Start by marking “The Best of Henry Kuttner” as Want to Read:
The Best of Henry Kuttner

The Best of Henry Kuttner

These 17 stories create a galaxy of vain, protective & murderous robots; devilish angels & warm & angry aliens. In Mimsy Were the Borogoves, inspiring New Line Cinema's The Last Mimzy, a boy finds a box of curious objects. When he & his sister play with them--including a crystal cube that magnifies the unimaginable & a doll with removable organs that do ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 398 pages
Published March 12th 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published February 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Henry Kuttner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Henry Kuttner

Riju Ganguly
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book purportedly contains stories written only by Henry Kuttner, the first thing that the reader has to keep in mind is that: these were joint ventures, combined efforts from two of the all-time greatest “pulp era” authors: Henry Kuttner, and his wife C.L. Moore (if you are yet to read anything written by her, you don’t know what you are missing!). Therefore, I think Ray Bradbury was being quite unfair when he had apportioned all the credits for these wonderful (an often-used word ...more
Jean-marcel
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really nice collection of short stories from an underrated writer with a talent for variety, clever twists and really novel ideas. The style is sharp and engaging and the stories range from whimsical fantasy to little pieces reminiscent of something you might see on The Twilight Zone to solid and well-thought-out science fiction. "Mimsy were the Borogoves" is a story he wrote with his wife, Catherine Lucille Moore, and it's fantastic and definitely one of the best in the anthology, and I'd say a ...more
Holmes
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words fail me as I try to describe how good Henry Kuttner's stories are. They are more than fantastic; I guess "mind-blowing" is about the only apt adjective for this anthology of short science and fantasy fiction. And Kuttner does mess with your mind: he provokes it, challenges it, lifts it to places never imagined possible, and leaves you wondering how an Earth-bound three-dimensional being (i.e. Kuttner) could create works so other-worldly and transcendental, and yet still so accessible and r ...more
Mike
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big C.L. Moore fan, and it's notoriously difficult to disentangle her work and Kuttner's. (They were married, and used to work on each other's stories.) These were published as by Kuttner, though, and don't have quite the depth of emotion that Moore's exhibited, though they're much better than average for their time in that respect.

Unfortunately, I did find them a bit overwritten. When you're being paid by the word, conciseness isn't a virtue, I suppose, but I felt that they could have be
Nicole
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have the original published book titled "Best of Henry Kuttner" He is one of my absolute FAVORITE authors when it comes to sci-fi. His stories aren't so technical that your mind is caught trying to understand everything, but they make you think. I'm really glad they published this again.

When The Last Mimzy came out as a movie I was angry that they ripped his story off and changed it because it was perfect in the book. Seriously a good read.
Mavie
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sf writers ever and definitely one of the most underappreciated. These stories were written in the first half of the 20th century in the golden age of sf. Don't skip the foreword by Ray Bradbury, it will give you a real appreciation of Kuttner as a man and an author. All of the stories are good. my favorite is The Twonky. Check it.
Mark Dickson
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along with Ray Bradbury, Henry Kuttner, (sometimes writing with his wife, C L Moore) writing as himself and under several pseudonymns raised the science-fiction craft from pulp fiction to art. A Master that is, sadly, little recognized today.
Joseph Young
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kuttner's style reminds me much of Bradbury, but with a much more conversational aspect to it. Kuttner creates a fantastical sci-fi world and instead of getting stuck in describing the details of all the new technologies, he masterfully blends in the descriptions which seem almost like afterthoughts to the human problems presented in each stories. This has made me quite interested in the rest of his works.
Jim Mann
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry Kutner died to soon, before he died he produced a tremendous amount of great SF and fantasy. The Best of Henry Kuttner features most of his best short fiction, including "Mimsy Were the Borogoves," "The Proud Robot," "The Misguided Halo," "Exit the Professor," and "Absolom." The stories range from humor to serious views of the future. Even the lesser stories (such as "The Big Night," which in many ways is a standard space adventure) are well written and good reads.

James
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Great collection! A few of my favorites:

"The Proud Robot" has got to be one of the funniest stories I've ever read--loved it! I also like the two stories focusing upon the Hogben hillbilly family--reminiscent of Lovecraft's Whateley family from "The Dunwich Horror." "What You Need" was a familiar tale; I believe there was an old Twilight Zone episode based on it.
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I picked up this book because of the movie, which I found entertaining. I found this book pleasantly surprising and thought provoking because they explore essential traits of personality and humanity. It's hard to pick a favorite story, but I think it would be between Absalom, Nothing but Gingerbread Left, and Endowment Policy.
David Szondy
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Henry Kuttner was a remarkable science fiction writer with a quirky, broad repertoire that never failed to delight or surprise.

Becky
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories. Each one is very sci-fi oriented, and generally involving technology and the way it affects human life. Each story ends with a rather profound-feeling lesson to be learned, with surprising twists and elements that really make you think.
Suzanne
A true gem...many levels of meaning.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 11, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: books-to-movies
Short Story written by Lewis Padgett entitled, "Mimzy Were the Borogoves," was what the movie, 'The Last Mimzy' was based on.
Autumn
Interesting author. I thought the best short story was A Gnome There Was, especially the ending.
Kevin Connery
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Classic Kuttner short stories
Benjamin
Excellent collection of Kuttner's most memorable works includes many classics. Highly recommended for fans of Golden Era Sci-Fi.
David
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did see that movie, on video, the year after it came out. Given that the film came out in 2007, and the author of the tale on which it was based died in 1958, it's a reminder that holding one's breath for film adaptations is never a good idea.

While the book does lead with the (very much darker) short story by Henry Kuttner that inspired the film, this collections of shorts is really "The Best of Henry Kuttner," who wrote science fiction in the middle of the twentieth century. I can't say I'd h
Tom Britz
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry Kuttner is an undeservedly overlooked writer from science fiction's formative years. He came aboard after the "golden age" and was a large part of the transition to the "modern era" of SF. It is true that his writing at times could be pedestrian, due more or less to the fact that to make any kind of living by writing in the 40's and fifties, a writer had to write pretty much non-stop. It is also true that at times, Kuttner was writing some of the best SF of his day. Sadly he died early. He ...more
Leiloni Schulz
The Last Mimzy is only one short story of many short stories in this book. The very first story is the one that the Last Mimzy is based on. Some of the short stories were extremely interesting, where as I found others to be really weird.
Tony P
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of short stories by an author from f&sf's golden age, largely forgotten today.
Vitaliy Hristyuk
Some of the best!

Some of the best Kuttner stories - some of the best SciFi stories even now. You'll like it tremendously, see if you don't.
Joseph Brown
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, nothing what I expected.
Jerry
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection of Henry Kuttner authored or co-authored stories starts with Mimsy Were the Borogoves. I probably read that story first in the amazing The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol I edited by Robert Silverberg, back in the seventies. Mimsy Were the Borogoves is still brilliant forty years later.

These are all fun stories, and the writing quality is a step up even from the uniformly high standards of this Best Of series. There’s a great story about using nonsense songs against Nazi Germany
Rog Harrison
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I did not read this edition as the edition I read was in an omnibus with "Fury" and "Mutant". Although this book is credited to Henry Kuttner most of the stories were co-written with his wife Catherine Moore. I enjoyed many of the author's short stories back in the late 1960s and early 1970s but I don't think I have read this particular collection before. I had certainly read at least one of these stories before because I remembered it vividly and I had certainly read some of his stories featuri ...more
D'andra Conyers
This book was very interesting and it had a storyline that was both interesting and easy to follow. It was sort of mysterious in certain ways which helped the story line even more. This book is about a stuffed rabbit who has something everyone wants. It has almost human like abilities and the story in a crazy and twisted manner.
Jessica McFarland
n original collection of science fiction short stories largely concerned with OOPAS and robots, with a little magic and mayhem thrown in. Kuttner was clearly inspired by Asimov’s I, Robot, and has gifted us with 17 tales that take off into more detailed, fantastic, and entertaining territory.
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My last book for 2012.. reaching my goal of reading 50 books this year just 20 minutes before midnight ;) It look me like a month to get through this one, I read quite a few books in-between and really had to force myself to finish the last 200 pages, but i did it!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I enjoyed the title story; it was nice and eerie. The others ... I read a few more, but they all seemed to be very similar in quality, and I found myself losing interest in continuing.

• The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Kaleidoskop
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Infinite Dreams
  • The Best of Fredric Brown
Henry Kuttner was, alone and in collaboration with his wife, the great science fiction and fantasy writer C.L. Moore, one of the four or five most important writers of the 1940s, the writer whose work went furthest in its sociological and psychological insight to making science fiction a human as well as technological literature. He was an important influence upon every contemporary and every scie ...more
“LEFT LEFT LEFT a wife and SEVenteen children in STARVing condition with NOTHing but gingerbread” 0 likes