Start by marking “I Don't Want to Be a Frog” as Want to Read:
I Don't Want to Be a Frog

I Don't Want to Be a Frog

(I Don't Want to Be a Frog)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  2,103 Ratings  ·  348 Reviews
Frog wants to be anything but a slimy, wet frog. A cat, perhaps. Or a rabbit. An owl? But when a hungry wolf arrives—a wolf who HATES eating frogs—our hero decides that maybe being himself isn’t so bad after all.
Published February 10th 2015 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

Matt
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is tough being a frog! Slimy and forced to eat bugs all day, no wonder some of them wish to be other things. However, as this little frog soon learns, while he pines to be a cat, a rabbit, or even a pig, there is nothing like being a frog! Why? Well, perhaps frogs do get a bad name for themselves, but there are some distinct advantages. Read the book to see for yourself. Neo quite liked this one, noticing the contrasts between different animals and how frogs do seem to be on the tippy side of ...more
Kristi
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harper-read
we both loved this one!! what a fun read!
Evie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

A frog with an identity crisis. Imagine that!
I Don't Want To Be A Frog is about a Frog that is not particularly thrilled with who he is. Frog says: "Let me ask you something... If you could be any animal in the world, what would it be? Probably NOT a Frog, right? Exactly."

Frog would rather be a Cat. Warm and fuzzy! Or a Rabbit. Or better yet, an Owl! Even being a Pig seems like a more appealing option, even if he'd have to eat garbage. He just doesn't want to be a Frog, Frogs are wet and slimy
Mary Ann
There are times my kids seem dissatisfied with everything, but I'm also sure that there are times when all I say is NO. This hilarious book takes that situation and produces laughs in all the right places--the perfect medicine for crabby kids and peevish parents.

Little frog is sure he doesn't want to be a frog. As he sits reading a book about cats, he decides that would be the perfect animal to be. "I want to be a cat," he declares to his father. Nope, his father says, you're a frog. Back and fo
Sara Grochowski
This is the story of a frog who would rather be anything other than a wet, slimy, bug-eating amphibian. Anything — he’s sure! — would be better than being a frog. He can hop like a rabbit, and he’s sure he could stomach garbage like a pig, but one by one his alternatives are proved unsatisfactory. It isn’t until a hungry wolf with a diverse appetite comes along that frog realizes being just who he is isn’t so bad after all. Laughs and a worthwhile message about being yourself are guaranteed!
Rachel Watkins
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, picture-book
This is the greatest book ever! Little frog doesn't want to be a frog. He wants to be ANYTHING but a frog. The illustrations are stupendous and the story compelling. This is a story you'll read over and over and not mind one little bit.
Pooja
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Every now and then, I will ask myself, Oh, why not read a Children's book? And the reply comes, let's do it.

Let's be frogs and happy.
Traci
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not every child wants to be what they already are. Frog is no different. He tells his father so quite often.

He also tells his father that he does want to be a rabbit, or an owl and Father has direct reasons as to why Frog cannot be those animals.

A stranger comes along and gives little frog a new idea which he finds is not so bad after all.

A funny tale about wanting to be we cannot and finding out who we really are.

Written by Dev Petty, illustrated by Mike Boldt and published by Doubleday Books f
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fantastic children's book. This book delivers a great message and a lot of laughs.

Why be a slimy, wet, bug eating frog when you can be another animal? That's what little frog wants to know. He's tired of being a frog. He wants to be something else. Something like an wise old owl, or a warm and fuzzy cat or a rabbit. After all he can hop, and so can a rabbit. Even being a pig who eats garbage doesn't seem so bad. As little frog finds out, many of the things these animals can do, are things he
Sandra
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This frog would rather be something cute and warm like a pig or a cat. Being a frog is to wet and slimy. His father will patiently explain once and again why he can't be a bunny... or an owl...

But of course the little frog will find out by himself the advantages of being a frog. For example not being part of some frightening individual food chain!

Funny story with two adorable characters. It is completely written in dialog form, and speech bubbles are used. The pictures are attractive, colorful w
Jenna
Cute illustrations and I liked the repetitive nature. On the other hand, not sure I 100% agree with the entire theme (view spoiler) but it was adorable.
Laurie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reading
If I could give a book 10 Gold Stars, this book would have it. A great book for kids of all ages! Wonderful bright illustrations and a catchy story makes for a perfect book for storytime and read-aloud. Highly recommended.
Amy Layton
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This book is literally so cute. My third graders loved this one.
Mary
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pair this with "Wide-Mouth Frog" for a Frogs-avoiding-being-eaten storytime.
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My granddaughter pretends to be a frog each time we read this beautifully illustrated book about being yourself.
Jenny
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations and simple dialogue in this book as a young frog expresses his desire to be a cat ...or rabbit...or pig...or... and as he learns why it is good to be himself.
Earl
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young frog doesn’t want to be a frog for various reasons. While his father tries his best to explain why he can’t be the other types of animals he wishes to be, it’ll take an unlikely visitor to convince the young frog he’s lucky to be exactly who he is!
Liz
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved that it is a conversation between a boy and his father. Cute story with a good ending.
Evie
A frog with an identity crisis. Imagine that!

Kara
Opening:
"When I was younger, I enjoyed playing soccer, but in middle school, soccer games became more competitive so I started comparing myself to the other players. All I wanted was to be an amazing soccer player like Mia Hamm. Well in this story, Frog does not want to be a frog anymore. Have you ever wished you were different in some way?"
*student responses*
"Frog's going to learn a lesson about being who we really are. See if you can figure out what lesson he learns."

Identification of Opening
Margie
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I had a nickel for every parental proverb heard when growing up (and thereafter), I could fill the shelves with books in a new school library. Two of the top contenders were "Haste makes waste" and "Many hands make light work" with "The grass is always greener on the other side" coming in at a close third. When, in the course of my teaching, the opportunity presents itself when one of these might be appropriate, I seal my lips rather than succumb to any adult adages.

Arguably there are times w
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I DON'T WANT TO BE A FROG
Written by Dev Petty
Illustrated by Mike Boldt
2015, 32 Pages
Genre: picture book, children's

★★★★1/2

Frog wants to be anybody, or anything, but a frog. "You think I like always being wet and cold?" asks Frog to his father. His father asks what other animal would he be and has a ready answer for why he can't be that animal. He points out Frog is a frog and can only be a frog.

A cute story about someone wanting to be someone else and having that discussion with his father. It i
Heidi-Marie
I liked it. It wasn't the best ever. There is a lesson in being happy with who you are, but I'm not sure if that was the book's purpose. The end part had a twist in the humor. But the whole wolf showing up seemed odd. Didn't fit as a story, just as a lesson being taught. Not quite sure what the school-age kids would think of this. But it might be fun to try in storytime and see what the younger kids will think.

5/4/16 Used in O is for... theme. Had them tell me at end why. They kept pointing out
Barbara
A young frog with an identity crisis would rather be anything else but a frog. As he contemplates the joys of being a series of animals, including a cat, a rabbit or even a pig--anything but a frog--a wolf provides him with a reason to be grateful for what he is. Large, colorful illustrations show his would-be identities in a cartoonish fashion. Clearly, this humorous picture book offers the perfect platform for launching a class discussion on self-esteem, identity, and being comfortable in one' ...more
Schlow Library
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
" Little frog is sure anything would be better than being a frog – one of those wet, slimy bug-eating amphibians! He’s sure he could excel at hopping like a rabbit or maybe even eating garbage like a pig would be better. Humorous dialog between a patient father and his imaginative son is witty, clever and just plain fun! It even leaves you with the realization that it’s just fine being exactly the way you are," - Anita
Erin
Apr 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: bell, picture-books
The repeated phrases and vibrant illustrations make this one a good choice for talk. Word balloons illustrate the heated conversation between a father frog and his son when his son decides, for various reasons that being a frog isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The young frog realizes there are some good reasons to be a frog.
Karin
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic story. Not only does it explain the reasons this little frog can't be a cat, rabbit, pig, or owl, but it also has a super funny ending that makes him happy to be exactly what he is - a wet, slimy, bug-eating frog. Super cute. Also, the last page sets it up perfectly for kids to write their own "I don't want to be a ...." story.
Deborah
Sep 20, 2014 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Love this one, and imagine it would be great fun to read aloud. Perfectly hilarious writing by debut author Dev Petty, with Mike Boldt's illustrations pushing it all to the max.
Emily Scheinman
I could see this book being a favorite read aloud, especially for emergent readers. Great illustrations accompany the text.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun story about self-acceptance.
Parents Reading B...: I don't want to be a frog 7 16 Jul 26, 2015 11:37AM
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • It's Only Stanley
  • Night Animals
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Frog on a Log
  • Count the Monkeys
  • McToad Mows Tiny Island
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
Dev writes books for kids which are also often enjoyed by immature adults.

She was a senior visual effects artist in film and is now- thanks to her husband, daughters and pets, fully recovered from her chronic workaholism.

She is also good at word jumbles. Really good.

Dev was born in Berkeley, California and now lives pretty much in Berkeley, California.

I Don't Want to Be a Frog (3 books)
  • I Don't Want to Be Big