Start by marking “A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz

A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz

This shattering memoir by a journalist about his father’s attempt to survive the aftermath of Auschwitz in a small industrial town in Sweden won the prestigious August Prize
On August 2, 1947 a young man gets off a train in a small Swedish town to begin his life anew. Having endured the ghetto of Lodz, the death camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau, the slave camps and transports dur
Published February 24th 2015 by Other Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz

Dianne
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2015
I read “A Brief Stop on the Road From Auschwitz” immediately following “The Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah, so I thought I was prepared for another story about the horrors of World War II. This book, though……it is incredibly powerful. When I read the last three sentences, the little hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I had goosebumps all over my body. I was transformed. I did not see the end of this book coming, but I should have. I should have.

This book is a memoir; a son reconstructing and
Cindy Knoke
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So incredibly brilliant, it defies description. You should read it.
Linda
”A short stop on the road from Auschwitz”, in English.

Rosenberg claims that there are many stories about how people ended up in the concentration camps, all more or less resembling each other. There are less stories about the way out, and every way out is a unique story. What happens when confronted with the real world again? What thoughts and emotions are going to form the new life? And what happens when the bridge to the past is being forgotten by the world?

Rosenberg's parents survived the ghe
Pete daPixie
I am not going to claim any wide knowledge of books written on the subject of the Jewish holocaust and the horrors perpetrated by the Nazi machine during WWII, but I should imagine that Goran Rosenberg's 'A Brief Stop On The Road From Auschwitz' is a unique work in this genre.
First published in Sweden in 2012 and translated into English two years later, here is a tragic family memoir that affirms that there was nothing final about the final solution, but that for many of the survivors and their
Pamela
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a haunting exploration of the Auschwitz legacy — how it crushes long after the gas chambers are shut down. In "A Brief Stop on the Road From Auschwitz," Swedish author Goran Rosenberg masterfully retraces the struggle of his father to rebuild a completely shattered life after surviving Nazi slave labor and death camps, including the infamous Auschwitz. Goran Rosenberg has wrought, from the second-generation perspective, a book that overwhelms.
This book has a power that is reminiscent of
Anders
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jag blir alltid så känslomässigt berörd av allt som rör förintelsen. Och jag fasar när jag tänker på vad vi människor är kapabla At utsätta varandra för. Göran Rosenberg har fångat så mycket i sin bok att jag kommer att återvända till den igen, och jag rekommenderar ALLA att läsa den. Tänk också på att någonstans pågår alltid dess hemskheter fortfarande! Reagera!!
Michelle
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Wish this was fiction as no person Should ever have to endure this torture based on religion or any other difference. Unreal story of heart wrenching hatred and true survival and the ptsd that followed.
Becky
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Holocaust and WWII memoirs and biographies, and this is by far the most unique version I've come across. Rosenberg recreates his father's steps following his liberation from a concentration camp at the end of the war. He tells the story with precision, every detail carefully researched and verified.

Using letters between his father and other members of the family, German records of Jewish prisoner transports, and newspaper archives, as well as probing the memories and research
Joseph Sverker
Ett kort uppehåll på vägen från Auschwitz kan mycket väl vara unik då den på många sätt, förstås, visar på det hemska med Auschwitz, men den visar på hur en traumatisk upplevelse gnager och skaver inne i en människa för att till slut förstöra dennes liv. Rosenberg visar hur Auschwitz kan vara plågande likt tortyr, men också hur förintelsen är en cancer som kan ta år och decennier innan den dödar en människa inifrån, även om nu orsaken till döden var extern.

Rosenberg fångar även mycket av Sverige
Minty McBunny
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, april-2015
I very nearly stopped reading this, the narrative voice was very awkward and distracted a great deal from the story. I pressed on only due to my interest in the subject matter. Sadly, the author's attempt to distance himself from the (very personal) story of his father's post-Auschwitz life and to tell the story from a purely objective standpoint made his story so dispassionate that it was nearly impossible for me to care or invest any of my own emotions into what I think could have been a power ...more
Lorri
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four-stars on goodreads denotes 'I really liked it'. I give the book four-stars, but didn't really like it, in the sense that I found it an enjoyable read.

Enjoyable, no, as there is nothing enjoyable reading about the Holocaust years for the author's parents, in particular his father. There is nothing enjoyable reading about his father's struggle to survive, after liberation, and the effects that the Holocaust imprinted upon his psyche.

That Goran Rosenberg chose to honor his father's life, and c
Michele Weiner
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A look at Auschwitz survivors from the vantage point of their child. I often find it difficult to adjust to the cadence of books by foreign authors, and this one started out pretty muddled for me, but it settled down finally and told the story. It is written by the son of two fortunate Auschwitz survivors. They had been forced by the Nazis into a ghetto in Lodz, Poland. There they lived under Nazi rule, with a Jewish mayor who bargained with the Nazis to spare lives, but who ultimately had no ch ...more
Axel Wilson Nydén
A very weak 3 stars. Mycket svag trea

Som jag redan konstaterat är facklitteratur svårrecenserad. Det här är en slags biografi över Rosenbergs far (och mor) som båda överlevde Auschwitz II (Birkenau), och deras osannolika historia. Boken är läsvärd som ett dokument över Förintelsen, som aldrig får glömmas. Men Rosenbergs skrivteknik är förvillande. Boken är skriven i andra person – du-form – riktad mot Rosenbergs far, David. Ett ovanligt och svårmanövrerat grepp, men här lyckas det. Rosenberg ve
Tricia
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book as a First Reads Give-away. Goran Rosenberg beautifully and poignantly wrote of his mother's and father's journey from Auschwitz. While some of the story showed their journey to the Nazi concentration camp and their lives, as well as other lives, in Auschwitz, Mr. Rosenberg took us on an expedition through the seldom told recovery of life after Auschwitz.
Goran himself is a legacy of life after such extreme death and depravity. His parents triumphed by the mere fact that they mov
Susan
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holocaust
A terribly sad book, as I expected - but so much more. As the author states, less has been written abut life after the concentration camp than life in the camps, or even before the camps. Although I consider myself to be well informed, there was a lot I didn't know about when different ghettos were annihilated, the number of camp inmates who became slave laborers at the very end of the war - or the fact that some were sent to Sweden to "recover" and then sent on their way. Obviously, the author' ...more
Carra
No words can describe how touched I was by this loving memoir of a father, a survival of the horrors of Auschwitz trying to build a new life in Sweden, haunted by "the shadows" (as Rosenberg calls it) of his past. But how to build a future when there is literally no past (home, family, history) left to call your own to build upon?

"I believe that homelessness is an underestimated hell for people like you. Homelessness and the confusion of languages. One is linked to the other. Being at home is t
Svandis Falkelund
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jag gillade denna bok, den visar hur samhället inte var redo att ta emot utlänningar.
Och känslan att börja ett nytt liv i ett nytt land, med inget nätverk, hemska upplevelser i bagaget... och själva överlevnaden ger inte den själsliga näringen i längden. Något som man kan glömma när man tänker på krigsoffer. Alla människor har drömmar och vill uppnå något. Även krigsoffer.

Saknade dock kritiken på svenskt samhälle/politiken. Men denna bok bör läsas som en roman. En bra sådan!
John Hatley
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tragic, sad, beautiful book. As soon as it is available in English, German or another language accessible to my non-Swedish-speaking friends, I highly recommend that you read it. My Swedish-speaking friends can read it now! The title in English, roughly (my translation) "A brief stop on the way from Auschwitz".
Aninha
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bijzonder indrukwekkend boek, vooral ook door de stijl. Het spel met woorden door overheden is akelig: vluchtelingen, transmigranten, repatrianten, ontheemden of statelozen. Uiteindelijk kan zijn vader de stap van overleven naar voortleven niet zetten.
Jane
Mar 25, 2015 added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I have to admit I found this very difficult. In my opinion, it was turgid and ultimately frustrating. I lost interest in what was likely a compelling story because of my flagging energy to discover wherever it was the author was going. Not fair to rate it, as I could not finish it.
Marta Ávila
This book is a rather unique work in this genre - however it failed to keep my interest as the story rambles on and jumps from subject to subject, more often than not becoming very not emotional, even almost technical at times, considering the topic it covers.
Daniel Westman
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The author takes on the role as a detective and follows in his father's footsteps from Auschwitz to a Swedish idyll using a thorough research that reveals a dark history. Very touching and gripping.
Sandy
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goran Rosenberg takes you on his father's journey from the ghetto in Lodz to Auschwitz to the slave factories and finally to his "brief stop" in Sweden. It isn't until the final pages that I understand that this memoir is Mr. Rosenberg's endeavor to understand his father's life as a Survivor. "You haven't fled, you haven't migrated, so you're not refugees or immigrants." "There is no ready made category for you." In a sense you are "ship wrecked".

Many things stand out for me in this book. In
Darcy Cudmore
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an emotional journey, told by the son of an Auschwitz survivor.

From being ripped from his family and his home, to the journey to and from a horrible place during the early 1940s, to life after returning from Hell - this story covers it all and does it excellently. The writing is creative and gripping and, most of all, it is REAL.

I can't even imagine living such a life, but through the words of Goran, I feel some of the emotion and heartbreak and fear that was obviously so prevalent in that
Agnes Franczia
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different from anything you may have ever read about Auschwitz.
Because it is not about Auschwitz, not directly, anyway.

Part of this book focused on the psychological impacts the whole disaster caused to the survivors which is rarely seen in books about this subject.
Some parts were a little slower, I admit, but all in all, it made you really think about antisemitism and hatred felt by the Jews not only due to the behavior of the Nazis but also their own countrymen.
For me, the main question was: H
Okidoki
Jag citerar Mikael van Reis i Svd: " ... denna energiskt spårsökande och noggrant sammanfogade bok som är som hybriden av roman och resa, barndomsskildring och kärleksberättelse - och som framför allt är en sorgesam undersökning."
- Vad än Augustjuryn påstår så är detta sakprosa och inte skönlitteratur. Berättelsen är frustrerande i sin sammansättning och ofullkomlighet och just detta bidrar till att författarens sorg blir så tydlig utan att direkt uttalas. Jag läste bara början (väldigt mycket
Lisa Frankel
"...and no one yet knows that whole family trees can be chopped down and whole worlds liquidated."
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I've never read a book about the Holocaust that goes into the aftermath for the survivors, and that was eye opening. So many numbers were thrown out in this book, almost nonchalantly, and I had to go back and reread them to let them really sink in. His journey was incredible and sad.

That being said, I don't like how the story was narrated. It skipped around
Dianne
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mike
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
My rating is a lie. I didn't "really like" this book. It's a powerful book well worth the read. The subject matter is too important not to read, but too awful to enjoy. You continue turning the pages not because you like it but because you care--even as the book heads its near-inevitable conclusion.
Goodreads Librari...: Correct cover for paperback 3 163 Oct 06, 2013 07:50AM
  • Vägen mot bålberget
  • 1941: The Year That Keeps Returning
  • Who Will Write Our History?: Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • The Diary of Mary Berg: Growing up in the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Barn av sin stad (Stadserien, #2)
  • The Emperor of Lies
  • Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One's Land
  • Resistance: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
  • Och i Wienerwald står träden kvar
  • Korparna
  • En storm kom från paradiset
  • Lasermannen: En berättelse om Sverige
  • The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice
  • Det här är hjärtat
  • Liv till varje pris (Maj, #3)
  • Expeditionen: Min kärlekshistoria
  • Viskleken (Opcop, #1)
  • Reading Claudius: A Memoir in Two Parts
Göran Jakob Rosenberg is a Swedish journalist and author. He is the son of David and Hala Rosenberg from Łódz in Poland, who both came to Sweden after having survived concentration camps during World War II.
Rosenberg has worked at Sveriges Radio and Sveriges Television; 1979–85 he was host and reporter of the actuality-program Magasinet. In 1990 he founded the magazine Moderna Tider which he was e