Start by marking “Little Quack” as Want to Read:
Little Quack

Little Quack (Little Quack)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,216 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Little Quack's brothers and sisters splish, splash, and splosh their way into the pond behind their mama. Will he join his family? Count along and find out in the new Classic Board Book edition of this popular story.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Little Simon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Little Quack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Quack

midnightfaerie
Jul 20, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I believe this is our first Lauren Thompson book, and we loved it. My preschoolers loved the counting lesson included, and my 5 yr old, who is learning to swim, loved the fear of the water part of it. Myself, I absolutely loved the names of the ducks, Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, Puddle, and Little Quack, and couldn't say them often enough. They were just fun to say! The illustrations helped out a great deal, with each little duckling having a very different and distinct look from his siblings, I par ...more
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 Marshall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small ducks
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, and with a little bit of Math.
Jessica
Feb 27, 2017 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute book about overcoming fears.
Paul
Sep 20, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Count the little ones.
Ruby
Feb 11, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counting
Such a cute story about playing hiding seek with the little ones. Little ducklings are hiding and at the same time, their moony is counting them as she finds them. There are 5 of them to start with. In the beginning she counts to ten so that the ducklings will have time to hide. I would love to use this book to teach math concepts.

Extension activity: Choose five little ducklings (children) to go hide. Count to ten and then go out looking for them saying where are my little ducklings?" And as you
Kim Palacios
This review refers to the Spanish language version. This is a great board book with cute illustrations and a useful bottom callout bar that makes the underlying math concepts of the boo more explicit. The plot deals with confidence-building: five ducklings must leave the nest for the first time to learn to swim around with their mother, but they must face their fears and leap out of the next into the water. Cuaquito, implicitly the smallest of his siblings, is the last of the five to take the pl ...more
Erica Nicol
Even though my child loves ducks, I hadn't expected this one to be such a hit. But she has asked for it every day for the last three weeks, and will often take it into a corner and "read" it by herself. The illustrations are lively, the story incorporates counting (and even some addition and subtraction), and the theme - that of overcoming the fear of trying something new - is one that will resonate with both parents and toddlers.

Is it my favorite thing to read over and over (and over) again? N
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This one was fun. My kids loved to hear it, and I enjoyed reading it. I liked making the voices and the splashy sounds.

"No, Mama, no!" ... "We're too scared!"
"You can do it," ... "I know you can." (I omit the he said/she said if the voices or context make it clear. It helps the flow of the story.)

The pictures are vibrant and cute. The body language and facial expressions are expressive, especially Mama and Little Quack's.

I totally omitted the counting. To me this was a lovely story about fami
Elisabeth
Cute. The story is ok. But I find it very clunky and awkward to add in the duckling counting as the book asks the reader to do. I think it either should have been written into the story, or just leave it up to the reader to add it in on their own in their discussions with their children as they read it. It's almost patronizing in a way that the author has to tell me how to point out the numbers of ducklings to my kids. But I just don't like read-aloud storybooks that have other things written on ...more
Marissa Reyes
The works of Little Quack by Lauren Thompson was written with the intentions of teaching children the number system. The author did a great job working with the illustrator to have as many figures in the picture as in the text so if children need to physically count out the figures in the picture to understand the text they have the ability to do so. The book also teaches children in the impressionable stage of childhood not to be afraid of things because parents will always be there to support ...more
jacky
I couldn't tell from this book that there are a whole series of books with this character. All of the ducklings seemed pretty much the same to me, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention as Natalie hounded me for snacks. This was read at preschooler story time today at the library, which we usually don't attend because Natalie is too young to sit still for so many longer books. The story follows five ducklings learning to leave the nest. It is also a little lesson in math, with a "quack ...more
Sabrina Acosta
Little Quack by Lauren Thompson pictures by Derek Anderson

Reading Level: 1.6
Interest level: PreK-K

Shelves: Concept book, picture book, animal, beginning reader, RED 315

This adorable children's book was too hard to put down. The way the pictures matched the text was incredible. I loved that at the bottom of the pages there was a "Quack-u-lator." It helps the children follow along and count how many ducklings got into the pond. I will be using this book soon for my beginning readers.
Drew Graham
Oct 19, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Little Quack and his four duckling siblings are happy in their nest, but when their mother decides it's time to learn to swim, they are hesitant, but one by one paddle their way into the pond.

This book is a combination of a lot of good things -- it's a counting book, it has a lot of character and colorful illustrations, and it's even a story about overcoming fears and growing up a little bit. The Boy (2.5) quite liked it, and enjoyed it as counting practice and just as a fun read-aloud book. (Th
Sydney Gulley
Sep 29, 2016 Sydney Gulley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230-b
The book Little Quack by Lauren Thompson and Derek Anderson is a counting/simple math book about ducks. Mama duck is trying to get her ducklings to jump into the pond and learn how to swim. They are all scared at first but one by one they jump into the pond and conquer their fears. The book counts with the ducks as they jump in and every time one more duck goes into the pond you would add 1 to the amount of ducks that were already in the water. This book also teaches a lesson of encouragement an ...more
Danielle Desmarais
-Very cute story about five ducklings who make their way out onto the water with their mama.
-Uses play-on-words and a fun "quack-u-lator" at the bottom to help count how many ducks are in the water.
-Also has some predictable phrases.
-Illustrations and the exciting story will definately grab children's attention.

-Could be a read-aloud at any grade level. Indivually reading may be harder with quotation marks and such, maybe around 2nd grade.
Theresa
Feb 27, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Quack
by Lauren Thompson
a kindergarten book
used to each the concept of daring to do something, each of little quacks brothers and sisters need to learn to swim, their mother calls them, one by one each duckling follows his mother on to the water, its Little quack who is last, and he is the most energetic of all his siblings.
it has some aspects of counting so good introduction to numbers
Angelina Justice
Sep 24, 2010 Angelina Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my favorites for storytime. I have to find another copy that has the Quackulator. It's awesome. The character, Little Quack, is afraid to jump in the water and swim. One by one, his brothers and sisters make the jump. There is a quackulator at the bottom of each page that shows the subtraction of each duckling and the new total left.

Great story with fun names for each duckling, beautiful illustrations and a fun way to introduce subtraction to a Pre-K crowd.
Jared White
Really, I would give this 2 stars for text and 4 stars for illustrations, if I could. The pictures are great but I and my niece didn't care too much for the text. Even my niece got annoyed with how repetitive it was. I know some kids enjoy repetition, even said niece sometimes likes it but this one just wasn't a fav. You should check out the Mouse's First series, also by Lauren Thompson. The pictures are great and I enjoy the text, too.
Micayla Johnson
Sep 14, 2016 Micayla Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I chose this book because the picture on the front was really cute. It is a book that could be used in a preschool or kindergarten classroom. I read this with my two year old nephew who is learning his numbers and the counter at the bottom of certain pages was very helpful for him. Overall I really liked this book and I think its really good for younger kids. A good activity to do with this book would be to have them count little ducks along with you as its being read.
amy
Mar 04, 2008 amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book? That small children LOVE repetition, night after night, over and over. My 4 year old daughter has requested this book at least once or twice a week for the last 2.5 years at bedtime. And usually more than one reading a night.
"You can do it! I know you can!" said mama duck to her little ducklings.
If I had a dime for every time I found myself saying that to my kid and then wanting to shoot myself because of the source, I'd be a rich woman.
Kristin Palumbo
In Little Quack, the mommy duckling was teaching her ducklings life lessons, by leaving the nest and jumping in the water. At first all of the little ducklings were scared to jump into the water. One by one jumped into the water, the littlest duckling was the last one to jump and was very frightened but then felt brave enough and did it. This book can used as a counting tool for students and help use their math skills.
Meg McGregor
Feb 08, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Lexi loves ducklings, loves learning, and the color yellow so this book is perfect for her.

Little Quack and his siblings are afraid to venture out of the nest into the pond. But with their Mother's gentle encouragement, they all eventually find the courage to take the first step into the big world.

I love the Quack-U-Lator.
Robert
Nov 17, 2010 Robert rated it liked it
A simple book for young children, this book is a good source for teaching dialogue and onomatopoeia. The repetitive use of "quack, quack" is easily understood as the chick. There is dialogue too, which is easily seen with the short text on each page. Projected, this would lend itself well to highlighting the components of this writing structure.
Angela Moorer
Students love Quack and all his stories. In this one, Quack is nervous about getting into the pond with his family. He's afraid of the water and doesnt think he's big enough to jump in like his brothers and sisters. He soon finds courage though and joins everyone else! This is a great story to use in a discussion of families, being the youngest, and overcoming fears.
Kristen
I feel like I'm in the minority here--lots of people love this book. I don't hate it, I just don't really understand the hype. The preschoolers did enjoy helping me count the ducks (although they always wanted to count the mama duck, too), and it's a simple, sweet story. With really adorable illustrations. Just not my favorite.
Jamie
Mama Duck tells Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, Puddle, and Little Quack that it's time to leave the nest. All of the little ducklings are too afraid to jump into the water. One by one, as the author counts the ducks, jump into the water until all ducklings gain the courage to jump into the water. This book teaches its readers to count to along with the ducklings up to five.
Denise Lam
Sep 03, 2014 Denise Lam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I will buy books that rhymes as it provides easy reading and make reading fun but I made an exception for this. I love the little intelligence that was displayed by Little Quack. Good to read it to your kids.
Bree
Mar 23, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a story, counting and math involved. The ducks are growing up so it is time to get into the water. Each page a new duck gets into the water. At the bottom of the page they add up all the ducks in the water. I love when there is more to a story than just some rhyming words.
Kim
Apr 12, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good little counting book with repetition, and I love that each of the ducklings has a unique "look", but it's just a little wordy to 1) flow off the tongue easily 2)hold the attention of children young enough to still struggle with counting to 5.
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • One Duck Stuck
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Gossie
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Mouse Mess