Start by marking “Constantine, Volume 3: The Voice in the Fire” as Want to Read:
Constantine, Volume 3: The Voice in the Fire

Constantine, Volume 3: The Voice in the Fire

(Constantine (2013) #3)

Lost and confused in the face of the fallout from his actions in Forever Evil: Blight, John Constantine has sold himself out to the Cold Flame and is vulnerable to attack by Spellbinder! How will DCU's con man deal with the repercussions of this universe changing event? Written by Eisner Award-nominee Ray Fawkes, John Constantine continues his reemergence as DC Comics' ...more
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published February 24th 2015 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Constantine, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constantine, Volume 3

Start your review of Constantine, Volume 3: The Voice in the Fire
Anne

I asked my husband if he knew who Constantine was. He said, no.
Therefore, I'm counting him as a B-Lister.
In all fairness to this character, he also didn't know who the Flash was till I started forcing him to watch the show with me.
And he still thinks he's a Marvel character! Bless his heart.
So. *shrugs*

description

My library didn't have volume 2, so I don't know what the hell happened to bring us to this point in the story. More than likely, it wouldn't have mattered if I'd read it, though.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I still find the writing in these books confusing, but the stories kept my interest more than Blight, and I wasn't quite as lost. Constantine encounters some real characters in the magical underworld, which I always find fun in a rubbernecker sort of way.

Each story seemed better to me, and the Doctor Fate story packs a pretty good punch. Perhaps this series is finding its feet. I've been watching the NBC Constantine series on DVR, and it's a nice combo to do it this way. I definitely hold a
Joseph
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the third volume of the New 52's Constantine. It's a very uneven mess, to be honest.

I don't have a problem with this John Constantine basically being a magic-based super-hero. I think it sucks it comes at the expense of the mature and insightful Hellblazer Constantine, but it is what it is. Personally, I love the magic based heroes. I always have. But let's be honest: most comic book mages use what essentially comes down to magical deus ex machinas to defeat the antagonists. It takes a
Milo (BOK)
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, hellblazer
Read this as single issues and whilst Constantine may be no Hellblazer (I have filed this under the Hellblazer shelf for convenience purposes), the book continues to be pretty entertaining. The mostly done-in-one stories are pretty solid and Fawkes' Constantine is relatively strong as well. Whilst it's dissapointing to see John get dragged into the mess that is World's End in #18, it does allow the potential to see Constantine meet his Earth 2 counterpart, which should certainly be interesting ...more
Devann
I mean ...it was great that it wasn't just a bunch of random crossover stuff they crammed together and called a volume *cough*lastvolume*cough* but also I didn't really care about anything that was happening soooo ??? Honestly if I had read this several months ago I think it would have gotten a 3 star rating, but I think I'm just slowly burning out on Constantine stuff - both old and new - so maybe I need to try to take a break or something.
Sean Kennedy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I love the character of John Constantine, but damn are these stories all over the place.
Gavin
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
OK well it's better than the last one story-wise, but there's a glaring problem in that there was a huge Cliffhanger that didn't get resolved at the end of the last volume...the start of this volume is the very next issue...I fucking HATE crossovers where they get to the point that you can't go from issue to issue without doing research.

This isn't the way to get me hooked. He's supposed to be with Zatanna, to make him better as a person, yet we don't see her at all. He's just working to turn
Khalisa ♥
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Shawn
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
After the abomination that was vol 2, vol 3 was actually halfway decent.
Devon H.
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Did I miss something? The ending to Vol. 2 did not pick up here or anywhere else in this volume. Ugh.

Good story stuff, though. Except for the superheroes. Still feels very false.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Constantine #13-17 and Constantine: Futures End #1 (June 2014-November 2014). John Constantine is an unwilling servant of the Cult of the Cold Flame. While working as their agent, John is trying to find a way to work out from under their thumb. With Mister E as his prisoner in the Moonblade, Constantine has a plan…but he could end up taking the strangest trip of his life.

Written by Ray Fawkes, Constantine Volume 3: The Voice in the Fire follows-up Constantine Volume 2: Blight. The
Aaron
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Finally Constantine gets a rest from Crossover Mania, having spent the previous, I don't know, 200 years fighting Blight in the Forever Evil spin-off. Now he's back on his own mission, combatting the Cult of the Cold Flame, in what often feels like a decent comic book, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how little it actually works.

This book is structured almost like a heist movie. Constantine, having been forced to join the Cold Flame, is now trying to combat them from within,
Sami Diaz
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don’t know why I’m still reading New 52 back issues since everyone’s long since disavowed it and they have pretty much no bearing on Rebirth. After this, I think I’m calling it a day. This issue in particular sees the retcon of John’s past - instead of his mother dying in childbirth and his father being a no account alcoholic criminal, John seemed to be a perfectly normal kid who was somehow led astray by a magician and forced to kill both of his parents in exchange for power. Further we have ...more
Beelzefuzz
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Finally this book is good. I am not sure if the stink of all the crossovers in previous volumes has made this appear better than it is, but I had great fun and did not feel confused or like I needed to read 4 other books to understand the story at any time herein. Based on the tease for next time though, it seems to be going right back into the cross-over crapper.
Chad
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just read this and couldn't tell you what happened besides "magic stuff". They've completely lost the essence of the Vertigo character with this series. John Constantine is a conman who knows a bit of magic. None of the characters have any motivations besides "I'm evil". The only decent story was the Future's End issue. It was actually the only Future's End story I've even liked. Unlike the other issues in this collection, it actually told a story.
Stephanie :}
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I still wouldn't say this series is good, but this volume is at least better than the first two. The story is much easier to follow (after the crossover nightmare that was Blight) and is actually interesting.
Robert Hudder
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I lost the thread of the story and so much seemed like evil lairs and double crosses and the like. Not my cup of tea. Not looking for a superhero comic or some type of cosmic magic clone war... Nope. I'll read the last one in the series but I am glad this one didn't make it out.
Julien V
Slightly better than previous volume, still haphazard and confusing. Story jumps about, and doesn't make you care at all about these superheroes and super villains. Everything feels arbitrary.

Ah, where's the Hellblazer i used to love?
Robert
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Constantine story, though elements felt as though they were suddenly added in.
Some interesting aspects of the character were examined.
Bryson McCheeseburger
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. The New 52 Constantine is pretty slow and not very interesting. The last issue didn't do much for me, and I was hoping this would pick up, but alas, it didn't. Until I get my hands on some of the original stuff, I think I'm pretty much done with Constantine.
Fred
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
each issue was decent but there was no cohesion. again.
Wing Kee
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Another turd.

World: The colors in the art is great but it's too busy you lose what the heck is going on. The world building is spotty and motivations are basic.

Story: I'm sorry but the story is just choppy and poorly written. The motivations are poor and the framing and scene jumps are annoying. Just bad.

Characters: This is not John, this is not how he is and the people around him in the book have barely understandable motivations.

Just poor. One more trade and I can leave this shit of a
Jacqueline O.
Sylvester Kuo
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Constatine goes around the globe to battle evil, it's pretty bad that they are running out of ideas for this series. Constantine also participated in Future's end by wearing Doctor Fate's helmet but nothing really changed... The stories were disappointing but the artwork was pretty good.
Cale
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This is basically a series of one-to-two issue shorts as Constantine makes his way through various ... 'mini-bosses' you could basically call them. There's a haunted house, werewolves, a mind reader, and more. John is battling them, supposedly as part of his work for the Order of the Cold Flame, but he may have ulterior motives. The artwork is impressive, very surreal and well done in conveying magic in very different forms (the Asian influenced story especially stood out). The stories aren't ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this third volume, it feels like Fawkes finally has a good handle on how to produce an interesting mystical comic. Mind you, it's not classic Hellblazer. There's too much flash, too much lightning and thunder. But it's still a decent comic, more in the (good) Dr. Strange vein of things —except, it's a Strange who's also a trickster, supplementing his magic bolts with tricks and traps.

The plotline about Constantine undermining the Cult of the Cold Flame flails in a bunch of weird directions.
Brini
I've read Forever Evil: Blight before I started this Constantine volume but I didn't know I need to read a volume of Pandora as well to get what's happening. Since I started reading comic books, I learned that there are always other comic volumes you need to read to get the bigger picture but this Constantine comic really annoyed me. You don't understand a single thing on its own. I was lucky to have read the Blight storyline to get the Zatanna plot— which is outrageous, I mean forcing someone ...more
Charlos
I miss Hellblazer. Gone is the uncertainty of whether John will scrape out of things or not. The New 52 version always will make it out okay, regardless of the situation, stare down God because he hapens to have the discarded gum wrapper of Saint Ipecac. Granted, he was doing that in Vertigo too, but there was a sense of consequence and depth of field that just doesn't exist as he is folded into the DCU. This is fine when he is doing a guest appearance in another title, but when that is carried ...more
Adam Fisher
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Another outing from Constantine. Not really much to say. Story was ok and the plot flowed fine. As always, the art is really good and fits the story well. One spoilerish question (only because I just read that book's Volume) is Constantine on Earth 2?

Neither recommend or not. Read if you like the character.
Anchorpete
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
At this point, Fawkes handling of Constantine is so good, that I feel like he is the character from the Vertigo books. I believe this is the John Constantine I know and love, who is no longer able to live in London. I am hoping that Simon Oliver is able to do half as good a job, when this book is rebooted, soon.

• Constantine: The Hellblazer, Volume 1: Going Down
  • Batman: Damned
  • Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger, Vol. 3: The Crack in Creation
  • All-Star Batman, Volume 3: The First Ally
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • Comment les paradis fiscaux ont ruiné mon petit-déjeuner
  • Brüsel (Les Cités obscures, #5)
Ray Fawkes is the critically-acclaimed author of the comics and graphic novels Underwinter, Intersect, One Soul, The People Inside, The Spectral Engine, Possessions, and Junction True, as well as Batman: Eternal, Constantine, Justice League Dark, and Gotham by Midnight (DC), Wolverines (Marvel), Black Hammer '45 (Dark Horse), Jackpot! (AfterShock) and more. He is an Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster ...more

Constantine (2013) (4 books)
  • Constantine, Volume 1: The Spark and the Flame