Start by marking “You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want” as Want to Read:

This is an alternate cover edition of ISBN 9780553281095

Herb Cohen believes the world is a giant negotiating table and, like it or not, you're a negotiator. Whether you're dealing with your spouse, boss, department store, bank manager, children, solicitor, or best friend - in every encounter with other people, negotiating is always taking place. And how well you handle tho
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published December 1st 1982 by Bantam (first published September 1980)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Negotiate Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Negotiate Anything

Start your review of You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
Dino
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Books with titles like this one often promise more than they deliver. It's hard to find the good needles among the haystack of books of this kind that fill up the business and self-help sections of bookstores. However, this short book is refreshingly concise, and offers a lot of valuable wisdom for negotiations. Some of my take-aways are these:

1. legitimacy (the written word, lawyers/law department, policies, rules, even laws), while appearing inflexible, can still often be negotiated. We should
Neveen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Overall, I hated this book. The techniques presented here are contradictory and inconsistent. Some of them are also downright immoral. The author claims to present some unethical techniques so the user can identify, but no utilize them. However, I do not see his point. Simply, when battled with evil, you may want to resort to immorality to balance things out and this is not something I would like to be responsible for.

This book sank from 2 stars to 1 star because of the author's offensive conten
Jeremy
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn to negotiate
Recommended to Jeremy by: professor
I recommend reading the book for its countless minor lessons, but the two major lessons for me were:

(1) Everything that is produced by negotiation is subject to negotiation. Just because the store puts a sign up doesn’t mean you (or they) have to abide by it. The person with whom you’re dealing decides whether to do what you want—not the sign. So don’t be afraid to ask.

(2) Find the real problem. A lot of times when we’re negotiating, we think it’s just a matter of whose number wins, but it’s rea
Cissa
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting, though probably rather obvious to people more savvy than I am about such things. The basic point is that usually one can achieve a win-win situation- IF one is trying for that rather than a win-lose. There are definitely some tips for making this happen- and for recognizing when someone else is not cooperative with that. I was pleased to discover that in some ways I'm doing the "right thing" instinctively, though I appreciate the tips. ...more
Francis Dostie
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent instructive book. Teach us different kind of negotiation and how to handle them.

Clearly, people who complain about this book haven't read 1/3 of it... After I bought the book I red the comments and I was disappointed about this book might not be as good as I expected. However, critics against it are B.S.
Daniel Ottenwalder
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A good reminder on how all of life is a negotiation with the three most crucial elements being power, information and time.
Nguyễn Hữu Dũng
Cuốn sách mở đầu khá hấp dẫn với các khái niệm và thuật ngữ (terminology) nhưng càng đọc về sau thì càng thấy lý thuyết, không thực tế; ví dụ như phần Quyền lực: chia nhỏ Quyền lực ra thành 14, 15 quyền lực nhỏ hơn, quá khó để tổng quát @@!
Sách có rất nhiều ví dụ, một vài ví dụ rất hay (như ví dụ mua đồng hồ của 2 vợ chồng), còn lại là các ví dụ không ấn tượng lắm, có lẽ phải hiểu văn hóa và brand ở Mỹ thì mới hiểu được tường tận (ví dụ mua hàng ở Seals).
=> 3/4 then break
Một số câu hay trong s
Sandeep Mehta
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
There was nothing new in this books, the same that we have been using for a long time and that we have seen in society and are being used by some people. It basically describes the psychology between the two persons, the one who wants to negotiate and the other. And some of the concepts described are not even moral, means if you use them it shows that you are not a man of character.
I don't recommend it to others, I also won't read it again.
Lewis Van Osdel
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think some of the strategies mentioned in the book are rather useful. I have used some of them to avoid being taken advantage of the other people. Some the examples in the book are rather dated and his strategies on getting out of a speeding ticket you can't really do them anymore. It isn't a prefect book, but it does give some ideas on how to interact with other cultures, lessen the chances you will be taken advantage, and gives you some basic strategies. ...more
Filothea
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lessons-for-life
O carte extraordinara cu niste lectii fine de psihologie. Usor de citit, inteles si aplicat in viata de zi cu zi, cartea lui Herb Cohen ar trebui parcursa de fiecare.
Nelliey Makena
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Herb Cohen presented his lessons with real life scenarios that were easy to relate to which made his tips a bit more practical.
Overall the book left me with some smart tips to nailing Win-Win negotiations, so that both sides go home happy.
In addition, he presents the 3 crucial variables to any negotiation, different negotiation styles, their characteristics and a look at both sides of each style, telephone negotiations, making negotiations personal and the benefits of moving up the ladder, in al
Ngoc Le
I don't have impression about this book. ...more
Chris
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, self-help
Great book about negotiation.
Sophie Bennett
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was not great. There are some interesting negotiating techniques and anecdotes, but as another reviewer noted, some tips he gives seem kind of morally wrong. The first half of the book should have been called “How to Manipulate and Annoy Retail Workers.” I’m giving it 2 stars rather than one because there were a few helpful tidbits, but overall it kind of sucked. Also he used an offensive and outdated bit of language which was troubling.
Mario Sergio
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Este é um livro que se enquadra na categoria ame-o ou deteste-o, pois é um livro, que embora tenha se tornado um clássico, não tem uma postura acadêmica, sua linguagem é fácil e coloquial, o que pode ter desagradado muitos gurus da negociação na época de seu lançamento

Mas o que torna o livro objeto de polêmicas é o fato de que e em certos trechos trafega entre os limites da ética e do preconceito. O próprio subtítulo da versão em português é bastante politicamente incorreto; O melhor negociador
Huong Le
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
3.5
Sách self-help dễ đọc và cơ bản. Có 1 số thứ khá thú vị về đàm phán, như ai cũng có quyền lực về mặt này hay khác, tin rằng mình có quyền lực thì bạn sẽ có quyền lực :). Nói chung là phải tự tin, có chuẩn bị, hiểu đối phương, cá nhân hoá tình huống và nhân danh chính mình khi đàm phán. Nhưng bên cạnh đó một số tactics cũng buồn cười và cần da mặt dày (mà mình vốn da mặt mỏng) nên khó mà thấy phù hợp.
Nikish Chanekar
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
a nice presentation on ideas could be useful in negotiating situation. Another good point is humour full and witty way of conveying his insights. So on the whole the book is entertaing,educative and worth read if ever one is interested in this topic.
Hoàng Nhật
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful. Mind sharpening tool to master.
Omar Halabieh
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the title indicates, this book is about negotiation, which the author defines as: "What is negotiation? It is the use of information and power to affect behavior within a "web of tension." If you think about this broad definition, you'll realize that you do, in fact, negotiate all the time both on your job and in your personal life." Herb then summarizes the three pillars of negotiation, the main premise of the book: "In every negotiation in which you're involved—in every negotiation in which ...more
Anurag Bhandari
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
(I had this book around from childhood days. We got its 'special' edition (Jaico Publishing) along with our Readers Digest subscription.)

The book starts off with the definition of negotiation and clearly lays out its 3 ingredients. You'll be surprised how different that definition is compared to how most people think about negotiation. The second part discusses a couple of contrasting styles of negotiations, and how one can identify when they are being played by an unscrupulous negotiator. In th
Tshirtman
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The first chapters made me angry, the lesson seemed to be that there was just no great secret to it, to win negociations meant being a lying, manipulative, prick, ready to waste other's people time and resources, to gain leverage on them. The kind of person that ruins everyting that's good. Then things got a little more positive, of course, using such tactics is not sustainable in long term relations, commercial or otherwise, and seeking win-win results is much more interesting, the book discuss ...more
Ryan
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Like many negotiation books, the title is absolutely correct, you can negotiate anything, but the implementation and practice of many of these strategies involves a cost/benefit that will lead most people to learn the lessons but practice the actual methods more sparingly than the book suggests. Many of these methods require a time commitment and a certain attitude toward others that may not be universally appealing. I also can't help but wonder whether some of the methods described herein were ...more
Damon Stamper
Jul 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
The author tries to get some points across that may have value (keeping big picture in mind, know what their needs are and your needs are then work to get them both met) but the methods described are deeply immoral and at times petty.

I made it through 40 pages with every fifth page having some nugget of info that's good, but every 2 pages I was asking myself why he was advocating immoral techniques.

I was questioning if I should keep reading but when he suggested having a stutter to "seem like
Lasse Olsen
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because Herb Cohen (the author) was name dropped on several episodes in Silicon Valley ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. To my pleasant surprise however, the book was really great!

It's packed with insightful information on how to be a better negotiator - both privately and in business. I especially liked how he displayed multiple ways of styles, for example "soviet style" vs "win-win", and what the pro's and con's were for both.

Some of the examples you have to see what matches your lifestyle though
Georgiana Popescu
Sep 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Așa cum spune și descrierea de pe spatele cărții, totul e negociabil. Lucrarea de față este ca o punte de lansare în lumea negocierii. Pentru cei care vor să cunoască domeniul în detaliu, vor trebui cu siguranță să studieze în profunzime și alte cărți.
Pentru mine, personal, nu e cea mai bună carte pe care am citit-o, dar se menține pe poziție bună. Am reținut destul de multe informații din ea.
Ca citit, nu pot să zic ca am citit-o rapid. Pe alocuri mi s-a părut obositoare (aici depinde de gusturi
Swamy Atul
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
My learnings from this book:
Everything is negotiable.
Avoid Soviet-style negotiators, i.e. those who treat a negotiation as a win-lose war than a win-win.
Do not waste time negotiating with lackeys who do not have power to give concessions. Escalate and talk to managers.
Behave like you know more than the other side.
Hint that you have an option to walk away.
Make it hard for the other party to say "No". This can be done by 1) making them invest a lot of time in the discussion, and 2) slowing down wh
Omar Mohamed Alaa
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well it’s not as strong as the previous book on Negotiations, “Never Split the Difference”, and actually most of the solutions offered here are smeared with lies and deception, so I didn’t enjoy this book really, yet it was a good exercise to read other opinions about the same topic.

#NotBeneficialAwe
#Manga_Is_Amazing
#Tell_me_in_the_comments_how_you_eat_your_manga?
So Feier
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What’s with the negativity around this book? It’s brilliant and provides a wide spectrum of advice sometimes deviating from just negotiation techniques, and applies to life in general as well. There are some parts that got me laughing as well! If you read between the lines, there are lessons on life, chicken soup stuff and teach you how to improve your EQ. Definitely love the episode where he runs from the Mexican serape! Enjoyable read!
Asad Ali
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book does have some wonderful insights and the Author - Herb Cohen - has a good sense of humour making it an interesting read.
As other readers have pointed out, sometimes his recommendations border on the immoral and are manipulative. Herb does say later on in the book that it is for us to identify if some of the tactics listed in the book are being used against us and we need to be able to identify them and act appropriately.
But otherwise, the book is indeed an excellent read.
Aditya
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read for learning the art of negotiation,
The author talks about three elements to keep you ahead of your counterpart viz. Information, Time and Power, the book also covers how one should talk some risk while negotiating and break free from its past experience and challenges to raise your aspirations and expectations.
Real life example including the some of the top level war negotiation shows why the negotiation works.

• The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • Kotler on Marketing: How to Create, Win, and Dominate Markets
  • Self-Awareness (HBR Emotional Intelligence Series)
  • Return on Ambition: A Radical Approach to Your Achievement, Growth, and Well-Being
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream
  • 10 Days to Faster Reading
  • Kaizen: The Japanese Method for Transforming Habits, One Small Step at a Time
  • Gemba Kaizen
See top shelves…
For more than three decades, Herb Cohen has been a practicing negotiator, intimately enmeshed in some of the world’s headline dramas from hostile takeovers to hostage negotiations. His clients have included business executives, entrepreneurs, sports and theatrical agents plus large corporations - as well as governmental agencies, such as the Department of State, FBI, CIA, The US Conference of Mayo ...more

News & Interviews

For dedicated horror fans, every season is Halloween season. October is a fine month, it just doesn’t come around often enough.   Most scholars...