Start by marking “The Scarlet Wench (Nora Tierney Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Wench (Nora Tierney Mysteries, #3)

The Scarlet Wench

(Nora Tierney Mysteries #3)

In this third Nora Tierney Mystery, American writer Nora awaits the arrival of a traveling theatre groups who will stage Noel Coward's play "Blithe Spirit" at her temporary home, Ramsey Lodge in England's Lake District.

Her son now six months old, Nora must juggle parenting with helping her friend Simon Ramsey run the lodge. She's also hoping to further her relationship wit
Published May 28th 2014 by Bridle Path Press (first published May 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Wench, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Wench

Evgeny
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

This is the third book of Nora Tierney mystery, an American living in Great Britain. She lives in Ramsey Lodge which belongs to her friend Simon Ramsey. The later has troubles with not enough income coming from the Lodge, so he invites a traveling theater group to stage a play in his place as a publicity stunt. Not surprisingly, the actors are a very colorful bunch with their personal friction betwee
Andrea
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am delighted to have been introduced to this series by the author Marni Graff. All I can say is bravo, bravo dear friend! I will be sure to read the first two books in the series and hope there will soon be a 4th one. This is a top drawer mystery with plenty of romance, intrigue, theatrical talent and so much more. It is surely not a wonder that the writer has been compared to Agatha Christie!
Kay Wilson
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Scarlet Wench, the third in the Nora Tierney Mystery series has just been released (May 12, 2014).
I've just received mine and have already finished and loved it.
There are two other books in this series (The Blue Virgin & The Green Remains)and all have continued to keep me intrigued and firmly in my chair until the end. Loving a good mystery, I have devoured them all, and loved every minute.
The Scarlet Wench has lots of twists and turns, and keeps you engaged, right to the end.
I highly
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Cumbria, England, U.K. What a simply delightful setting for any novel, however, the beauty in this novel is used to cloak a murderous heart at play. Ramsay Lodge has been hired to host a rendition of Noel Coward's play 'Blithe Spirit.' The play is being performed by a traveling theatre troupe.

For Nora Tierney, a author residing at the Lodge, the play brings back her college days and also the promise of romance as her love, Detective Inspector Declan Barnes, arrives to take a hiking holiday and r
Lynn
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Scarlet Wench is the third book in the Nora Tierney Series. I have been eagerly waiting for this book to be published after reading The Blue Virgin and The Green Remains. It is one of my favorite series.

Nora is an American who lives in England. She was a journalist but now writes children books. The series has been atmospheric. The first book took place in Oxford and the next two in Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria which is England's Lake District.

The book is a well written mystery. It held my
BookLoversLife
Book 3 sees Nora once again involved in a murder mystery. This time the bodies are found in the lodge that Simon and his sister run and Nora lives in. After Simon was accused of murder in the last book, the lodge is suffering and Simon has had to invite a travelling Theater group to come and perform. The group arrive in a flurry but when some pranks and accidents escalate to murder, Nora finds herself having to go undercover, as such, in order to catch a killer.

So Nora is again, deep in the mid
Anna del C. Dye
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had the chance to hear the third book of Nora Tierney Mystery series. Once again I was transported to England and the pretty sites there. The novel is written in classic English style which I enjoy a lot and I actually understand it all. Usually when I watched a British comedy I only understand half of it, but I was able to fallow alone just fine. I found myself forgetting to do other things just to see what other clue is Nora going to find. The cast of characters is diverse and interesting. I ...more
Melissa
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not only was this a delightful extension of the Nora series, I loved the cast of new characters brought to life from a classic play (Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward). This brought drama, humor and a bit of romance to every chapter.
Ramsay Lodge has become such a real place that I honestly think I’d be surprised to go to the Lake District and NOT find it ready to take my reservation! I honestly did not know until very late in the book whodunit and Graff paced the relationships very nicely between va
Jessica Wren-Wilson
Since William Shakespeare first published Hamlet, the story-within-a-story literary device has always been interesting, and is one of the few remaining ones that has not been overused to the point of being clichéd. I read the third of the Nora Tierney series first. However, The Scarlet Wench does well as a standalone novel, and now, I want to go back and read Books 1 and 2. The title refers to both a local pub and a character in the play that the plot revolves around.
Single mother Nora Tierney
books are love
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
We are six months after the Green room and dynamics have changed. Declan and Nora are now together, simon and nora are best friends and he is with Mayve, Kate and Ian are married and off to France and Nora’s little boy is now in the picture.

To help keep Ramsey Lodge afloat, Simon has a theatre troupe in the lodge. This is my favorite so far because of the perky personalities and the troupe itself. They are so quirky and fun to listen chatter and yank each other’s chains.

Nora has some more proble
Gem BookEater
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Scarlet Wench is the third of the modern day “cosy crime” mysteries starring Nora Tierney. Nora is a young American writer and single mother living in England. She has recently moved to the Lake District and is helping out at her illustrator and friend Simon Ramsey’s small hotel. When a traveling theatre troupe arrives to stage Noel Coward’s play “Blithe Spirit” a series of pranks raises nosy Nora’s suspicions. Particularly as they seem to mirror the murderous actions in the play.

But she’s n
Suraya Dewing
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review by Suraya Dewing
The Scarlet Wench
By M.K. Graff
Sometimes a story lingers after you have read it. The Scarlet Wench did that for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the way M.K. Graff crafted her characters, especially Nora Tierney, the heroine of the novel and of the series.
She struggles against an impulse to get involved with investigating the unfolding mystery around a murder and other gruesome events that appear to target a cast of second-rate actors staying at Ramsey Lodge. Her friend Simon owns
Ellis Vidler
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The Scarlet WenchThis is a good, solid mystery, reminiscent of the Golden Age. Graff takes the reader on a stroll through a Cumbrian country lodge, giving us a little time to become acquainted with the characters and setting. Nora Tierney, the main character and a resident of Ramsey Lodge, handles her new role of motherhood well and looks forward to spending time with the Oxford police detective who’s coming for a vacation. Declan Barnes arrives, hoping for some relaxing downtime away from polic ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/Suspense Fans
Recommended to Kimberly by: Author, Marni Graff
Shelves: read-on-kindle
I received an advanced copy of this book from the author.

This is a cute story set in England with a flare for Murder She Wrote or your Agatha Christie novels, but unfortunately, it was a little too slow for me to get into. It's not a bad story, it just wasn't my kind of mystery.

When a group of actors come to stay at Ramsey Lodge for their upcoming play, one may wonder whether the actual story lies within their arrival or perhaps their shenanigans while trying to learn the story. Nora Tierney is
Babus Ahmed
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Scarlet Wench is a classy whodunit mystery set in Cumbria at the struggling but charming Ramsey Hall. Nora Tierney, an American children's author and amateur sleuth, now residing in the UK, is drawn into a web of dangerous pranks when a touring theatre troupe plan to put on a play at Ramsey Hall. From the outset malicious pranks set the suspicion on all the unusual characters that form the cast of the play. The personal stakes for Nora are higher in this book as she has to think of her baby ...more
Karen
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book reunites the readers with American writer Nora Tierney and her son Sean. The impending arrival of a theatre group about to stage "Blithe Spirit" promises a house full of paying guests for the staff at Ramsey Lodge. Strange things happen within the group, reawakening Nora's inner sleuth - much to DI Declan Barnes' sorrow. As a reader, I automatically tried to solve this strange case - and enjoyed it!

With The Scarlet Wench, M. K. Graff has created a thrilling suspense story with local fl
Rosie Amber
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Scarlet Wench is a murder mystery in a style with similarities to Miss Marple or Morse. The book is set in Bowness-on-Windermere in Cumbria. A traveling theatre company is about to arrive at Ramsey Lodge where they will be staging a version of Noel Coward's Blythe Spirit.

We meet Nora Tierney a writer from Connecticut who now lives in the UK. She works at Ramsey Lodge and is looking forward to the actors arriving. Another visitor this week is Detective Declan Barnes, who is arriving for a wal
Vicky D'Agostino
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Scarlet Wench is my favorite book thus far in the Nora Tierney mystery series. The story evolves around an acting troupe performing Noel Coward's play Blithe Spirit. The quirky and ego-driven characters are fascinating in their narcissism and ploys. The actions turn deadly and amateur detective Nora unites with her heart crush Declan to solve the murder. Add in a healthy dose of Brit speak, vivid description of the town,Ramsey Lodge and its inhabitants, and you have a wonderful recipe for a ...more
Devi Nair
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Falling in love with literature has always been easy for me. However, my love for the third book of Nora Tierney has gone to an all new level of wonder and amazement. Marni Graff has created another miracle in the form of The Scarlet Wench.

Read on at The Scarlet Wench
Becky Almon
Nice cozy mystery

This is a nice cozy British mystery. It is a quick read. The main characters have continued from two previous books. There's enough back story that it I is not necessary to have read the earlier novels, but not so much as to slow the action.

Nina
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Another fun Nora Tierney mystery! I think I liked this one best of all because of the theatrical references-- and once again, Graff had me guessing almost until the very end! Well planted clues, lovable characters!
James Terry
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
You had me right up until you wrote, "optimistically threw in a box of condoms." Great book. I thoroughly enjoyed it but don't believe that overt sexual references add to, rather they take away from the story. Subtlety, with reference to sex is much more powerful. Less is more.
Melissa
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
another great installment of this series. Graff's books get better and better each round. The Coward play as a backdrop gave this book an interesting layer and behind the scenes look at play production, too!
Tiffany
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent cozy read. I look forward to reading more of the Nora Tierney mysteries.
Tom Costello
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and look forward to reading the two previous ones in the series.
Susan
Feb 26, 2018
Nina Romano
Jun 23, 2014
Trail-Mix Readers: February 2016 1 8 Jan 31, 2016 05:32PM

• Death of A Beauty Queen (A Poppy Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Granny Snows A Sneak (Fuchsia, Minnesota #3)
  • Full Mortality
  • Murder is Secondary (Susan Wiles Schoolhouse Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery, #5)
  • Don't Cry Over Killed Milk
  • The Corpse with the Golden Nose (Cait Morgan #2)
  • Dead Men Don't Get Married
  • A Corpse in Shining Armour (Liberty Lane, #3)
  • Sea Change (Nina Bannister Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Manly Man (Robin Hudson, #4)
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
  • Literary Murder (Michael Ohayon, #2)
Marni Graff is the author of The Nora Tierney English Mysteries, and The Trudy Genova Manhattan Mysteries, both published by Bridle Path Press (http://www.bridlepathpress.com). She writes the weekly crime review blog Auntie M Writes (http://auntiemwrites.com) and is a member of Sisters in Crime and the NC Writers Network.

A former registered nurse who wrote "on the side," Graff has published articl

Nora Tierney Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Blue Virgin (A Nora Tierney Mystery, #1)
  • The Green Remains (A Nora Tierney Mystery, #2)