Start by marking “The Corpse with the Emerald Thumb (Cait Morgan #3)” as Want to Read:
The Corpse with the Emerald Thumb (Cait Morgan #3)

The Corpse with the Emerald Thumb

(Cait Morgan #3)

A dream vacation at a Mexican beach resort swiftly dissolves into a nightmare for criminologist and foodie Cait Morgan when her significant other, Bud Anderson, is wrongly arrested for the murder of the local florist, a gifted plantswoman.

With Bud’s freedom, and maybe even his life, at stake, Cait has to fight the clock to work out which member of the small Mexican communi

Published April 15th 2014 by Touchwood Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Corpse with the Emerald Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corpse with the Emerald Thumb

LORI CASWELL
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Again Cathy Ace channels Agatha Christie to bring us another fantastic mystery.

In this 3rd Cait Morgan Mystery, Bud and Cate head to Mexico for a vacation to take their relationship to the next level. A simple trip for some snacks lands Bud in jail accused for murder before they even unpack their bags. Cait is in a place where she doesn’t know a soul. Not knowing who she can trust Cait has to keep her relationship with Bud a secret, and she soon discovers she’s not the only on
Linda
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Cait Morgan book that I ever read. I like that it takes place in a foreign locale (Mexico) because I like to travel in books. However, I didn't get a real feel for the country. I also didn't get a real feel for the protagonist, Cait. The author did stump me with the murderer's identity but I found it very strange that the answer came to Cait in a weird waking sort of dream. That being said, the mystery itself was good.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard. There is an interview with Cathy Ace at the same link.

If you haven't discovered Cathy Ace's Cait Morgan series yet, you're in for a treat. Ace blends Golden Age-style writing with contemporary characters, settings, and plots; the resulting novels feel like a modern version of an Agatha Christie mystery. Ace is scrupulous about giving the reader all the clues while keeping at least some of her detective's conclusions hidden until the grand d
Yvonne
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminologist Cait Morgan is thrilled to be vacationing with her retired cop boyfriend, Bud Anderson, in Mexico. When Bud goes to the local store, she watches in horror from their hotel room as Bud is taken away in handcuffs by the local police. At a loss as to what to do, Cait snoops around and discovers that Bud has been arrested for the murder of a beloved florist and hasn’t given the police any information – not even his identity.

The local police captain is familiar with Cait’s reputation as
Vontel
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cait Morgan is the protagonist in the series, a Welsh-Canadian teaching criminology at the "University of Vancouver" and living in Burnaby and assisting police in inquiries given her research in "victim profiling". She's in her late 40's. Earlier in her life in Great Britain, she survived a relationship with a psychopath. She's now in a relationship with Bud, a 'retired' cop (not quite sure from which force, likely RCMP). They just arrived in Puerto Vallarta for a week's holiday and travelled to ...more
Rhonda
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

This is the third Cait Morgan mystery. The second one I have read. I did guess who the killer was earlier on but had no idea about all of the secrets that were revealed. Cait and Bud go on vacation to Mexico together. While Bud is gone to get some supplies and flowers he comes across a murder. Bud is arrested for her murder.

Bud refuses to say anything after yelling something for Cait to hear. So the cops have no idea on him even what country he is from.
I like Cait Morgan. She is smart,
Audrey Driscoll
This was a fun read -- perfect for summer. The main character, Cait Morgan, is a likeable sort, with a good sense of humor. And she isn't the usual knockout heroine; she has a weight problem and is realistic about it.
The setting is another attractive feature -- a seaside resort in Mexico. The author's descriptions of the place made me feel I was there.
The plot is suitably convoluted and kept me guessing almost to the end. The resolution was satisfying, despite putting a bit of a strain on my cre
Joann
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this series and decided to give it a try. I went back to her first and second novel and read those and then this one. I really enjoyed this one more than the others. Cait is a strong and determined heroine who uses her surroundings and insights to pull all the pieces together to prove her boyfriend’s innocence and bring justice to a murdered woman, all while standing alone on a Mexico vacation. This quickly became a page-turner and I could not put down this book until I knew how th ...more
Susan
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-mexico
Canadian psychologist Cait Morgan wants to enjoy a vacation in a borrowed condo with her significant other, retired policeman Bud. But before she can unpack, Bud--who has gone out to buy supplies--is arrested for murder. Her one avenue for help is shut off, and all Cait can think of is to pretend not to know Bud but investigate the murder he's accused of undercover. The area is full of expatriates, some of them Canadian, and she's been told that there's someone who will help her, but who is it? ...more
Margo
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a giveaway. A very fast pace and enjoyable book. I loved how right off the bat you were in the middle of the story and the pace kept up through the whole book. I enjoyed the writting style, she gave you enough to be able to picture the surroundings without over doing it with too much. I am ready to read the other books that have this main character in it to see what other adventures she gets into.
Suenomad
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read - I could feel the heat and the sun from the start and loved the way the tension built throughout the story leading to the climax. This series is a lovely one, taking me back to places I've already visited and adding to those on my wish list - I don't think I'd want to be Cait's travelling companion - a little too dangerous. I think I might just re-read the first two and I'm already looking forward to the next installment in the Cait/Bud story.
Marina Sofia
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been following this series since the beginning and it's always been a fun, quick read, with lovely descriptions of food and drink thrown in as well. I admire feisty, unlikely heroine Cait - and she is even more indomitable in this book. It is charming Golden Age fiction with a travel theme, but this book is tighter and more dramatic (with a very fast-paced first chapter).
Judy LeBlanc
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Enjoyed this book, a new author to me, went out to Chapters and picked up the second in the series. I learnt a fair amount about Mexico and the tequila trade in this book. And the story was good too!
I hope in the next installment Bud doesn't find himself in jail again! Cait had to do all the lifting in this installment, looking forward to the fourth book due out this fall.
Teena in Toronto
Cait is a middle-aged criminologist in Vancouver, BC, and has been dating Bud, a retired police officer, for almost a year. They head off to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, for their first ever vacation. When they arrive at the resort, Bud heads out for supplies. As Cait watches out the window, someone screams that the owner of the flower shop across the street has been murdered and Bud is found with his hands around the victim's slashed neck.

Bud is immediately arrested and put in jail. Cait pretends t
Susan
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is somewhat refreshing to read a mystery set in Mexico that is not all about drug cartels. Forensic psychologist Cait Morgan and her friend Bud are on vacation in a resort near Puerto Vallarta when he is found with the body of the nearby florist. Cait has to get away and ends up in a villa at a tequila plantation run by a consortium of investors and, as a specialist in victim profiling, is able to insert herself into the investigation. The mystery is reasonably complicated providing a challen ...more
Jill
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cool cover, cool title, lame book.
aem
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
was okay, mor eintersting than I initially thought, though the lead up to denouement was not that clear...
Monica Mason
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well crafted. Keeping Cathy Ace on my radar. Very happy on how good it was. Been disappointed with some Canadian authors in the past (not all).
Patricia
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this writer's books and I love that the heroine isn't perfect. I didn't find this book moved as fast as I wanted but it was still excellent!
Kathleen Freeman
Each time I read one of the books I am reminded why I enjoy them, first we get to travel, in this outing Mexico was the location, always interesting to learn about different locations. Second I like the fact that the character is "older" and does not have the perfect body however she is smart and funny. Third there is always a wrap up on how Cait solves the mystery that is probably one of my favourite parts. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Peggy
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cait Morgan’s lover is accused of murder because he has his hands around the victim’s neck as she’s discovered having just died. The setting is a resort in Mexico, peopled by other expatriates. The mystery partly relies on Cait’s eidetic memory and her “waking dreams” where images coalesce in strange ways.
Teddi
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
I didnt enjoy this one quite as much as the last one. The action started right at the beginning and it put me off for some reason. It did thankfully get better.
The writing style is clean and clear and the main character a strong intelligent woman and not just a nosy amateur wanna be sleuth as in many light mysteries and this is a plus.
Note: at least we find out why Bud is so named
Amanda Lepage
The book started off enjoyable. The characters were interesting and the storyline was good. It had great potential in the first three quarters of the book. However, when I came to the part where Cait started hallucinating/dreaming the solution to the crime, I felt like the book lost it's authenticity and became cheesy. It was too bad, because I really enjoyed the premise.
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, mexico
This is the third of the series and I continue to enjoy every minute of reading it.
Drianne
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I so do not care about Bud. I don't like him very much either. I don't really see why the main character does. Super-obvious mystery.
Christine
Did not enjoy this book as compared to the previous two. Plot was very contrived and characters were too unbelievable. Also cannot figure out the connection between the titles and the books.
Kaylin O'Gorman
Apr 11, 2016
xtree
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Killer in King's Cove (Lane Winslow #1)
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery, #5)
  • Granny Snows A Sneak (Fuchsia, Minnesota #3)
  • Death of A Beauty Queen (A Poppy Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Murder is Secondary (Susan Wiles Schoolhouse Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Men Don't Get Married
  • Sea Change (Nina Bannister Mystery, #1)
  • Don't Cry Over Killed Milk
  • Cash Kills (Angelina Bonaparte Mysteries, #2)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • To Hell in a Handbasket (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #2)
  • Picking Lemons
Welsh Canadian mystery author Cathy Ace is the creator of The Cait Morgan Mysteries. Born, raised and educated in Wales, Cathy enjoyed a successful career in marketing and training across Europe for twenty years before migrating to Vancouver, Canada. There she taught on MBA and Undergraduate marketing programmes at various Universities for a decade. Her eclectic tastes in art, music, food and drin ...more

Cait Morgan (8 books)
  • The Corpse with the Silver Tongue (Cait Morgan #1)
  • The Corpse with the Golden Nose (Cait Morgan #2)
  • The Corpse with the Platinum Hair (Cait Morgan #4)
  • The Corpse With the Sapphire Eyes (Cait Morgan #5)
  • The Corpse with the Diamond Hand (Cait Morgan #6)
  • The Corpse with the Garnet Face (Cait Morgan #7)
  • The Corpse with the Ruby Lips (Cait Morgan #8)