Start by marking “The Nightingale” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale

The Nightingale

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  489,684 ratings  ·  50,348 reviews
17 hours, 20 minutes

In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

FRANCE, 1939

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn't believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill
Audio CD
Published February 3rd 2015 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Andy Lucas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  489,684 ratings  ·  50,348 reviews

Emily May
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Isabelle. Paris is overrun. The Nazis control the city. What is an eighteen-year-old girl to do about all of that?”

What, indeed.

I really didn't know what to expect going into The Nightingale. Given the quote about love and war in the blurb, I kind of thought it might be an historical romance set during the Second World War - like the world really needs another The Bronze Horseman - but it turned out to be so much more than that.

There are love stories in The Nightingale,
Violet wells
It was the comparisons to All the Light We Cannot See that attracted me to The Nightingale. Though both novels are set during WW2 the similarities for me stopped there. All the Light is a magical novel electric with beautiful resounding prose and refined artistry; The Nightingale is a novel motored essentially by cliché and exaggeration.

Clichéd writing isn’t just resorting continually to stock phrases (though Hannah does this a lot); it’s also straining for tension through exaggeration to the p
Lori
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
With tears still running down my cheeks I'm writing this review. I've started this review several times and I don't think I'll be able to adequately put into words the power in which this novel has moved me. Truely a remarkable story that I, literally, beg everyone who loves historical fiction to read. I will be gushing about this novel for some time to come.
Regan
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I've been told by so many people that I need to read this book. It gets so much hype that I thought there was absolutely NO way it would live up to it. But it did more than that. It surpassed it.
My favourite books is a pretty exclusive list and it usually takes me a while to decide whether a book fits that list or not but this was an instant favourite. I absolutely adored it. Even just thinking about it now I am fighting back tears because this was such a beautiful and vivid story. I felt like
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So many 4 & 5 star reviews here, but I'm afraid I just thought this WWII historical novel was okay. There are so many novels about this time period and I didn't think this one rose above the heap. The last one to do that for me was Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and this just can't even compare to that or to David Gillham's City of Women.

There's some nice detail about the home front in France, which I have read less about than the English home front. And there are some exciting scenes featu
Aestas Book Blog
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::: 5 STARS!! :::

HOLY WOW!!! This book was absolutely epic! A sweeping, breathtaking journey that captivated me from the first page with the strength and beauty of the writing. Truly an unforgettable story!

The Nightingale has a 4.8/5 rating average on Amazon (which is HUGE!!) and what that basically means is that practically everyone who is reading it is loving it. And I'm now adding my own 5 STAR rating to that list because this book owned my heart. The ending was so
Gabriella
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blue-covers
I really tried, you guys. There was even a 20% period when my standards were reduced so low from the previous 70%, that I thought maybe, maybe 2*. But the last 10% was offensive. Yes, I said offensive.

Review later. And by review, I mean bitch rant fest.

---------

People keep asking me how I didn’t like this book. Honestly, I want to ask them how they did.

Never have I ever read a book by such a clueless, air-headed author.

And I actually don’t even mean that to be mean, or to pick on KH. It’s just
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm not sure what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, but the quality and sheer excellence to this story blew my mind. I'm not typically a fan of historical fiction, which is likely why I've avoided it for so long, but once this was described to me as "historical fiction light" I felt it was safe to take a gamble on it. When we decided for this to be the Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews September book choice, I was nervous because WHAT IF I HATED THIS BELOVED BOOK?!

C
MomToKippy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
For me this was a fusion of sub-literary chick lit and WWII fiction in that it was too cliche and melodramatic much of the time. I thought the female perspective of occupied France and the tales of the resistance as well as the opposing sisters' perspectives were generally good ideas but the whole thing lacked in the execution.

The tone of the book doesn't feel authentic to the time period and there are numerous unbelievable incidents and interactions. The historical facts are covered but the atm
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

1.5 stars. Oh, the IRONY. You might have never heard of it, but in 1981 French author Régine Deforges released a book called La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (part of a trilogy), which related the story of two sisters** during WWII in France. Léa, the outspoken, rebel and reckless one, who joins the Resistance after fleeing from the invasion of Paris and Françoise, the older, who has to live under the same roof of a SS during the Occupation. RING A BELL?

This novel, many times bestseller in France
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start this review. I am typing it through teary eyes, so I will keep it simple. (Insert tissues here)

My pick for Vianne when this becomes a movie is Naomi Watts or Kate Winslet and for Isabella is Julianne Hough or Amanda Seyfried. Let's see if Hollywood takes my suggestion!

This WW2 novel was so beautifully written. This war was a time of bitter hatred and in this story Kristin Hannah brings to life love, survival, bitterness, strength, and persistence.

Vianne and Isab
Elyse Walters
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angela M
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I almost didn't read this book and it would have been my loss if I didn't, because I would have missed out on knowing Isabel and Vianne , and the story of their indescribable bravery and volition to save lives in their roles in the French Resistance during WWII. Oh I know this is a work of fiction and these two women are characters in a novel . But I also know as history tells us there were real men and women risking their lives doing the very same things Isabel and Vianne did . A recent article
Nat
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“My nightingale, I got you home.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I honestly didn't expect to like The Nightingale as much as I did.
The premise of the book intrigued me (I've been really into historical fiction lately).
This story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, during World War II and their hardships trying to survive.
My heart broke for each sister as I read their stories full of loss and pain. And I loved the shifting point-of-view that allowed me to see inside each character's head.
Heather
This book wrecked me. Let me say that again, It WRECKED me. I have never cried so hard while reading a book. It was beyond amazing, beyond moving and it’s a story I will never forget.
🇫🇷 📖
I’m sure you’ve heard of this book. It’s been hyped ever since it came out & will amazing reason. I’ve stayed away from it because of the hype & because I’m not the biggest fan of historical fiction but I was so glad to be proved wrong on both accounts.
📖
🌌
This is a book that will grip you from the minute
Matthew
4.5 to 5 stars - This is a very complete book. I hope that makes sense when I say it. I was satisfied with the entire experience.

Emotional and at times nerve-wracking. Love and hope mixed with fear and suffering. Hard choices that are unavoidable, easy choices that come with great risk. This book is a historical fiction roller coaster ride.

Even if you are not into historical fiction or WWII, I think this is worth checking out. Also, I would highly recommend it to those who enjoyed Between Shades
Nea
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance and chicklit lovers
Kristin Hannah is a pro in the chick-lit genre, and I applaud her efforts to break into historical fiction with The Nightingale. Unfortunately, I cannot say that I loved the result.

When I read historical fiction in a war setting, I expect a certain rawness that just wasn't delivered here. Yes, she included historically accurate descriptions of carnage, but the tone was destroyed with a barrage of trite elements.

The two main characters happen to be beautiful, irresistible, young sisters with da
jessica
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its quite silly how i almost always go into a historical fiction book thinking, “why am i reading this? history is sooo boring.”

but then i read books like this. books that remind me there are beautiful, heartbreaking, and important stories that make me a better person for reading them.

and its difficult to write a review about story set during such a dark period in time, but this book truly is a must read for everyone. trust me. this is the kind of story that will stay with you long after you ha
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah may be my favorite novel of 2015... and yes, I realize it's only February. It's just that good.

The setting is World War II, Nazi-occupied France. The story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, and how they each respond in times of great challenge. Their parallel stories are as different as their personalities, but are just as suspenseful, complicated, and emotional. Although The Nightingale is considered fiction, it is firmly planted in well-researched tru
Petrik
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII & Historical fiction fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
Shelves: owned-ebooks
A moving, strong and inspiring tale of survival, love, and female heroism during World War II.

Memoir and historical fictions are genres that I rarely visit. However, ever since last year after I finished reading the inspiring memoir by Yeonmi Park, I decided to at least read one book that revolves around war or its kind to remind myself to always be grateful. For that, The Nightingale is my pick of the year, and it ended up being one I will remember.

“If I have learned anything in this long lif
Warda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
Crying in the library.

This book is an ode to women.
Women.
Our spirits.

“He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.”

We all know suffering and have experienced different degrees of it. But, I don’t think there’s any suffering that compares to the suffering of war.
And this is not to downplay other painful and, possibly, equally horrendous experiences. But as I’m looking into this book as
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Το υπέροχο λυπητερό κελάηδημα αυτού του αηδονιού με συγκλόνισε εξ αρχής, με αγκάλιασε και με ταξίδεψε σε ιστορικές διαδρομές γεμάτες φρίκη και πόνο με μοναδικό κίνητρο επιβίωσης την αγάπη και όπλο αντίστασης την δύναμη που κρύβουμε μέσα μας και δεν το γνωρίζουμε.
Μεταφερόμαστε στη Γαλλία κατα τη διάρκεια του Β παγκοσμίου πολέμου και εκεί αρχίζει να αποτυπώνεται η απόλυτη σκληρότητα,η ωμή βία, η εξαθλίωση και η απόγνωση των απλών ανθρώπων που γίνονται έρμαια στους δυνατούς του κόσμου που την τύχ
Melanie

“Some stories don’t have happy endings. Even love stories. Maybe especially love stories.”

I know what a beloved book this is in the community. Recently, I did a blog post about the highest rated books on my TBR and The Nightingale was number one with a 4.55 average star rating, with 414,290 Ratings and 44,440 Reviews. Like, those are some powerful stats. But basically, after writing up that post, I knew that I had to read this beloved book and find out my thoughts on it.

This is a heartbreak
Maxwell
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
I feel like I went on the journey with these characters, that I lived these years with them. It's a story I won't soon forget and definitely one that I hope to revisit in the future. An absolutely stunning book that I can't recommend highly enough. 5 stars
Debra
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

It's Paris 1939 and the Germans occupy parts of France. It is a brutal time. A horrible time. A sad time. A time of loss. It is also a time when ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinary things.

Yes, what can be done? Many books on war focus on the part that men play, the battles,
Melissa
“In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.”

This is a story that will stay with me for a long time to come. I think most people would agree, the best kind of books are those that evoke strong emotions and make you feel. Among my favorites are books that made me think about life, fall in love or ripped me to pieces and left me in tears. THE NIGHTINGALE managed to do all of those things.

I’ve always had a fascination with World War II stories and with anything taking
Dana Ilie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is a spectacular piece of historical fiction. Not only does she explore an often-ignored aspect of World War II, she does so by using characters that are deeply flawed but for whom readers soon become highly empathetic. Her careful attention to detail along with a gorgeous turn of phrase creates a gut-wrenching story that haunts readers long after the last sentence. In other words, this is exactly what a historical novel should do.
While both sisters were incredi
Cheri
3.5 Stars

I read this now (rather than maybe sometime in the future) because a goodreads friend (thank you, Jennifer!) mentioned in her recent review that they were making a movie out of this book.
I enjoyed this, but it would be inaccurate for me to say I loved it. I just never really believed in the characters, I never felt they were authentic or “real.” As a result, all of Isabel’s behavior and actions felt created for the purpose of manipulation, and I never really could shake that feeling fo
Nick
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A 4.56 rating with almost 500,000 ratings, what is this sorcery?
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah - Restarting February 27th 2019 20 168 Mar 14, 2019 02:43PM
Chapter 28 2 19 Mar 14, 2019 01:53PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Nightingale - *SPOILERS* 34 164 Mar 11, 2019 07:47PM
UCAS English 11 R...: February Book Review 2 5 Mar 04, 2019 10:21AM
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Boston Girl
  • At the Water's Edge
  • Calling Me Home
  • The Chaperone
  • An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny
  • The Secrets of Mary Bowser
  • The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
  • Necessary Lies (Necessary Lies, #1)
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and Th ...more
“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: in love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” 897 likes
“Men tell stories. Women get on with it. For us it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over.” 415 likes