Start by marking “How I Changed My Life in a Year” as Want to Read:
How I Changed My Life in a Year

How I Changed My Life in a Year

Straight-talking, honest and with touches of humour, Shelley Wilson shares her journey as she sets out to prove that being a 40-something, single mum with back fat and grey hairs isn't the end of life as we know it.

From fighting flab to writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, Shelley covers a wide variety of themes as she tackles twelve challenges in twelve months.

Packed w
Published May 11th 2014

To ask other readers questions about How I Changed My Life in a Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Changed My Life in a Year

Start your review of How I Changed My Life in a Year
Kelli
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
I take full responsibility for beginning the year with yet another two star book. By now I should be able to recognize a blog-turned-book but foolishly, I continue to unwittingly choose them when making hasty audio selections. I don’t typically enjoy blog-turned-book books. This one was pretty boring and presented nothing new. 2 stars.
Samantha Tonge
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An inspirational read to make you look at your life in a different way and makes some changes. It can be done! Just take it one month at time. A thought-provoking self-help book told in a friendly, relatable way.
Ana
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelley seems like a really nice person and has a great sense of humor, so I feel kinda bad for giving her only two stars. But the book really didn't live up to my expectations.
It starts interesting and inspirational but soon turns into a strange mix of being a travel guide, cook book and traffic awareness course. As a matter of fact, hadn't it been so short, I would've abandoned it.

I am very happy for her that she met her yearly goals and there is some potential into breaking your NY resoluti
Polly Walker
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
A little pedestrian for my tastes but it was a pleasant read from the position that Shelley is authentic, easy to identify with and a lovely person. It is full of good ideas but some challenges were more inspiring than others. Her month of "learning something new" included a long account of her speed awareness course, and the crafts and hobby chapters were snoozy. Her creativity and writing months were the best ones. Read this if you have very basic challenges that you're struggling to overcome, ...more
Sacha Black
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastic memoir-style self improvement book.

Wilson made me laugh out loud as well as sympathise with her journey. There are lots of ideas and suggestions for how taking on new challenges can both change your mindset and your life for the better.

I've taken away some ideas for myself that I hope I can implement, the biggest lesson for me, is that bad, self-destructive behaviours are habits, and habits can be changed.

Thank you for opening my eyes, and making me smile. A wonderful quick read t
Brittany
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how easy this book was to read- it wasn’t boring, but it wasn’t super captivating either. I noticed a shift around month 6 in which Wilson stops word vomiting and really providing reflection and advise.

One of the major problems I had with this book was the tone of the early months. It was very much her account of going through the motions because she said she would, little learning from her experiences, and absolutely no mention of follow-through. If she did really change her life in a y
Rosie Amber
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was my September treat, after the long school holidays I always deserve a treat and I do love a book that motivates me. The book title appealed to me straight away and I loved the cover with the post-it notes.

Shelley writes in a fun and amusing way and the book goes through her 12 resolutions to change her life for the better with some great lessons along the way. Shelley set herself monthly challenges and within those weekly smaller conquests. I liked the idea of a visions board of th
Julie
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
An honest account of one woman's attempts to change her life for the better over the course of a year. Setting a goal for each month, Shelley Wilson recounts how she set about achieving each goal. It was an enjoyable read, but I would have liked a bit more about whether or not these goals were maintained: it's ok doing something for a month but if you are really going to change your life you need to be able to keep these new habits going.

That said, it has given me some ideas to think about for m
Victoriat
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great for motivation! It includes some simple achievable tasks that makes you re-evaluate what you do with your time. Instead of New Years resolutions this inspires to take on new tasks/hobbies/goals throughout the year. Since reading, I have achieved more generally in a week than I would have done previously in terms of doing instead of putting things off. Actioning what I should have done ages ago As well as making time for my own interests and new hobbies. Easy reading and to the point.
Trish Hills
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't do self help books. I find them preachy and they tend to make me feel useless. This one is different. It breaks the year, and the task to change your life, into 12 (and then 52) bite sized pieces so I didn't feel intimated.

There were lots of helpful links and websites and it was so easy to findl any information I wanted. Absolutely going to keep making
changes for better!
Georgia Rose
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all need a little inspiration sometimes and How I Changed My Life in a Year is full of positivity and optimism which gives you a great big lift just by reading it. Many of us make a New Year resolution, maybe one or two of them, and how long do they last? Often, not as long as the party leftovers.

This author not only set herself 12 months of challenges, which became the less intimidating 52 weeks of mini-bite sized challenges but she saw it through.

Some of the ideas may change your life more
Helen Palmer
Some interesting ideas
Robin Morgan
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-own-books
How many of us are honestly willing to come out and admit we want to lose weight, get fit, beat the demons which are running our lives, and naturally find our sort of happiness? Basically, almost all of us have least one, and it doesn’t matter whether we’re a man or woman.

Since we can all now agree these issues do exist, but how many of us willing admit we’ve got these issues, and to do so publically and in writing? Not many. This is why we as individuals and as possible readers of this book nee
Ritu Bhathal
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ever wanted to change something and thought it was just too much hard work?
Ever wanted to make a difference, but found the task too daunting?
Well, then you need to dip into this great book!
I'm not one for 'self-help' books per se, but was intrigued to read this personal account of how author Shelley Wilson turned her life around within a year.
A year.
It may sound like a long time to actually make the changes, but in the grand scheme of things, a year isn't that long really, and considering she ma
RK
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book with a wonderful message

I loved the idea in this book, so much that I have indeed created my own one-year challenge, as the book suggests. I think it's a great idea and am very grateful to the author for writing it.
The book itself, I have to say, doesn't quite live up to the awesomeness of its premise - and het, perhaps that's the charm of it - showing that you can have an amazing, life changing experience without jetting off around the world. It makes it all seem pleasant and famili
Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of those books that dare I say it is 'inspiring' and makes you want to follow suit .... If you can be bothered, have the time, really want to!

I think my husband was trying to tell me something when he bought me this book, and tbh I know that I have read this book at exactly the right time.

I think/hope/will endeavour to follow Shelley's lead and attempt to change my life next year!

A good read - short, fun and functional.
Jenny Cook
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book blurb says straight talking with a touch of humour and this is what makes it such a good book for me. I think there are too many celebrity 'guru's' who are totally detached from reality, but the author Shelley Wilson comes across as honest and above all practical in her approach to change. It makes it easy for readers to identify with and realize they are not alone. I will be reading it more than once! ...more
Shelley Wilson
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So much can happen in a year and yet we often squander our time and leave our dreams unfulfilled. Writing this book was a personal journey that I enjoyed very much. It was an incredible year and a great achievement to go from being a broken, beaten woman to published author. I hope you will find some inspiration within the pages.
Lorraine Carter
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this a refreshing book on change because it is kept real at all times. The suggestions and examples Shelley Wilson gives are within anybody's reach and with a little dedication relatively easy to achieve. I also like the presentation and style of writing which makes it easy to delve into and pick up at your leisure without feeling lost. ...more
gemma botham
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

This book has given me some good ideas and things to think about. As I am just coming out of a breakup and am trying to restart my single life and do things that make me happy. As I stumbled across this book the day before new years eve it seemed like a great place to start.
Danielle
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

I too have often felt like another year has gone and nothing has been achieved. Breaking down new years resolutions into months seems to help and I will defiantly give it a go. In actual fact January's goal is to reintroduce my self with the Gym. Second week and I'm feeling positive.
Marjan Darabi-Hammond
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's amazing that how much you can do in 52 weeks, if you want to!
It's really an inspiring little book which makes you feel like if a single mum with three kids can do all these challenges, you can do it too!
Just do it and stop thinking about it!
Nikki
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a good book for motivation. I often try to do similar things and I like the way the author broke everything down into a month for each habit and is something I would consider doing now too! Worth a read!
Nikki
Creating habits that last...

Caroline Bennett
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
I didn't quite get what I was looking for with this book. I think I was looking for help maintaining goals over a year and that's not what it was really about. Having said that, it was an easy entertaining read. ...more
Stephie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I bought this on a kindle thinking it was something else so I read it anyway despite being a terrible cynic and generally ideologically opposed to inspirational quotes. Anyway, it wasn't terrible. Probably good if you want to follow through on new year resolutions etc. ...more
Rachel
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a handy and inspiring book!
I always try to do too much so I love how Shelley Wilson splits her goals up into monthly (then weekly) challenges.
This is a positive and friendly guide to life and I will be taking some if Wilson's advice for sure!
maya howden
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a motivational book,wish it hadn't ended so soon.

This book was just amazingly uplifting and expels positivity through the demonstration of determination. It made me laugh and cry, sometimes both at the same time. I will be recommending it to all of my friends
Tara Ford
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - it's a real diamond and every woman should have one (or at least read it and review it) :) ...more
Alex Rowlands
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it feels like your best friend giving some good advice with a healthy dose of humour. A very inspiring and motivating read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Walking with Peety: The Dog Who Saved My Life
  • Savages (Savages #2)
  • Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood
  • Novelista Girl (Blogger Girl, #2)
  • Bridal Girl (Blogger Girl, #3)
  • Blogger Girl (Blogger Girl, #1)
  • I Survived: A True Story.
  • Love and Theft
  • Arlington Park
  • The Organised Time Technique: How to Get Your Life Running Like Clockwork
  • Money: Know More, Make More, Give More
  • Homesick: Why I Live in a Shed
  • Not Working
  • The Mothers
  • The Goddess Revolution: Make Peace with Food, Love Your Body and Reclaim Your Life
  • The New You: Change Your Life in a Month
  • The Fiddle Leaf Fig Expert: Your Guide to Growing Healthy Ficus Lyrata Plants
  • Inside Vogue: My Diary Of Vogue's 100th Year
Shelley Wilson is a genre straddling English author of motivational self-help titles and young adult fantasy fiction.

She's published six non-fiction self-help books including her bestseller - How I Changed My Life in a Year - as well as five young adult (YA) fantasy novels. Book one of her werewolf series was a finalist in the RONE YA Book of the Year Awards and has been combined and re-released