Start by marking “Please, Mr. Panda” as Want to Read:
Please, Mr. Panda

Please, Mr. Panda (Mr. Panda #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,260 Ratings  ·  492 Reviews
What is the proper way to ask Mr. Panda for doughnuts?

Patiently and politely, Mr. Panda asks the animals he comes across if they would like a doughnut. A penguin, a skunk, and a whale all say yes, but they do not remember to say "please" and "thank you." Is anyone worthy of Mr. Panda's doughnuts?

Steve Antony has captured a cute panda, delightful animals hungry for doughn
Published December 30th 2014 by Scholastic Press (first published December 27th 2014)

karen
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
oh god this book is just wonderful. not only is it freaking adorable, but it is one of those children's books that teaches a Very Important Lesson about how being the one polite creature in a world full of rude animals gets you delicious rewards.

and how, at least between this book's covers, those rude animals will get nothing except sorrow and bewilderment.

an adorable panda has a box full of donuts to give away, but they're not for just any old animal - this panda has a healthy respect for good
Manny
May 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
In our 2010 paper "What's the Magic Word?", the experimental evidence suggested that "fucking" is a more useful phrase than "please" when you're an Australian native speaker addressing a speech recognizer that has both words in its vocabulary. I look forward to reading Give Me a Fucking Doughnut, Mr. Panda.
Carmen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
UPDATE 06/27/2015: Upon reading this to actual children, I am bumping this up a star - from 3 stars to 4 stars. This book delighted children, who immediately began offering me treats and then gleefully snatching them back when I accepted, shouting "NO TREATS FOR YOU!!!" One particularly enthusiastic five-year-old got a hat (not like Panda's hat in the book, though, her's was more like a French beret), a tray (with Frozen characters on it), and of course a whole array of (plastic) sweets, treats ...more
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some pandas have their own way of teaching you manners of saying "please" and "thank you".

Seems like this Mr. Panda had the ultimate way to do that.

I wish it had some twists in the end.
Violet
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
This panda is a jerk! He goes around with a box of donuts and offers them to other animals but won't give them any when they say "yes" just because they didn't say, "please." If the animals had been asking him for the donuts, then the lesson in manners would make sense, but since the panda offers and then denies each one, it just makes him seem very rude. It ends with a lemur finally saying, "Yes, please" when asked if he would like one. The panda says, "You can have the whole box. I don't even ...more
Saad Maqbool
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Completely unrealistic. Everybody knows pandas don't eat doughnuts or wear hats. Also they probably don't care if someone says please or thank you; Im pretty sure all they give a shit about is bamboo. I'm giving this book 5 stars however based on the illustrations and the superb translation (given that obviously, Pandas only know how to speak Chinese. You could never tell!)
AleJandra
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books, funny
Por que un simple "please" puede hacer la diferencia.

Este libro es adorable. Las imágenes son súper tiernas y lindas. Y la historia con todo y plot twist es genial.

Recomendado para alguien que necesite aprender de modales y para todo el mundo, porque obvio todos aman a los pandas. XD

Cheryl
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Judging by the reviews of those who have shared this with children, the target audience and I agree that this is effective, and funny. I have long preached that Please and Thank You are *not* "magic" words; they are *polite* words. (After all, you don't always get what you say Please for, but of course you won't get it if you don't say please! And besides, magic isn't real.) This book suits me, and I will try to find its companions.

Btw, I wonder why I don't see others noting the artistic motif.
Abby Brithinee
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. It illustrates the importance of being polite, and the pictures are cute. At the same time, Mr. Panda is kind of a jerk. He's the one who offers everyone doughnuts in the first place. When something is offered, the recipients don't say please. They say thank you.

Here's how the interactions go in the book:
Mr. Panda: Would you like a doughnut?
Other Animal: Yes! I'll take this one.
Mr. Panda: No, you cannot have a doughnut. I have changed my mind.
Other
Amanda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Aha! The peril of NOT using your manners very aptly illustrated (though is it me or does Mr. Panda look rather grumpy? Maybe it is just all the animals forgetting to say please that bums him out?)

Poor surly Mr. Panda, I rather think he is in the wrong business. He shouldn't be working with the public.
Camden
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I identified with the orca in this book because I too would be rude about donuts and then cry if they were taken away.
Megan
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so adorable and quirky! I think the humor and lack of too many words on each page would make it a hit with preschoolers.
Michelle
This book features the importance of being polite while asking for other people's/bears' doughnuts. I am that panda bear. Do not demand my doughnuts. Ask nicely and perhaps you will get lucky.

Ok...the real life actual review version.

Mr. Panda is not your typical precious and playful panda usually found adorning the pages of childhood animal books. With narrowed eyes and an ornery expression, he asks each animal he comes across his standard query, “Would you like a doughnut?” Each successive anim
Carol
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
There seems to be a controversy brewing about Please Mr. Panda by Steve Anthony! This is kind of shocking since this books seems to be simply a book to teach children to use “please” and “thank you”. Mr. Panda in this story withholds his colorful doughnuts from all animals who do not use those words. I can remember when I grew up, I heard a lot of parents ask “What are the magic” words in order to prompt their children to say the words.

Aside from that controversy, the illustrations are wonderful
Karrie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are wonderful. Mr. Panda is emotive and his companions are equally so when Panda refuses their requests or demands for his doughnuts. Spoiler - I know its silly, but in a story that is about encouraging kids to say please - it doesn't fit that the Panda only wants to give them away because he doesn't liek them.
Jillian Heise
I really wanted to like this book...more than I think I actually ended up liking it. I see what it's trying to do with teaching about manners; however, I actually thought Panda just ended up seeming mean about it. I wish he had done more to try to teach the other animals about using polite manners, by being polite himself, so I'm torn.
Suse
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am going to buy this for myself. This is basically how I would hand out donuts. Henceforth I would like to be known as Mr. Panda. Teaches an important lesson in such a cute way. (Especially if you have noticed a seed of snarkyness in your child)
Donalyn
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
just weird.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manners, 2015
Mr. Panda is rude while trying to teach his friends about manners.....strange. I think it was a good idea. But Panda probably should have had good manners while teaching about manners.
Lauri Meyers
About saying please.
Angel
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
absolutely adorable
Leilah Skelton
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A panda with a tray of deliciously bright doughnuts wanders between a cast of monochrome animal characters asking each in turn “Would you like a doughnut?” If Mr. Panda looks a little morose, that might be because he encounters ingratitude, entitlement, and plain rudeness. Only the polite manners of ringtail lemur, familiar with his pleases and thank yous are rewarded.

What is particularly marvellous about this book is that it gives children the room to think about the lesson it is conveying. The
Cristina Garcia
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read_in_2015
I love pandas and I love food, so I was really excited to see a panda holding food on the cover. However, when I read through the story, my first impression was that it was just a jerk teasing other animals with doughnuts by offering them the doughnuts then denying them. When I read through it again, only then did I realize it was about teaching kids manners.

It's a good idea, but the snobby-looking panda is hard to appreciate or love. Perhaps the panda is simply a bone dry stickler, and if he i
Sandy Brehl
The story is clearly developed to provide multiple examples of POOR manners, with a happy reward for the one animal who remembers to say "please". The fact that the Panda's response each time is somewhat rude (or strikes me as rude) makes this a lesser choice among the many picture books dealing with manners. What I enjoyed most were the illustrations and the choice of color/scale/expressions throughout the book. The trim size suits it well.
Lisa
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
illustrations are cute, and i definitely love a good panda story. this one was a huge let down. mr. panda goes around with a box of donuts, and offers them to different animals. when they accept, he rescinds his offer. such a jerk! spoiler alert: he eventually gives his entire box of donuts away at the end of the book.
Kristina Jean Lareau
This is a great picturebook about a panda that does not like doughnuts and offers them to all the other (black and white) animals that he encounters. Only the lemur (I think it's a lemur) asks politely and so gets the doughnuts.

Really a simple concept but the color contrast of the doughnuts and the animals makes for a visual treat. Pun intended.
Holly
Mr. Panda won't share his donuts with anyone who doesn't say "please" or "thank you." He's a little obnoxious about, it, though, in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd use this book to teach young children to be polite.
Allison
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of the best.
Tara
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Bizarre with cute pictures.
Angela
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I think it's funny. I think it would be even funnier if the cast of Parks & Rec would do an audiobook for it.

Imagine Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson) voicing Mr. Panda!
  • I Don't Like Koala
  • Zombie in Love 2 + 1
  • Max the Brave
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Lion vs. Rabbit
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • The Midnight Library
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water
  • Hug Machine
  • Supertruck
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Oh Dear Geoffrey!
  • Beastly Babies
After taking redundancy in 2010 from a Swindon call-centre, I decided to pursue my dream job by applying for a place on the Children's Book Illustration MA course at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge.

My 2014 debut, THE QUEEN'S HAT, was a Uni project inspired by a photo I'd chanced upon. It won the Oscar's First Book Prize and was shortlisted for the Waterstones Children's Book Prize. My Shaun
More about Steve Antony