Start by marking “Remake (Remake, #1)” as Want to Read:
Remake (Remake, #1)

Remake

(Remake #1)

Nine is the ninth female born in her batch of ten females and ten males. By design, her life in Freedom Province is without complications or consequences. However, such freedom comes with a price. The Prime Maker is determined to keep that price a secret from the new batches of citizens that are born, nurtured, and raised androgynously.

But Nine isn't like every other
Published October 14th 2014 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Remake, please sign up.
Ilima There's a satisfying ending that won't leave you hanging (and could be read as a stand-alone novel), but there are enough unanswered questions that I…moreThere's a satisfying ending that won't leave you hanging (and could be read as a stand-alone novel), but there are enough unanswered questions that I hope will bring readers back for the next installment. It will be three books in all.(less)
Ilima It's a young adult dystopian/science fiction novel.

Start your review of Remake (Remake, #1)
Ilima
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Look, Ma. I wrote a book! #TotallyUnbiasedRating
Haley Mcalister
Jul 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Warning: This book is a thinly veiled hate letter to people who are gay, transgendered, or who in any way fail to fit happily and without question into rigid, primeval gender double-standards.

It paints a picture of a dystopian society of people who get to choose everything about themselves, including gender. Except they can't unchoose things after they're seventeen. For some reason. And as a result, they live in a world of brothels and cage fighting and none of them ever choose love and family,
Kati
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
"Remake" is pretty well written, better than many other YA novels I have picked up. A rating of two stars feels a little harsh, but three stars feels a little too generous.

I thought that the idea of a society where children are raised androgynously is a very interesting concept, and to be perfectly frank I was disappointed with what the author chose to do with it. This book literally contains bible passages which are used to reinforce gender norms. I'm disappointed that this book is just a
Camly Nguyen
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's a romance disguised as a dystopian novel.

In Freedom One, Nine can chose how she wants to look like when she turns seventeen. The only problem now is what exactly does she want to look like? What's the difference between a boy and a girl? How do babies appear? In Freedom One, no one really knows except for the evil Prime Minister/ Dictator.

In the plane, on her way to be Changed, her plane crashes and she is stranded on an Island with a family that gladly helps her out...and then she meets
Ryceejo
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zanna
I can't stop thinking about this book. What a compelling plot line....you can read it at the surface as a dystopian novel and think, Ok, that's a cool story. But there are some serious sub-surface elements.

Freedom One, the "Batch" community that Nine grew up in, is easily a projection of the way our society is headed, socially. (You'll understand as you read it.) With such politically-charged questions like how far does one's agency extend and gender choices, it is impossible to restrain God
Jana Brown
After a lot of pondering I've decided this is not the book for me or for people like me. It's a book you have to engage with on a purely emotional level and go along for the ride of the emotional character arc while ignoring or accepting the limits of the world building and bigger potential plot.

Remake asks a lot of questions that it never really answers and honestly for all that Nine is calling herself brave by the end of the book I don't see it. She rarely, if ever, really makes her own
Kathy
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Remake is beautiful. The words are well written, and Ilima Todd drives a point to the core of difficult subjects with such delicacy and beauty that it looks simple. The world makes sense, and though its told with enough description that I both understand and can picture it, it doesnt bog down the writing. In an overflowing section of dystopian, this world was different enough to stand out in the crowd.

My favorite part about this novel are the characters. Nine, the main character, is realistic
Tonya
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that lingers in your mind long after you finish the last page and lay the book down. The themes of the book are thought-provoking and powerful, but it is the characters which have found their way into my heart and seem to want to stay there. If you want a book that will capture you from page one, weave a descriptive spell, make you fall in love and shed a few tears, Remake will not disappoint. The only drawback is that the book ended. I need more!
Jennifer Jenkins
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a work of bravery. Bravo.
Stacey
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely adored this book. I was instantly drawn into the character's world and voice. Nine is completely believable and 100% genuine in her thoughts and responses to things.

The world Ilima Todd creates is so beautifully creepy and unique I was just in love with it, but I think the juxtaposition of that and how life could be. Wow. It's very powerful. She doesn't shy away from the stickier subjects involved with the society she creates, but in the end it still has a great message. I
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
A very wishy-washy slightly edgy three stars. I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to my thoughts about this book. Stick with me...I'm sure I'll make some sort of conclusion! :D So we have a book that the characters are genderless until they are seventeen and then they get to be remade into whatever they want to be. Think the Giver with a dash of Divergent and the Bible. (Yes, I realize that's a bit of a crazy mixture.) So there is this genderless (for all purposes I'm just going to say ...more
Donna Weaver
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IT'S ABOUT

But Nine isn't like every other batcher. She harbors indecision and worries about her upcoming Remake Day -- her seventeenth birthday, the age when
Frank Chillura
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Check out my blog at www.UtopiaNeverComes.blogspot.com

---

I was really thrown off by how incredible I found this book. Had I known it was so good, I would have picked it up months ago; Another great dystopian book!! Although I tend to dislike books that sneak in Christian undertones, I did like the book as a whole. Could I have lived without the lines about one man and one woman getting married and birthing the next generation... Yes! Did it sour my entire experience... definitely not!

I found a
Kathryn Purdie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best-paced stories I've ever read. Nine's journey of self-discovery is gripping. I especially loved her time on the island with an actual family. Awesome read!
Angie
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a world where the definition of family is anything goes, it was so refreshing to read a book that really explored all the sacred things family gives us - love, acceptance, sacrifice. As a side note I was so worried about the love triangle. In general I hate them and usually end up hating the characters in them, but this love story was awesome. Finally a girl that makes a choice no matter how hard it is.
K.L. Lantz
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've had my eye on this book for quite some time, ever since I first saw it at the local Deseret Bookstore. When I got it for Christmas, I was thrilled!

Gender is a hot-button cultural issue with many psychological and religious, even political, undertones. Thus, I was very impressed to see an author of faith had taken it on. That's brave. People of faith aren't politically popular right now, unless you're the Pope. And wearing it on your sleeve can earn you plenty of condemnation from your
Ana

The concept behind Remake is very interesting. Males and females having their hormones suppressed until the age of 17. It made me wonder if this is how they would turn out. I am still not quite sure because they sounded like perfectly normal teenagers, except they all looked androgynous.

However, I just could not connect to this main character. Like I said, she struck me as a normal teenager with normal reactions, thoughts and doubts, except they were taken
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
**3.5 stars**

This book provoked many different thoughts and questions for me.

Basically, it's a dystopian book where the people of Freedom 1's hormones are repressed until they turn 17. They don't go through a natural maturation process. This allows them the opportunity to be "remade". They can pick their gender, their skin color, teeth color, hair color, every thing a person can imagine about appearance can be altered to personal preference.

Nine is the main character. She is female. Her
Julie Olson
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get an ARC of this book. Lucky me! When it's available to all, I highly suggest picking it up. Fun, yet thoughtful read.

This book fit right in the dystopian genre, however I really liked the imagery and real-world elements of the island life in the middle. It made me feel even more connected to the world she created (maybe that's because I dream of living the island life). Some people may say, "oh this part is like this other book where people get to be made pretty," or "she
Erin
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to me by my good friend, Angie whose friend is the author. I am so glad I read this book. With the traditional family, consisting of a female mother and a male father with children, being challenged in the world today, I love that Ilima Todd has so boldly declared what makes this traditional family and it's relationships so precious. I am not generally a fan of Dystopian/Science Fiction novels. But this one is great! I could totally relate to Nine and her insecurities and her ...more
Christene
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't intending to read this book - YET. It was on my TBR shelf and fell into my hands after a long day when I was hunting for distraction. Ilima had a touchy premise that made me squirm just a little bit, especially with the current climate of questioning the importance of gender in our society.
I started reading and was immediately taken with Nine's story. As it progressed, I enjoyed the perspective Nine could offer, coming from a place of no knowledge of family, community and struggling to
Brittney
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I actually really liked this book which shocked me based on just reading the summary. I thought it would be a lot like every other book I read and I soon found that was not the case. It was a quick read that I was able to finish on a rainy day and it kept me captivated throughout. I loved how you could see the chemistry between Kai and Nine slowly grow throughout the book. I appreciated how their relationship grew in a way that did not make me want to bash my head against a wall. It was also a ...more
Melissa Cunningham
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Truly. And as an author, it's sometimes hard to read a story without critiquing it at the same time. I was totally lost in this story. It takes a lot for me to want to sit all day reading when I have so much to do. It has to be awesome. This book was awesome.

I am now in love with Ilina. I want to bring her home and tuck her into to bed with me and have her tell me stories every night. Since that would be creepy, I'll just get her books. You should too.

This book captivated
Shauna
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-hvh
Much young adult dystopian fiction has a "just be yourself and you can change the world" message. But Remake goes one step further . . . Nine is trying to become her best self, and yet nothing in her culture has taught her what being your best self means. This is a great book club book. Lots of discussion on what it means to be brave, the importance of family, the importance of choices . . . while at the same time being an engaging and adventuresome story. I can't wait for my pre-ordered copy to ...more
Emily Jarrett
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone I know
Recommended to Emily by: Work/Deseret Book
This book is a great read! I would definitely recommend it to family and friends. There are two main themes that I found in this book. One, that Family is more than just people you're related to (whether by marriage or blood); it is defined by the love, work, and sacrifice each person makes to keep each other safe, happy, and well. The second was the importance of a woman's strength. Too often we are defined as the weaker sex; oh, but we are much more than what we seem. Our labor is a true labor ...more
Deborah Lytton
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ilima Todd's REMAKE is the story of Nine's journey to discover who she is and where she truly belongs. She is endearing, intelligent and inspiring. The action is non-stop, but Ilima Todd also manages to give the reader a moment to breathe and take in the scenery, especially when Nine is outside of Freedom (which is my favorite part of the book.) The romance is deep and true, and the message about the importance of family is powerful. I cannot wait for the next book!
Leigh
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal! I absolutely loved this book. I hated having to put it down at night. And now that it's over I just want to keep reading! This is a fantastic new world with a fun new point of view to view things from. I was laughing out loud at parts! I can't wait for what's in store for Nine next. Brilliant book! You won't want to put it down.
Brittany
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing. In the beginning I was a bit sketched out because it almost seemed void of any filter, especially for teenagers. Once I finally got into the book though I couldn't have been more pleased with the story, morals, characters, plot and the spiritual awakening that it gave me. Once again, I loved this book, read it!
David King
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A case can be made here that the dystopian novel has been remade by Remake. Todd has created a chilling post-apocalyptic world where humans are ruled by a false sense of freedom, running parallel to a hidden world where the everyday aspects of society are rediscovered through a convincingly fresh perspective. An engaging and thought-provoking read. I look forward to the next installment.
Kelley Lynn
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The areas Todd explores with the human condition are so well navigated. Family, gender, love, freedom. Perfection. At what cost are some of these things worth?

The world Todd has created is brilliant. You won't be able to put this book down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Love in Disguise
  • Kiss of the Spindle (Steampunk Proper Romance #2)
  • A Guarded Heart
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • The Lady in the Coppergate Tower (Steampunk Proper Romance #3)
  • Check Me Out
  • A Tangled Inheritance
  • Promised
  • Beauty and the Clockwork Beast (Steampunk Proper Romance #1)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • Charlotte's Promise
  • Passage on the Titanic
  • Miss Adeline's Match
  • Backlash (Saint Squad, #4)
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • The Sheriffs of Savage Wells (Savage Wells, #1)
  • The Secret of the India Orchid
  • Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)

Remake (3 books)