Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #3)

Avatar Aang and friends honor an Air Nomad holiday that hasn't been celebrated in over one hundred years, but when cryptic visits from the spirit of Avatar Yangchen lead Aang to a refinery operating on land sacred to the Airbenders--they soon find themselves in peril as a dangerously powerful ancient spirit awakens with vengeance and destruction on its mind!

This collection
Hardcover, Library Edition, 240 pages
Published February 24th 2015 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
Tim Smedinga There's three comic trilogies, and while you'll certainly be able to follow everything, I can heartily recommend reading them in order: The Promise, T…moreThere's three comic trilogies, and while you'll certainly be able to follow everything, I can heartily recommend reading them in order: The Promise, The Search, and finally The Rift. (less)

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
may ➹
Aang looks like an egg on this cover <3

3.5
Mrinmayi
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I am giving this 4 stars ONLY for my Baby Toph
Mrin looking at Toph growing up and becoming the best earth and metal bender

When Toph is destroying villains..Mrin be like:
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

The story is starting to shift into 'Legend of Korra' territory and leaving behind the past, which is not my favourite because let's be real, The Last Airbender is a far superior series to The Legend of Korra :(

But I care WAY too much about these characters to not enjoy these, even if they're moving in a different direction!
Leah Waters
So fun! 4.5 stars for this books, because the plot was kind of a mess, but overall I really loved it.

There some important controversial topics and I loved exploring those, and of course Team Avatar will always be amazing. It could have been done better, though, which is why it wasn't a full 5 stars.
CF Dracarys
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the spiritual story and can tell that it's going to be a prominent problem in the comics moving forward. What I love about this world and story is that at times I think I know what's going to happen and what's right (the correct path Aang must take to preserve his morals while also molding a new world). But time and again I'm surprised by what happens, that Aang found a middle ground between protecting and preserving while also finding room to evolve. I love these writers. I love these c ...more
Sesana
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
It took me a lot longer to get into this volume. The problem, for me, is that Toph is my least favorite member of Team Avatar. I still like her, a lot, but not nearly so much as the others. The story is still fairly solid, and the quality is as every bit as high as it has been in the other post-Avatar comics. I really do think that people who like Toph more than me will be more happy with this book, and people who love her best will probably love it.
Chad
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Team Avatar heads to an area sacred to Air Nation only to find it has been industrialized. Now Aang has to do with an angry spirit who was promised the land would remain unclaimed. There's some really good stuff. Toph shares the spotlight in this one. I like how even though is written for kids, there is plenty for adults to enjoy as well.

Received a review copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Juho Pohjalainen
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this one. Solid character growth for Toph, and more of Yangchen.
Maddie
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
milou  ☕️
This is really Toph and Aang their story and how the world has been changing after the war has ended. While Aang wants to drastically hold onto the past and the people that he has lost, he wants to honor and embrace the ways of his culture.

Toph on the other hand has a completely different view about everything and is convinced that Aang shouldn't be living according to ancient traditions since they haven't been practiced and honored in over a hundred years. Toph is someone who lives in the now.
Divine Anas
This one revolved in Toph and Aang's relationship. More answers are again answered especially on Toph's relationship with her father. I also have a working theory that Sokka is indeed not Toph's husband as speculated in LoK because a new character here really resembles one of her daughters. Idk about it yet since I only watched the first ep and only saw references online HAHAHAH. Nevertheless, The Rift is such a powerful book as it also skirts a great debate when it comes to past traditions and ...more
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{July 31st, 2015} MINI RTC?

5 stars.

I swear, the more and more I hear and read these, the more and more I am grateful to all those that have worked long and hard on these tales. The Rift combines the interesting aspect of the struggle between the past and the future that Aang and Toph both represent respectively. Their relationship is centered and clash and are defined by these aspects. And oh, how devlving more into the mythology of ALTA universe just made me one very happy girl.

I cannot wait fo
Himanshu Karmacharya
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fun addition to this already amazing series. The Avatar tries to protect the world from an ancient spirit, that is linked to a Air Nomad fesitval.

I liked this one better than the previous entry. I loved how the book dwells with the theme of change and its effect on lives.

The book also serves as a great arc for Toph, and her fans are highly likely to love this one.
Jaymi
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
While The Promise and The Search felt very relevant and closely tied to the tv series, this collection seemed a little more removed. The story is still fun and the characters are still dear. Its story just lacked the political significance of The Promise and the fan-based emotional import of The Search. I still love that these writers have continued the Avatar story, and it's still worth the read for a fan! ...more
Hannah
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
AHHH THE RETURN OF CABBAGE MAN 💕💕
Billy Jepma
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2020
This might be the strongest arc of the Avatar comics, yet. It might not have the repercussions of “The Search,” but it’s wrestles with its thematics in a rich and rewarding way. Seeing these characters forced to grapple with the pressure of progress and the need to respect the past, without being bound to either of them, is fantastic and feels very right for the world of Avatar, especially considering where that world ends up in the “Legend of Korra.”

Some of the tensions introduced between chara
Pedro
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The balance between nature and human development is a complex and nuance one. This volume attempts to tackle that subject and falls short on a resolution- but that might be the intention.
I'm always amazed by how this series never hesitates from tackling tough subjects. We see true depictions of oppression and forced labor all throughout this volume and people point it out. Shining light on what a wrong is the first step. In this case, this volume shows forced labor and a cruel boss.

I also enjo
Blake the Book Eater
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

The Rift was a good arc, but not the best this series has to offer. It has some fun conflict between Aang and Toph and we get to learn a little more about Avatar Yangchen and meet some cool new characters...but it just didn’t live up to the heights that the Search gave me.

I will have to say this arc introduces the theme of societal progress and technology as a way for non-benders to be more equal and these themes resonate throughout the rest of the comics and into Ko
Alyson Stone
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book: Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift
Author: Gene Luen Yang
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I really did enjoy this one and getting more depth on Toph. I was a little disappointed that Zuko wasn’t in here. I was really looking forward to having an expansion on the events in The Search, so this one left me a little disappointed. However, it was still so good. I really did like getting more development on Toph.

So, Aang wants to celebrate an Airbending tradition. He and the gang (minus Zuko) travel t
kris
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Toph and Aang argue with metaphor. Also, spirits and the beginnings of the industrial overhaul no one is ready for except Toph.

A bit patchy and heavy on said metaphor, but MAN THESE BOOKS MAKE ME FEEL THINGS, mostly about Sokka and his boomerang DON'T JUDGE ME K.
Aldi
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really happy to have Toph back. She rules at everything (and her dad is a sucky wet blanket who doesn't deserve a daughter this awesome, hmph). Otherwise, this was great but not epic. Basically another fairly obvious lesson it takes Aang absolutely sodding ages to learn. The art was amazing as ever, though! ...more
Maggie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of the ATLA comics, but certainly worth reading.
Katie
Still really enjoying these, the continued discussion around the difficulty of building a new society and recovering from war is very interesting to me.
Raquel Castro
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
avatar really said fuck capitalism
Rachel
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The best of the series so far!

Order of Enjoyment:
The Rift (#3)
The Search (#2)
The Promise (#1)

Religion
Avatar Yengchen appears to Aang, and he believes it's a sign to revive some Air Nomad holidays. I liked the dialogue between Toph and Aang about the merits of holding on to a religion and traditions from a different era. I generally agree with Toph that it's okay for cultures and societies to evolve. Just because something used to belong to a culture, doesn't mean we need to keep those pract
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is probably my least favorite of the comic storylines so far but Toph is my hero.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Overall an pretty enjoyable graphic novel and story that explores the clash between technology and nature in this world of spirits.
maddison
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
hi I freaking love toph
Amber
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This has definitely been my favorite arc so far. I’m so glad we are getting past the stuff they HAVE to wrap up from the original series or set up for (the awful) Korra. Now we can start getting into some interesting Avatar stories without these constraints! You can tell The Rift had far fewer limitations like this, so it could just focus on telling a good Avatar story. Boy, did it succeed.

I thought the conflict between Aang and Toph was mostly well done and made sense for their characters. Aang

• Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars (The Legend of Korra, #1)
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender Imbalance Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender Team Avatar Tales Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender The Lost Adventures Comics Book Nickelodeon Avatar
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Lost Pets (Free Comic Book Day 2018)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy
  • Imbalance, Part 3 (Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy of The Fire Nation
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (6 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)