Start by marking “Heads Up Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Heads Up Philosophy

Heads Up Philosophy

(Heads Up)

The second installment in DK's new Heads Up series, Heads Up Philosophy addresses the issues and theories that are most intriguing and relevant to the curious minds of teens — making a difficult topic easier to comprehend. Questions such as "What is knowledge?" "What is reality?" "What is the mind?" and "What's right and wrong?" are all addressed, offering big ideas, ...more
Published October 20th 2014 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heads Up Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heads Up Philosophy

Start your review of Heads Up Philosophy
Tom Donaghey
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, philosophy
Where was HEADS UP PHILOSOPHY when I was in school? This book would have saved me valuable time and the expense of the money I laid down for the college credit hours, not to mention the highly over priced book I had to buy. Now for $15.99 I can get everything I wanted to know about Philosophy but was afraid to ask, mainly because I could barely wrap my mind around the question let alone pull out the nugget of truth from what my professor (a very tenured and opinionated person who prized the ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've been generally interested in philosophy for a while, but it isn't something I have put much time into learning about, so I figured starting with some introductory books would be my best option. While this did have some of the information I was hoping to learn, it was definitely a mixed bag overall.

The chapters are broken up by the school of philosophy they covered, which I thought was quite sensible, as it allowed for the grouping of similar ideas. The information was explained in simple
Cheryl
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
If this book had not been sent to me for a chance to review than I never would have purchased a copy myself. I have not been that interested or given much thought on the topic of this book "Philosophy". However after reading this book, I have a better understanding of just how important philosophy plays a role in our lives. Having no knowledge of this topic I thought this book was very well written. It was written with lots of great facts and information. Yet at a level that someone like me can ...more
Whitney
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is part of a fantastic series of books that simply explain difficult concepts. Lots of excellent graphics and very appealing layouts. Felt a little repetitive in places, but I think that's just the philosophy subject. This book, and the others in the series, are ones that I would love to have in the classroom. Interesting enough to be picked up, and well written and designed enough to hold the attention of a variety of readers.

An advanced readers copy was provided by the publisher for an
Christina Gallup
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a first reads giveaway. I absolutely loved it! Really got me thinking deeper than I ever have before. I would recommend this to everyone, whether or not you think you like philosophy or not you will after this!
Olle Lindeborg
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Läst i svensk översättning.
Zaira
Jul 21, 2016 added it
'Cuando hablaba de filosofía con los principales de Atenas, se daba cuenta de que estos creían saber mucho, así que él era más sabio que los demás por ser consciente de los límites de su conocimiento.' - Sobre Sócrates.

'Platón afirmaba que hombres y mujeres tienen la misma capacidad intelectual y deben recibir la misma educación.'

'No elegimos existir, nacemos en un mundo en el que estamos obligados a vivir, pero, una vez alcanzada la conciencia de nuestra existencia, debemos crear nuestro propio
Timothy McNeil
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free Advanced Readers Copy via the Goodreads First Reads program. Review to follow soon.

[Rough Draft & notes for Review]

There is much to like in DK's Heads Up: Philosophy . For the most part, it does a serviceable job in covering some of the more accessible points of philosophy. I also appreciated that it gave a place of prominence to moral philosophy (my favorite), though I am not sure that team did a fantastic job of making clear, concise, and accurate points.

Early on (p. 6
Breanna
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won a "first-reads" ARC copy of this book. This review wasn't paid for and is my own views and opinions, and nobody else. Thanks.

I originally entered to win this book because I thought it looked really cool and interesting, who doesn't want to learn more about their mind and their actions?
I was surprised and happy to have won and obtained a copy, and I haven't looked through all of the book yet, just browsed through it, but I'm rating it 5 stars for being both interesting, and insightful.

I
Septia Kholimatussa'diah
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sesuai judulnya, buku ini berisi narasi dan eksposisi terkait filosofi; mulai dari sejarah, filsuf dunia dari masa ke masa, penalaran, realitas, pikiran, relativitas, hingga peran agama, sains, dan teknologi dalam pembentukan peradaban dan eksistensi manusia; didesain dalam bentuk pertanyaan dan jawaban sederhana.

What makes you you? What is real? Is your mind separate from your body? Adalah beberapa contoh subbab dalam buku setebal 150an halaman ini. Cocok dibaca santai sambil makan kacang
Annie
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I have never seen a philosophy book for kids before, so in that respect, this book is very unique. Even then, it's meant for high school-age students. Although I am not sure a high school student would pick this up on their own for pleasure reading, the book does pose some great questions for discussion that could be used in a history classroom. Teachers could use sections of this--especially the entire section called "Right and Wrong" that features topics such as justice, freedom, and ...more
Dani
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway. I never really thought too much about philosophy and the role it plays in life. Not knowing much about the subject, I found this book well written and easy to understand. I liked how each "chapter" or question posed was concise and informative and fit into a couple of pages so it wasn't an overwhelming read. I also liked the layout of the book and its graphics. Kept the read entertaining.
Kimberly
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
DK Eyewitness' Heads Up Philosophy is a short, very basic primer for teens and older who wish to learn a little something about philosophy. Basic tenets are explained in a simplistic, repetitive manner with a number of visuals, drawings, short texts and other alternative forms of explanation. While this makes the book very visually appealing, it also breaks up the text to a point that I found distracting. A nice directory of philosophers and a glossary of common terminology are also included.
Debby
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who are interested in Philosophy
I like how the book separates philosophy into five big chapters: Knowledge, Reality, Mind, Reasoning, and Right & Wrong; which makes it easier to understand. In addition, this book also gives several good examples on how to apply philosophy in our daily life. However, I do not like the design of the book. It looks visually appealing –I have to admit that–, but the layout design somehow distracts me. There is too much going on in every pages.
SevieReads
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Received an ARC for this from Goodreads. Classroom teacher... lots of my students enjoy non-fiction -- this is a great book for those students. It isn't an easy or a fast book to read. There are big ideas, and ideas that challenge their way of teaching. I've had three students read this and all said it was very interesting -- and a little overwhelming.
Kim
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thanks, DK! I received this book as a free give away through Goodreads First Reads.

It is very interesting. It has great pictures with information that I am sure all of have thought about from time to time. It covers a lot - yes, it does repeat itself a bit. However, I believe it does to make a point with another point.
Kit
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this in a Goodreads First reads giveaway
I really like this book. I didn't know a lot about philosophy before reading this but I learned a lot. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone interested in philosophy or how it impacts/influences our lives. The pictures in the book are interesting and make more enjoyable reading. Definitely give this book a try.
Molly
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. It explains the ideas and methods behind philosophy in a very simple way. This is a quick read and really makes philosophy easy to understand. It contains plenty of information on the subject and the layout and graphics are appealing and quite different than a textbook. It makes it much easier to read.
David Wu
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a bird's eye view of philosophy in simple terms
I flat out loved this book. It gave me a perfect and broad introduction into philosophy - all the major concepts and philosophers - in simple ENGLISH.
PWRL
Apr 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
SM
Jeff
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot from this read, it was very informative and innovative. I passed it on to my troubled sibling and I think it will help a lot. Great book.
Jasmine
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway. Great book! Explains complex philosophical ideas in a simple way that is easy to grasp! Great for younger readers, as well.
Leonora
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I received this book free in a goodreads First Reads giveaway.
I like it a lot. It covers a variety of philosophic topics in an interesting way. :)
Vi
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
HM. Visually n ice layout, might encourage a teen to read it. Overall good short and sweet.
Connie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
FTC disclosure: I received this book free from Goodreads hoping I would review it.
Loveliest Evaris
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty solid book on various Western philosophies, including some pretty graphic art of various famous thinkers.
K.
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Program and think that it interesting. I would recommend it to everyone.
Keely

• Prvok, Šampón, Tečka a Karel
  • رسائل غسان كنفاني إلى غادة السمان
  • FUTU.RE
  • Love Is a Dog from Hell
  • The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else
  • Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
  • No Exit
  • The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance
  • Le Fils De L'ours Père
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • J'ai tué
  • Ghost of Chance
  • Civilized Man's Eight Deadly Sins
  • Vägen till maxade betyg : mer fritid och kunskap för livet
Marcus Weeks é colaborador frequente de enciclopédias e livros de referência, atuando também como consultor de vários títulos da editora britânica Dorling Kindersley. É autor de diversos livros, como Se liga na filosofia e O livro da psicologia.

Possui uma vasta lista de talentos e interesses. Quando não está escrevendo, é professor de música, dá aulas de inglês para estrangeiros, administra uma

Heads Up (4 books)