Start by marking “Damian: Son of Batman” as Want to Read:
Damian: Son of Batman

Damian: Son of Batman

(Damian: Son of Batman #1-4)

Damian Wayne, the son of Batman, has adopted the cape and cowl as his own...but what horrific events set this troubled hero on the path of his dark destiny? It's a possible future that may never be in this epic written and drawn by Damian co-creators, Andy Kubert! Plus, in a tale written by Grant Morrison, Damian Wayne is the Batman of Tomorrow in a story set 15 years from ...more
Published February 24th 2015 by DC Comics (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Damian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damian

Anne
After read a few pages:
Huh. This isn't so bad. Wonder why the ratings are so low?
After a few more pages:
Ok. Not great, but I'm still interested.
And then:
*squints...shakes head...squints again*
Is that a goddamn Talking Cat?!

Oh yeah. It was.
Just...kinda started talking for no real good reason.
Well, there was a reason, I guess. It just wasn't a very good one.

Warning: Potential Spoilers Ahead

Whew. This was an Epic Stinker. It was one of those stories that started out ok, and then rapidly devolved i
Gianfranco Mancini

Storyline: ☆
Artworks: ☆☆☆☆☆

Awesome artworks in this prequel to Grant Morrison's Batman #666, but Andy Kubert is just not good as author as he's good as artist.
And the "Cat-Alfred" was really too much weird!

Chad
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art was fantastic. The story had a few bits I found confusing because of plot holes but it's worth it for Andy Kubert's art alone. It's beautiful.
Sam Quixote
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Soooooooo... this happened. Andy Kubert revisits the alternate Damian as Batman of the future storyline from Grant Morrison's Batman #666 and Batman Incorporated #5 - crucially, without Morrison - and makes a pig's ear of it. In just four issues, he creates an absolutely near-unreadable story of remarkable stupidity.

It was so bad I had to write an article about it. You can read it here: 10 Reasons Why Damian Son of Batman Was An Absolute Mess
Donovan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
Well, the bad reviews are totally justified.

Having read Grant Morrison’s Batman run in its entirety, I know Damian Wayne pretty well. And Andy Kubert should know how to write Damian’s dialog better, especially considering he illustrated a good portion of that run. Kubert has always been a better illustrator and this is no exception. The dialog feels off, Damian’s characterization is unsettled (he just can’t decide between killing and not killing), and there’s no real story to the main arc. He’s
Quentin Wallace
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This one was a mixed bag. First off, the art was gorgeous, even if it did get a little confusing at times. Great coloring as well.

Now, the story did leave something to be desired. I'm assuming this is an Elseworlds tale, where we see an alternative future. Damian has to take over the mantle of the bat after the death of Batman. He becomes as much The Punisher as Batman, killing several villains. He softens his views, at least to a point, but still uses lethal force in certain situations.

Now, for
'kris Pung
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ouch this one was bad, I mean really, really bad which I knew going in but it didn't lessen the blow of reading this garbage. If you’re thinking about reading this mess take my advice and stay away it’s just not worth the self inflicted torture.
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I am putting my love for Damian Wayne aside to write this review. I honestly don't know what to say about this book. I think that I am disappointed? Maybe? If this wasn't so damn confusing, it might have been okay. The timeline continuity is so disjointed that I found myself looking back at previous parts just to get a feel for when things were taking place. There were some real "WTF" moments in this as well. Like a talking cat, a strange priest, a ghost killing himself.....just so much weird sh ...more
Anna
Jul 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If this is what I have to look forward to from DC, I think I'll stick with Dark Horse and Diamond Book Distributors for my NetGalley requests. What a non-sensical, horrific mess that totally doesn't even deserve to have the name Batman stamped on it. The artwork was boring, the plot was thin, overly violent (why does he have to kill EVERYONE???) and what the heck was with the Alfred-cat???!!! No thanks. Just no, freaking thanks at all.

VERDICT: 1/5 Stars (lower if I could)

**I received this book f
Logan
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a good read! By the looks of things not many people enjoyed this; I guess this is my guilty pleasure then! The Story is Bruce Wayne is "dead" and Damain must take the mantle of The Bat! He of course starts guns blazing! This story was the only time where I liked Damains moral complex of Killing or Saving/Ras's way or batmans way; usually it annoys the hell out of me! Plus the art was excellent! Overall a great read!
Relstuart
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super-hero
Kubert's art saves this from getting the one star the writing deserves. There has to be more, right? So many plot holes, well, not holes, as much as just missing parts of the story so you have no idea what is going on. A great else worlds idea that could have been really interesting failed to live up to its potential.
Robert
How disgustingly deceptive to label this as "new 52" when it all takes place (as far as anyone can tell) in alternate timelines or the future or parallel dimensions or who the hell cares.

Avoid like the plague.
Alya AlShaibani
wow, didn't know anything in the batman universe could suck this much...
Dan
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice what if story. What if Dick had died instead of Damian? New Batman and new villains.
Ben Truong
Damian: Son of Batman is a limited series published by DC Comics and stars an older Damian Wayne as Robin as he takes the mantle of Batman. Damian: Son of Batman collects all four issues of the 2013 limited series. This deluxe edition includes Batman #666 on which the limited series was based on.

Set in the Batman in Bethlehem universe, it shows the journey of Damian Wayne as Robin as he takes on the mantle of Batman, when Dick Grayson as Batman dies in the line of duty, and to find his brother's
Cale
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is 1 1/2 stars, rounded up. Andy Kubert the artist is impressive, with detail environment and character work all being very impressive (and the color work was also very good). But Andy Kubert the writer is... not good. The entire plot of this is that Damian is seeking vengeance while also trying to deserve the mantle of the bat. So he goes out and kills people. And then regrets it. There's a random heart attack, a talking cat, a nurse with a weird twang and inappropriate innuendo towards a ...more
Eve
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley.com for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The artwork and coloring are first rate, yet the story is what causes this book to get a one star rating. The start is interesting enough with a surprise death, getting my hopes up for future twists. Unfortunately, the storyline went downhill shortly after the beginning. With contradictory characterizations and just out-and-out bizarre additions, I would never suggest this graphic novel to any Batman series fan or anyo
Ashleigh
Read as digital ARC.

This was a weird one. I was kind of confused because I read this right after Batman and Robin, Vol. 4: Requiem for Damian and as an alternate reality story, I expected everything to match up. Nope. Damian's grown up since he died. And the Batman you know isn't Batman... And then a Batman
gets a hideous new Batman costume... It's a lot of, "Uh...What are you doing?"

For instance, Bruce Wayne is super different from any versions, in action--not in appearance. Like to the point t
John
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The very definition of of a mixed-bag. This is essentially an Elseworlds future Robin story with jaw-droppingly beautiful art and some intriguing concepts which is thrown off the rails by some muddled and often kooky story points. I loved the trench-coated Batman and the atmosphere of the story but certain things are just too weird or out of left field. The talking cat? WTF? And the bits with priest and the Joker? Huh? Having said this, the book is gorgeous, fast-moving and refreshingly weird en ...more
John
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is basically a what if novel.It works in some parts not so much in others.I enjoyed the action sequences and artwork but the story lost me in spots especially when things got really weird.Clearly not one of the best Batman efforts but still worth reading.
Ryan Stewart
Simply put, this is an abomination.
Brennan
story is 2 stars, art pushed it up to 3 because there were some really gorgeous panels that'll make me reread it so i can appreciate them more
Jordan Anderson
I really wanted to like this one. Good concept, the (almost) lack of stupid Grant Morrison, and a reboot with the New 52 line, gave me hope that Damian, Son of Batman would wash the sour taste of Morrison’s Batman and Son shitfest our of my mouth.

Clearly, that didn’t happen.

Obviously this is a far better product than the previously mentioned Batman and Son (which really goes to show just how awful that entire storyline/collection really was), but even then, Damian is, unfortunately, a mess.

The
Leandro Raimundo
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Will Cooper
Eh, very dumb story. Damian thinks Batman is killed so he takes up the mantle of Batman but he's acting like Badassman because he wrestles with killing. I feel like this theme is dealt with better in other stories.

Who the bad guy is is very convoluted.

Also, a weird priest does a weird thing and it's never revisited.

Don't forget about the talking cat for no reason.

Anyway, I like the art.
Tony
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay... what?

Only good thing: The art. Andy Kubert does not disappoint in that area.

BUT...

- That Joker impostor, are you serious?
- The priest. It could have been a nice plot twist but ended up being very, very pointless.
- How Damian looked adolescent to adult in just an issue of difference?
- So that was not Bruce Wayne?
- WTF WITH THAT TALKING CAT, ARE WE EVEN SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?!!?!
Sherrelle
Oct 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman-dceu
Tootah
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
+ more damian wayne, pennyworth, bruce
- morrison acting like bruce and talia weren't legitimately in love with each other
- that weird eugenics shit that bruce and talia would definitely never do
- morrison acting like bruce wasn't and isn't still literally out here ADOPTING EVERYONE...

in conclusion, fuck you grant morrison
Nicolas
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This went off the rails. It had a promising start. I think I would have preferred to see an adult Robin rather than just another protege becomes Batman thing. Also, I assume they must have been planning for more because this goes nowhere.
CavemanB-Man
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wanted to see a creator spit in the face of everything a character stands for, look not further. Andy Kubert doesn't fail to get almost every aspect of Damian Waynes character completely wrong, alienating any Damian fans who decide to pick up this trash.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Green Lantern Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow
  • Absolute Superman/Batman, Vol. 1
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 2: Dead Will Rise
  • Batman: Murder at Wayne Manor: An Interactive Mystery (Interactive Mysteries)
  • Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 4: The Wrath
  • Teen Titans, Volume 1: It's Our Right to Fight
Andrew "Andy" Kubert is an American comic book artist, son of Joe Kubert, and brother of Adam Kubert, both of whom are also artists. He is a graduate of and an instructor of second-year classes at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, founded by his father (who also teaches there).

Damian: Son of Batman (4 books)
  • Damian: Son of Batman #1