Start by marking “The Sacred Tradition of Yoga: Philosophy, Ethics, and Practices for a Modern Spiritual Life” as Want to Read:

In today’s complex world, how is it possible to truly live as a yogi? Traditional yoga theory offers fresh, insightful solutions to today’s practical lifestyle concerns, ranging from environmentalism to personal health and wellness. Tuning in to classic yoga philosophy and teachings can bring to light our greatest strengths while showing us how to maintain a healthy body a ...more
Published February 10th 2015 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Tradition of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Tradition of Yoga

Nicole
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. It will be my go to book that I gift to friends. I keep this book by my bedside. I can open it to any page and truly resonate with what is being taught. It is practical and I can apply the teachings to my everyday life. It is also very well written and easy to understand for someone who does not have a great deal of experience with YOGA and is ready to absorb this truly wonderful gift. I do believe it is life transforming and connects you to your source. I am grateful to ...more
Cswestor
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a way in, a door to open and encourage your spiritual growth, this book is written for you. The Sacred Tradition of Yoga, by Dr. Shankaranarayana Jois, will help you develop a deeper understanding of self and soul, encourage you, through a fundamental understanding of the ancient yogic texts and philosophy, to live a more meaningful life, and help guide you through the day to day challenges of life circa 2015. This book has an authenticity that so many books on this subjec ...more
Ashley Merrill
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Sacred Tradition of Yoga is a precious collection of teachings that open the door to the heart. Savor each chapter and read it again and again! Inspiring and practical, it is a valuable resource to lean into on the spiritual path. By illuminating ancient yogic teachings in clear and beautiful prose, Jois points the way to the Truth.
Kristin
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully written, and holds a wealth of truly inspiring, insightful and deeply penetrating teachings on yoga. I can not recommend it enough.
Francisca
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The concept of yoga is complex. In the perspective of a millennial and a primary education student-teacher, yoga is a tradition that encompasses life in its totality in specific, compartmentalised terms. From my understanding, yoga is a tradition that emphasises common-sense values, mindfulness, and the internalisation of what our human organism is within. Dr. Jois takes a remarkable and needed consideration of how the present day obstacles such as materialism and other of the like encourage an ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
It's a perfectly fine book for laying out the principles of yoga (though I have read better), but the "Modern Spiritual Life" part of the title is a complete misnomer. The modern experience was only referenced when it was easily connected, but there was no effort to take a look at the issues of modern life and then detailing how yoga principles could be used to address these concerns, which is what I thought I'd be getting when I purchased this book.
Sandy Dennis
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a yoga teacher and yoga practitioner I keep coming back to this book time and time again. It is an excellent reference book which I use to prepare for retreats, classes and general guidance with students & clients.

It is a heart inspired book; a great introduction for the seeker, and a gem for the mature practitioner. The nuggets of truth lie hidden in the many layers of our consciousness waiting to be revealed upon further inquiry.
I have been studying yoga with Dr. Jois for several years
Laurae
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sacred Tradition of Yoga is a beautifully written book that illustrates a way forward for those of us longing to be in touch with our true nature and live a yogic lifestyle. I have given this book as a gift many times and I recommend it to any and all who are looking for a resource to support their practice.
Devon Evans
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since reading this book, and applying the practical tools that Dr. Jois shares, I have experienced more Balance, Contentment, Peace, and Joy in my day to day life.
Dr. Jois lays out a map, to guide the reader into the inner equanimity of the Heart.
Grateful.
Sarede Switzer
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Given to me by my yoga teacher as it was written by his teacher. Very well written and organized. Great intro book to Yogic philosophy basics. I was impressed with how un-PC much of it was. Also fascinating to compare many aspects to Judaism.
Sonia
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, yoga, 2016
A beautiful explanation of the teachings/philosophy of yoga. I read a little every day after my asana practice so it took a long time to finish the book. This turned out to be a good way to cover the different ideas by letting them sink in. However, these lovely thoughts are so hard to put into use in the modern world and the book does not really give any suggestions on how to do this. Still worth reading and referring back to.
Tobias Roberson
Jonathan and Stacey Fisher
Nov 17, 2018
Sarahndipity
Jul 07, 2015
“It is our duty to use whatever corrective tools and disciplines are available to us to resolve errors that might be compromising our health. In this way, we work to create optimal health in both mind and body to benefit our yoga practice. It is ill advised to use a spiritual goal to bypass what is our duty to correct with human effort. If” 0 likes