Start by marking “The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)

The Diabolical Miss Hyde

(Electric Empire #1)

Forensic science, magic, mystery, and romance mix in this edgy steampunk fantasy—a retelling of the horror classic, in which Dr. Eliza Jekyll, daughter of the infamous Dr. Henry Jekyll—pursues a dangerous murderer in an alternate Victorian London.

In an electrified Victorian London, Dr. Eliza Jekyll is a crime scene investigator, hunting killers with newfangled technologica
Published February 10th 2015 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Diabolical Miss Hyde, please sign up.
Nicole Pramik Hi there, Min-Li Chua! Based on my reading of this novel, and based on my personal opinion, I would advise against giving it to a thirteen-year-old.…moreHi there, Min-Li Chua! Based on my reading of this novel, and based on my personal opinion, I would advise against giving it to a thirteen-year-old. It's clearly intended for an adult audience (i.e. ages 18 and up). (Please note there may be slight spoilers below.)

Concerning profanity, there is frequent (but not constant) strong language that involves some R-rated words (including the f-word). The bulk of the strongest language is spoken by the lead character when she assumes the personality of Lizzie, who possesses a rather uncouth demeanor.

Concerning sexual content, while this book isn't erotica, it does contain some suggestive dialogue and references, two descriptive sex scenes, and one lengthy (but non-explicit/non-sexual) revelation of a lesbian affair. Concerning the sex scenes, one is between a pedophile and an adult woman (who sets him up to kill him for his crimes). The other involves a human adult woman and a werewolf adult man, and this is the more graphic of the two scenes. (There also may be the question in some reader's minds of whether or not this qualifies as bestiality as the incident occurs while the man is in full animal form.) Lastly, the lesbian affair is revealed through exposition, so while no sexual activity is described, it's given quite a bit of attention through characters' discussions.

Overall, I enjoyed the mystery element of this book and the steampunk world-building was well-done. But the content, in my opinion, was a bit trashy, if I'm being honest. Without it, it would have made a good story.

If you're looking for some more age-appropriate steampunk, I would recommend "The Iron Thorn" by Caitlin Kittredge, "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare, "Dead Iron" by Devon Monk, and "Etiquette and Espionage" by Gail Carriger.

Hope this helps! :)(less)
Vanessa J. Based on what I've read so far, I wouldn't tag it as a paranormal romance. It's more a mystery/thriller than anything else, and I wouldn't say this is…moreBased on what I've read so far, I wouldn't tag it as a paranormal romance. It's more a mystery/thriller than anything else, and I wouldn't say this is a book that just women might enjoy.(less)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
There is a murderer loose in London that is slicing of women’s limbs for some insidious purpose. Dr. Eliza Jekyll is a crime scene investigator and she is called out to the first crime scene and there she meets Captain Lafayette from the Royal Society. She must be very careful around him since magic is strictly forbidden and the Captain is hunting anyone that uses magic of any kind. But the need for her to take the elixir is sometimes too strong for her to resist.

I bought The Diabolical Miss Hy
Natalie Monroe
"I want you to meet your new sister, he'd said that night, as she trembled, the hot sweet scent of elixir watering her thirsty mouth. Perhaps you've dreamt of her. Her name is Lizzie Hyde, and she wants you to be happy...but you mustn't ever make her angry, my sweet. You mustn't ever betray her. She won't understand."

The Diabolical Miss Hyde is one of those cases where the book itself is nice and creative, but you're just not feeling it. I mean, a gender-bender Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde should h
Bec McMaster
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I rarely gush about books, or review them, unless they are simply so full of awesome that I have to share my love with the world! Let's just say, I adored this book. It's dark, the mystery is fascinating, the world building is fantastic, and the characters are just... incredible. At first, after meeting Lizzie, I thought it was going to be difficult for Eliza to be half as compelling, but she definitely held her own, and I loved the interaction between the two. They are both protective of each o ...more
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
I read this for the Darkest London square for Halloween Bingo

In London, we've got murderers by the dozen. Rampsmen, garroters, wife beaters and baby farmers, poisoners and pie makers and folk who'll crack you over the noddle with a ha'penny cosh for the sake of your flashy watch chain and leave your meat for the rats. Never mind what you read in them penny dreadful: there ain't no romance in murder.

This was a mashup of steampunk, Victorian, Gothic, and classic horror. Our heroine is Dr. Eliza
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Steampunk isn’t my usual genre, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Diabolical Miss Hyde. While it isn’t particularly heavy on the steampunk elements, the gender swapped Jekyll/Hyde story in a fey-ridden Victorian London gave the story an interesting twist.

I’ve read the original Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and I’m pleased to say that in this book, the author takes the split personality concept and makes it her own. I loved the contrast
Vanessa J.
“In London, we've got murderers by the dozen. Rampsmen, garroters, wife beaters and baby farmers, poisoners and pie makers and folk who’ll crack you over the noddle with a ha’penny cosh for the sake of your flashy watch chain and leave your meat for the rats. Never mind what you read in them penny dreadfuls: there ain’t no romance in murder.

But every now and again, we gets us an artist.”

If you've read my pre-review, you'd know that I was really excited for this book (see below of you haven't).
Heidi
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two and a half stars: A good mystery that falters with too much wandering and extraneous detail.

Eliza takes careful account of the murder victim sprawled in the alley. She was a talented ballerina, murdered, with her legs cut off. As Eliza investigates, she is accosted by Captain Lafayette, one of the enforcer's of the Royal Society. Eliza must now dodge his inquisitive questioning as she attempts to solve the crime, and all while she tries to keep her darker half, Lizzie under control. Can Eliz
Karen
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It was a steampunk twist on Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde with even a dash of Frankenstein thrown in for good fun. You follow the main characters Eliza and Lizza as they try to solve a murder, escape the Royal enforcers and figure out who they really are. The world build is prefect, I mean spot on, I normally have a hard time with steampunk and honestly sometimes, especially when Eliza was talking it did seem a little verbose but all and all I enjoyed it immensely. The story itse ...more
Moonlight Reader
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I always want to like Steampunk more than I actually like Steampunk.
Karissa
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I got a copy of this book to review through Edelweiss. This was a wonderfully dark steampunk story with an investigative urban fantasy feel to it. I loved the characters, the world, and the plot. The story was very engaging and incredibly fun to read.

Dr. Eliza Jekyll is the daughter of the notorious Henry. She is a doctor and works both as a crime scene investigator and as a doctor at the insane asylum Bethlam. She’s been helping to investigate a series of murders where women are found with thei
Abooktopia
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

I was fortunate enough to receive a signed copy of this dark and perplexing novel and I’m so glad I did! This novel is a new personal favourite of mine, and I cannot wait until the second novel The Devious Dr. Jekyll as part of the Electric Empire series is released this coming October. The cover is breathtaking and has completely wooed me, as it is the best cover I have seen all year! This novel has definitely compelled me to read a lot more steampunk and mystery no
Ian
DNF (read less than 50% so no rating)

I don't really want to say too much. Honestly I didn't read enough of it to be fair. What I will say is I didn't like it. The violence appeared to be gratuitous and the characters vacuous.

But I read less than 20% so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Meghan
I have this obsession with Steampunk - art, gadgets, wardrobe, lifestyle, etc - so when a book comes across my desk, I just can't help myself - I have to read it. This one especially so because it's another look at the Jekyll and Hyde story, this time a woman.

I absolutely love the cover - THIS is a physical book that I need for my shelves.

Before the story begins, there is a "playbill," giving you a little look-see at the main characters in the book. Such a cool addition to the story. More people
Mara
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2

wow. just wow. I had a few problems going in (Eliza's personality and some really excessive convolution), but still a great novel, above all as a debut.

Update: RachelW discovered this isn't a debut author, simply a new pen name. :)
Carolyn F.
Ugh! First off, what women falls in love with and agrees to become and is turned on by becoming (view spoiler) That makes absolutely no sense. And speaking of making no sense, all of these peripheral events take place and then you hear nothing about them. Was the woman in the pyre saved? What about dad? Why use an initial when any reader with half a brain could figure out who Mr. H is at the end of the book? That was a mystery that didn't even need one.

The be
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Eliza Jekyll has a string of murders to solve, but her alter ego, Lizzie Hyde, has some plans of her own in this interesting, but not great, first book in the Electric Empire series.

Opening Sentence: In London, we’ve got murderers by the dozen.

The Review:

Women are being murdered in an alternate version of Victorian London. Brutally murdered – with body parts missing. Eliza Jekyll is determined to find out who’s behind the crimes, despite hav
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Steampunk fanatics, there is a new author in town and she's taking this town with lightening, steam and mystery. Ms. Carr is a new to me author and I'm impressed. This story takes a classic story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and takes it far outside the realms most readers would guess. This is more than just a story reimagined into Steampunk with Victorian times and gas lights. This is a story of intrigue, arcane magic, persecution and murder.

Dr. Eliza Jekyll is the daughter of the infamous Dr. Je
Dragana
The Diabolical Miss Hyde is the proof that you should not judge a book by it’s cover. So, what does this cover promises? Steampunk, pretty flirty heroine, handsome hero as backup and, of course, romance. What did I get? Complex, and at times disturbing, story about a girl, fighting for her place, in a world dominated by man. Was I disappointed? Hell, no. But it did take me time to adjust.

Viola Carr takes us to a version of Victorian England we usually don’t encounter in steampunk novels. Sure, t
Kara-karina
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O_o! I've just finished The Diabolical Miss Hyde, and for once the name is apt. It's diabolical. Delicious. Vividly Gothic. Marvellously twisted and dark... I know without a doubt that this is another of my reading highlights of 2015.

Contrary to the graphics on this blog, I don't read that many steampunk books per year to make it a dominant genre for me, but from what I read I can make a list of traits that would endear me to the author forever. It has to be dark, grisly and Gothic. The world bu
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE DIABOLICAL MISS HYDE was an entertaining twist on the classic tale of THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE. I love a good murder mystery and one where the protagonist in part doesn't know if she is the killer makes for an especially juicy story. The story, like the kind upright Dr. Eliza Jekyll is split in narration between her and her more brash and violent alter ego Lizzie Hyde. One would think knowing Lizzie Hyde's side of the story would
Kira

It took me days to get through this. It's not that I didn't have the time to read because I did. I couldn't bear to read more than a chapter at a time for the first half of the book. The writing style didn't work for me. It was hard to stay engaged. It didn't give enough of the right information. All the details I wanted to know weren't there, but useless details about clothing or how a room looked were. The world building was awful. The history of the world was lacking. There were a lo
Wanda
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Harper Voyager) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Fiction / Science Fiction / Steampunk
*Rating* 3

*My Thoughts*

I was going to hold off writing my review for this book, and save it for my Steampunk Saturday feature which I am hoping to start soon. But, I'm as impatient as a little kid on Christmas morning. Why wait to open a present, when you can rip i
RachelW (BamaGal)
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to RachelW (BamaGal) by: Mara
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars. The story was interesting, if overlong and a little too much exposition for my tastes. I'm not sure how to categorize it, there was a little bit of a number of genres. Mystery, thriller, crime, PNR, UF, steampunk, horror, science fiction; it's all in there, plus a liberal dash of social commentary. There were just too many elements being drawn into the story, and bouncing all over the place. After a while it just became too much. Oh, and another round of editing for length wouldn't ha ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
What a clever idea using much loved characters both real and imagined of the Victorian Era in this thoroughly enjoyable steampunk reimagining of Dr Jeykll and Mr Hyde. And the writing is so evocative it takes you to the dingy streets of the Seven Dials and the dark and threatening corridors of Bedlam. Looking forward to the next instalment.

4.5 stars.
Melliane
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

When I heard about the book, I was immediately curious. The daughter of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? How not to be? We all know this mythical character that is often found in TV shows, movies or books, and I was excited to be able to discover his daughter here. But it’s not just that because I had two other reasons that made me want to get into this first volume. First of all the significant number of very good reviews about the novel! Oh yes, because everyo
Linda
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

Dr. Eliza Jekyll is a forensic doctor in a re-imagined 19th century London. As her infamous father did before her, she has a "shadow" side in the person of Lizzy Hyde, who hankers to be let loose far more often than Eliza is comfortable permitting. Because any type of "otherness" or hint of alchemy (anything not "provable" by known science) is forbidden, Eliza reins in her more brash alter ego with a potion she gets from a trusted friend. As she tries to solve a series of brutal murders
Beth
Eliza Jekyll is a medical crime examiner in Victorian London. She is investigating a gruesome crime, the chopper, when the Royal Society, Captain Lafayette, is sent to investigate and prove Eliza is practicing sorcery.

Eliza is caught in a web of magic, mayhem and murder with her father's work/curse pushing her toward the forbidden elixir and her alter ego.

The Diabolical Miss Hyde is a flamboyant and meticulously descriptive storytelling of Dr. Eliza Jekyll and her alter personality of Lizzie Hy
Beth Cato
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a gratis copy of the book by the publisher.

Right from the first page, I loved the voice of this and how the author handled the split nature of Eliza Jekyll and Lizzie Hyde. The plot is part mystery, part horror. It's a dark read that delves into serial killers, the sordid underbelly of London society, and the fluctuating nature of medical science and invention in an altered steampunk Victorian time period. It's not a book for everyone, and there were certainly times when I went, "
Mei
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
After a very boring and confusing start it came out as a very good book!

At the beginning everything is very confusing and I had a feeling this would be a DNF, but, because of the many raving reveiws, I kept on and it didn't disappoint.

A small pet peeve of mine: there are many onomatopoeia. I hate them because I find that they distract instead of pulling you in the action.

So, if you are a patient person and do not mind onomatopoeia, this book is for you! :)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • The Ripper Affair (Bannon & Clare, #3)
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)

Electric Empire (3 books)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • The Dastardly Miss Lizzie (Electric Empire, #3)
“Everyone loves a murder, eh? Villains in the night, tragic heroines splattered in gore. Better than an opera. Bloody vultures.” 5 likes
“Hide from the truth, which is that I'm a bad woman and I'll break this poor boy's heart just for the simple pleasure of watching beauty bleed.” 2 likes