions of the models in the Creature Shop because so many of the beasties show up in the films at night so they're hard to see.
Forest Dwellers (centaur, unicorn, acromantula, hippogriff, thestral); Lake Dwellers (merperson, grindylow); Sky Dwellers (dragon, Cornish pixie);
Poison_Sophie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is well written and for people who like to be introduced to new techniques to build objects and costumes it is a little treasure. BUT despite my affection for Harry Potter I had to give only four stars because there are many mistakes. For example: They wrote "great lake" multiple times but in the german version it should be "black lake". I know it's just a detail but fans will stumble across a couple of mistakes and it annoyed me a bit.
J. Jammy May
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish every high fantasy series had encyclopaedias like this that went into details about the creatures of the world. I would kill for a book like this to be written about the Throne of Glass world!
Billie (bilbo.h)
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book. Wonderful illustrations, pictures and figures to show the beauty of magical creatures. Lots of information on how they made the creatures for the films and interesting quick facts for each one which I loved. Beautiful design and thoroughly interesting.
Zohal
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! Stunning photographs AND it is basically a behind the scenes of how each creature was created for the Harry Potter film franchise.
Emily Towne
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5⭐️. Enjoyable insight into the creature of the Harry Potter universe.
Ashley
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, hello all. Let me tell you about a book I finished the other day, since this is, as you already know, a book review blog. Apparently, I’m feeling a bit humorous today. Maybe that’s a good thing, or maybe it isn’t. But anyway, here’s how I got my hands on The Creature Vault. Just before Christmas I cam across this book at Barnes & Noble and, of course, gravitated toward it, because 1. Harry Potter and 2. LOOK HOW PRETTY. Then things just got better from there. I noticed that it was in a sect ...more
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You're going to want to get multiple copies of this book. It's incredibly insightful and full of so many behind-the-scenes facts about the filming of the Potter movies. Not to mention all the stunning artwork -- it was both fascinating and frightening seeing the visual conception morph from one interpretation to another, resulting in the final product. It really sheds light on just how dark the children's series really is. All those mermaid, goblin, and dementor drawings are quite haunting. Anyo ...more
Mia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so interesting!! And the book is so beautiful! I love all the artwork. I have so much respect for all the behind the scenes workers of the Harry Potter films. All the filmmakers and costume,make up,creature and set designers put so much hard work and effort into creating these creatures and keeping them as true to the book and realistic as possible. I'm definitely going to appreciate everything a lot more next time I watch the films. Highly recommend this to anyone who can't get enough ...more
Danielle Long
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is about all the creatures you find in the books and how the producers and artists brought them to life on screen for the masses to enjoy. Detailed information on the creatures, where they appeared in the movie and how many times they reappear. What I like the most about this book is the drawings and sketches from the beginning stages of production and how the creatures evolved with each sketch. It is a good insight on they making of all the creatures.
Iris
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informative
Of course this book was amazing! I mean, almost every book that is Harry Potter related is a good one!
I would say that this book contained some iformation that I hadn't seen before. Of course, since I've read Page to Screen, there were loads of things that I had already read, but I had never read about some creatures, like Ginny's pet, or Neville's plant. I liked learning abou them!
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful coffee table book that Harry Potter fans will appreciate, especially fans interested in the whys and hows of the design in the films. I like that it also contains references and excerpts from the Potter books. Plus, it's pretty.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Harry Potter: the Creature Vault by Jody Revenson 2 27 Feb 14, 2015 09:27AM

• The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter: The Wand Collection
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike
  • The Art of the Film: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter: Film Wizardry
  • The Art of Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
  • Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook Presents: A Magical Christmas Menu
  • Quidditch Through the Ages (Hogwarts Library)
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
  • Funny Mad CAT Meems: Funny Meems Book With Hilarious Cattos And Other Cool Jokes
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
  • Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  • Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Guide to Hogwarts
  • The Harry Potter trilogy (Harry Potter, #1-3)
  • The Archive Of Magic: The Film Wizardry Of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald
  • The Wizard's Cookbook: Magical Recipes Inspired by Harry Potter, Merlin, The Wizard of Oz, and More