Start by marking “Hot-Blooded ('Ohana, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hot-Blooded ('Ohana, #1)

Hot-Blooded

('Ohana #1)

'Ohana is everything ...

When an accident claims her mothers life, Keahilani Alana must take charge of her family or risk losing what little they have. With an underage brother to care for and no education, she has few options. The door to a heavenly hellish opportunity opens when she stumbles upon a valuable secret her mother left behind on the slopes of an extinct volcano
Published July 4th 2014 by Howling Mad Press, LLC

Start your review of Hot-Blooded ('Ohana, #1)
Diane
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***5 Freaking Tiki Torches***
This review is MY opinion. Please read the synopsis and any content warning prior to purchasing.

Keahilani grew up with her mother stating OHANA is EVERYTHING. When life throws an unexpected curve ball at Keahilani and her family, she soon learns how true that saying is.

Keahilani and her brothers must find a way to stay together and keep the youngest brother headed in the right direction. Decisions are made once they find out why Mahina loved her garden so much.

JC82
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME FECKING AWESOME

So for all you Kendall Grey fans out there, this book is very different from previous writings by KG and it effing rocks. If you have read the blurbs floating around social media then you know Kendall describes this book as a combo of Sin City and Twin Peaks and trust me this is about as accurate of a description as you can get. Totally spot on.

There is this very underlying sinister feel to the book, and it creeps up on you, grabs hold and then takes you on this very dark
Kimberly Cheeseman
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
After reading Kendall's Just Breathe Urban Fantasy series - which I loved...
After reading her Hard Rock Harlots series - which made me go "wow" (major warnings for this series) and still loved...
I was not sure what to expect with her NEW book coming out July 14th, HOT-BLOODED...
So here are my thoughts....

From the 1st chapter I was AFREAKINAMAZED...It is very different from her other 2 series. It is full of Emotion, Family, Love, Action, Guns, Drugs, and even a little magic...It is a very amazing
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
Riveting!

That's the word that plays over and over in my mind when I try to put this book into words.

I won an ARC and decided to start late yesterday. Well...I could not put it down. I finished last night, I slept on it because I'm afraid I cannot do justice how I felt about this book. I have a book hangover that's for sure.

Kendal Grey's writing voice is truly a gift. From the moment I started I was sucked in. I enjoyed the simultaneous stories, the journey, the wild ride, AND amazing how it all
Erin
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Ninja Dimple STARS!

Even though I marinated on this story for days before writing this I'm still finding it hard to do it justice! This book was beyond amazing! The story was so crazy, twisty and turny, suspenseful, heartbreaking, and very poetic. Kendall has a way with words that just pull you in and don't let go!

She pulled so many emotions out of me and I'm still reeling and in shock a week later! There's a mythical and supernatural thing going on that is suspenseful and keeps you on the
Lexy at All Is Read
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Amazing! So much fun! Kendall Grey is the epitome of a Great Storyteller. Whether it is Urban Fantasy, Romance, or Dark and Twisting, Hot-Blooded and Kendall Grey has all of it, in Spades.

I was thrust into a Hawaiian culture, at break neck speed, into the Alana ohana and was first met with disaster. A tragedy I wish upon no person, and that suffering morphed its way into survival. A survival that promises to collect the ultimate price at the end of the day, but has no inclination that it has
Kacey
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC of this book. And couldnt wait to get started reading it.

From the first page I was sucked in. Kendall has a way of writing that draws you in and makes you love every character and she did not disappoint with this book. I fell in love with everyone in the Alana family. Keahilanis character was amazingly written. She is such as strong character but does at times show a softer more vulnerable side then BAM she is a bad ass again. One quote that I loved from this book that described
Mindy Guerreiros
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been sitting on this review for awhile after finishing this book. It's been about 2 weeks since I've read. I just can't seem to find the right words to write that will do this book justice. It's one you just need to read to see for yourself.

This book, the whole thing had me truly captured from the moment I started it. I loved everything about Hot-Blooded. From the story line, to the characters, the development, detail, descriptions, twists & turns, drama, action, and the heat (sex) was
Jamie Lynn
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the very intriguing plot, to the unconventional heroine, to the beautiful back drop of the Hawaiian Islands. I PROMISE you that you have NOT read a book like this. The writing is flawless, which we have all come accustomed to with Kendall Grey's work.

From the very first page, you are thrust into the story, and dropped into Hawaiian culture, heavy with back story. I didn't want to put the book down. It was phenomenal and kept me on edge, wondering what was going to happen next.

This book
Melissa Bugden
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to agree with other reviews, I had to sit on this for a day before leaving a review! SERIOUS BOOK HANGOVER!
This story is written in true Kendall Grey fashion, although different from her other novels, Hot-Blooded still has all of her quirkiness! Bad-Ass Keahilani belives that "Ohana is everything" she was taught that from her mother. After an unfortunate event she is forced to care for her "Ohana", by any means necessary. Tried and tested, she must face the unexpected and follow her
Tiffany Flowers
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Mindblowing Stars

I won an ARC!

This book was awesome. I am still speechless. Hot-Blooded is not like anything Kendall Grey has written before, but it is still a hot read! It will take you to places you don't want to go only to find out there is pleasure in pain.

Keahilani is a spit fire that leaves you guessing on exactly how crazy she will get. She believes "Ohana is everything" and she means everything.. nothing comes between her and her family!

I don't even know how do really give this book
Kerry Matchett
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG and WOW !!!
Read this book in a day and couldn't put it down , so different to the book I usually read .
I cannot get the story out of my head and it has left me stunned
Brilliant work Kendal Grey .
A must read
Melanie Marsh
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That's all I can say at the moment. Let me recover and I will write my real review!
Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch
Just Another Book Bitch's always spoiler free review

I received an ARC for an honest review

description

It's the mantra.. the meaning..the essence of this love story.

Keahilani is.....
"was like one of those really hot peppers that started off mild but ended with you in hives at the hospital, sweating your balls off, questioning your insane lack of common sense for indulging in such a poison"

She is intelligent, strong, and passionate. Keahilani is what we want our daughters to be. She is what I crave to see
Tiffany Readz
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whew-this book is one heck of a ride! Kendall Grey packs in drama, action, suspense and of course romance (Kendall Grey style) in Hot Blooded. One thing she does well is write a kick ass heroine and Keahilani is no exception. Kendall is also nice enough to put a glossary of Hawaiian terms in the front of the book (which I used a few times) so she could be true to the story. Nice move.

In the book, we are following the Alana ohana (family) and their struggles to take care of themselves after their
Karen
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one to rate, but I think I'm comfortable with 3.5 stars.

Have you read any of Kendall Grey's other books? I find them to be well written and there are always elements (usually the sex scenes) that push me out of my comfort zone. Knowing this, I approach her books with a certain level of intrigue and apprehension. I never know what is going to happen in her books and whether I'm going to be able to finish them. Same is true of this book. It is the start of a new series and thought
✿kawehi.reviews
Jul 14, 2014 marked it as to-read
Oh, Ke Akua (God). As a Native Hawaiian (or "Kanaka Maoli" as we sometimes call ourselves) myself and person who was born and still lives in Hawai'i, I have A LOT of trepidation regarding this book.

I read "volcano", "assassin," "Hawaiian cartel," and "Pele" (the goddess of fire/volcanoes) and I'm already cringing.

Trust me guys, nothing exciting happens in Hawai'i so to read a synopsis like this is just intriguing yet horrifying for me.

But...who knows, right?
Cindy
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, gritty, immoral but all done in the name of Ohana family. With Hawaii and Hawaiian mythology as the backdrop along with a cast of criminals, killers and lovers this book does not adhere to conventional story telling.

This is a story of a native Hawaiian family whose foundation crumbled when their mother died. Keahilani Alana and her three brothers before their mother died were a loving but poor family raised by a woman they all loved and respected but once she is gone and they wonder how
Nancy Steinle gummel
Hot-Blooded by Kendall Grey is a story of violence, sex and drugs. Keahilani and Kai are twins. They have 2 younger brothers, Mano and Bane. Their mom, Mahini was killed in a car accident. The last thing her mother told Keahilani was to remember her garden to promise not to forget it. They go to the garden to distribute their mom's ashes. Keahilani sees a butterfly. She follows it thinking it's from their mom. It leads them to a cachets of pot plants. About 10 plants. They agree to keep this ...more
Reanell Tisdale
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow. Kendall Grey knows how to write a badass heroine. I didn't know what to expect going in Hot-Blooded and I have to say I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it. I shouldn't have been, I mean come on, it's Kendall Fucking Grey!!

Kendall revamped Hot-Blooded. It got a new cover and some things were removed, like the glossary. Now, I really liked the first cover and I think I like it 10 times more knowing how the butterfly fits into the story. But the new cover also fits the story to a T!
Johanna Sawyer
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Thanks Wicked Reads for a free book to read and review. I'm on the fence about this one, only because so much is left unsaid. This is not a stand alone and definitely not a HEA at least not according to what is written. I'm a fan of strings, and I have to say the difference in the books is night and day. No similarities. Strings made me laugh out loud, this book made me frown. I want to read the next book in this series but I have to say I hope it takes a better turn. The writing is really good, ...more
Amy
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost kudos to Kendall for all the research she was required to do prior to writing this intense and mind bending story. This is a tragic story of love, loss, betrayal and what those things lead a person to do in order to protect its family. I never saw the twists and turns coming in this absolute brilliant read. Be warned .. there is no HEA but I will take the last chapter to the bank friends! Knocks your socks off and hit the floor! Get ready! Genius Kendall just pure genius!
Scarlet Letter
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and volcano bubble.
This ohana needs to leave that island garden on the double or they might find their world turned to rubble.

In Kendall Greys new book, Hot-Blooded, the first in the Ohana Series, a family of three brothers and one sister, native to the island of Maui, are left to carry on the family, or ohana, on their own when tragedy claims the life of their makuahine, mother. The novel tells the beginning of their attempts to support themselves via
Stacy
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and volcano bubble.

Shelley (Bella)
So much more than 5 stars. A totally explosive, wicked hot, and suspenseful tale. Review next week. (I need that much time to soak it all in and do the story justice with my ramblings. Ok, and yeah, I'm going camping. LOL.) Seriously, a truly captivating read.

***UPDATE*** Still not a full review, but something more to entice you all until I can wrap my head around WTF Kendall just did to me...

HOLY WOW! I'm a BIG Kendall Grey fan and let me tell you, she did not disappoint with this one. Hot.
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first word that comes to my mind about this book is, different.

Its not your typical love story or story about family, or loss. Yes there is all in here, but there is also a mythical factor played in. At times you're not sure if its hallucinations or the mythology portion playing out. Needless to say, I loved it! Mostly because of those reasons.

Based in Maui, Kendall takes on local myths and lore and adds them into her story, making you feel like you're there, sitting around a campfire
Kim
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Highly Recommended!!

If you're a fan of Kendall Grey's from her Rockers & Harlots series, this book is a complete departure from that...but don't let that stop you from reading HOT-BLOODED. This book is a mixture of love/hate, action/adventure, good/evil, HOT sex that goes places I've never read before. It includes Hawai'ian lore that gives it a supernatural background, but is written in such a way that it makes sense that it would be a part of it.

This story takes you
Brenda Cody
** MAY 2019 - Nearly 4 years later, Kendall Grey releases book 2. I had to reread Hot-Blooded, too many books devoured in between. This book is still a 5-star read and now I cannot wait to dig into Cold Blooded ('Ohana 2). Everything I wrote back in July 2014 holds. Hot Blooded is a fantastic read. It's dark, sexy, mysterious and there are many deadly twists and turns. The last few chapters are spectacular. Thank you Kendall for releasing the rest of the Alana family story! **

I finished this
Noelle Pierce
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Wow. Kendall Grey. Her name is becoming synonymous with gritty, well-developed characterizations, no matter which genre she writes. There's an undeniable edginess to her writing, and there's always super-hot (possibly illegal in 30 states) sex.

This book is no romance, though. This book is about family. Protecting it. Grey pulls no punches, and neither does her main character, Keahilani. Keahilani adopts the moniker "Pele," after the goddess of volcanoes, to describe her fiery nature,
Shelby
*I received a free copy to read & review for Wicked Reads*

I'm still reeling from this book and am not really sure how to review it - and do the story justice!
From the get go this book completely shook me to the core. Quite possibly the most intense first chapter I've EVER read. Which set up this crazy story.
Meet Keahilani Alana, the matriarch of her siblings who is trying to take care of her family. Which is proving to be very difficult and trying, but she is determined to make it work, by
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Coming out July 14th 16 29 Jul 14, 2014 05:15AM
A whale warrior, indie freedom fighter, and vodka martini aficionado, Kendall Grey is calm like an F-bomb*. She writes about fierce women and the men who love them. Her aliases include Kendall Day (FALLING FOR MR. SLATER) and Seven Slade (COMING OUT).

Kendall lives off a dirt road near Atlanta, Georgia, with three mischievous Demonlings, a dashing geek in cyber armor, a long-haired miniature

'Ohana (2 books)
  • Cold-Blooded ('Ohana, #2)

News & Interviews