Start by marking “My Autobiography: The World Was My Lobster” as Want to Read:
My Autobiography: The World Was My Lobster

My Autobiography: The World Was My Lobster

This book tells the story of George Cole’s more than 70 years in the acting profession that began with a walk-on part at the age of 14 in the stage musical The White Horse Inn in 1939, and continues today, having included such roles as David Bliss in the radio and television versions of A Life of Bliss, Flash Harry in the St. Trinian’s films, and Arthur Daley in television ...more
Published December 1st 2014 by John Blake

To ask other readers questions about My Autobiography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Autobiography

David Highton
Reads a little like a serial list of his parts, he says he is very private and he does not give much away
John Martin
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this a couple of weeks ago. I have fond memories of Minder, and he provides some insight into that. But I was awed also by the depth of his work over a long period of time
Steve Cann
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading George's memoirs, and it's an absorbing and comprehensive review of his life and long career.
He admits he's a very private person, so there's not so much here about his family life per se - don't bother to read this book if you want to know every detail of his personal trials and tribulations.
He chooses to skip over his first marriage completely, and mentions this from the outset - and this is something that we as a reader can respect, & it certainly didn't m
Sandra Dawson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love Autobiographies and this one didn't disappoint ! I like George coles secrecy in it , and not moaning and groaning all the time ! He was a very happy person ! His mentor was Alistair sim and that explains his perfect acting skills ! He excelled himself in minder ! One of the best tv programmes of all time ! I can recommend this to anyone who loved George Cole , its a book you just cant put down !
Ian
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would have been more accurate to call it a bibliography. This book amounts to an impressive list of roles with dates, venues, cast and directors and offers little insight into his life outside film, theatre and tv. Very few anecdotes about actual experiences on set.
Phil Hodgkiss
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read about the actor behind Arthur Daley
Michelle Fletcher
The will only ever be one Flash Harry for me!

A great trip down memory lane George Cole appeared in many of the old comedies I loved as a child along with the great Alastair Sim, as wells as an appearance in one of my favourite dramas An Inspector Calls and of course the unforgettable Arthur Daley.

George Cole is a private person so this is more about his career films, TV, radio and plays he has appeared in with funny little stories and glimpses in to his private life.
Colin Lawrence
This book is not much of an autobiography; it's more of a walk through all the films, tv and plays that George Cole has appeared in. Very little in the way of personal material and not many anecdotes. I felt a bit cheated to see that there are numerous tables and lists at the end which only reiterate everything that's gone before and seem only to pad out the book. On the plus side there are quite a lot of photographs. Mediocre at best, I'm afraid.
Sue
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
May be of interest to fans of old British movies, I'm a fan, but not quite that much! I didn't get as far as the Minder years. Poor (ghost) writing lets it down.
Ruth Clark
Mar 07, 2016
Andrew
Aug 20, 2018
Kevin
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2016