Start by marking “The Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Daughter

The Daughter

3.50  ·  Rating details ·  13,935 ratings  ·  1,619 reviews
Jenny is a successful family doctor, the mother of three great teenagers, married to a celebrated neurosurgeon.

But when her youngest child, fifteen-year-old Naomi, doesn’t come home after her school play, Jenny’s seemingly ideal life begins to crumble. The authorities launch a nationwide search with no success. Naomi has vanished, and her family is broken.

As the months pas
Published March 3rd 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stefane I disliked the ending. Thought it didn't make any sense and was completely unrealistic.
Petra Miocic I suppose it depends on how mature your 13-year-old is. As someone said, kids should be aware of all the bad things out there but then again, maybe…moreI suppose it depends on how mature your 13-year-old is. As someone said, kids should be aware of all the bad things out there but then again, maybe some books for young adults would be more appropriate for the introduction. I used to read books like "Daughter" at the age of 13 and I turned out pretty fine :)(less)

·  13,935 ratings  ·  1,619 reviews

Leah
I've literally just finished reading Daughter... and I'm confused. What kind of ending was that? Who writes a 400 page book to end it so ambiguously? Ugh. I'm not impressed, and a tad confused. What exactly happened the night Naomi disappeared? Despite that being the main question asked of the novel, we don't actually find out definitively.

I also must confess to not liking the present day narrative. It was a bit boring, and Jenny's guilt came way, way too late. Whilst I understand her need for
Margaret Houston
Deanna
I was really looking forward to this book after reading the description. However, in my opinion it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

When 15 year old Naomi doesn't come home after her school play, her parents immediately start to panic. A nationwide search is launched but there seems to be no trace of Naomi. Was she taken or did she leave by her own choice? Her mother Jenny has not given up hope and continues to dig for answers. She questions everything she thought she knew about Naomi as
Joanne Sheppard
Daughter by Jane Shemilt centres on the disappearance of a 15-year-old girl, Naomi, from the kind of middle-class, well-off family that has a cleaner and a holiday cottage. It's Naomi's mother Jenny who tells the story of the events leading up to Naomi's failure to come home one night after her appearance in a school play, and of the aftermath of her - what? Abduction? Murder? Or has Naomi simply run away?

The general message of Daughter is that we don't always know our families - particularly ou
Diane S ☔
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Jenny thought she was handling her busy life well, she is a physician, loves to paint and is raising three children. She thought that though her time was divided that she knew her children, understood them and was always there for them when they really needed her. She thought this until her fifteen year old daughter Naomi did not come home.

I think if I had read this while raising my children it would have made me very protective, looking for things they were not telling me. Maybe more carefu
Sharon
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy true to live stories with a twist
Shelves: reviewed-2015
E-book gifted by NetGalley for review

Jenny thinks she has it all, perfect husband, perfect children and the perfect job. That is until their 15-year-old daughter Naomi goes missing. As the days roll into weeks, then months, secrets about her family will surface that shocks Jenny to the very core of her being. She will question everything she knew about her loved ones, has she really been blind to her family and what has been going on below the surface with them? What ever the case Jenny's once p
Michael
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book for me to asses. On one hand the writing is for the most part first class and will keep you thinking to the very end. But countering that was two huge niggles that usually is enough for me to downgrade my rating but here i am not so sure.

The story at it's core is about secrets and how they can have the ability to destroy a family. Jenny Malcolm seemingly has the perfect family. She works long hours as a doctor, has a neurosurgeon husband, Ted and three teenage children.
Malia
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I was quite excited when my copy of this book finally arrived, after having read such good things about it for a while. It starts of very intriguingly, with Naomi, a fifteen-year-old girl, disappearing without a trace. The story is told from the past and the present by Jenny, the mother, who is unable to fathom a world without her youngest child. The premise of the story is tragic and moving at once, and I was pulled in quickly. For about the first half, I thought I would happily give the book f ...more
Alex
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amy Goodchild
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mafi
Prometia muito mas não cumpriu. Até tive de ler o final duas vezes para ver se tinha percebido bem..

(....)

O enredo é contado do seu ponto de vista e Jenny vai-nos relatando aquilo que acha que pode ter acontecido à sua filha. Depressa percebe que não conhece nem Naomi, nem os filhos nem o seu próprio marido como julgava conhecer. No meio disto tudo surge as dúvidas se terá sido uma boa mãe e educadora e a culpa pelo que está a acontecer.

Até a meio do livro, a trama vai seguindo a um ritmo norma
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*3.5 stars
Jane Shemilt’s debut novel Daughter has been billed as a thriller about a teenage girl’s disappearance. I would have to say this book is best described as a family drama, with a measured dose of suspense, centered around fifteen year old Naomi Malcolm’s disappearance. Daughter is also a thought provoking read, raising questions around the concept of whether or not you truly know you loved ones.

The bulk of Daughter is told from the perspective of Jenny Malcolm, the mother of the missing
Liz Barnsley
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I’ve read some great family dramas with a mystery twist recently and this one was an excellent and addictive example of why I love these sorts of stories when they are done well.

In “Daughter”, when Naomi fails to return from her school play, her family is thrust into the limelight of a nationwide search and an emotional turmoil that knows no bounds. As the story evolves between the days leading up to Naomi going missing, the immediate aftermath, then a year later, we get a realistic and emoti
Patty
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Is a mother responsible for everyone's safety and happiness 24/7? Should she see everything going on and intervene before things go to far? If she is too nosy and overbearing the kids won't tell her anything, if she is not involved the kids don't think she cares, how can a mother know what is best? Can we ever really know another person?

I just read an article in People magazine about Terri Roberts, she is the mother of the 32 year old man that went on a killing spree at the Amish School in PA.
sue
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This fabulous book won't be released until June.

I was honoured to be able to read this for the author and publishers Penguin Books (UK)

Where do I start. I've been thinking all afternoon how to write my review as I don't want to give away too many spoilers or the conclusion of the book.

If you are a Mother you will know we all get guilt. Did we do this enough for them, did we look after them properly, is it our fault they did this or that, should I have done things a different way. No ones childr
Brenda
Jenny Malcolm worked long hours as a family doctor; her husband Ted was a successful neurosurgeon within a big hospital; twins Theo and Ed were in their final year of study and busy with their own lives; while fifteen year old Naomi was rehearsing for the school play of which she was a big part. Everyone had things to do – the small differences Jenny was noticing with Naomi were fleeting; she put it all down to tiredness from the constant pull and pressures of the play.

But the second to last ni
Dale Harcombe
A fifteen year old daughter, Naomi goes missing and the family is left with lots of questions but no answers. It sounds like all the ingredients for a riveting read and that’s what I expected. For me though, it never happened that way. Don’t get me wrong, the book is readable. The problem I felt was the way it kept jumping from the period of Naomi’s disappearance and then to twelve months later. Instead of building tension this technique diffused it.
My other problem was Jenny, the mother. I cou
Frances
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enormous waste of my time. I don't even know where to begin with this.

The main character, Jenny, is a Dr and an idiot. "My daughter's perfect and good and tells me everything!" Even a good kid doesn't tell their parents everything. She's completely oblivious to what anyone is doing, ever, if it doesn't involve her. Jenny is kind of a dick.

Let's see, what else made me angry? It's set in Bristol, where I was born, where I live and the descriptions are awful. She just names place
Tempo de Ler
O início de A Filha Desaparecidacoloca-nos logo no centro da história: o misterioso desaparecimento de Naomi de apenas 15 anos.

Os desenvolvimentos são narrados pela mãe de Naomi, Jenny. Médica, esposa e mãe de três filhos adolescentes, Jenny luta contra a dificuldade de conciliar a vida profissional com a pessoal, acabando por negligenciar ligeiramente ambas.

Por ser na primeira pessoa, a narrativa permite-nos acompanhar o sofrimento e desespero de Jenny bem de perto. Embora o presente se situe
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

When her young teenage daughter fails to come home one night after a school play performance, Jenny is frantic, Naomi is an innocent, her disappearance out of character and Jenny wants nothing more than to find her. As the police investigate, Jenny is stunned by what they discover, Naomi has been leading a life she knew nothing about.

The first person narrative shifts between the past - the days and weeks just before and after Naomi's disappearance - and the present, nearly a year later. Surprisi
Aly Locatelli
Interesting story, and it's nice to have it based literally on my doorstep, but the main character's voice is just bland and boring and not engaging whatsoever. At 44% nothing has happened to hold my attention and, truthfully, the mother (our MC) is really testing my nerves.

You don't accuse a family of abuse just because you're a shitty doctor who doesn't listen to her patients when they say their daughter is sick. You don't set social services on them because you saw bruises on the girl's body
Kate Taylor
Mirela
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller, 2016, crime
Jedna od onih knjiga koje ne prestaješ čitati jer ne možeš nikako naći dobar trenutak za prestati . Radnja i napetost ne prestaju nego nas svako poglavlje ostavlja sa novim upitnicima . Jednostavno odlična .
Učitaj se!
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Jenny Malcolm je liječnica, supruga, slikarica, majka troje djece. Jenny živi naizgled savršenim životom, koji se uzdrma iz temelja na večer u kojoj njena kći, Naomi, nestane.

Nakon Naomina nestanka, Jenny se počinje prisjećati svake sitnice, svake sitne promjene u Naominom ponašanju, koju je kod nje bila otpisala na račun umora zbog sudjelovanja u školskoj predstavi, a koje su, očito, bile i znakovi nečeg drugog. A što se više detalja o noći nestanka jedan za drugim otkrivaju, Jenny polako shvać
Jules
I'm giving this 3 stars, as it was a reasonably enjoyable read. I thought the idea behind the book was good. I think if this is read as more of a crime drama, rather than a suspense thriller, it may be enjoyed more. It may also be enjoyed more by readers who have teenage children, as they may be able to connect with it better than me, who just has 2 dogs, who are reasonably well behaved.

I have to admit, that in this case, I very much judged the book by its cover. I think the cover is great &
Regina
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
I just finished reading Daughter five minutes ago.

It was oh so good and oh so frustrating at the same time.

It was well paced, captivating and very well crafted.

The frustration came from the character of the mother - Jenny. She irritated me so much. I wanted to reach into the novel and shake her. I believe to cause such a feeling in the reader is also the mark of a well written novel.

The ending was also frustrating - frustratingly good.

I didn't like any of the characters - but that's what I like
Joanna Scott
Disappointed and incredulous. I actually felt sorry for the mother and father in this book as their children Naomi, Ed and Theo were painted as sullen, crotchety brats yet mother ran round after them. When the girl disappeared I couldn't care less what happened to her and the end of the book proves my point. What a thoughtless, hard and cruel wee madam. I feel sorry for Jenny and I liked Mary and the the dog Bertie but beyond that......
Bruna Vraničić Vujević
Mislim da ću još dugo biti pod dojmom, stvarno nevjerojatna priča.
erigibbi
Dal mio BLOG www.erigibbi.it

Jenny è un medico, sposata con un famoso neurochirurgo e madre di tre adolescenti. Una famiglia all’apparenza perfetta che si sgretola quando Naomi, la figlia quindicenne, una sera non torna a casa.

A un anno dalla sparizione Jenny non si arrende: sta ancora cercando di scoprire che fine ha fatto sua figlia. Attraverso questa ricerca scoprirà che Naomi era molto diversa da come pensava che fosse.

La narrazione si svolge in due archi temporali e spaziali: il passato (200
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Η αλήθεια είναι πως στέκομαι αρκετή ώρα κοιτάζοντας την οθόνη του υπολογιστή μου, χωρίς να είμαι σίγουρη από που πρέπει να ξεκινήσω ή τι πρέπει να γράψω. "Η κόρη" είναι ένα βιβλίο που μου προκάλεσε πολύ μεγάλη σύγχυση, αναστάτωση κι εκνευρισμό, καθ' όλη την διάρκεια της ανάγνωσή του, παράλληλα, όμως, είναι ένα βιβλίο που με έκανε να προβληματιστώ βαθιά και να σκεφτώ πράγματα που μπορεί να έχουν περάσει δεκάδες φορές από το μυαλό μου, όμως στη συνείδηση μιας μάνας, ακόμα κι αν τα έχει υπεραναλύσε ...more
The Asocial Readers: September Book 1 4 Aug 29, 2018 01:28PM
The Daughter 1 4 Aug 06, 2018 11:31AM
The ending 10 122 Sep 17, 2017 10:49AM

• Bird Brain
  • Up Close
  • Disappear
  • No Love Lost
  • A Single Breath
  • The House At The Bottom Of The Hill (Swallows Fall Book 3)
  • She's Having Her Baby
  • The Saddler Boys
  • The Road to Hope
  • A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation (Constant Love #1)
  • Precious Thing
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • Tarnished
  • Riverboat Point
  • The Son-in-Law
  • Bitter Fruits (DI Erica Martin, #1)
  • The Friday Gospels
  • One Little White Lie
Jane is a general practitioner who completed a post graduate diploma in Creative Writing at Bristol university and went on to study for a M.A in Creative writing at Bath Spa. She was shortlisted for the Janklow and Nesbitt award and the Lucy Cavendish fiction prize for Daughter, her first novel.

She and her husband, a Professor of Neurosurgery, have 5 children and live in Bristol, England.
“When you are young you have no idea what you will need as time passes or how strong you might have to be.” 2 likes
“Write down what he said, if you can.” Michael reached into his bag and gave me a blank piece of paper, already neatly attached to a clipboard. He felt in his” 0 likes