Start by marking “Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)

Ice Blues (Donald Strachey #3)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  363 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Someone's left a man's body in Donald Strachey's car -- the grandson of Albany's most connected political fixer. A letter from the deceased asks Strachey to dismantle his grandfather's party machine. Like a chess master, Strachey moves ten suitcases, an army of colorful pawns (all of whom think they're king), and $2.5 million across the continent and around Albany. One of ...more
Published November 4th 2006 by Haworth Press (first published March 3rd 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Blues

Lena♥Ribka

The third instalment of Donald Strachey Mystery was-considering the mystery probably the most complicated tricky one comparing to the first two books.

There were more suspects and persons who were not necessarily suspected but who were directly or indirectly involved in that case and that made a whole story a bit overcrowded for me.

The fact that I couldn't read it in one sitting -RL interruptions- in combination with a lot of participants made me scroll back to the previous pages to remind mysel
Jon
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Richard Stevenson does not disappoint. This is one tightly packed mystery with my favorite gay private detective. Stevenson keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire way, tossing bits of new information here and there, along with excellent sleuthing to keep serious mystery lovers guessing. As usually, I love the banter between Strachey and his partner, who are so opposite each other - yet their relationship works and is wonderful; so real - and not the main feature of the story.

Though the bo
Richard
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Solid entry in the Strachey series. It's pretty much got the same strengths and weaknesses as the previous two books; if you liked them you'll like this one, if you didn't, this isn't going to win you over.

Strengths-Strachey is as solid a character as ever, and his dry, acrebic wit keeps the story entertaining. Timmy has more to do here and is less of a piece of set decoration, but he's still a bit too Mary Sue. I get that he's meant to be Strachey's moral compass and the yin to his yang, but I
Jane
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jane by: fandom osmosis
I'm a little disappointed, because Ice Blues is one of the more humorous novels of the series, but it is also has the most outrageous and out-of-character development ever. Ice Blues deals with politic intrigue more heavy-handed than Strachey's Folly and it was sort of impossible for me to suspend belief in order to accept Donald's actions and what drove him - or any of the character's acceptance of them. (So in Ice Blues, I couldn't find Donald's actions and motive believable and in Strachey's ...more
Neet
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the in the Donald Strachey mysteries and we find our intrepid PI trying to stay warm in the cold Albany winter.Donald hates the cold, a complaint that Tim is tired of hearing.If tbat's not enough,Donald car is towed and while paying the fine,Donald goes to check his car he finds a body in the back seat.Checking the pockets of the stiff,he recognizes the name of the man in his wallet.The man was badly beaten and Donald calls the homophobic homicide detective he's dealt with in the past to ...more
Molli B.
Ah, glorious Northeast winters. I understand Don's dismal attitude. He should really follow his daydreams about fleeing south (and stay there).

It's interesting to track Don's progress through the 80s. I'm enjoying his colorful commentary.

I am thoroughly enjoying these books. Assuming they continue on as they have been going--good humor, strong mysteries, fun characters--I feel like they're the kind of books that I'll largely score with 4.25 and 4.5 but the overall series will end up a 5.

And (vie
Paul
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm, still really liking the series - so interesting spending some fictional time in the early '80s.
Josh
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Stevenson's Strachey mysteries and highly recommend them.
Adam Dunn
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series, it hits you hard in the beginning. There's a dead body in the trunk! And then has you flipping pages quickly until the end.
It seems to be standard in these books, at least in 1, 2 and now 3, that there will be too many sub-characters and the wrap-up won't make a lot of sense. After reading book 2 I watched the movie version and they cleared that up, I expect the same will happen here when I watch this movie.
An extra bonus was reading this in the summer humidity.
Tex Reader
4.0 of 5 stars – Improved on an Already Entertaining Series.

I love gay mysteries and romances, and Richard Stevenson does a good job of combining both in one of the more entertaining such series. I liked this for the same reasons I liked each in the series. This third entry was even better than its predecessors and continued to build the story. With crisp, witty writing, it’s a good mystery, set in the energized post-Stonewall/early AIDS era, and brought to life by a colorful, hard-boiled yet li
Franzi
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay, so this is a difficult one to rate.
I accidentally started with this one instead of book #1, but from my experience and from what I read you can pretty much start anywhere in this series.
The mystery was solid and interesting, the detective work nice and old school, so the book did score on this part. It didn't quite grip me though. I wanted to see it solved, but I wasn't in a state where I couldn't put it down.

Now my main problem with this book (and also with another of the series I've star
_inbetween_
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was ok
After 20 pages I had to concede defeat, but I didn't want to. After 30 pages I was so bored I started reading my crappy old CSS hand-outs instead.
There are 200 pages. And half a dozen books in this series. Unheard of of me, I started with the third, because people agreed it focussed most on the relationship between Donald and Timothy - except what there is is so little, and not written like two distinct voices or anything.
Still hoping though ...

It picked up a bit when boyfriend Timmy and Kyle To
Jo
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I was watching part of this movie on Logo the other night, and I found the rest of it on Netflix, which I have yet to finish, so when I saw the book was only $5 on Kindle I thought I'd try it (not that I need to explain why I read a book but I already typed this out so whatever). My main complaint was the cheap ebook, huge sections were in italics for no reason, and there were really basic spelling errors from the transition, which was very annoying. Overall, it was a decent story, the atmospher ...more
Antonella
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
((Read in 2009, reread for a challenge in January 2016))

In the third book of the series the mystery is even more convoluted, the banter between Don and Tim is as good as usual, the writing still excellent. An extra MC is the winter in Albany, which is also the pretext for many caustic puns and some whining from Don.
I feel very melancholic thinking about Jack Lenihan and his plan for (view spoiler). I admit one might need a suspension of
Writerlibrarian
I'm going thru the series rapidly. Everybody's looking for the money, Jack Lenihan, supposedly wanted to give to the political candidate that would go along his view of change. 2 millions dollars is a lot of money to travel in suitcases. When Lenihan is found murdered in Donald Strachey's car, the chase for the killer, the money and where the money came from starts. Fun, a little slow to get going with the plot but it does pay off in the ends. Third book in the series.
Drianne
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, m-m, mystery, re-read
Re-read this one yesterday because I was hoping it would make me feel better about the terrible winter we're having! (It did a little, I think.) I really love these books, and I wish the film adaptations had been more faithful -- they're so funny and *specific*, whereas the films are just generic. (I don't think there was anything left of this one in the film.) And Timmy is great. Also fascinating to see the huge impact of the AIDS crisis in something where that's not the main theme.
Donnie
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This is a very good gay detective book ,it like more of his books touch on a lot of social issues and even though the times have change many social injustices still need addressing. Richard Stevenson's writing matures with each book and his unique sense of style becomes more apparent,which sets him aside from so many other detective writers.I am defiantly going to continue through this series and I would absolutely recommend this to any one who likes a good detective book!
Alexander Inglis
Richard Stevenson's Ice Blues, the third of the Donald Stratchey PI novels set in Albany, NY. It's the dead of winter (no pun intended), and a corpse turns up in Stratchey's car -- the grandson of Albany's political machine ... and $2.5 million is missing. It's a breezy read, the dialogue a tad too bitchy in places, but entertaining fluff.
Gilliam
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Snarky, good humoured and boasting an entertaining cast of characters, Ice Blues, the 3rd Don Strachey mystery is also the most successful entry thus far in Stevenson's mystery cum dark comedy series. Indeed, distracted by the engaging camaraderie between Don & Timmy and Don & Dt. Bowman the murder mystery is almost beside the point.
Ije the Devourer of Books
I am slowly making my way through this series. This was the best so far. It had a mystery that kept unravelling, but did so slowly and with just the right amount of tension. It was also very humorous with Don's dry wit and detective escapades. Also i really liked Timmy as the unwilling but loyal side kick.
Lori
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, glbt
One of the earliest series to feature an openly gay detective; Stevenson's Donald Strachey mysteries have enjoyed a mild resurgence in popularity after TV movies have been made of a few of them. Strachey and his lover (these pre-date the use of "partner" to indicate one's romantic companion) sort of fit into the "Nick & Nora" mold of a previous generation.
Mike
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid entry in the Strachey series, which generally gets better with each book. Don himself is much less of a philandering twat in this one than he usually is, though that is only because, by his own admission, he's afraid of catching AIDS. In conclusion, the 80s were shit and I will punch anyone who honestly longs for "the good old days."
Joe Scholes
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Greg Rowland
This is the third book in the Donald Strachey series, and I enjoyed it about as much as the first two. They're not page-turner thrillers, but still pretty good detective stories. I plan to continue reading the series.
Adam
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Glad to have read this, but pretty forgettable
Mia
Aug 25, 2008 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: A good mystery lover!
I love a good mystery!!!
Donald and Timmy are a lovely pair. Also the movie was released in Canada and I wanted to refresh my memory!!
Montana
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, mystery, i-own
The new MLR Press editions, at least the ebook versions, have a disappointing number of typographical problems, both minor and major.
Sandra
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series is great. Witty, well written and thoroughly entertaining.
Linda-Grace
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Matt Frear
Not exactly great literature, but a fun read!
Sean Kennedy

(3.5 / 5)

Good story, atrocious formatting still.
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • His Name Is John (Elliott Smith #1)
  • Date with a Sheesha (A Russell Quant Mystery, #7)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Flight Dreams (Mark Manning Mystery, #1)
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Revision of Justice (Benjamin Justice, #2)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)

Richard Stevenson is the pseudonym of Richard Lipez, the author of nine books, including the Don Strachey private eye series. The Strachey books are being filmed by here!, the first gay television network. Lipez also co-wrote Grand Scam with Peter Stein, and contributed to C
More about Richard Stevenson...

Donald Strachey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)
  • Strachey's Folly (Donald Strachey, #7)
  • Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey, #8)
  • Death Vows (Donald Strachey, #9)
  • The 38 Million Dollar Smile (Donald Strachey, #10)
  • Cockeyed (Donald Strachey, #11)
“He was the only man I knew who could roll his eyes over the telephone.” 1 likes
“Mother of God!"

"That was my thought, or the Presbyterian equivalent thereof.”
0 likes