Start by marking “Deathmaker (Dragon Blood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deathmaker (Dragon Blood, #2)

Deathmaker (Dragon Blood #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,407 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
When Lieutenant Caslin Ahn joined Wolf Squadron, she was prepared for the reality that she might one day be killed in the line of duty. She was less prepared for being shot down, assumed dead by her own people, and dragged off to the Cofah Empire as a prisoner of war. As if being thrust into a dungeon and interrogated wasn't bad enough, the sadistic commandant decides to g ...more
Published May 23rd 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published May 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Deathmaker, please sign up.
Kari I don't know for sure but it looks like Jason Momoa; from his his time as an actor on Stargate: Atlantis.

Beth
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I might have a new Favorite Buroker couple...
Ok, I love them all but there is such amazing chemistry between Lieutenant Caslin Ahn and Tolemek “Deathmaker”.

You know the saying, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”...well lets take that a little further... Buroker gives two enemies, brings and a third and gives us a sizzling romantic tension and OMG, what a storyline.

Ahn is amazing! Strong, Smart, Sexy, a warrior that is not cowed even with the odds against her. Tolemek is a genius and
Katyana
I didn't like this one as much as I liked the first one, primarily because I didn't like the h/h.

Cas was disappointing to me. For someone who was supposedly this badass, she was unbelievably docile as she was taken prisoner again and again. She had so many situations where she had the upper hand and she did nothing with it. She wasn't exactly what I'd call TSTL - she always managed to escape or do something to get the upper hand - but when she got it, she folded like a house of cards. It made he
Cat
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

I loved the first book - featuring Sardelle and Ridge - and was a bit disappointed to learn this book wouldn't 'feature' them. I am beyond elated with this story so shame on me for having any doubts! This book is AMAZING. It touches on pretty much every genre: comedy, romance, thriller, fantasy, etc.

Lt. Caslin Ahn, whom we've been introduced to previously by Ridge in book 1, is our heroine. She's smart, witty, loyal...a
Deniz
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, paranormal
3.5 Stars

I think Deathmaker was a tad better than Balanced on the Blade's Edge.

The world building is getting better and better. I love the world Buroker has created. A little steampunk, some magic, pirates and flying warriors- totally my kinda thing.

The character building is interesting. I loved Tolemek. The stupid/genius that is lost and lonely, who had good intentions and ended up doing the worst kind of evil. Add to that muscles, great intellect, kind nature and broody dark moods and we hav
Denise
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-2017
Turns out reports of Wolf Squadron pilot Lieutenant Caslin Ahn's death were somewhat premature: When her flier crashed into the ocean, she managed to get out and swim for safety. Unfortunately, the helpful rescuers pulling her out of the water belonged to the enemy, and she promptly got shipped off to the Cofah Empire as a prisoner of war. With everyone at home believing her dead, she knows noone will come to rescue her - so she'll just have to rescue herself. Whether her new cellmate, the notor ...more
Tami
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice sequel I liked it fine - a little less than the first installment.
The reason lies solely in the romance. I just liked Ridge and Sardelle a lot as a couple and found the way their relationship progressed much more enjoyable.

Tolemek or Deathmaker is certainly an interesting character, but the Cas remained kind of pale though there certainly are enough facets to her (physical manko overcome through ingenuity - and vigor; excellent marksman; special family history etc.) that should have made h
Ornella (Nyx)
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why but this one definitely appealed more to me than the first book. There was just something very endearing about Tolemek. Or maybe I just have a thing for mad/evil scientist :P

Keep 'em coming Buroker!
Mei
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I've written the review for the first 4 book bere:

Hannah
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked Deathmaker as the first book to grace my shiny new Kindle Paperwhite, since Lindsay Buroker hasn't let me down yet, and thankfully that continues to hold true - it's a fun read with likeable characters and some major action in the skies for a change from the largely ground-based events of Balanced on the Blade's Edge. Pirates, planes, steam contraptions and magic - it sounds like a lot, but it works. It's less strong on the romance front, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Book 2 jumps right
Mel
The world is fascinating, the characters are somewhat flat but not to the point of boredom, and the plot is at least coherent. But somehow this book just felt...empty. Like I was reading a collection of excerpts and somehow missing the meat of the book. One of my biggest complaints was how little danger the characters ever seemed to be in. Oh, we were told they were in grave peril a lot, but we also knew that they weren't, not really. Take for example Cas' fear of the infamous "Deathmaker." She' ...more
Claudia
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lindsay Buroker delivers again an engaging story in an interesting world. the characters were perfectly done as always and the storyline was more than fascinating.

the saying, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” is very true for this book and it takes it a little further.

Cas Ahn is a warriour through and through but also smart, witty, loyal She also makes her mistakes along the way but never gives up no matter the odds against her, which makes her even more amazing as a character.
Tolemek is a
Hellvis
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deathmaker takes place in the same world as Balanced on the Blade's Edge, slightly after the events of the first book.

Take sky pirates, steam powered airships and marvelously deadly flying machines, add a mad scientist on a mission, a sharp shooting gunslinger, some deadpan wit and the old saying 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', and Deathmaker is the result.

Packed with nail biting action, daring escapes, forbidden magic, goo, and Buroker's trademark smart-mouthed spunky female heroine, Deat
Eatworm
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(3 1/2 stars) The second book in the series, this is a great light YA fantasy/ steampunk, and definitely one for Buroker Fans. I found the storyline, humour and characters more enjoyable in this second volume, and the relationship between the two protagonists more believable (although some more character complexity and development on the romance front would have made it even better). Enjoyable read!
Hallie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I love a good enemies to trusted companions (and sometimes to lovers) story as much as the next reader, especially when done with Buroker's usual verve and fun world-building, but this one seemed to set the pair TOO far apart for the enmity to be overcome. Still, - oh, wait - STOP HERE if you haven't read book one yet!

!! !!!

- nice seeing that Caslin wasn't really dead, and loved Sardelle and Ridge together in this.
Frankly Frankie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice one but I felt a bit shortchanged.

It didn't actually feel like a relationship between Cas and Tolomek actually got established. There was attraction sure, and a couple light pecks but the evolution of their relationship seemed overshadowed by Ridge and Sardelle's entry in the latter part of the book.

Jaxi is my dupes. *does secret handshake*

On to book 3, I guess.
Gena
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, awesome :) Loved Tolemek from the beginning (yes due to the Jason Momoa like picture on the cover :) I warmed up to Cas when she warmed up to Tolemek. Perfect? No but entertaining and enough action to keep the story moving quickly.
Deanne
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasyandscifi
Fun read by one of my favourite little known authors. Buroker builds complicated interesting world's and has come up with some memorable characters.
It begins with a prisoner of war being transferred to a new prison, once there she is put into a cell with a man who regards her as his worst enemy.
Fallon Brown
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this. I just...yeah, I loved this book.

I enjoyed the back and forth between Cas and Tolemek from the beginning, and the way things shifted between them. And when Ridge and Sardelle came back on the scene. And Jaxi's comments. All so great. Can't wait to read the next one.
S.A. Gibson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun military adventure/romance with a touch of fantasy.
Paula
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay has never disappointed me with a book yet. Throughly enjoyed this second book in the series.
Llaph | No Frill | No Shill
I can't list one specific thing, but I really enjoyed this book.
Mary
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 - good story, simple writing
A.Z. Green
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just what I'd expect from the likes of Buroker. Loved the characters in this, maybe even more so than the first and I now have a book crush on Tolemek. So now onto the next book. Woo-hoo!
K.J. Harrowick
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Why I picked up this book:

After reading Balanced on the Blade’s Edge and utterly falling in love with the story and characters, there was only one option: keep going. No faster had I gotten the first book’s review done and I was already diving into this book. It came as part of an initial trilogy package, but there are many more books in this series.

This review may contain spoilers.

What I loved:

Cas is a fantastic character. Trained by her father to be a sniper, and pulled into Wolf Squadron at
Christian Spließ
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Caslin Ahn, kurz im ersten Buch der Reihe erwähnt, wird von ihren Kameraden für tot gehalten. Tatsächlich ist sie in die Hände der Feinde - der Cofah - gefallen und landet mit dem Piraten "Deathmaker" Tomelek in einer Zelle. Glück für sie: Tomelek hat sich absichtlich einsperren lassen, um an wichtige Dokumente zu kommen. Pech für sie: Bevor Tomelek sie freilassen kann, finden seine Piratenkumpanen heraus, wer sie ist. Da ihr Vorgesetzter sich im Piratenkapitän einen Erzfeind gemacht hat, schein ...more
Joy E. Rancatore
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cas and Tolemek make the most unlikely allies as these sworn enemies are thrown together (literally) in a series of political and power-seeking events that pit two countries and a dangerous pirate nation against one another. As secrets surface, bonds are both broken and made while the tale ramps up to a very satisfying ending. Deathmaker combines magic, science, piracy, politics, intrigue and military maneuvers and tops them all off with a deliciously steampunk vibe.

Not going to lie. I may have
Alicia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It was only "okay". I read this as part of the omnibus Dragon's Blood. I don't feel the 3 books are strong enough to be solid novels on their own. I think the Emperor's Edge books are better written than this off which takes place in the same world. It's a quick read and okay if the price stays low. I'd like to see what happens later if it gets more interesting but I feel like I'm being strung along. Something I don't care for when reading a series.

I also picked up the audible narrated version -
Shaly
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lindsay-buroker
4.5 Stars

Not all pirates are sexy...in fact these pirates were just downright disgusting... except for Tolemek but I guess that's due to the fact that he was actually a scientist and not really a pirate..at least not at heart.

In any case this was just as engaging as book one. Cas is alive! Yay!! Though every single escape attempt is thwarted due to the fact that she's really bad at it, I mean like extremely bad. In fact the only two things she is good at is flying and shooting because homegirl
Lana
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books are hilarious, I just love the wit the characters express all the time even in the most difficult of situations. This the second book is about an adventure which Caslin Ahn had. She is a pilot in the wolf squadron ie. part of Zirkander's team and she has gone down with her dragon fighter and ended being captured and imprisoned in Cofah and she is joined in her cell by one of the biggest enemies of the wolf squadron, the pirate known as deathmaker. Things get very interesting from the ...more
Sonisha Alcide
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Even better than the first book, Deathmaker is an amazing action/steampunk/adventure/romance tale that keeps you interested and wanting more. I could not put this one down! I thought it did a better job at showing the reader the world that Buroker has built and how it works. I found so much interesting about these two new main characters, and I thought that they were very likable. I liked the many plot twists and turns, and I thought it did a great job at keeping the reader guessing. I will admi ...more
  • The Element of Death (The Final Formula, #1.5)
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • Here There Be Monsters (Iron Seas, #0.5)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Heart of the Dragon's Realm
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Ghost Dagger (Ghosts, #2.5)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker

Dragon Blood (8 books)
  • Balanced on the Blade's Edge (Dragon Blood, #1)
  • Blood Charged (Dragon Blood, #3)
  • Patterns in the Dark (Dragon Blood, #4)
  • The Blade's Memory (Dragon Blood, #5)
  • Raptor (Dragon Blood, #6)
  • Soulblade (Dragon Blood, #7)
  • Oaths (Dragon Blood, #8)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)