Start by marking “Three Tales from the Laundry Files” as Want to Read:
Three Tales from the Laundry Files

Three Tales from the Laundry Files

(Laundry Files)

Enjoy two short stories and a novella from the Laundry Files. Originally published on Tor.com, these stories by Charles Stross continue the adventures of the Laundry, a secret division of the British government dedicated to tracking down and containing breaches of reality by occult and otherworldly threats.
Published July 1st 2014 by Tor Books

Ben Truong
Three Tales from the Laundry Files is a collection of three short stories from the Laundry Files series and written by Charles Stross, which was collected and published around The Rhesus Chart, but takes place during various moments in the timeline. To avoid spoilers, it is best to read this anthology after The Fuller Memorandum as there is one story "Overtime" takes place some time after the third book.

"Equoid" (★★★★☆) has Bob Howard is called to a rural part of England to investigate a possibl
Rob Trans
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Three Tales From the Laundry Files continues the story of a British counter terrorism unit that fights supernatural and alien threats told through the eyes of an employee, Bob Howard. The three novella/short stories are “Down on the Farm (Laundry Files #2.5),” “Equoid (Laundry Files #2.9),” and “Overtime (Laundry Files #3.5).” Two of the stories are in the field and the third is set at HQ with a Christmas theme. Each starts slow, but they all get better the further in you get. All of them are qu ...more
Kevin
We get three takes of "Bob Howard", overworked computational demonologist of the clandestine government department colloqually referred to as the Laundry. Two of the stories, "Overtime" and "Down on the Farm" were originally made available for free on the Internet (I did download them some years ago but never got round to reading them). I am not privy to the publishing history of "Equus".

Rather bizarrely the stories are not in chronological order with the series. I can't think why, perhaps lazin
Cloud
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, library
I forget how this came up as suggested to me, but never the less I enjoyed the quick short stories. I'm unfamiliar with Charles Stross or the world he's built in this Laundry Files series, but what I've read I've enjoyed so far. However, I do have to mention I did skip the last short story out of the three included. I honestly thought it was a preview for a full novel.

I enjoyed the addition of H. P. Lovecraft and the special horrors that brings around. I don't think I would necessarily recommen
Berni Phillips
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun. The Laundry Files is a Hugo nominee for best series, so that was why I read this. I was expecting science fiction. This is fantasy: another secret government organization that takes care of eldritch threats so the general population is unaware of their existence sort of thing. There is a sad lack of female characters, but other than that I loved it.
Muffins
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-book-club, novels
Down on the Farm 3*

Equoid 5* - This short, like the SCORPION STARE short story, made amazing use of splicing the story with another text for reference purposes. The events are so creepy and gross, it's amazing.

Overtime 3* - So festive!
Wayne
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
My reviews of the three offerings in this book are handled separately, so look them up. Down on the Farm, Equoid, and Overtime. Great mini collection, great series, and fine author! Bravo on all counts. Looking forward to the next Laundry Tales novels!
Cameron
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet and excellent

Equoid is the best in these three short stories. Incredible in fact. The other two are a quick read but equally as creepy. Don’t forget to get these three as they help to understand Bob Howard even better. Back to the novels!
Jutta
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun

I quite enjoyed these short stories. I've always liked the novels and these were a good addition to the series.
Deborah Replogle
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mathematics as magic, crimefighting like James Bond.
Alan
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I enjoyed these short stories more now that I have a couple of Stross's Laundry novels under my reading belt. I found myself settling more into the tone and world Stross is creating here, as I do have additional Laundry titles in my TBR stacks.

The general idea of the Laundry is that it is a branch of the British Intelligence/Civil Service. The catch is one might be recruited for the Laundry against their will as in this world higher mathematics is what is used to summon demons. Bob, our
Todd
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a good collection of tales from the "Laundry Files" (though all of the shorts are also available individually). My favorite, by far is "Overtime". Dark and hilarious. I highly recommend these books to all of my friends who are into British comedy and Lovecraftian horror - they are terrific mash-ups of the two genres. Fans of our webseries "Exorcists Local 667" (exorcistslocal667.com) would also likely enjoy these books.

I also read two shorts that are not included in this collection, "The Co
Robin Edman
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Laundry stuff, I do. But I don't dig on the style of the short stories. But the concepts are just so clever that you should plod through them anyway. If you like this sort of thing, that is.
Gabriel Clarke
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2015
I had managed expectations about this trio of Laundry tales but thoroughly enjoyed all three. Perhaps the more modest scope and necessarily economical story telling works in their favour compared to the novels which, much though I love them, can get a little repetitive.
Ruth Feathers
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't read Equoid at bedtime if you want to sleep. Bob is at it again in this little collection of Laundry stories.
Ville
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Laundry

They say it is a collection of short-stories but the first one is an almost full-length novel. Whats not to like?
R
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
As usual Bob is the antidote against IT fewer... ;)
Mike g
rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2018
Charles Stross
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Trey Brice
Robert
Apr 26, 2016
Jutta
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these short stories

• In The Court of the Yellow King
  • The Five Jars
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Cold Print
  • Come Twilight (Saint-Germain, #13)
  • Selected Short Stories (Modern Classics)
  • Salvage and Demolition
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF

Laundry Files (9 books)
  • The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)
  • The Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files, #2)
  • The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
  • The Rhesus Chart (Laundry Files, #5)
  • The Annihilation Score (Laundry Files, #6)
  • The Nightmare Stacks (Laundry Files, #7)
  • The Delirium Brief (Laundry Files, #8)
  • The Labyrinth Index (Laundry Files, #9)