Start by marking “Mentats of Dune” as Want to Read:
Mentats of Dune

Mentats of Dune

(Dune Universe #5)

In Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Mentats of Dune, the thinking machines have been defeated but the struggle for humanity's future continues.

Gilbertus Albans has founded the Mentat School, a place where humans can learn the efficient techniques of thinking machines. But Gilbertus walks an uneasy line between his own convictions and compromises in order to survive
Published February 3rd 2015 by Tor Science Fiction (first published March 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mentats of Dune, please sign up.
Ampoliros It isn't just fan service, its fan-boy service, to use an unfortunate pejorative.

Worse, none of it cares about the actual lore, its all about…more

Worse, none of it cares about the actual lore, its all about shoehorning their creations, specifically the robot, into everything.

(less)

Start your review of Mentats of Dune
Cathy
This was a really bad book. I was very surprised. I've always enjoyed Herbert and Anderson's prequels to the original Dune books. It's varied some by series, but they've all been at least OK, some have been really enjoyable. I gave Sisterhood of Dune four stars. How did this series go from "pretty darn good" to "what the heck" so quickly?

It started off fine. I'm always stuck by the power of these archetypes, if that's the right word. I felt a bit of awe as Valya described becoming a Reverend
Ampoliros
Dec 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ludicrous Twilight of Dune

Reading this book is like going on a commando raid at night, cutting your way through a forest with flamethrowers and light-enhancing goggles. And then, when you get to your destination, using the voice to force the people who came with you to do what they willingly came with you to do.

Perhaps I should have put a SPOILER in front of that. I'll just put it here. Spoiler's ahead.

In my review for Sisterhood of Dune I gave them the 'praise' that it was the best Dune book
Clint
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune, part two of the Schools of Dune series, was a hell of a lot of fun to read.

It continues the epic story of mankind's struggle (now several decades free of the thinking machines oppression), in choosing an ideological path forward for all in the empire. On one side is Joseph Venport, and other like minded individuals, who embrace technology and all the benefits derived from it, without fear. On the other side is the Half Manford, and all of his fanatical Butlerian followers, who
Aletia
Jul 14, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting for this book for YEARS! SO excited about the Schools of Dune series/collection!!!
Jon
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Terrible literature; fun pulp fiction. Almost all of the main characters are totally psychotic.
Ralph Halse
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago, when I first read Dune, I was seriously impressed and subsequently purchased each novel in the series. Kevin Anderson has continued to honour the theme with this latest offering. It is well-written and contains a fast moving plot full of intrigue, high-quality dialogue and scenes of many dystopian worlds. Readers will be very pleased with this engrossing page turner.
Tulara
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so wonderful being back in the pre-Dune series. Loved the intrigue and power struggle for spice. Really shed some light on the internal workings of the political battles. I finished it too soon!!!
Ron Kolb
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The universe of Dune continues to expand. Bliss.
Mark
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the expanded Dune series
Recommended to Mark by: Frank Herberts Dune books
I would begin with the downside of this novel, it will take two more years for the next installment of Schools of Dune. When you come at the end of this book and that realism hits you ut will call on a feeling of frustration.

The Expanded Dune series is not all haleluja and praise LetoII, this particular series is easily their better work of monsieurs Herbert & Anderson, even better so far than the "House of.." series. The other seven novels are more hit and sadly more miss in my humble
S. W.
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When this book arrived on my kindle I didn't remember pre-ordering it. I'm so glad that past me had the prescience to foresee my absolute enjoyment of this book. I'm sure the Kwisatz Haderach would approve of my pre-order and the prescience that it required, but alas there is no mention of the human savior god in this book, just a mere hint when Reverend Mother Raquella Berto-Anirul mentions her sisterhoods great plans.

To be honest, the title of the book is misleading. It should be something
Brett Boerner
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, giveaways
I won a copy of the book via a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway.

I've read all the Dune books up to this point, so I feel like I have a pretty good feeling for the tone and setting of the stories set far into our own future. This book fits nicely into that future universe in my mind.

One of the neat things about the "Schools of Dune" sub-series is that we're getting a chance to learn about the formation of the various factions that populate the original series, and some of the prequels. The Bene
Neo Marshkga
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is better than the first one of the series, mostly because we now know the characters and their actions make more sense, but also because the plot is way more interesting. But, it also suffers from the problem of trying to be a sequel bestseller, the needless references to the previous book, characters making unnecessary exposition, long and boring mental monologues to refresh our memory.
Normally i don't care much about this, but on this book, it kinda threw me off a little bit. The
Krbo
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know why first book is named "Sisters" and this one "Mentats" - they're just two parts of the same book.

And that one book talk about everything in a Dune space, Gesserit, Space Guild, Royal family, Ix, Tleilax, Fremens...

Everything other "one star" reviwers said is true but I'm hardcore fan and just using ideas and scenery presentes to fire up my own imagination and nice memories from Frank's work so I'll give these works a 2.6 stars (it look like 3 :) )

And will also read third
Ryan
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by this book. The plot twists surprised me and left me wanting to read right into the next one.
Daniel
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune continues the post-Jihad, pre-Frank Herbert story started in previous books. In this one, despite what the title implies, it is equally about the Mentats, the Sisterhood, VenHold, the Emperor, and, oddly enough, research scientists at a VenHold black site. All of these groups of people are intertwined and act with their own agendas, often in conflict with others. There are some secondary stories, but they take place within the context of the previously mentioned main lines.

The
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I will be fair to Brian and Kevin and say that this series is definitely better than most of the other McDune books they've written. It seems that the further you go into the past, the better the books are. Hunters/Sandworms was a utter abomination that should have never been put to paper, the Heroes series was unneccessary dreck, and the House trilogy, while not a completely horrible read into itself, was unneccessary as part of the Dune series and would have been better off if it was its own ...more
Michael O'Brien
Having read Brian Herbert's first books of the "Dune" prequels which were hard to put down, I was disappointed in this book in so many ways by contrast. Given the title, I expected a book that would go into the origin and early exploits of the first Mentats ----- the human supercomputers featured in the Dune novels. Instead, it's really not about them, and, in truth, the portions of it dealing with Mentats are relatively sparse. The book jumps around annoyingly between various sub-plots dealing ...more
Rod
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune is the second book in the Schools of Dune Trilogy following on from the events of Sisterhood of Dune (Book 1). For those versed in both Frank Herbert's Duniverse you will be more than aware of the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, Suk Doctors & Navigators; those not versed in the aforementioned - youre missing so, so much.

Ive read a number of Brian & Kevin's Dune books and in the past I havent been overly impressed. Ive found a number of their books suffer with parts of stories
Clay Rylee
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frist of all, I recieved an ARC of this book in a giveaway thru Goodreads. This in no way affects my review. Mentats of Dune, the second book in the Schools of Dune series was, for me, quite an enjoyable read. The pacing was good and the action was great as well as the portrayal of the conflics between the factions involved. I only had one complaint with this book and that is the fact that you get recaps of what happened in the previous book as well as in the Legends of Dune series. In the first ...more
Ethan I. Solomon
I always have a difficult time rating the Dune books of Kevin James Anderson and Brian Herbert. I am a big fan of Frank Herbert's original Dune novels, all six of them except perhaps for Children of Dune. Frank Herbert's books were visionary masterpieces that only become more relevant as time marches on.

This is where my problem with the KJA/BH Dune books. While they are Dune books, they differ greatly from FH's vision. They are, at best, pop sci-fi novels; filled with space battles and the
Patrick Hayes
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. I've been sporadic with my reading of these prequels but when I read one I want an epic scale political saga and I am always delivered it by Herbert and Anderson.

I had not read the Sisterhood of Dune, the book before this, but easily fell into the situations all the characters were in and had a blast.

This is not an action filled book, though there is some physical action, but instead this is on the political machinations of a group of individuals who feel that
Robert
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sifi
You know, Dune is a place that you either like to go to or you don't. Having been entranced by the world of Dune in the original novel of that name (and to a greater and lesser extent for the rest of the original series), I can't help but go back to that world in its various manifestations as negotiated by the two authors.
It seems to me that the last several "Dune" novels that Herbert and Anderson: Winds; Sisterhood and Paul (of Dune) are better than some of the entries that preceded them. I
Campo
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book as it wasn't so slow as the first. Having all players already in place made it a better read.

Thing is I got annoyed by the authors need to use a couple of paragraphs as a fast summary whenever detailing a Character. Made me feel I could skip all those lines and jump directly into the new details. I don't think anybody would be reading this book without reading the other one of the series first.

This book was fun and with fast turned action. Without spoiling it leaves to many
Mia Kleve
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default, kindle
Anderson and Herbert once again plunge you into the vibrant Dune Universe.

In Mentats you start to see why the Atreides/Harkonnen feud becomes so entrenched that they will soon reach the point where no amount of restitution, from either House, will heal their wounds.

The Mentats, the Bene Geserits, and the Navigators are close to the final form that is so familiar to all who have read the Frank Herbert Dune books.

The question now is, can these three schools take on and defeat the Butlerian
Steven  Wetter
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mentats have always been the most intriguing of the advancements in human evolution portrayed within the Dune series. They always seemed like the most logical next step for human king in the advancement of our minds. An interesting and unsuspected start to the Mentat school. Keeping with the Dune Saga tradition, there are stories within the main story and underlying insinuations everywhere. I really enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who truly enjoys and understands the Dune Chronicles.
Kristina
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Seriously? I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and throw up a better novel. It seems like the authors wrote a synopsis of the plot and then used the 'find and replace' function on certain keywords to add completely unnecessary repetitions everywhere. I also have to wonder whether the authors had only just learned the words "hubris" and "bucolic" before writing the prequels because they sure as hell jumped at every opportunity to use them. Not recommend.
Theresa Lockhart
This book is a page-turner, and I enjoyed the rich characterizations. Its pacing keeps the momentum going until the end.
I found it a bit implausible that Valya seemed to stumble across the ability to use Voice without others questioning it. The Emperor's ineptitude was also hard to swallow, though even worse leaders have existed in reality.
I am eager to read the next novel in this series.
Luke
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment from the Herbert-Anderson team.

I've loved each new installment to the Dune universe and Mentats of Dune is no exception. It continues the story began in Sisterhood of Dune, chronicling the early years of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood, the Mentat and Suk schools as well as the formation of the Spacing Guild.

A great read!
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the Dune series will love this. It's a solid 4 star book. I really enjoyed reading about how the Mentat school was set up, but was a little disappointed by what happened to Gilbertus. I'm guess the Spacing Guild will be the next one, and the one that features the war between the Butlerians and Venport.

Barbara Ghylin
Dune books are always hard to follow. This one looks to be the same. The time and effort are worth it.
The way this one ended made me want to ask what is next. I little difficult to read at times, but well worth the effort.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
continuity errors involing "other memory" 2 21 Mar 19, 2014 02:39PM

• The Road to Dune
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Dune Messiah & Children Of Dune
  • The Colour Out of Space
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Well Worn Path
  • The Dreams in the Witch House
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • The Haunter of the Dark (The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus, #3)
  • Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #2)
  • Sharpe's Enemy (Sharpe, #15)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
  • Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Vol 2
  • Creed (Kate Redman Mysteries, #7)
Brian Patrick Herbert is an American author who lives in Washington state. He is the elder son of science fiction author Frank Herbert.

Dune Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1)
  • Whipping Mek (Legends of Dune, #1.5)
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • The Faces of a Martyr (Legends of Dune, #2.5)
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
  • Sisterhood of Dune (Schools of Dune #1)
  • Navigators of Dune (Schools of Dune #3)
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune #1)
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune #2)