Start by marking “I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting” as Want to Read:
I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting

I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting

A hilarious look at the eating habits of the fit and famous--from Gwyneth's goji berry and quail egg concoctions to Jackie Kennedy's baked potato and Beluga caviar regimen--Rebecca Harrington leaves no cabbage soup unstirred in her wickedly funny, wildly absurd quest to diet like the stars.

Elizabeth Taylor mixed cottage cheese and sour cream; Madonna subsisted on "sea
Published January 6th 2015 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about I'll Have What She's Having, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Have What She's Having

Start your review of I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Well that was a bit of fun!

Rebecca Harrington sort of/kind of follows the diet & exercise regimes of the rich & famous (& in some cases gullible. I would love to be the quack nutritionist earning good coin for some of the more bizarre ideas!)

Although Harrington has some odd ideas of her own (if she was serious) - self diagnosing a gluten allergy after coming off Gwyneth Paltrow's diet, for example.

The only diet I could follow long term would be Sophia Loren's - I mean it's pasta,
Dana
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it

I love reading books about dieting(not to be mistaken with diet books). As someone who has tried a lot of different styles of eating I find it amusing when other people do the same. I am always curious about fad diets, but am consistently too lazy to pursue them myself, so reading about someone doing them for me is a perfect set up.

In all seriousness though I have struggled with my weight in the past so I find books about weight very interesting, although I lean more towards weight memoirs then
Natalie Dougherty
This book had some very interesting facts and entertaining tidbits of celebrity weirdness, but I found the author’s writing a bit bland and amateur. It was a decent book for reading before bed.
Ceilidh
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hugely disappointed by the laziness of this, squandering a brilliant concept. It's basically Harrington's New York Magazine's articles lumped together with no editing or additions.

Full review available on Bibliodaze.

Erin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
ARC for review.

Really only one and a half stars....these types of books can be done well (see Julie Julia and the recent Jennifer Gwyneth Me) but this one.....I knew I was in trouble from the first chapter when she talks about her admiration of Gwyneth Paltrow and how her very favorite movie is..."A Perfect Murder". Wasn't that some horrible knock-off of "Dial M for Murder"? I'm of the firm belief that world can be divided into those who read "Goop" and sane people.

In addition, Harrington
Melissa
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a hilarious quick read perfect for secret readers of People magazine and US weekly.
Marta
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Light as souffle, and super fun, I'll have What She's Having is not without some meat. Chapters are divided by celebrities including: Gwynneth, Maddona, Liz, Jacki O and President Taft. Harrington ties a running commentary of each diet attempt with insight into that person's life. She hosts many dinner parties in which she foists her current meal plan ( such as quail, haggis or brown rice with kale and lentils..) onto her friends.
The person per chapter format makes it a wonderful book for
Sonia
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Funny but reading them all in a book got a bit tiresome. I can see why it works better as a column.
Lauren
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I suppose I should be thankful that this filled up the empty minutes while I was waiting for the dentist, but I am mostly not: Harrington can clearly write, but this is trite, repetitive fluff. I have a weakness for those "I put myself through ridiculous, artificial situations/constraints" books--thanks, AJ Jacobs--but, appropriately enough for a book about dieting, this is way too light and insubstantial.
Belinda
The hardest line for me to write of a review is the first. Always, every time, I struggle to find the right words to capture the essence of the capture of the book I am trying to express. So, week after week, I open my review explaining how I got to be reading a particular book...

This week is no different. I found the author Rebecca Harrington through her hilarious series in NY Mag in which she trials the different almost always crazy diets of the stars. It's got everything - bizarre mixes of
Cindy Roesel
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Happy New Year! Who's starting 2015 off with a diet? EVERYONE, right? Well, you might want to check out one of these fabulous celebrity diets that Rebecca Harrington serves up in I'LL HAVE WHAT SHE'S HAVING: My Adventures In Celebrity Dieting (VintageAnchor). Rebecca tries out the diets of fourteen celebrities, so you can pick what you think will work best for you. Just so you know, Rebecca is quite the funny one and writes the most clever anecdotes, so this whole thing is lots of fun. You'll be ...more
Cindi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Rebecca is a talented writer with clear prose and a sense of humor, which makes this book all the more disappointing. I'm all for breezy beach reads, but when discussing eating habits and celebrity diets, the author completely abdicates her responsibilities to vulnerable readers, not to mention her critical thinking abilities. This book could be seriously dangerous for anybody with an eating disorder. It should be marked with a pro-ana trigger warning. Furthermore, she left so much potential on ...more
Katie
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food, memoirs
I would give this five stars for writing style, but only three for content. Was it a life changing memoir or reflection on food and dieting throughout time? Absolutely not. But it was a witty and quirky fast read that made me giggle. So, points for that. (Points people, not review stars.)

Chronicling and following(ish) the diets of 15(ish) celebrities couldn't have been easy. Following some of their lifestyle tips at the same time, well that maybe made it easier? Or harder, depending on said tip.
Libby
Feb 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
To be fair, I should say that at 58, I am probably 45 years too old for this book, written by a 29-year old who (incorrectly) uses "literally" at least eight times in this slim, slight book. There are also several "awesomes," many exclamation points, and unapologetic worship of Gwyneth Paltrow's nutrition advice and the memoir of Posh Spice. Although the concept is interesting -- how do famous women eat? - Harrington's style struck me as more like a series of cute Facebook posts than of a book.
Drea Kreth
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the anecdotes of the celebrity whom's diet she was trying at the time; I had one big problem with this book. In my opinion, trying a diet for 3-10 days (Mostly, she did the diet for 3 days), is not trying a diet. Of course you are not losing any weight, you are not even trying. Quick read though if you need something to read while in a waiting room or on the train to work.
Mona Nomura
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
This was Harrington's NY Mag articles printed and bound word for word. Shame on Penguin/Random House for publishing this lazy excuse of a "book". What a waste of paper.
Gaby
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
people who don't like this book are probably really boring
Kate
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
In my late teens, my rowing crew decided to go lightweight. It was my introduction to the TJ Miracle Diet. Also known as the cabbage soup diet. Also known as the Dolly Parton diet. I don't know how successful cabbage soup was for Dolly but for me, during regatta weeks, the diet worked alarmingly well (like 3-5kgs well). I'm quite sure that within twelve months I had done irreparable damage to my metabolism.My crew never had any success in the lightweight division.

Any time I see the details of
Beth
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
I didn't dislike this book and might have given it 3 stars if the author hadn't gushed so much about Gwyneth Paltrow (I am not a fan of GP at all). The lighthearted writing style was cute and matched the concept of the book. However, this felt like a missed opportunity with its celebrity idolatry and the let's give them a break because it's hard to be in the spotlight assertion. Often these diets are harmful and celebrities are looked to as experts in health and fitness. The author concedes that ...more
Lauren
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
3.5: This was surprisingly fun!! Rebecca Harrington tries a dozen celebrity diets/eating habits. I enjoyed the great descriptions of all the funky foods she encountered in her trials. That said, this was only 150 pages and way too brief to be an entire book. Perhaps a blog or article series would have been more appropriate.
Amy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light read-funny and interesting. The author attempts many diets, most of older movie stars, and wow, do many of the diets sound terrible! I didn’t take away much of anything in terms of dieting or eating healthy, but interesting!
Mary
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm mostly just sad that this wasn't longer.
Madeline
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audiobook. Read by the author.

Considering I am always hunting down the perfect diet, this was right up my alley.

She’s entertaining and has a cute personality.
Mirielle Sanford
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
fast read a good laugh
Marilee
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick and entertaining read.
IOANA STAN
I opened my best friend's Christmas Gift on New Year's Eve, after coming home from the party. It was so hilarious I couldn't put it down to rest. I find it refreshing since it is something I don't usually read. I thank my friend for her humor.

Recommend to those in need of a laugh.
Marcee Feddersen
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it

They say......A hilarious look at the eating habits of the skinny and famous--from Gwyneth's goji berry and quail egg concoctions to Jackie Kennedy's baked potato and Beluga caviar regimen--Rebecca Harrington leaves no cabbage soup unstirred in her wickedly funny, wildly absurd quest to diet like the stars.
Elizabeth Taylor mixed cottage cheese and sour cream; Madonna subsisted on "sea vegetables;" and Marilyn Monroe drank raw eggs whipped with warm milk.
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
For some reason, we all seem to be fascinated by what other people eat. Of course, we're especially interested in what famous people eat, as if maybe by eating as they do, some of their fabulosity will transfer to us. And it's nothing new -- I read in Bill Bryson's book about the year 1927, One Summer, that Charles Lindbergh fans fought over his discarded chicken bones and corn cobs. It's insane.

Rebecca Harrington, a novelist in her twenties, has taken on the task of finding out what the
Katherine P
Pro: I got a good feel for what resource materials she used and what foods she actually ate. She talked about the attitude each celebrity approached their diets which was kind of fun as well as the costs associated with each diet. The short chapters would make for good reading while traveling or a good pick up book when you just want to read a few pages.

Con: This book read like a collection of articles stuck together. To me it almost felt like the book proposal instead of the actual book. She
Martha
Funny, witty, and fast-paced, I'll Have What She's Having chronicles the attempts of author Rebecca Harrington to emulate the diets of the stars, from Posh Spice to Beyonce to Elizabeth Taylor. Her attempts are by turns successful, tear-inducing and sometimes downright disgusting, but she writes about them all with a breezy humor that makes you laugh even when you're wrinkling your nose.

Whether you're a lover or a hater of celebrity diets, you'll groan along with Rebecca and laugh out loud at

• Don't Wait Up: Confessions of a Stay-at-Work Mom
  • Clean Food Diet: Avoid Processed Foods and Eat Clean with Few Simple Lifestyle Changes
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • In the Kitchen With Alain Passard
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)
  • Why You Eat What You Eat: The Science Behind Our Relationship with Food
  • Panic in a Suitcase
  • Little Weirds
  • Gay-Neck: The Story of a Pigeon
  • The Redemption of Scrooge
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • The Dukan Diet: 2 Steps to Lose the Weight, 2 Steps to Keep It Off Forever
Rebecca Harrington is a writer living in New York City.
“Back on the Hauser regime, I start the day with his notorious "pep breakfast" -- two raw eggs beaten in orange juice. Hauser describes it as a "creamy drink fit for a King's table." I do not feel the same way. This is so much worse than the raw eggs in milk that I drank for the Marilyn Monroe diet.

If pneumonia were a food, this is what it would taste like.”
1 likes