Jump to ratings and reviews

'Ohana #1

Hot-Blooded

'Ohana is everything ...

When an accident claims her mother’s life, Keahilani Alana must take charge of her family or risk losing what little they have. With an underage brother to care for and no education, she has few options. The door to a heavenly hellish opportunity opens when she stumbles upon a valuable secret her mother left behind on the slopes of an extinct volcano—a legacy that tempts the family with riches beyond their wildest dreams. But the secret is much bigger and more sinister than they realize. As reality unravels and exposes eerie truths about the siblings that should have remained deep under the mountain, Keahilani must either resist the call of her blood or risk being consumed by its darkness.

Blake Murphy is an assassin working to infiltrate a new Hawaiian cartel. His investigation reveals that Keahilani, the sexy surfing instructor he pegged as an informant, is much closer to the drug ring than he thought. Passion ignites between them in the bedroom, but their ironclad ties to opposing interests pit them against each other everywhere else.

When tensions reach the breaking point and her family is threatened, the only cure for Keahilani’s hot-blooded fury is a loaded clip with a body bag chaser.

* HOT-BLOODED is a suspense/thriller that contains drug use and graphic sex, language, and violence. The story is intended to entertain, not to condone or glorify illegal or immoral activities. This book is unsuitable for sensitive readers and those under the age of 18.

326 pages, Paperback

First published July 4, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kendall Grey

29 books1,611 followers
A whale warrior, marathoner wannabe, and vodka martini aficionado, Kendall Grey is calm like an F-bomb*. She writes books about fierce women in genres ranging from erotica to urban fantasy comedy. Her aliases include Kendall Day (FALLING FOR MR. SLATER) and Seven Slade (COMING OUT).

Kendall lives off a dirt road near Atlanta, Georgia with her dashing geek husband, a one-eyed Dachshund that thinks she's a cat, and an incorrigible yet adorable mutt whose ice-blue eyes will steal your heart and hold it for ransom.

*Detonation manual not included.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Diane.
69 reviews
July 5, 2014
***5 Freaking Tiki Torches***
This review is MY opinion. Please read the synopsis and any content warning prior to purchasing.

Keahilani grew up with her mother stating OHANA is EVERYTHING. When life throws an unexpected curve ball at Keahilani and her family, she soon learns how true that saying is.

Keahilani and her brothers must find a way to stay together and keep the youngest brother headed in the right direction. Decisions are made once they find out why Mahina loved her garden so much.

Keahilani soon learns the father she seldom saw but thought was a great man was nothing like she thought. Her parents’ relationship was not all Mahina made it out to be and some of what Keahilani learns shatters her beliefs in her mother. Determined not to make the same mistake as her mother, Keahilani builds a wall around her heart and only lets Ohana inside. A haole, or white man, puts Keahilani through the test but she remains stoic and unbelieving to love despite her heart.

When life once again throws an unexpected curve ball into Keahilani’s life, she soon realizes, for her, OHANA IS EVERYTHING and no one and nothing will interfere with that. Willing to branch out her OHANA to someone other than blood, Keahilani soon realizes that blood is everything to her.

Take a ride on the wave of Hot-Blooded and find out why OHANA is truly EVERYTHING.
Profile Image for JC82.
161 reviews5 followers
July 7, 2014
AWESOME FECKING AWESOME

So for all you Kendall Grey fans out there, this book is very different from previous writings by KG and it effing rocks. If you have read the blurbs floating around social media then you know Kendall describes this book as a combo of Sin City and Twin Peaks and trust me this is about as accurate of a description as you can get. Totally spot on.

There is this very underlying sinister feel to the book, and it creeps up on you, grabs hold and then takes you on this very dark and twisted ride that is Kea's new life after the passing of her mother. Its scary, exhilarating and downright traumatizing at times but sooooo worth every minute of it. There are several characters in this book mainly Kea's trio of brothers (Bane, Kai, and Mano) and then some not so bad but sometimes bad,yet delicious enemies, most importantly Blake. Blake is an assassin and he just might be playing on the wrong side of the fence in this story.

The passion and intensity between these two opposing sides is freaking phenomenal. Volcanic eruptions wouldn't top the heat these two give off. Blake and Kea together are FECKING HAWT, seriously my kindle might have been melting during the sex scenes or maybe it was just my palms getting sweaty. I loved the struggle between these two physically and emotionally. Some moments broke my heart but Kendall stayed true to her characters, who they were and what they stood for. In this book Blake and Kea both stand loyal to their 'Ohana and it is both admirable and amazingly done. After all 'Ohana is everything and the book proves this very sentiment.

This is an amazing read with a little bit of everything. You have suspense, drama, passion, love in a variety of aspects, some supernatural elements and a kick-ass back drop. This book is infused with culture, legend, and some native language that will transport you to the sunny warmth of the beautiful and mystical place that is Hawaii and take you on a dark ride that you won't forget.

Profile Image for Kimberly Cheeseman.
246 reviews2 followers
July 8, 2014
After reading Kendall's Just Breathe Urban Fantasy series - which I loved...
After reading her Hard Rock Harlots series - which made me go "wow" (major warnings for this series) and still loved...
I was not sure what to expect with her NEW book coming out July 14th, HOT-BLOODED...
So here are my thoughts....

From the 1st chapter I was AFREAKINAMAZED...It is very different from her other 2 series. It is full of Emotion, Family, Love, Action, Guns, Drugs, and even a little magic...It is a very amazing book.

I like how Kendal put together this book. It takes place in Hawaii. I really enjoyed getting to know the female Lead, Keahilani Alana(Kea). She is a Twin, Surf Shop owner, a daughter, a sister, a lover and SHE will do whatever it takes to make sure her "Ohana", family is taken care of. Actually one of my favorite characters is one of her brothers Mano and I really hope he gets his own book. I Love those "bad boys" with heart...and I really think he has one in there. The other main lead is a male who goes by Blake. When He and Kea meet - it is explosive. And I will just leave it at that because so much happens between them and the story - I just don't want to give it away.

This is a book I am going to be able to share with Friends & Family, but yet it has enough "action, heart & suspense" to keep it right there on the "edgy" side.

I can't wait until it is released official on July 14th so I can get my personal copy.

Thank you Kendall for writing this story and I look forward to more.
Profile Image for Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book.
1,039 reviews18 followers
July 14, 2014
Riveting!

That's the word that plays over and over in my mind when I try to put this book into words.

I won an ARC and decided to start late yesterday. Well...I could not put it down. I finished last night, I slept on it because I'm afraid I cannot do justice how I felt about this book. I have a book hangover that's for sure.

Kendal Grey's writing voice is truly a gift. From the moment I started I was sucked in. I enjoyed the simultaneous stories, the journey, the wild ride, AND amazing how it all collided.

Pele was a kick ass, hard ass, take no prisoners kind of gal and just when you thought she might soften...BOOM. I'm not a spoiler gal....so suffice to say. If you want dark, sometimes violent, sometimes scratch your head...OH NO SHE DIDN'T ride of your life. YOU must read. OHANA/Family....AND what a family.

Again I will go back to the word riveted...I was glued, memorized by the tale that Kendal weaved. When an author makes you FEEL, well then in my opinion they have done there job. Whether you love or hate a character the fact that you FELT means mission accomplished!

Well done Kendal Grey...I can't wait for the next book...I'm looking forward to another wild ass ride!
Profile Image for Erin.
233 reviews
September 19, 2014
5 Ninja Dimple STARS!

Even though I marinated on this story for days before writing this I'm still finding it hard to do it justice! This book was beyond amazing! The story was so crazy, twisty and turny, suspenseful, heartbreaking, and very poetic. Kendall has a way with words that just pull you in and don't let go!

She pulled so many emotions out of me and I'm still reeling and in shock a week later! There's a mythical and supernatural thing going on that is suspenseful and keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what on earth is going to happen! I had SO MANY WTF and NO WAY moments! I literally could NOT put this book down until I was done!

Everyone is so tied together it's crazy! Kendall Grey has an uncanny way of weaving an incredible tale of epic proportions! I was on the edge of my seat at every turn of the page and I will continue to be there until the next book comes out! And WOW what an ending! And I am so in love and invested in these character and cannot wait to see what's next! Bravo, Kendall, BRAVO!
Profile Image for  All Is Read-Lexy .
214 reviews15 followers
July 8, 2014

Amazing! So much fun! Kendall Grey is the epitome of a Great Storyteller. Whether it is Urban Fantasy, Romance, or Dark and Twisting, Hot-Blooded and Kendall Grey has all of it, in Spades.

I was thrust into a Hawaiian culture, at break neck speed, into the Alana ‘ohana and was first met with disaster. A tragedy I wish upon no person, and that suffering morphed its way into survival. A survival that promises to collect the ultimate price at the end of the day, but has no inclination that it has met its match in Pele. In tradition and folklore Pele is the Goddess of Volcanoes, and in Hot- Blooded, Pele comes to symbolize who our lead female represents, in other words who she is.
description

Keahilani is given a secret that will be sure to bring stability and contentment to her ‘ohana that she desperately needs to take care of. Along with all that responsibility comes a world of darkness that descends into and around her. Along the way Kea meets Blake. Someone who has got under her skin far too easily and is sure to throw her whole world off its axis. Let’s not forget Kea’s twin brother Kei, and younger brothers Mano and Bane, who have their own secrets. What am I talking about here?? Not much because if I do I promise you there will be more questions and you have to see for yourself what this awesome story is about. The first in this series and thank the god & goddesses that Hot –Blooded will be a series because I just know there is a WHOLE lot more to this story and we’ve only sighted the top of this mountain, we have yet to make the trek up.
description

With so much description that Kendall Grey is known for, the reader can’t help but be front and center in the mind with vivid illustrations of not only scenery but with character development as well. Flawlessly written and edited to its highest potential, being indie published, Hot-Blooded puts the standard to excellence and nothing short of. When you start reading Hot- Blooded you can’t help but fall for Kendall Grey’s writing and storytelling, again. She is an ACE no matter what genre she pumps out.

5 + Stars in the chamber and shot out!

Profile Image for Kacey.
13 reviews
July 7, 2014
I won an ARC of this book…. And couldn’t wait to get started reading it.

From the first page I was sucked in. Kendall has a way of writing that draws you in and makes you love every character and she did not disappoint with this book. I fell in love with everyone in the Alana family. Keahilani’s character was amazingly written. She is such as strong character but does at times show a softer more vulnerable side then BAM she is a bad ass again. One quote that I loved from this book that described Kealilani was; “She was like one of those really hot peppers that started off mild but ended with you in hives at this hospital sweating your balls off, questioning your insane lack of common sense for indulging in such a poison.” She loves her ‘Ohana and will do anything to protect them and keep them safe. She is not afraid to dive into the dark side to get it done. Ohana is everything.

The chemistry between Keahilani and Blake was amazing. I couldn’t get enough of them. I hated Blake but loved him at the same time. The twists, turns and surprises in this book keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I was reeling with anticipation while reading and had a hard time putting this book down.

If you are looking for a light and fluffy, happy ending read this is not it. Hot-Blooded is gritty and not for the faint of heart. Please read the warning and synopsis before reading this book. I will say that if you read it, I do not believe you will be disappointed. Hot-Blooded is a rollercoaster ride that you will want to keep riding over and over!! I can’t wait for the next book!!
Profile Image for Mindy Guerreiros.
Author 1 book92 followers
July 11, 2014
I've been sitting on this review for awhile after finishing this book. It's been about 2 weeks since I've read. I just can't seem to find the right words to write that will do this book justice. It's one you just need to read to see for yourself.

This book, the whole thing had me truly captured from the moment I started it. I loved everything about Hot-Blooded. From the story line, to the characters, the development, detail, descriptions, twists & turns, drama, action, and the heat (sex) was all perfectly balanced. My connection to this book was great. The author had a way of making me feel completely captured and apart of their world.

Do yourself a favor and grab this book. It's different from anything out there at the moment. This one is truly original! I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. MORE! I am so glad that more will come.

Happy Reading & Reviewing!
Profile Image for Jamie Lynn.
174 reviews22 followers
July 10, 2014
From the very intriguing plot, to the unconventional heroine, to the beautiful back drop of the Hawaiian Islands. I PROMISE you that you have NOT read a book like this. The writing is flawless, which we have all come accustomed to with Kendall Grey's work.

From the very first page, you are thrust into the story, and dropped into Hawaiian culture, heavy with back story. I didn't want to put the book down. It was phenomenal and kept me on edge, wondering what was going to happen next.

This book proves to be Grey's best writing yet, she has truly out done herself with Hot-Blooded. There are so many twists and turns, and to write a complex story one has to truly have the talent. This woman has that talent. I can't wait to see what she comes up with for the next book!

Profile Image for Melissa Ann.
305 reviews16 followers
July 10, 2014
I have to agree with other reviews, I had to sit on this for a day before leaving a review! SERIOUS BOOK HANGOVER!
This story is written in true Kendall Grey fashion, although different from her other novels, Hot-Blooded still has all of her quirkiness! Bad-Ass Keahilani belives that "Ohana is everything" she was taught that from her mother. After an unfortunate event she is forced to care for her "Ohana", by any means necessary. Tried and tested, she must face the unexpected and follow her instincts, and her spirit guide to provide and protect her "Ohana". Loved the attitude, spirit, and drama of this new book by Kendall Grey, the total package of a page turner!
Profile Image for Tiffany Flowers.
Author 11 books78 followers
July 9, 2014
5 Mindblowing Stars

I won an ARC!

This book was awesome. I am still speechless. Hot-Blooded is not like anything Kendall Grey has written before, but it is still a hot read! It will take you to places you don't want to go only to find out there is pleasure in pain.

Keahilani is a spit fire that leaves you guessing on exactly how crazy she will get. She believes "Ohana is everything" and she means everything.. nothing comes between her and her family!

I don't even know how do really give this book Justice. You just need to read it.
Profile Image for Kerry Matchett.
79 reviews8 followers
January 29, 2015
OMG and WOW !!!
Read this book in a day and couldn't put it down , so different to the book I usually read .
I cannot get the story out of my head and it has left me stunned
Brilliant work Kendal Grey .
A must read
Profile Image for Melanie Marsh.
462 reviews18 followers
September 16, 2014
Wow. That's all I can say at the moment. Let me recover and I will write my real review!
Profile Image for Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch.
160 reviews140 followers
January 1, 2015
Just Another Book Bitch's always spoiler free review

I received an ARC for an honest review

description

It's the mantra.. the meaning..the essence of this love story.

Keahilani is.....
"was like one of those really hot peppers that started off mild but ended with you in hives at the hospital, sweating your balls off, questioning your insane lack of common sense for indulging in such a poison"

She is intelligent, strong, and passionate. Keahilani is what we want our daughters to be. She is what I crave to see in more of our literature. What I would hope to see in more women in future.

Thrust into the role of matriarch, she provides and cares for her family the best way she can. All be it, questionable methods are used, she plays the cards she has been dealt and plays them well. She is also known as Pele, an alter ego chosen from a volcano goddess from hawaiian mythology to keep her not so proper business dealings separate from her mainstream life. Pele, demands attention and respect. She becomes the embodiment of the goddess herself many times. Never more so than when we witness her erupt and unleash her fury on those that dare cross her.

The sex scenes can only be described as animalistic, greedy, and HOT! A woman that knows what she wants and takes it! She makes no excuses for her dark and rough desires. The power struggle that takes place every time Blake and Keahilani are together physically is explosive. They consume such raw need for the other that it is erotica at it's best.

description

The story touches on some mystical hawaiian folklore, and while I would usually frown upon such things in a novel such as this, it was woven in so perfectly that I am once again in awe of author Kendall Grey.

This is the 1st in the series but there is NO CLIFF! And while there are some other great characters in this novel that I know you will be drawn to, I wanted to concentrate on what I wish to see in more novels.

The Strong woman

description
Profile Image for Tiffany Readz.
1,817 reviews45 followers
July 12, 2014
Whew-this book is one heck of a ride! Kendall Grey packs in drama, action, suspense and of course romance (Kendall Grey style) in Hot Blooded. One thing she does well is write a kick ass heroine and Keahilani is no exception. Kendall is also nice enough to put a glossary of Hawaiian terms in the front of the book (which I used a few times) so she could be true to the story. Nice move.

In the book, we are following the Alana ohana (family) and their struggles to take care of themselves after their mother dies. Keahilani has a twin Kai, there are brothers Mano and Bane as well. She learns of her mothers secret and with Kai and Mano, they try to use it to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Much easier said than done.

The "family business" they run is top secret, only a few well-paid locals know what it involves as they have helped out from time to time, however have never actually seen where it's located. The secret is the life blood of the family's existence while also may be what ends up tearing them apart. It is very complicated for the kids to keep things under wraps while running a surf shop cover and keeping Bane, the youngest brother, out of it completely. Keahilani feels responsible for baby brother Bane and keeps him at arms length from the secret the best she can.

Blake Murphy is the resident haole (white guy) in the story. He is a loaner, with the leader of a drug cartel counting as his best friend and family. Blake was sent to find out who is dealing on the island cutting into their business. On his search, Blake runs across the beautiful Keahilani, not realizing how much trouble she really is, he decides take a surfing lesson from her to get closer. Of course after the lesson he wants more, but has no idea besides being a hell cat in bed, what Keahilani really is.

This is where it all goes downhill. Nobody is safe, everybody has secrets and the island spirit that surrounds them is no help at all. The continual butterfly reference was my favorite part of the story and makes the cover that much better.

Hot Blooded is a great book for when you need a break from the "usual" romance. This is a story that is hot one minute and scary as hell the next. It ends with a bang, making you want for more of the Alana ohana.
Profile Image for Karen.
502 reviews1 follower
December 6, 2014
This is a tough one to rate, but I think I'm comfortable with 3.5 stars.

Have you read any of Kendall Grey's other books? I find them to be well written and there are always elements (usually the sex scenes) that push me out of my comfort zone. Knowing this, I approach her books with a certain level of intrigue and apprehension. I never know what is going to happen in her books and whether I'm going to be able to finish them. Same is true of this book. It is the start of a new series and thought I'd give it a try.

No issues at all with the writing. The characters become clear very early through their actions and the story draws you in very quickly. As I was reading this, I couldn't help making comparisons to Karina Halle's Artist Trilogy. Each are dark stories with characters who are not wholly good or wholly evil and each have a romance element that doesn't follow convention.

Did I like this book? I'm not entirely sure. There is nothing about this story that is sugar-coated and those looking for a happy story to distract them for a couple of days should probably look elsewhere. But, this was definitely different from other stories I'd been reading lately and I enjoyed it for that reason. I'd recommend this to someone who is looking for a change and who doesn't mind if things get a little uncomfortable along the way.
Profile Image for ✿kawehi.reviews.
1,453 reviews410 followers
Want to read
July 17, 2014
Oh, Ke Akua (God). As a Native Hawaiian (or "Kanaka Maoli" as we sometimes call ourselves) myself and person who was born and still lives in Hawai'i, I have A LOT of trepidation regarding this book.

I read "volcano", "assassin," "Hawaiian cartel," and "Pele" (the goddess of fire/volcanoes) and I'm already cringing.

Trust me guys, nothing exciting happens in Hawai'i so to read a synopsis like this is just intriguing yet horrifying for me.

But...who knows, right?
Profile Image for Cindy.
2,216 reviews133 followers
September 15, 2014
Dark, gritty, immoral but all done in the name of Ohana “family”. With Hawaii and Hawaiian mythology as the backdrop along with a cast of criminals, killers and lovers this book does not adhere to conventional story telling.

This is a story of a native Hawaiian family whose foundation crumbled when their mother died. Keahilani Alana and her three brothers before their mother died were a loving but poor family raised by a woman they all loved and respected but once she is gone and they wonder how they will survive a secret hidden on an extinct volcano seems to be the answer they were looking for but it comes at the cost of staying on the right side of the law. Keahilani and her brothers have no problem doing what it takes to keep their family together and allow no one to mess with their ohana.

Along with the Alana family there is also a mobster and his assassin along with a few other quirky criminals. These characters are on a collision course through the book to both shocking and dire circumstances. Even though the mother dies at the beginning of the book we the reader through flashbacks of her whole life through the journals that Keahilani finds that tie in the Hawaiian mythology to the family along with showing that her life wasn’t what she presented to her children which showed where the violence started but also showed how far family would go to protect the ones they loved.

For those that need endings that come wrapped in pretty bows this is not that book. The saga of the Alana family will be continued in future books. Keahilani Alana and her alter ego Pele are reminiscent of Michael Corleone and pull you in just as powerfully. I’d like to crawl into the author’s mind to see where she is going with this story. I need answers now!
Profile Image for Nancy Steinle gummel.
507 reviews87 followers
November 18, 2014
Hot-Blooded by Kendall Grey is a story of violence, sex and drugs. Keahilani and Kai are twins. They have 2 younger brothers, Mano and Bane. Their mom, Mahini was killed in a car accident. The last thing her mother told Keahilani was to remember her garden to promise not to forget it. They go to the garden to distribute their mom's ashes. Keahilani sees a butterfly. She follows it thinking it's from their mom. It leads them to a cachets of pot plants. About 10 plants. They agree to keep this secret from Bane. Keahilani starts off and cross breeds the plants to make a very strong weed that makes sex more enjoyable. Six years later, Scott holds the monopoly on the islands for the drug trade and contract hits. Blake is Scott's number one man and enforcer. Scott sends him on a mission after one of his sellers ends up dead. He wants to punish the guilty party. Blake begins his investigation. It leads him to a surf shop. He meets Keahilani. He asks for surf lesson. He calls Keahilani, Kea. She discovers he knows how to surf. They go back to the motel and have wild sex. Keahilani feels something for the first time since her mom's death. Keahilani starts reading her mom's journal and learns more about their father. He was a white man. See how Blake and Kea connect. How Blake follows Kea in her Pelee personna and discovers her secrets.
Profile Image for Reanell Tisdale.
533 reviews183 followers
September 19, 2014
Wow. Kendall Grey knows how to write a badass heroine. I didn't know what to expect going in Hot-Blooded and I have to say I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it. I shouldn't have been, I mean come on, it's Kendall Fucking Grey!!

Kendall revamped Hot-Blooded. It got a new cover and some things were removed, like the glossary. Now, I really liked the first cover and I think I like it 10 times more knowing how the butterfly fits into the story. But the new cover also fits the story to a T! It depicts a bad ass heroine!! And that is exactly what Keahilani is.

This is a story that isn't for everyone. It has drugs, sex(hot kinky sex) and murder. Sometimes it can be too much in a book, but not with Hot-Blooded. It's the perfect blend.

My favorite part of the story is the letters. Getting some backstory on their mother and fathers relationship was a genius move on adding 'more' to he story. And what a doozy of a story it is.

I'm convinced that Kendall can write about anything and make a fabulous storyline. Paranormal, comical smut, and now sexy drug lords and badass heroines. Kudos to Kendall for another bad ass book!
Profile Image for Johanna Sawyer.
3,295 reviews35 followers
August 25, 2014
Thanks Wicked Reads for a free book to read and review. I'm on the fence about this one, only because so much is left unsaid. This is not a stand alone and definitely not a HEA at least not according to what is written. I'm a fan of strings, and I have to say the difference in the books is night and day. No similarities. Strings made me laugh out loud, this book made me frown. I want to read the next book in this series but I have to say I hope it takes a better turn. The writing is really good, and I feel like I'm definitely in the moment but maybe I'm sick in the head for wanting something to come out of this. I can't see no light at the end of the tunnel syndrome. So far the plot has puzzled me. Overall entertainment is three stars.
Profile Image for Amy.
693 reviews
July 16, 2014
First and foremost kudos to Kendall for all the research she was required to do prior to writing this intense and mind bending story. This is a tragic story of love, loss, betrayal and what those things lead a person to do in order to protect its family. I never saw the twists and turns coming in this absolute brilliant read. Be warned .. there is no HEA but I will take the last chapter to the bank friends! Knocks your socks off and hit the floor! Get ready! Genius Kendall just pure genius!
Profile Image for Stacy.
19 reviews
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and volcano bubble.
This ‘ohana needs to leave that island “garden” on the double or they might find their world turned to rubble.

In Kendall Grey’s new book, Hot-Blooded, the first in the ‘Ohana Series, a family of three brothers and one sister, native to the island of Maui, are left to carry on the family, or “‘ohana,” on their own when tragedy claims the life of their “makuahine,” mother. The novel tells the beginning of their attempts to support themselves via illegal means, the foundations of which they discover in their makuahine’s beloved garden on the slopes of Haleakalā. Life building a criminal empire doesn’t go as planned as their competition seeks to maintain its territory and ghosts of the past make their appearance to derail both their business pursuits and their connection as an ‘ohana. By the end of this installment, we find there’s much more to this story than there seems and those ghosts will haunt them all.

Readers be forewarned: this is not your fairytale, “knight in shining armor sweeps the damsel in distress off her feet,” romance novel. It’s not an “alpha male growling ‘mine’ and tearing underwear to the point of dubcon” erotica. This is a “young woman has to do what she can to support and protect her family, and sometimes that isn’t pretty,” story of survival and love and taking the reins, which might include some sex between equal parties so hot it results in “wild blood hissing and spitting in [one’s] veins.”

“Sometimes she wished she didn’t have such … dark tastes.”

Alpha bitches really can be hot. So can an actual storyline. Grey weaves a web of sexy plot through this book with the skill of a master, keeping you turning pages faster than a coked out gerbil riding a cheetah. This author clearly cares about the craft and puts love and dedication into every paragraph on every page, raising the bar for her indie author colleagues. This is the type of writing that will raise independent publishing to respectable levels within the industry. Not only are these pages graced with vivid imagery like “bullet-wound body art” and “human organ lampshades and soft tissue wall accents,” but Grey can also infuse emotion into deeper moments. You want to know these characters. You want to be a part of this ‘ohana. You live their struggle as much as you live their sexy venture into the criminal world. As much as you feel the tragedy transform these siblings throughout the story, let’s not forget how hot-blooded our leading lady is. I’d say she takes no prisoners, but she certainly takes one, and the sexual tension erupts between them.

Surely, things can’t turn up “rainbows and moonbeams” for a young ‘ohana’s first foray into the world of crime. See where the drive to succeed, distain for competition, lust to be sated, betrayal of trust, and reveal of secrets takes them in this steaming hot novel by Kendall Grey, Hot-Blooded.
Profile Image for Scarlet Letter.
6 reviews7 followers
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and volcano bubble.

“Sometimes she wished she didn’t have such … dark tastes.”

Profile Image for Bella.
296 reviews36 followers
July 22, 2014
So much more than 5 stars. A totally explosive, wicked hot, and suspenseful tale. Review next week. (I need that much time to soak it all in and do the story justice with my ramblings. Ok, and yeah, I'm going camping. LOL.) Seriously, a truly captivating read.

***UPDATE*** Still not a full review, but something more to entice you all until I can wrap my head around WTF Kendall just did to me...

HOLY WOW! I'm a BIG Kendall Grey fan and let me tell you, she did not disappoint with this one. Hot. Heavy. Shocking. On the edge. HOT-BLOODED was everything I hoped for and MORE. I'm still reeling days after devouring it.
Keahilani was one tough female who had little hesitation when protecting her family. As is the theme of the story, "'Ohana is everything", and she'll stop at nothing to see them safe and prospering. And I mean nothing. HB was a truly fascinating, no holds barred, balls to the wall, THRILLFEST. It's not your typical romance. In fact, it's not a romance in the author's eyes, but don't let that fool you... HOT-BLOODED is just as SEXY, raw, gritty, and nasty as Kendall's Hard Rock Harlots. Just don't expect that HEA- you're not going to get it. Full of surprises and a touch of the paranormal, HOT-BLOODED is a wonderful chaotic mix of action, mystery and suspense, with a delicious dose of smut. You will be shocked and rocked to your core. And guaranteed, you'll LOVE every breathtaking moment.

Profile Image for Kim.
25 reviews9 followers
July 18, 2014
LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Highly Recommended!!

If you're a fan of Kendall Grey's from her Rockers & Harlots series, this book is a complete departure from that...but don't let that stop you from reading HOT-BLOODED. This book is a mixture of love/hate, action/adventure, good/evil, HOT sex that goes places I've never read before. It includes Hawai'ian lore that gives it a supernatural background, but is written in such a way that it makes sense that it would be a part of it.

This story takes you through so many twists and turns you never see coming, but the common thread that ties all the characters together is LOVE. Love for their "Ohana (families) in whatever form that takes, and what lengths they will go to to protect them.

The romance between the two main characters, Keahilani and Blake, is as unconventional as you can get but probably the most explosive one you've ever read. Let's just says their relationship can give the volcanoes of Hawai'i a run for their money.

As this story progresses, it starts to take on a very sinister tone and really drives some of the characters to levels they didn't know they could go, and by the end I just sat there with my mouth open, saying, "This can't be the end, it can't end this way!"

I am sure Kendall Grey can take us on so many more exciting, crazy trips. I'll be first in line to get my ticket, you should be too! This book is truly an amazing adventure, and I highly recommend you start with HOT-BLOODED!!
Profile Image for Stephanie   GooglyEyes.
1,153 reviews32 followers
January 13, 2015
The first word that comes to my mind about this book is, different.

Its not your typical love story or story about family, or loss. Yes there is all in here, but there is also a mythical factor played in. At times you're not sure if its hallucinations or the mythology portion playing out. Needless to say, I loved it! Mostly because of those reasons.

Based in Maui, Kendall takes on local myths and lore and adds them into her story, making you feel like you're there, sitting around a campfire listening to elders tell you these urban legends.

Kea and Blake are not your typical love story, there is no HEA for them. Kendall calls to my black heart with this.... While I know people read fiction that always ends in HEAs to get them out of reality, yadda yadda, I love when an author has the balls to go the other direction...to me, it makes the story more emotional and intense. Some stories NEED death and heartache, it just gives them that extra "umph" bringing them to new heights. I think if it didn't turn out the way it did, it could have fallen short. But Kendall knows how to tell a story. This one feels almost like a mix of both her other series combined, where Nocturnes was dark, but with that underlying theme of Strings, and the PNR in just breath. Though I wouldn't call this one a PNR, just has mythological aspects to it.

So in a few words, this book is dark, sexy, and mysterious. I really hope there is another one coming.

#Ohanaiseverything
Profile Image for Brenda Cody.
513 reviews
May 4, 2019
** MAY 2019 - Nearly 4 years later, Kendall Grey releases book 2. I had to reread Hot-Blooded, too many books devoured in between. This book is still a 5-star read and now I cannot wait to dig into Cold Blooded ('Ohana 2). Everything I wrote back in July 2014 holds. Hot Blooded is a fantastic read. It's dark, sexy, mysterious and there are many deadly twists and turns. The last few chapters are spectacular. Thank you Kendall for releasing the rest of the Alana family story! **

I finished this book last night and had to pick my jaw up off the floor! Kendall Grey has completely floored me with a complex, twisted, dark plot that captures you and doesn't let go. I had dreams about tiki monsters and volcanoes erupting!

I don't want to go into too much about the story - the book description gives you enough to get you going. Be sure to heed the warning, there is no HEA here. There is drugs, sex, murder and the power of family bonds and then throw in a little Hawaiian voodoo or ghostly magic and you've got yourself one hell of ride. I want people buy this book and get as captivated as I am! Do not hesitate - one-click right now!!! You won't be disappointed. This unique story needs to be shared with the masses.

The Alana Family - Keahilani, Kai and Mano and Bane - you don't want to miss their story. Thanks KG
Profile Image for Noelle Pierce.
Author 7 books32 followers
July 23, 2014
Oh. My. Wow. Kendall Grey. Her name is becoming synonymous with gritty, well-developed characterizations, no matter which genre she writes. There's an undeniable edginess to her writing, and there's always super-hot (possibly illegal in 30 states) sex.

This book is no romance, though. This book is about family. Protecting it. Grey pulls no punches, and neither does her main character, Keahilani. Keahilani adopts the moniker "Pele," after the goddess of volcanoes, to describe her fiery nature, and it's apt.

After the death of her mother, Keahilani and her twin brother, Kai, need to take care of each other, and their younger brothers--by any means necessary, even illegal ones. While doing so, they discover some of their mother's secrets and have to deal with rival groups who would as soon kill them as deal with them. Their mother's journals become a driving force and parallel for Keahilani's own romantic interests, but as I said, this is no romance. Because when her romantic interest crosses the line and challenges her family, he learns that to Keahilani, Ohana is not just everything. It's the ONLY thing.

Another reviewer called this story "Hawai'ian Noir" and it is the PERFECT way to describe it. Dark. Gritty. Edgy. Hot. A story worthy of Pele herself.
Profile Image for Shelby.
572 reviews6 followers
August 4, 2014
*I received a free copy to read & review for Wicked Reads*

I'm still reeling from this book and am not really sure how to review it - and do the story justice!
From the get go this book completely shook me to the core. Quite possibly the most intense first chapter I've EVER read. Which set up this crazy story.
Meet Keahilani Alana, the matriarch of her siblings who is trying to take care of her family. Which is proving to be very difficult and trying, but she is determined to make it work, by any means possible.
The problem is the "means possible" aren't exactly legal, and she isn't the only person interested in "market" space. This is all I'm willing to say in order to avoid spoiling the story.

I can't really classify this, as it crosses SO many genres: Action/violence, Thriller/suspense, Dark erotica, a touch of romance, and a touch of supernatural.

This was a crazy ride from start to finish! I can't wait to see where this story leads.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Displaying 1 - 30 of 143 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.