Start by marking “In the Cards” as Want to Read:
In the Cards

In the Cards

Lindsey Hilliard flees her charmed life in New York, searching for answers after her fiancé’s betrayal fills her with self-doubt. Unfortunately, her rented Malibu home is next door to Levi Hardy, the sexy but insufferable man who humiliated her years ago.

Hardened by a grim past he keeps concealed, Levi prefers maintaining a comfortable distance from folks, especially a nos
Published December 9th 2014 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about In the Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Cards

Wendy'sThoughts
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Surprising Stars
* * * *
This was a staggering surprise! What I thought was going to be a sweet little story with romance and happily ever afters... turned into a thought provoking tale with heart, lessons and truth.

This had the opposites meeting...having an exchange which made a huge impact on both. The impact may have been in different ways... but equally important. We fast forward and our gal is confronted by a cheating "perfect on paper" fiance. Her "well to do" family loves him; they have b
Ian
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey has an ivy league education, a trust fund, and the perfect fiancé. That is until she discovers her fiancé had a fling with a woman he met at a bar and might have given her an STD. Heart-broken she leaves New York and rents a beach house in Malibu hoping to make some life changing decisions.

Levi is a gambler by nature who made his money by pushing his luck at the card tables in Vegas and shrewdly investing his winnings. Having a con-man for a father and being abandoned by his mother has
KatLynne
3.5 stars!

What a surprising read. What I thought would be a light romantic tale turned into a thought provoking romance with a few unpredictable twist and turns along the way.

As both Lindsey and Levi find themselves facing startling challenges, circumstances bring them together, resulting in a slow building, touching love story.
Melinda Tan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Congratulations to Jamie! This genre is one I don't normally read, but I should. I was hooked immediately (er - I worked hard to avoid being the poster-child for a stay-at-home Mom reading and popping bon-bons)and was incredibly impressed by her beautiful writing. I even underlined some very insightful passages. I would recommend this for a fast and fun read.
p.s. Did anyone else envision a young Rob Lowe as Levi?
Teri
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

Did not finish. Stopped at 51%

I just didn't want to read anymore. I made myself read to 50%. The story isn't holdingy interest at all. Not sure what the hold up was to ramping up their story.

I don't care for Lindsay and grew to not care for Levi either. There is zero spark or chemistry between these two. The issue with Rob shouldn't take this long to deal with and was leading me to think this book was going in
Lyuda
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Nice, although somewhat uneven, opposite-attract type of story. A first meeting between Levi, a bartender with a chip on his shoulder, and Lindsey, a rich trust-fund girl turned out to be embarrassing for the girl. Her teenage crush met with rejection.
Fast forward 8 years. Lindsey's fiance cheated on her with a co-worker. Heartbroken, and much to her family's dismay, she decides to move cross-country and rent a home in Malibu. Ironically enough, her neighbor happens to be Levi. Having grown up
Emily
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Levi Hardy vowed never to have a relationship or follow in his parents footsteps. Having created a life for himself, he is happy with keeping others at bay and living in solitude. That is until Lindsey Hilliard walks into his life, he remembers the tenacious woman he met years ago and it seems she still is a whirlwind of energy.

Lindsey needs to walk away, her fiancee betrayed her and her family and friends seem to be pushing her into accepting his discretion and entering a marriage where trust i
Ginette
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this read....
Jessica
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, own-kindle
There was a lot going on in this book, self-induced drama wise, but I enjoyed the character development throughout this story and watching two people find their way in the world.
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
Lindsay and Levi met 8 years ago at a resort in Florida, he embarrassed her and she never forgot him. After Lindsay fleas from New York to Malibu, leaving her friends, family and ex-fiancé, to find herself and see if she can forgive her ex-fiancé, Rob, after his betrayal. Levi on the other hand likes to stay to himself and keeps his distance from his family and everyone around him. He learned early on after his mother left him and his father that people you care about can hurt you.
When I first r
Romance Readers Retreat
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story of friendship, trusting someone and finding yourself.

The beginning of the book was moving quite slowly and dragging. It took me a while to get into the story as the beginning Lindsey was quite childish. But quickly the author drags you in and makes you like the character and reveal their personality and more details about them which was nice. I didn't think I would end up liking this book as much as I did in the beginning. Levi is an arrogant playboy who uses his good lo
Christina Montminy
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
Very good book. How can one person let so many people run their life for them. Lindsay is supposed to be getting married until her fiancé decides to come clean about an affair he had. Her family, friends & her ex believe she should forgive & forget & go on with the wedding, but for some reason she can't. Running to the other side of the country she runs into her past & Levi. He rebuffed her years ago but now he's stopped cold by her. After a terrible accident Levi needs her help ...more
Heather andrews
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey sure knows how to get people to do what she wants, "oh, fine. I'll bring beer, then. And don't worry, I don't have any food allergies." Food allergies? Who is this chick and how'd she rope me into cooking for her?" As Levi and Lindsey grow closer Lindsey's feelings grow and sometimes Levi can be a butt so I felt for Lindsey at times, "I hold up my hand. "No need. You don't own me explanations, Levi. We had no agreement. You're free to do what you want, with whomever you want. So, if that ...more
Tracy Lundy-Munn
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the Cards by Jamie Beck was the first book that I have read by this author. The storyline was solid and had a second chance romance spin to it. The chemistry between Lindsey & Levi was amazing once they both got over their issues with themselves and each other. If you are looking for a good book without a cliffhanger then look no further then In the Cards. Looking forward to reading more books by Jamie Beck!!
Jenifer Kleine
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
It was OK. It actually started off pretty good. I thought wow, this is going to be a good one, then during the course of the book it started to fall flat for me. It got a little boring. Levi was portrayed to cynical for to much of the book. And Lindsey was too much of a doormat that couldn't make up her mind. The ending was rushed, but a happy one one the plus side.
Wendy Moore
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great read!! Not what I expected and pleasantly surprised.
Joi
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the male character, but the female character not so much. She seemed too childish.
Rachel  Turner
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this story

What a great story of heartfelt love, redemption, forgiveness and second chances. I loved Lindsay's character and how she learned to face her fears and grow in confidence. I loved Levi's character and how he gave in to learning to trust and love.

Jamie Beck, I do believe I have now read all your books and can safely say your stories get into my heart. I can't wait for your next book in August!
Xerxia
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Maybe three and a half stars. The female lead, Lindsey, was a little too Mary Sue and a little too bland. There was too much of that running off after only hearing half the story, which is a kind of tiresome cliché. But on the whole, it was an easy, breezy summer book that didn't require a whole lot of brain cells and was fairly enjoyable.
Vikki Vaught
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Musings

Another emotionally charged romance by Jamie Beck. This is one rollercoaster ride. Really loved the hero! He rose above neglect and abandonment and didn't let it get him down. Happy reading 📚!
Mellarkey
It’s funny how the word “obligated” can pop up in an epilogue and totally ruin a book for you.
Melissa
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute but

Cute book but it took me forever to get into. I almost stopped reading. Characters are cute and the story did turn out really cute.
Clorie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 nice stars

This was a little bit of a surprise in that I didn't think it would have as much deeper feelings as it does. The hero's issues were realistic and dealt with well. The heroine was likable and provided a good base.

Narration was good enough with both male and female readers.
Again this author writes good dialogue and makes the characters have tough, normal, realistic conversations and actions.
Char (1RadReader59)
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an utter surprise this little book turned out to be. This is truly a hidden jewel. The cards reference in the title gives you no clue as to the true depth this gem has.
At first when I started reading I thought wow this is going to be one of those mean guy wins girl books. Then, when he talks about Vegas my brain wonders. Let me tell you though when this gets going watch out! This is a book that goes back and forth between the two characters Levi Hardy, the son of a two bit hustler and car
Lisa Fallon
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance, r2r
this book is so much more than a story about love it's about trust, friendship, building bridges with your past to allow yourself the future you deserve.

Levi is a young man who was dealt a bad start in life yet despite this with hard work and skills his dad taught him he (legally) built himself a life with a very nice bank account.
well he thinks it's a life having money and no attachments in the way of relationships, he's strictly no strings sex with various women he thinks this happiness I say
Abbie
This book slowly built into an incredible story of friendship, trust, and finding one's self. The beginning felt a little slow and unknown to me, but I'm so glad I didn't give up on it. All of a sudden I realized how the author slowly drew me into the characters as they were building the foundation of their relationship.

Originally I thought Levi was going to be an arrogant playboy, but was pleasantly surprised the author didn't go with the cliched story line. Levi is an enigmatic and successful
Demi Spencer
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I received this book from netgally and romancbeat in exchange for an honest review.

In the cards by Jamie Beck was a novel I had no expectation when starting it but once I had read this novel I recommended it to all my friends. Following the story of Lindsey Hilliard and Levi Hardy we are given a gimps of their steamy chemistry as teenagers and due to no fault of their own come together broken and seeking something neither of them knew existed.

Levi's charter tends to steer clear of anyone and e
Zarith dol
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC given by netgalley for an honest review

I rarely love a contemporary romance, more a fan in suspense or PNR book but this book is an emotional roller-coaster for me. It is a great book with a simple plot but written in such a way that held in your memory( my favourite kind).
The story start with the heroine Lindsey, live under her family expectation, a secure job, successful fiance and a fairy-tale wedding in the making. All crush after a revelation by her cheating possibly disease STD revela
Jennifer Reyes
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Levi Hardy Has learned two thing in life. You can't trust anyone much less rely on anyone. Having grown up with an absentee mother and a con artist for a father Levi strives to build a better life for himself. But when a motorcycle collision renders him helpless forcing him to accept assistance from his neighbor levi soon relizes how alone he truly is.

Feeling betrayed after learning about her fiancé’s affair,Lindsey Hilliard flees New Yorkhoping to find some direction in life. what she didn't
Joy Smith
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some say there’s no such thing as coincidence, but Jamie Beck does not agree in her romance, IN THE CARDS. When a snarky bartender and a teenage society girl meet, sparks fly—but not in a good way. Flashing forward eight years, a chain of events place the pair as unwilling neighbors. The cards are redealt when a bad motorcycle accident sends Levi, a confirmed bachelor with few real friends and no family that might care, into spinal surgery. Fearing he is alone, Lindsey, a New Yorker who fled to ...more
  • Married to Maggie (Texas Boys Falling Fast Book 1)
  • Crazy in Love (Blue Lake, #3)
  • Crazy for Cowboy
  • Hero of her Heart
  • Kissing Her Crush (Sugar City, #2)
  • Married By Christmas
  • The Rogue's Return (Company of Rogues, #12)
  • The Cowboy and the Princess (Jubilee, Texas, #2)
  • Kiss the Girl
  • More to Give (Anchor Island, #4)
  • Frosted (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #2.5)
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
  • Moosed Up  (Wild Men of Alaska, #2)
  • Hold on My Heart
  • Mail-Order Millionaire
  • A Dixie Christmas (includes Cajun, #7.5)
  • Hold Her Again
  • Anticipation (Brothers Ink #2)
My newsletter subscribers get monthly fun tips, a chance to win a reader gift box, and other exclusive content. Sign up now! https://bit.ly/2wQhqpU. For updates on discounts and new releases, follow me on BookBub at http://bit.ly/2GBcLM3. NO SPAM--EVER.

National bestselling author Jamie Beck’s realistic and heartwarming stories have sold more than two million copies. She is a Booksellers’ Best Awa
“Most people aren’t living. They’re planning, remembering, or regretting.” 4 likes
“Keeping quiet forces other people to do all the talking and all the revealing.” 3 likes