Start by marking “Vincent” as Want to Read:
Vincent

Vincent

(SelfMadeHero's Art Masters)

The turbulent life of Vincent van Gogh is a constant source of inspiration and intrigue for artists and art lovers. In this beautiful graphic biography, artist and writer Barbara Stok documents the brief and intense period of creativity Van Gogh spent in Arles, Provence. Away from Paris, Van Gogh falls in love with the landscape and light of the south of France. He dreams ...more
Published March 6th 2014 by SelfMadeHero (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Vincent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent

Start your review of Vincent
Ariel
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was GREAT. You should read it. I loved the illustration - it was really cute and simple and clean and nice. I loved that a lot of the drawings looked like famous Van Gogh painting - it was like an easter egg hunt trying to find all of the references to his actual art. I thought it was really well spaces and really easy to follow. It was a really interesting way to learn more about this artist's life, too! I feel like I have a solid base to learn more off of.

I really had fun reading it and I
Rebecca
Dutch artist and writer Barbara Stoks Vincent is the second graphic novel Ive read from SelfMadeHeros Art Masters series, after reviewing Munch last month. Its another biographical study of an artist, in this case of Vincent van Gogh. Oddly, though, the drawing style and the subjects vibrant shock of red hair reminded me most of Agatha.

The book focuses primarily on the time van Gogh spent in the South of France. He settled in Arles, staying first in a hotel and then in a large rental house he
Sam Quixote
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maybe its partly because I know so little about him, but Vincent Van Gogh has always seemed a bit distant and cold - a genius but an isolated and seemingly unknowable one. So Im thankful that Barbara Stok has created Vincent, a wonderful graphic novel looking at the last few years of Van Goghs life, which brings a warmth and character to the artist.

The book opens as Vincent leaves Paris for Provence, an area of France where he would go on to create his most iconic paintings from the sunflowers
Sarah AlObaid
Van Gogh is my favorite painter and i am always so touched by his life story, his art, his illness that they almost always bring tears to my eyes. Really enjoyed this but for a graphic novel that is about an artist i am, ironically, not very impressed with the art.
(Also, completely unrelated but the physical book itself means so much to me because i'd purchased it from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and i'm like, 99% that that is my favorite place in the entire world)
Kate (GirlReading)
3.75* Although I wish this had gone into a little more depth, over all this was a fantastic read, complimented by gorgeous and inviting illustrations.
David Schaafsma
I loved this work. And I have been mainly reading experimental art comics lately, so this is pretty conventional stuff, by comparison: a biography of a famous painter. I didn't expect to like it much, but I did. And by the looks of her other nine books that are not yet available in English, she is best known for her autobiographical comics, so I will seek them out. This looks like something that could have been undertaken for more commercial value, because it is a biography of a famous crazy ...more
bookreaderinluv but she's tired too
Really cute art, it gave me a cute view of the life Vincent Van Gogh had. But as I saw other review I noticed that other readers noted that the author really sugar coated his story. And as a person that loves art but knows close to nothing of their painters personal life, I can't say this novel helped me. So I recommend this book only if you are interested in Barbara Stok art and not really the personal life of Vincent Van Gogh.
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio
I actually really enjoyed this. I've come to realize that graphic novels may be my favorite way to read biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs.
Akke
Vincent van Gogh is my favourite artist. The way his depression was portrayed in the illustrations was amazing. I loved this graphic novel so much
Fenny (smallangryreader)
Oh Vincent, I can be fascinated by so many art styles and obscure artists and niche movements but you just stole my heart first, didn't you? It's actually because of his and Kandinskij's works that I discovered art history, back in elementary school, and his story has been told a thousand times in a thousand different ways, but it still gets me every time. This graphic novel (brought to Italy by the one and only @baopublishing ) describes the last years in Van Gogh's life in a simple and ...more
Inna
It was my first experience in reading biography in a graphic novel and it was amazing! This work was done with so much respect for Vincent van Gogh and I really appreciated this!

This book can bring you more joy if you are already familiar with the story of the artist's life. All the pictures, dialogues, people, letters, landscapes - you will recognize everything and everyone here. As a reader, I shared the anticipation with Vincent waiting for Gauguin's arrival, enjoyed the yellowness of wheat
Katherine
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so sweet and lovely. The art style was beautiful.
Vishal Katariya
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderfully done.
C.
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting. Large focus on him trying to set up an artist studio and how much hope he put into it, not just for himself but for current and future artists. The book showed him as very hyper until he snapped and needed medical help. The doctors said he had epilepsy and he would need to be medically supervised because of repeating episodes.

Ends on a happy note. He sold a painting and met back up with his brother Theo and his namesake nephew Vincent.

There were translations of his letters to Theo
Peter Derk
What a weird and difficult task. Imagine you're a comic book artist, and someone is all, "Make a comic ABOUT a well-known artist." How the hell do you manage that?

Well, Barbara Stok does a pretty good job. Without re-creating Van Gogh's paintings exactly, she definitely evokes his work and his colors while telling a very different story than is told by the paintings themselves.

Ha, did you see that art bullshit I just pulled off there?

Truth be told, I know almost nothing about painting. I don't
Olivia
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
While maybe it's a stereotype, van Gogh is one of my favorite artists and I knew I had to read this. It wasn't until I finished it that I saw this was published in part by the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam! A museum helping publish a graphic novel...has that happened before? How fabulous is that? This was such a great format for his story.

This was fairly quick read, as many panels are wordless. The words that were included sounded like they came straight from his letters. The dialogue felt very
Katerina
A nice short graphic novel about the last years of Vincent van Gogh and his relationship with his brother. Simple illustrations but including much emotions and achieving to demonstrate the confusion and the emotional turmoil, but also the artistic maturing that Vincent went through those years. It is touching to see all this story with emphasis on the relationship of the two brothers. A fast read and a touching story.
Louise
Although it was a lovely graphic novel, I still don't think it felt like it was the story of Vincent, really. It felt like too happy, too positivist, didn't precisely reflect his crises or his depression... We cannot forget that he still suicided, so his mental health wasn't as great as this book said.
Amanda
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the way Stok painted simplified versions of Vincent's masterpieces. Her art is fantastic. And she managed to capture what one of his "fits" was like in a very effective way. That said, the story is a little too simplistic and Theo appears to be a saint to his brother which was not the case. Still worth a read.
Erin
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent biography of Vincent Van Gogh - I feel like it would have been really confusing to somebody at least not vaguely familiar with this life already. I did really appreciate the art style and perspective of what inspired my favorite painter.
Nasia
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphic-novel
This is so beautifully drawn; it depicts Van Gogh's lust for colours and vividness as well as his worries in a very delicate way.
Jennifer Co
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
cute read! I can't really rate art lol
Julie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't have imagined that an artist could so beautifully convey Van Gogh's artistry, subject matter, and use of color without directly imitating him, but this book is original and yet still a lovely homage to his work. I loved how it incorporates his letters to Theo and his encounters with other people he knew - Gaugin, M. Gachet - and also how it doesn't gloss over the strong and somewhat difficult temperament that put art before all else, sometimes to the detriment of his personal ...more
Francielli Camargo
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My first read in Dutch!
Cute little book with nice illustrations. The story is told too fast and not very detailed but I obviously get it why. It is a fun, fast read with the drawings in a mix of the author's style and van Gogh's, which I loved!
Natalie Lewis
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So brilliant, I didn't want it to end! I loved the way the drawing style changed when portraying his depression and anxiety stages. Really well done.
Trisha
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were nice and simple and it was interesting to get to know about Vincent Van Gogh.
Nadine
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Impressive graphic novel.

At first I thought that the panels were a bit too straight and too perfectly ordered for a novel about Van Gogh, but when I saw the pages depicting the mental breakdowns, I understood why everything was so well ordered. This whole novel is in colour, but somehow the panels showing Van Gogh's mental breakdowns are the brightest and the ones that stand out. Stok cleverly used many colours, patterns, and panels looking like shards to turn these experiences into pictures.
Keen
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It is only while working at the easel that I feel alive. I am painting to console myself, for my own pleasure.

Translated from the Dutch, Stok takes a refreshing approach, in that she strips away all of the pretentious mumbo jumbo which the art world loves to build around itself. She has tackled Van Goghs period in Arles in the south of France with measured brevity. We see how vital the support of his dealer/brother Theo was, and we even get a hint of his relationship with fellow painter Paul
Audrey
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was pretty solid. I have been interested in Vincent Van Gogh for a while and thought this might be a fun way to learn more about him. And it was fun, but I just didn't find it amazing. It didn't provide a lot of background information or insight into his life, which could maybe be expected from a graphic novel. Still, I would've liked a little more out of it. The parts that were included were particularly mind-blowing or interesting. It seemed like a graphic novel, very succinct ...more

• Pablo
  • Un lavoro vero
  • La distanza
  • Residenza Arcadia
  • Fermo
  • Basilicò
  • Non stancarti di andare
  • Monet: Nomade de la lumière (Contre/Champ)
  • Dodici
  • Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie
  • Vincent Van Gogh: La tristezza durerà per sempre
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • Mercedes
  • Le ragazze del Pillar (Le ragazze del Pillar, #1)
  • Il settimo splendore
  • Saigon Calling: London 1963-75
  • We Are the Beaker Girls
  • Guardati dal beluga magico
Barbara Stok briefly studied at the Fotoacademie and worked as a journalist, before ultimately choosing the profession of comic-book writer and illustrator. In her debut, Barbaraal tot op het bot (Barbara: The Bare Bones, 1998), Stok depicted her own everyday life in the form of comic strips. Concerts, nights out, getting drunk, the first steps on the path to love, the fear of death Barbara Stok ...more

SelfMadeHero's Art Masters (8 books)
  • Rembrandt