Start by marking “Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment” as Want to Read:
Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment

Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment

Why we are failing to protect the global environment. What we can—and must—do to succeed.

This book will change the way we understand the future of our planet. It is both alarming and hopeful. James Gustave Speth, renowned as a visionary environmentalist leader, warns that in spite of all the international negotiations and agreements of the past two decades, efforts to
Paperback, Second Edition, 352 pages
Published March 11th 2005 by Yale University Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Red Sky at Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sky at Morning

Start your review of Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment
Shaun
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was my first look at the sorrow that is our inaction. If we had followed Carter into that brave new world back then, the small incremental changes we could have made would not have been even noticed in our everyday lives and would have given us an almost 40 year jump on the climate crisis. There were smart people who saw what was coming and we failed to listen.
Ushan
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
That there is a global environmental crisis is indisputable, and the first part of the book gives much relevant statistics: the rates of desertification, deforestation, the collapse of fisheries, ozone depletion, the melting of glaciers due to global warming that threatens the freshwater supply of many countries etc. Its causes are also obvious: too many people who enjoy (or want to) too high a standard of living, a unit of which takes too much input from the biosphere and generates too much ...more
Robert Wechsler
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Although eleven years old, this book is, sadly, still very timely. It is an excellent look at the history of the environmental movement, as well as a guide to what needs to be done in the future.

Little had been done in the U.S. between 2004 and the Paris summit, and even this is only a beginning, a beginning that should have occurred at least ten years ago and is threatened by a Republican victory next year.

Speth points out alternatives to these global conferences, including JAZZ, which consists
Nicole McCann
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
very comprehensive. speth starts out by assessing our global environmental issues, explains how the developed and developing world is affected, talks about how the world responded initially, describes where the world failed to achieve when there was so much momentum, explains how globalization plays a factor in environmental deterioration, then moves on to the describing the transition to sustainability. This transition is an 8-fold path: 1) a stable or smaller world population; 2) free of mass ...more
Richard
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is great because it's a scathing, critical insight into the failure of global environmental stewardship, written by a high-level insider.

Speth served as environmental advisor to a couple of presidents and has held other prestigious positions. So you might expect someone like that to write a centrist, don't-rock-the-boat book, but this is much more radical.

I'm pretty sure his more recent book, 'Bridge at the Edge of the World' goes even farther in its critique of the destructive impacts of
Alice
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it
The first half was really slogging through the same old stuff - convincing me that there's an environmental crisis (yawn, I already know this or I wouldn't be reading the book). But, the second half was quite interesting. He really believes a new UN agency can save the world, but that's understandable given his background. A good book to add to the collection of potential policy solutions for environmental problems.
Derkaisermike
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed reading this book, as it laid out the issues at hand, and clearly defined goals needed to be reached, and how to attain them. The book was not overly gloomy, but remained grounded in reality. We face very serious global environmental challenges in the coming century, but there is still hope for humanity to make the changes necessary to ensure a positive future.
Chris Sherman
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Candid, however grim, look at our future vis-a-vis our environmental woes by a seasoned veteran in the field. Worth a read for any concerned citizen of the globe and a must read for any self-proclaimed environmentalist.
J. Tran
Jun 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
From an author that I immensely respect, unfortunately the book lacks depth and weaves poorly development & economic theory with practice, providing only distilled and rehashed prescriptions for change.
April
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Not a one star rating because I disagreed with the author, I just couldn't get into his writing.
Aaron
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
a solid primer to the environmental clusterfuck which we inhabit.
Roger
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on global environmental policy, hallmarks of successful environmental policy and how we've stumbled on addressing global warming.
Brekke
Sep 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Dense and depressing. But lots of interesting facts and a hopeful outlook even though the content is enough to make anyone cry about the state of our damaged planet.
Andrew
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great read. A little depressing, but for anyone who cares about (or wants to learn more about) the state and future of many global human-ecological problems that the UN is trying to deal with.
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Scary as all hell. Read it!
Lisa
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is dismal to say the least and has far too many facts to remember. That said Speth should be congatulated for his work on this vital topic.
David Collins
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
A book exposing a side of America you don't hear about.
Deirdre Clark
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
about climate change and global warming
Jessica Kunasek
Jun 13, 2007
Mary Kate
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Black Beauty
  • The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don't Need
  • The China Study Quick & Easy Cookbook: Cook Once, Eat All Week with Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
  • Philosophy of Religion: Thinking about Faith
  • Food in History
  • The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life
  • Become What You Are
  • Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism
  • Finding SImplicity: How to define success, conquer fear and learn to let go in a complex stressful world
  • A History of Greek Philosophy, Volume 6: Aristotle: An Encounter
  • Llewellyn's 2013 Moon Sign Book: Conscious Living by the Cycles of the Moon
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • The Horse Whisperer
  • The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey
  • The Black Book
  • Paris for One and Other Stories
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)