Start by marking “Crap Taxidermy” as Want to Read:
Crap Taxidermy

Crap Taxidermy

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  323 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
A humorous look at what happens when taxidermy goes terribly wrong, by the founder of the hit website crappytaxidermy.com.

A relaxed toad enjoying a smoke and a brew. A cat with eerily flexible front legs. A smiling lion with receding gums. Whether you choose to laugh or cringe at these spectacularly bad attempts at taxidermy, you won't be able to tear your eyes away from t
Published September 9th 2014 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Crap Taxidermy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crap Taxidermy

karen
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
hey, baby!

i requested this late last night on netgalley, in great delight and "must read this! fever, and then completely forgot about it until i went on there today for a totally different reason. such a great "oh, yeah!" surprise when i got home.

this is another one of those books-of-blogs, and it is fantastic. creepy taxidermy fascinates me, and i never knew what a "thing" it was until i read jenny lawson's book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, and started peeking at h
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kelly (and the Book Boar) by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitchell was so excited he had to put on a party hat.

(Could my head look any bigger? Christ on a cracker!)

How should I begin this review???????

Should I tell you how many blog-to-books I’ve read in the past year? (Answer: Infinity)

Should I tell you that I am one of the rabid followers of all things relating to The Bloggess and on one fateful day while perusing my local thrift shop my life was chan
Michelle Morrell
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is everything that is promised. It's taxidermy, and it's crap. It's short, it's visual, it's the perfect thing to thrust at a guest and watch them laugh and laugh before they even crack it open.

Thank you, internet, for letting me know this exists. Thank you, King County Library System for actually owning it and allowing me to borrow it.
Emma Sea
Oct 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Although the blog has, from time to time, left me unable to speak from laughing, put all those bad taxidermic animals together in one place to read in a sit-down session and all I felt was sorrow. It suddenly seemed like some terrible lack in our species that we do this to other animals.

Seeing them on the flat matt page, instead of glossy pixels on a screen accompanied by witty comments, a wave of self-hatred surged over me :(

Morris
Five full stars for the amount of laughs the book has already provided. I imagine many more as it's revisited in the future.
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Funny, disturbing, instructive, hilarious, dead.

Just a quickie, this is a pretty funny little book.

Mostly pictures, all of them hilarious, it's the kind of book you'd open up and show everyone so you could have a good laugh. I certainly giggle-snorted my way through it.

The chapter explaining how to taxidermy your own mouse was particularly fascinating, but I don't think I'll be giving it a go myself!

Fun for the fifteen minutes it takes to read it.

I received a copy of this for free via N
Yodamom
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hahahahahaha
4 stars ?!??!?! How can that be ? Well, It was gross and laugh out slobbering loud funny. I had to get it the title sold the book. The pictures say so much, they tell of people who should not be allowed to taxidermy anything ever again. Perhaps they had vision issues ? It was fun I went through the book laughing and showing some of the shots to my friends who laughed along with me. A great and disturbing coffee table book. It will get your guests talking.
Debbie
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: net-galley
Received via NetGalley and Ten Speed Press in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Crap Taxidermy makes the promise of an entertaining and comedic read concerning distasteful and terribly positioned taxidermist “art”. The author starts off by explaining that taxidermy can come in two speeds: well done, and crap – you can guess which the book focuses on. Regardless of the author’s note that the book does not mean to be disrespectful, but rather shine a humorous light on the strange and un
Anna Kļaviņa
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Probably not everyone's cuppa but those who liked Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong, Awkward Family Photos etc most likely will like this book too.

I don't know if some those crap taxidermies are only taxidermists’ faults as some of them might be result of neglect or lack of care. It looks like some examples of crapy taxidermy provided in this book are in museums. :/

1. It's In The Eyes
2. Dynamic Poses
3. Grin & Bear It
4. Improving On Nature
5. Strange Anatomy
6. Anthro
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I was awarded this truly funny, funny, book from NetGalley.

Hilarious!! I laughed page after page, then made my husband read it & we laughed together.

This is filled with photo after photo of some very strange taxidermy, what a collection!

Kat, I think your mom should be proud, even if it is not quite the book she thought you would publish!
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it

My dog is terrified of this book. He’s already nervous about getting older, but the arrival of CRAP TAXIDERMY and the movement of me pulling out the rubber gloves did nothing to cure his anxiety. Don’t worry, Buddy, I’m after that mouse in the house.

Thanks to Kat Su’s book, I now have the inspiration AND the know-how to create my own demon-possessed-looking stuffings. If you’ve been to the site Crappy Taxidermy, you’ll get the idea of what to expect: only this time, you’ll have the step-by-step
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Weird and wonderful and the sort of thing to occupy a few minutes or start a conversation during a quiet moment. Curious and terrifying.
Glire
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Divertido e inquietante al mismo tiempo.

Nunca me ha gustado la taxidermia, me parece cruel de cierta forma. Pero las taxidermias mostradas en este libro son de otro nivel. Tan extrañamente bizarras que no pude evitar reírme con algunas, y preocuparme por la salud mental de los taxidermistas en otras.

A continuación algunos de los ejemplos más resaltantes... y perturbadores:

description

Y por supuesto el wolpertinger.

description

Si quedaste con ganas de más luego de esos ejemplos, en crappytaxidermy.com hay miles de fotos
Lindsey Lewis
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of Crap Taxidermy from NetGalley. The review below is entirely of my own opinion. This is an abbreviated version of the review that appears on my blog, Mediatron.

Kat Su's Twitter Crap Taxidermy is an often hilarious, sometimes creepy, and always weird glimpse into the world of stuffing dead animals. I was very excited to get an ARC of the book, but when I opened it I was disappointed - where was the dry, rib-cracking commentary that makes the photos entertaining
Bonnie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
I cannot remember where I read a glowing review of this book - maybe "Mad" magazine. Expected humorous and/or creative products of taxidermy. Instead, most of the examples in the book were images snapped of old, badly taxidermed critters found in foreign countries. Most looked like road kill with googly eyes glued to their heads.
Andréa
Not only does Kat Su provide an interesting and humorous -- or depressing, depending on your view of the world -- array of crazy taxidermy, but she also includes step-by-step instructions for stuffing a mouse on your own. Not something I'd want to do, but a nice addition for a book on taxidermy!

Note: I received a digital galley of this book through NetGalley.
Erin
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erin by: karen
Shelves: arc-review, humor
ARC for review.

C'mon, guys. You had me at the title and the cover photo.

Well, as advertised, both crap and taxidermy. The rodent/Human centipede may have scarred me for life. Includes a very helpful how-to section so you can do it yourself! Please, please, please let someone do that and film the attempt.
Melanie Surani
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Makes me want to do my own taxidermy -- luckily, there's a tutorial in the back!
Some of the pictures in this book are hilarious, some made me want to cry (the baby penguin???). It's like some of these people had no idea how a real animal was supposed to look. Entertaining to say the least.
Annelies
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic
This is an excellent gift for all your wacky friends, although, maybe not if they're really into Winnie the Pooh. It also includes a helpful DIY section. I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I encounter something dead....
Amber
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Meh, nothing new here. I expected more than I had already seen on the Interwebs. Upside: I didn't know how to stuff a mouse. Now, I do!
M.E.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

The pictures that fill most of the book often made me laugh.

There’s a section with step by step instructions on performing taxidermy on a mouse. It would have been much better if the author had included a picture of her own project.

Overall it was an entertaining book and now I want to go buy a few feeder mice and some borax to try out the instructions at the end.
Jessica Mailhot
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, especially the captions. Too bad the image quality can't be better, but I know they're pulled from all over. Make sure you have the right sense of humor; as someone who works in a natural history museum, it tickled me...other folks maybe not so much.
Jane
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, quirky
I'm told I have an odd sense of humour and that my love of bad taxidermy confirms this. This book cracks me up. The poor sods inside of it deserve a decent burial but it never fails to cheer me up.
Melissa
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Silly funny gift book
Tom
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is what it says: really crappy taxidermy. The book was compiled by a website featuring Crap Taxidermy. (crappytaxidermy.com)
Julius McCarter
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Kat Su's Crap Taxidermy is, undoubtedly, an odd book for me to read, much less review. It seems out-of-character in so many ways, particularly for a blog devoted to cultural criticism, theology, ethics and biblical interpretation.

So, indulge me a bit of explanation. I first encountered the tumblr, "Crap Taxidermy", through my wife and her twitter feed. I was intrigued. But I was also simultaneously repulsed.

The book, which is an extension of Kat Su's tumblr page, grows out of her own fascinati
Marjolein
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

While browsing Netgalley (I know I shouldn't do that) I came across Crap Taxidermy and I was immediately sold. I'm never too fond of stuffed animals myself, but when I saw that weird fox on the cover, I just knew I had to read this.

I laughed out loud! Some of these 'creatures' (I don't have a better word for i
Sharon Mccumber
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
  Honestly I’m not sure what made me pick this book, maybe I wanted a change of scenery but I got some great laughs.
After ordering books I usually do some searching to check out the author and see if I can get some sort of back story. I found out that the author actually started on tumblr collecting and sharing pictures of horrible taxidermy.
  This was such a fun, little, photo book! Full of images of taxidermy gone wrong, you can’t help but laugh at most of them, and shake her head at a few. Th
Lauren
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Look what I got as a Read-Now on Netgalley!

I've never been too interested in good, ordinary taxidermy- probably because where I live, almost everyone has a few deer heads in the living room. (I have a friend with 17 deer heads. Just let that sink in.) Yawn. I'm also a bit squeamish when it comes to scooping out the innards of animals, so add the been-there-done-that vibe and the ick factor, and taxidermy just isn't for me.

Well, good taxidermy isn't. I love the horribly bad, weird, off-the-wall,
Lulu // RoadsideReader
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun, little, photo book! Full of images of taxidermy gone wrong, you can't help but laugh at most of them, and shake her head at a few. The very first image you see is of an overly excited fox that looks like he recently stepped out of a tumblr meme, followed by an equally cheerful lioness who looks happy to show you her vast martial arts movie collection. What's really great is that it doesn't focus solely on the tragic looking mounts that must have been created by either the bl ...more
  • Review of My Cat
  • A History of Weapons: Crossbows, Caltrops, Catapults & Lots of Other Things that Can Seriously Mess You Up
  • My Milk Toof: The Adventures of ickle and Lardee
  • WTF, Evolution?!: A Theory of Unintelligible Design
  • How to Survive a Sharknado and Other Unnatural Disasters: Fight Back When Monsters and Mother Nature Attack
  • 100 Facts about Pandas

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks