Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “47 Ronin” as Want to Read:
47 Ronin
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

47 Ronin

by
3.92  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
ONIX Description
125757
From ancient Japan's most enduring tale, the epic 3D fantasy-adventure 47 Ronin is born. Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of the 47 Ronin. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warri
...more
Paperback, 446 pages
Published November 26th 2013 by Tor Books (first published October 30th 2012)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about 47 Ronin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 47 Ronin

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Christina
The book is a novelization of a screenplay for the movie. Normally, that would not have intrigued me - especially since the movie got such bad reviews - but the story seemed so interesting I wanted to give it a go.
It is the story of 47 leaderless samurai (Ronin), who vow to seek vengeance and restore honor to their people. Apparently, this is based on a true story that took place in Japan circa 1680.

This book took me forever to read..not sure why. I liked the writing style and the story kept my
...more
Aleph
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am incercat sa fac abstractie de faptul ca este dezvoltarea unui scenariu de film, si am notat-o cu trei stele. Cartea si filmul sunt identice ca actiune si, cu exceptia a doua, cel mult trei scene mai minutios realizate, romanul este compus din divagatii, de o autenticitate si intindere discutabile, despre universul traditional, moral si mitic in care evolueaza personajele. Cred ca este suficient sa vedeti filmul.
Гери
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Признавам си не бях си взимала досега книга, писана по филма, класическият вариант е обратен, но поне вече разбрах, че и по този начин книгата, макар напълно по филма, може да го превъзхожда. Е, разбира се, бях една от първите отишли да видят новата адаптация на легендата и в кината. Не след дълго като ми попадна в ръчичките книгата се насладих на макс, като всеки самоуважаващ се фен на японските митове и легенди.
Очаквано, но жителите в страната на изгряващото слънце заклеймиха филма подобно на
...more
Steven
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Despite its flaws, it was a good tale and moving. I am not a fantasy fan, but there was not an overwhelming amount. This was the classic tale of the 47 ronin with a half breed, a witch, and demons added to the conflict. The love story was touching at times, and the character development interesting. Overall, very good.
Linda
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie 47 Ronin is coming out on Christmas Day. The trailer looks very interesting. I see the paperback novelization in the store and think "Why not? Maybe this will help me decide."

It did. I'm going and probably on Christmas Day.

First of all, the trailer promised super special effects. The book, since it is based on the movie, shows us what those will be. A couple of them will be fantastic monsters which usually clinches a show for me, ever since Aliens came out.

But, amazingly, the story is
...more
Петър Атанасов
Ако не обичате да ходите на кино, книгата е добър избор – ще ви покаже същото, но не в няколко-D, а в 430 страници. Ако филмът толкова много ви хареса, че започнете да четете японска история само заради него, то книгата отново ще ви влезе в употреба – ще ви помогне да възприемете сюжета и героите му в по-голяма дълбочина. Имайте предвид обаче, че 430 страници са си множко за такъв сюжет и това се изразява в твърде дълги и на моменти излишни описания.

Цялото ревю на http://scifi.bg/?p=21559
Agnitio Lector
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant new take on the story and legacy of the 47 Ronin. I'm very familiar with the actual events the 47 Ronin partook in. This new story takes the heart of the story and adds new dimensions to it. It's a fascinating to read as the story unfolds.
Mike
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Stopped halfway, which I never do. All the characters were incredibly stereotypical and the story was totally predictable. This could be the one time where the movie is better than the book
Kenneth
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow! Beautifully narrated. It will be interesting to see if the movie will do the book justice.
Neil
This novelization was better than I thought it would be. Not only is it based on a movie, but it is apparently based on a historical event [with fantasy elements woven into the story]. It moved at a fast pace; at four hundred thirtysome pages, I finished it much sooner than I anticipated [which was okay with me; it was starting to reach the point when I was wondering how much longer before it was over]. Never having seen the movie, I cannot assess how well it "translates" the movie into written ...more
Diana
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
După ce un războinic trădător își ucide mai-marele, 47 de samurai fără stăpân jură să se răzbune și să îndrepte dezonoarea abătută asupra neamului lor.
Roninii străbat o lume sălbatică populată de creaturi mitice și ființe de legendă pentru restabilirea onoarei.
Până în ziua de astăzi, mii de oameni din întreaga Japonie se adună pentru a aduce un omagiu celor 47 de ronini și exemplului lor de curaj, loialitate și onoare.

"Există un loc dincolo de viață și de moarte
Unde cerul este senin și râuril
...more
John
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprised myself by liking it a lot. I have an on again, off again relationship with this author as some books I cannot put down and others of the same world I am bored off my tits. Not sure if me & mood or the book really is boring.
If Joan can make me like feudal Japan then it is time to attempt more of her work, especially ones I put down.
Katherine Diduch
Adaptation from the film. It gave quite a bit of background and detail that was not present in the film.
Evgeni Stefanov
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad overall.Slow start, but it gets better from the middle.
Good!
Vampka
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a huge, huge surprise. I finished it in less than two days. (This might contains spoilers.)

I saw the movie years ago, and despite the not so positive reviews and critics, I liked the movie but it wasn't the best I've ever seen, that's true. But this book? Damn. This is seriously the best book-from-movie book I've ever read, and I read some. I go even further: it's not just a reversed adaptation, no, this book is great as it is. You can forget the movie and the screenplay and everything.
...more
Anna
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
"I will search for you through a thousand worlds and ten thousand lifetimes until I find you."

Wow. First thing to mention is, that I hate how long it took me to read this book! I should never again start reading a book during exams, because at times it was so hard not to reach for it and read something I needed to read for school.

Well... this was such an amazing book! I've always been kind of mesmerized by Japan and the different culture, traditions and history and all of those elements meet in
...more
Sheldon Wiebe
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't seen the movie (everyone I know who's seen it either loved it or loathed it), but when Joan D. Vinge adapts a movie, you can count on it being a good read.

Such is the case here.

47 Ronin is based on a historical event in which a Japanese lord was shamed by a wily, but cowardly favorite of the Shogun manipulated him into a situation that required he commit seppuku.

A group of his men, all samurai, vowed to extract vengeance on that lord and restore justice for their late lord's honor - de
...more
James
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't quite give it a 4 but anyone who actually enjoyed this novel should see the film "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise. I don't make this recommendation lightly as this may be the best Tom movie ever made and work with the Katana and Bokken has been marvelously choreographed. The novel 47 Ronin is based on fact although everything between the first a last few pages is mostly fantasy. That is always a problem when Hollywood gets its dirty fingers on history. I did enjoy the use of Bushido ...more
Ali
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, i-own, 2014
I picked this book up at Publix while we were at Florida and finished it during our stay there. I knew absolutely nothing going in as I hadn't seen the movie, only the trailer. However, as soon as I started reading my reaction was "holy cow I can't pronounce any of these names" so my friend and I rented the movie and watched.

The ending was not what I was expecting.

I know the entire movie/book led you up to it but I still didn't expect it.

Now, I enjoyed the movie but the book... I loved it. In
...more
Lidia
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. There is everything that you will want from a fantazy - thrill, love, adventure, sacrifice. The book describes the Japon's culture really well, exspecially the one of samurais. I have learned a lot about their ways, their believes and all about their courage.

I will definetely watch the movie to see if what I have read, it's the same as the book. Because this is a book based on the movie. Usually it's the opposite. Thhe book has a great quality, well-written, well-descr
...more
Island
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book even much more if I hadn't seen the movie first. It's not just a screenplay adapted to novel, but a novel in its own right. Not just well-written but also faithfully conveys both the style and the dynamics of movie giving some additional depth to the characters and their motivation. It lacks a little bit only in the regard of descriptions since they can not give you the same experience as the breathtaking special effects (and especially those vibrant colors ...more
Pat
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not usually a fan of screenplay to novel adaptations, under the deft hand of "one of the reigning queens of science fiction", Joan D. Vinge, this one works. 47 Ronin, a tale of chivalry and romance, is set in Shogun Japan at the turn of the 18th century. There is a careful blending of history and the supernatural reminiscent of the English Arthur and the Round Table; as Arthur is to England the 47 Ronin is to Japan. I will admit that I have not seen the movie, yet, but as an extension of i ...more
Cliff Winnig
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joan D. Vinge turns her brilliant world-building skills and gift for nuanced characterization to a mythical version of Tokugawa Japan. Although billed as a novelization of the movie, this book is so much more. It gives the reader lots of extra scenes with really interesting details. Without skimping on the action, Vinge adds subtle character details and interactions. If you saw the movie and want to know more about this world, this book will give you that. If you haven't seen the movie, the nove ...more
Amber
I greatly enjoyed this book adaption of the movie 47 Ronin. The writing style perfectly complimented the period setting and plot.

You really get more insight into the characters and into Kai's frustration at his social standing here in this book.

Some events are different here then in the book. It wasn't good or bad to me just mildly interesting at best.

I tend to be very suspicious of book adaptions based off of movies but this was really well done and a great book to read for fans of Japanese the
...more
Swetalina Chowdhury
Its an aweeeeeeeosooooome book. i was double minded buying this book since it was the novelized version of the movie but it was worth every single penny. since the day i have started reading it i can't keep it down. when i read it , i can easily imagine the samurai era, the passionate love between Kai and Mika Hime.. i didn't know much about 47 ronin before. but this book is has definitely kept me hooked in.
its an ideal combination of fantasy, magic, demon, love and the SAMURAIs..

a 100% must re
...more
Wendy Allen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant companion to the feature film of the same title. Joan D. Vinge paints a beautiful written landscape. Quite a few typo's and missed words - felt as if the book was written in haste. Although, exquisitely spoken and quick paced. Quite a remarkable read, I cried at various parts of the story.

If you dug 47 Ronin - you will love the companion book. It goes inside the mind of the Samurai. I LOVE IT!
Joan
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am of the opinion that although the movie had failed at conveying the story of the forty-seven ronin, the novel had somewhat made up for it. Enjoyed reading it, enjoyed the character-build up and the progression of the story. If there was anything to point out, it might be that I didn't find the villain(s) as threatening as I would have liked but all the same, the danger and conflict did not lessen or was not cheapened because of it.
Lois
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, adult
This is the first that I encountered, a book based on a movie. Usually it is the other way around. But, this Is different.

I haven't seen the movie, 47 Ronin, maybe that is the reason why I bought the book. My boyfriend said the movie wasn't good. But from what I read, my opinion might be different.

What I read is very interesting. I enjoyed reading it. It reminded me of Ruruonin Kenshin/Samurai X, and all the other Samurai animes that I've watched before.
Rebecca Knight
Loved it! Great book, great novelization of the movie, and way better than the movie. The author goes in to detail with cultural details about the warrior society that blaze by in the movie. Especially the scene on the Dutch island, that is well done and put into historical context. Also, she goes in to depth about the mythological creatures, beliefs, and witchy things that happen in the movie. Good writing, her magical take on it all makes for a fast, fun read.
M Grant
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
Well written adaptation of the movie, the author didn't phone this one in with a rehash of the plot, she delves into the story and characters and history of post-Feudal Japan as it adapts to Western influence and the end of Bushido in a well thought out, well written manner. Honestly, I am sorry this was a movie first, this book was really good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Aces Wild (Sin City Collectors, #1)
  • Neon (The Galaxy Guard Archives, #1)
  • The Blood of the Dragon
  • Blood Riders
  • Imaginary Friends
  • In Search of Lost Dragons
  • In the Field Marshal's Shadow: Stories from the Powder Mage Universe
  • Killer In The Pool
  • Prince of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 4 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #4)
  • The Desert and the Blade (Emberverse, #12)
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume Two
  • Black Swan, White Raven
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless
  • The Princess and the Outlaw
32279
Joan D. Vinge (born Joan Carol Dennison) is an American science fiction author. She is known for such works as her Hugo Award-winning novel The Snow Queen and its sequels, her series about the telepath named Cat, and her Heaven's Chronicles books.
More about Joan D. Vinge...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99

No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »

“Nos, én azt vallom, hogy akár táncolunk, akár nem, bohócok vagyunk, úgyhogy ezzel az erővel akár táncolhatunk is.” 1 likes
“A szépsége még mindig ugyanúgy lenyűgözte Kait, mint fiúkorában, bár nem a ruhái élénk színe, és ne is gyönyörű finoman metszett arca ejtette rabul a szívét, olyan szerelmet ébresztve benne, amely aztán évekig életben tartotta őt - hanem az, amit azonnal meglátott a szemében, amikor először találkozott a tekintetük: hogy egy öreg lélek felismer egy másikat.” 1 likes
More quotes…