Start by marking “The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)

The Broken Window

(Lincoln Rhyme #8)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  16,039 ratings  ·  1,025 reviews
El regreso de Lincoln Rhyme, el criminólogo tetrapléjico que protagonizó El coleccionista de huesos. «Si alguna vez te has preocupado por toda la información que alguien podría encontrar sobre ti en la red, esta novela te aterrará». The Globe and Mail Jeffery Deaver es uno de los grandes maestros del thriller psicológico actual. Varias cuentas de correo electrónico, tu per ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

·  16,039 ratings  ·  1,025 reviews

Barbara
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it

In this eighth book in the series, wheelchair-bound criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner, detective Amelia Sachs, are drawn into the investigation when Lincoln's cousin Arthur Rhyme is arrested for murder. Lincoln and his team soon discover that the real murderer is a serial rapist/murderer who uses personal information from a data mining company to lure his victims and to plant evidence so innocent people are arrested for the crimes.

The source of the personal data used by the perpetrator
stephanie
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
oh my lord. i haven't been this creeped out by a book in like, forever. and now i'm totally bothered by the fact that there is all this information that *I'VE* put on the internet about myself and my book tastes and now there's all this CRAZY ASS INFORMATION that EVERYONE can find out about me.

i love ron pulaski, almost more than amelia. i love watching him grow over the series - i love lincoln, i love lon, and mel, and the crazy computer techs.

this writing is tight and plotty and crazy-brilli
Obsidian
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
Well after a kick butt book #7, I had high hopes for book #8, instead this one floundered a lot IMHO. We also have Sachs in my opinion being a total nitwit for how she handles an inappropriate relationship with someone she is close to. And I have to say that this book was highly repetitive from beginning to end. I think that Deaver was trying to tell three stories in this one, and they all get pretty lost. The ending I found to be off and just setting things up for the next book in the series. A ...more
Melanie Cattanach
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Scared me spitless, yet here I sit sharing information about my reading preferences on the web.
Mark
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of technological & CSI thrillers
The best reason for rereading a book is getting it in a better edition, in this case a Hard covered version which meant that the paperback has been retired.

This is a Lincoln Rhyme novel that delves into the world of data-mining and during this story he certainly does not pull his punches when it comes to giving a moral judgement over this industry.
Hidden in this book is a thriller and whodunit, the murder of a woman gets Rhymes cousin into trouble being used as a sacrificial lamb for a horrible
Alan Cotterell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Disturbing

A story about the amount of data on each and every one of us and how it can be used in the right hands and in the wrong. Can't say much more without spoilers. Once again am excellent story with a brilliant protagonist. Unfortunately once again there seemed to me, that there was a large chunk of fairly slow story line in the middle. But either side of this was very fast paced. For this reason I am awarding 4 not 5 stars.
Terri
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-thriller
I gave this 3 stars. Mostly because I have big issues with an author using lazy words (or technically fake words) like 'people've' and 'might'v've'. I don't care who you are, putting 'v've at the end of a word is simply not acceptable.

There was a lot of this book that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn't wait to read in bed at night, but as the book went on, something didn't feel right. The writing was not so great in parts, only it wasn't that. I think I can only do a spoiler and all those who hav
Mary
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Another crime solved by the great criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs. This one was a creepy story about identity theft at its very worst - the big problem for me is that I can totally see this happening in the world today - makes me want to throw away all my store club cards and credit cards and live "off the grid." We also get some interesting family history for Lincoln this time.
Highly recommended for fans of the series and those who enjoy criminal mysteries.
Jen
Everything about it was brilliant!!!
I especially enjoyed the narration by George Guildhall (Clipper Audio version), marvellous.
Beth
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Not worried about identity theft? Read THE BROKEN WINDOW by Jeffrey Deaver. You will be.

A serial killer has gone undetected because he has been able to pin the crime on some innocent person each time. The killer “knows everything” about his murder victims and so is able to get close to them and then plant evidence that proves the guilt of innocent people because the killer "knows everything" about them, too.

But how does he do it? How is he able to know everything about these people? Where does h
Jerry
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
3.5 stars.. Another outing with Lincoln Rhyme in the books.. I enjoyed this one, though The Stone Monkey, my first Lincoln Rhyme novel remains my favorite. An interesting concept, featuring a unique type of serial killer/hoarder/hacker who frames others to take the fall for his crimes. I think he really shows the dangers of all the invasion of privacy issues we deal with in our daily lives, showing just how all the seemingly random bits of data collected in our lives can and are probably right ...more
Cameron
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest Lincoln Rhyme novel from Jeffrey Deaver
Rhyme, a forensic consultant for the NYPD, and his detective partner, Amelia Sachs, take on a psychotic mastermind who uses data mining—the business of the twenty-first century, not only to select and hunt down his victims but also to frame the crimes on complete innocents. Rhyme is reluctantly drawn into a case involving his estranged cousin, Arthur, who's been charged with first-degree murder. But when Rhyme and his crew look into the s
Ellen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
April 7, 2014

The Broken Window: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel

I've enjoyed the Lincoln Rhymes books and especially appreciate the camaraderie between rhyme & Amelia Sachs.
This is a revision of my first review for this book.

I listened to this novel on CD narrated expertly by George Guidall.
Arthur Rhyme has been charged with the crime of murder. A heinous murder. Now he desperately needs the help of his cousin, Lincoln Rhyme.
This story centers on a psychopathic monster but a monster with a brain.
Magpie67
Weird and disturbing.... the collector was weird and the gathering of all the information on all individuals and then stored... disturbing, creepy, and down right scary. This perp enjoyed destroying lives by manipulating their buying habits and events in their lives. For him it was an experiment to watch men he chose to lose everything they had in life and to this; he stole their identities. The women he choose... sick rapist and a collector. But he was also a hoarder, the collections he needed ...more
Ramsey Hootman
So one of the things I love about the Lincoln Rhyme series is how Deaver tackles a different interesting research topic in each book. This time, however, his topic du jour was something I am very familiar with: internet culture. Well, I guess his focus wasn't so much that as privacy issues. Anyway, geeks came to the forefront here. And... as always with any outsider's view of a culture, it was flawed.

He did a pretty good job, but it's still fairly evident that Deaver isn't terribly familiar wit
Dipanjan
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I got introduced to Lincoln Rhyme in the "Bone Collector", I can never get enough of him. In "Broken Window", Lincoln Rhyme returns with a dazzle after his last adventure "Cold Moon" which had a left us in a shock (can't reveal any details).

"The Broken Window" has a formidable villain. This plot is not about Lincoln chasing the evil. Somewhere down the line, it becomes the evil chasing Lincoln and making him squeal from every angle. Lincoln is helpless, truly. This book shines BECAUSE
Kathy McC
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You often hear the old legend that our body is worth $4.50 for parts. Our digital identity is worth far more."
Awesome and frightening! Story of a perpetrator's use of data mining techniques to set up perfect crimes and frame perfect strangers for the crimes. If even half of the plot of this book is a possible reality, we must all "be afraid; be very, very afraid"!
While there is violence in this book related to the crimes committed, the graphic descriptions prevalent in too many crime novels
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it
this was not one of my favorite Deaver books. I had to make a choice to finish it or review some new pre-releases for Amazon so I opted out of finishing this for now anyway.

The subject matter was interesting enough - it is about identity theft by a rapist/murderer who gathers information electronically of a victim and also sets up a potential person to blame for the crime - he commits the crime but plants dna evidence to link the person who potentially will be arrested for the crime. Scary to th
Jeff Dickison
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Lincoln Rhyme mystery dealing with the collection and manipulation of personal data, in this case, to frame people for murder. Lincoln and Amelia resolve the issue and the bad guy dies. But was he the only bad guy, or were the data collectors just as responsible? If anyone ever steals my identity I assume they will return it after a few hours of boredom. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Lincoln Rhyme stories.
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great read, dealing with identity theft.
Steve Sarner
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a really scary and good book - enjoyed its insight on idenitity theft and data
Michelle
Jul 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like it. The beginning was ok but the more I read the more I hated it. I almost didn't finish it but since I have never done that I decided to stick it out. There was so much needless rambling about crap that didn't contribute to the story at all and I just skimmed over most of it. The longer the book went on the more ridiculous the plot became. This will not be going back on my bookshelf.
David
Mar 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: new-in-2019
I thought the confirmation of a killer outside the range of Arthur Rhyme came too early. Most of the rest of the novel was just tracking down the inevitable. But I was interested enough in the inevitable to keep reading.
Margaret
I enjoyed this book. It was not possible to guess who the murderer was and there were interesting twists to the story until the end. It is the first book I have read by this author and I will probably read more now.
Phyllis
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought I had I figured out but I wasn't even close loved it
Melanie
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
The writing is good. But I've been reading this out of sentiment for random authors my dad read when he was alive. Otherwise, I almost never read white male authors. I hate the way they write women, POC, generally the disabled.

I am on mobile and don't care to deconstruct Amelia Sachs but...I will never read this author again. And it's reminded me why I don't read white guys.
The BookChick
Book Description:
Lincoln Rhyme and partner/paramour Amelia Sachs return to face a criminal whose ingenious staging of crimes is enabled by a terrifying access to information....

When Lincoln's estranged cousin Arthur Rhyme is arrested on murder charges, the case is perfect — too perfect. Forensic evidence from Arthur's home is found all over the scene of the crime, and it looks like the fate of Lincoln's relative is sealed.

At the behest of Arthur's wife, Judy, Lincoln grudgingly agrees to inves
Jerry B
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Rather Ho-Hum Entry in Lincoln Rhyme Series...

We're nearly all the way through the complete booklist of Jeffery Deaver, and generally enjoy his writing. He is best known for his forensic investigator Lincoln Rhyme (with sidekick/girlfriend Amelia Sachs) series, made all the more famous by the Bone Collector (the first in the set), made into a movie with Denzel Washington as the leading man.

“Window” is a representative story, and about as formulaic as the rest. A serial killer is knocking off vic
Barbara M
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyme, new-york, lincoln
Its been quite a while since I read a Lincoln Rhyme novel. I've been off reading other books to match various book club and challenge books. I'm really glad this came up in my TBR challenge. I think it might be my favorite Rhymes so far. This is all about identity theft and manipulation. Deaver does an excellent job making the manipulation of information.

Lincoln's cousin, with whom he had a close relationship to his teens but no longer, has been arrested for murder. Throughout the story, we get
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Love it love it love it love it...

Echoing 522.. ;)
The book was one of THE best thrillers I've ever read,the plot getting more ominous with every page.. With the trademark twists of Deaver,this book easily takes place in the list of unputdownable. Pam and the clock maker made the story feel more close to heart,giving the feeling of belonging to a reader who have read the previous books in the series. But you are in for serious disappointment if you are looking for walking-the-grid and forensic w
Idenity Theft leads to murder 8 57 Sep 25, 2013 12:28PM
Jeffery Deaver Fans: Order of books 5 21 Jun 21, 2013 07:02AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Broken Window 1 3 Apr 28, 2012 12:27PM

• Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Killer Heat (Alexandra Cooper, #10)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)
  • Obsession (Alex Delaware, #21)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon #2)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • A Vengeful Longing (Porfiry Petrovich, #2)
  • Dans les bois éternels (Commissaire Adamsberg, #7)
  • Play Dead (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #4)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
“The seat of power in the twenty-first century is information, not oil or geography.” 1 likes
“Remember, people hassle you in all sorts of different ways. Don’t assume they’re right and you’re wrong just because they know something you don’t. The question is: Do you need to know it to do a better job? Then learn it. If not, it’s a distraction and to hell with it.” 0 likes