Start by marking “Inda (Inda, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inda (Inda, #1)

Inda (Inda #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  3,767 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Indevan Algara-Vayir was born the second son of a powerful prince, destined to stay at home and defend his family's castle. But when war threatens, Inda is sent to the Royal Academy where he learns the art of war and finds that danger and intrigue don't only come from outside the kingdom.
Published August 1st 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Inda, please sign up.
Loryn the main character, Inda is a boy, but the book is peppered with at least four different female Pov.
Elena I've read both series, and I couldn't even figure out how the two were connected. (Admittedly, I read them several years apart.) So no, you definitely…moreI've read both series, and I couldn't even figure out how the two were connected. (Admittedly, I read them several years apart.) So no, you definitely don't have to read Crown Duel first.(less)

Mayim de Vries
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Power begets politics, and politics are more dangerous than war because there are fewer rules.”

May I present you one of the best hidden gems under the radar of Goodreads hype I have ever discovered? Inda brings the best of traditional high fantasy: the best tropes and arcs reworked in a very imaginative way, magnificent world-building and several fresh ideas that some contemporary celebrated authors pretend to have just discovered themselves. I offer you this review with my most sincere recomm
Scott  Hitchcock
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans
Recommended to Scott by: Bill
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Book one of this series was unexpectedly a coming of age story. It's very hard to do this genre well at this point for me having read so much within it. I think the reason why I liked it so much was there wasn't the over the top, smothering, oppressive.............angst which dominates these stories ubiquitously in today's literature.

The second thing which made the book for me was that it was character driven. You got point and counterpoint instantly in the author's style. At first this style w
Mpauli
I'm too tired to write a proper review at the moment, but this was a brilliant book with an amount of complexity I really appreciated. A great main character and very well written prose make that an easy 5 star rating.
John
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have to say up-front that I found two things about this book off-putting. First and foremost, Smith uses a third-person omniscient voice; I think it's fair to say that this POV is rarely used today, and there's a good reason for that. We get plenty of third person limited omniscient in which the point of view shifts between various characters but only changes perspective from one scene to another. I found Smith's jumping around mid-scene to be, at times, hard to follow.

Likewise hard to follow,
Olivia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm giving Inda five stars despite a few minor complaints, simply because the ending made me well up. I'll definitely continue with this series. There's a total of four books.

Let's get the minor complaints out of the way first.

Most characters have an official name and a nickname plus a honorific. The honorific is different depending on which language the characters use, which means there's at least four different ways a character can be referred to. It took me a long time to be able to keep ever
Tammie
Indevan-Dal is the second son of the Prince and Princess of Choraed Elgaer, destined to become his elder brother Tanrid's Shield Arm-his military champion. Like all second sons, he is to be privately trained at home by Tanrid, the brother whose lands he will one day protect.

When the King's Voice comes to summon Inda to the Military Academy, he might well feel foreboding, or even fear-war is imminent-yet youthful Inda feels only excitement. But there are things that Tanrid hadn't prepared him fo
Michael
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who read very quickly
Recommended to Michael by: Grabbed it off the shelf
The first thing I have to say about this novel is that it is very much the first in a series. Absolutely nothing was resolved in the end. Nothing at all. In fact, there wasn't much of a story either, which is quite a challenge for over 500 pages.

Here's the rub: I still want to read the next one in the series. A cast of hundreds of points of view, a meandering plot that seemed to jump forward at a ridiculous pace, then slow down just as fast, as if the entire novel is one giant montage. Worked fo
wishforagiraffe
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I love this book. People who follow me on reddit probably know that. And it's hard for me to write a review of it, because it's so dear to me, but I'm going to say basically the same things I do over there when I recommend it to people. My reviews for the rest of the series will probably be more nuanced...

Inda is perfect for fans of Game of Thrones or the Kushiel books- it has plenty of political intrigue, complex characters with a variety of sexual preferences, worldbuilding that is incredibly
Cecily
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is an acquired taste for some, though I've read it multiple times. I especially enjoy this first book which is incredibly strong. Smith writes about a world that seems to have always existed, complete with political intrigue, age-old family feuds, old wars, new wars, and a back story for EVERYTHING. This makes the world rich and vibrant.

The only problem is that I think Smith is a little immune to how difficult her character names are to deal with. The main characters all have names y
Sara Price.
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read, I really liked the first half of this book but the second half was not really my style. Overall it was good.
Lundos
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Too high expectations? Probably. But when a book offers so many new words and titles and nicknames, including very close names depending on being war or peace, then it have to be more than normally interesting. And - honestly - it isn't.

"Up in the royal wing Hadand sat with Queen Wisthia, who insisted on the Sartoan word for queen, Sarias, which was put before her name, the way it was done in civilized kingdoms. Twice a year she endured the Marlocan word for queen, Gunvear [...]." And it just c
Kaitlin
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This is my first time reading anything by Sherwood Smith and I picked this up largely due to Sam's (Novels and Nonsense) recommendation. I didn't have a clue what this was about and from looking at the cover I actually thought that the main character was a girl named Inda, however it's a young boy named Inda who we follow in this book, and his tale is certainly an interesting one.

One thing that this book does excellently is craft a unique, complex yet intriguing world. In this world we have mult
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was and for that matter still am a bit hesitant about my rating here. This book is one of the (for me somewhat dreaded) coming of age school. We meet a young man, slated from birth to fill a certain roll, marry a certain girl and live his life as his forebears had.

But things don't go that way. (Well if they had of course we wouldn't have had a story.) Politics and family collide here for our protagonist as they do for every other character.

Inda suddenly gets sent to a school for warriors/knig
Scott
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book is going right into the favorites folder. It took a bit to get used to the third-person omniscient point of view, considering most things I read are limited or first person, but Smith really made it work well for this book. After the initial weirdness, it settled in my mind and I didn't think much of it after that.

I started off feeling I knew where this book was going: a coming of age tale with some fantasy school trope thrown in and a bit of intrigue. What I got was so much more than
Tamar
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 *

All the things that I love are in this book: schooling, intrigues, betrayal, interesting writing style, round characters, very detailed society and of course lots of action.

Do not be deterred from the many names and those noble titles, I love it when it's very confusing in the beginning but page by page you figure it out - imo it's part of enjoyment in reading a book is that first you straggle to figure it out, beside to plot, but when you get it it's like you conquered a new language. I
Ranting Dragon
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: dan

Inda is the first of four novels in the series of the same name by American author Sherwood Smith. It tells the story of the titular young noble, Inda, in a time of war and crisis in the world of Sartorias-Deles, a setting for a number of her other works. It establishes the background and history of the world for the chronologically later but earlier written works.

A rich and robust world
On her website, Smith reveals that she’s been writing in the world of
Amanda
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DNF at 27%. I wish I had enjoyed the beginning of this book more because I've been told it changes pace halfway through. But I had such a difficult time caring about the characters because the world building was a bit too complicated for me. I don't love political machinations - only occasionally. This story had too many alliances that I could not keep straight. I didn't get attached to any of the characters. I am interested in learning more about the world, but not enough to keep slogging throu ...more
Francesca Forrest
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On the story level, this is an exciting, immersive story of ambition and treachery: we follow young Inda, a prince in a warlike kingdom, and his friends and rivals as they grow into their strength--and come to realize just how dangerous the web of politics surrounding them is. At that level, it's a delight: Sherwood Smith develops characters in an intimate way, both inside (you're treated to the thoughts--the hopes, fears, resentments--of the characters) and out.

But I liked some of the more broa
Kevin Xu
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's been a while since I dnf a book, but this book's writing was just not my cup of tea. The characterd and plot was really great, and I had no problem, but this was one of the first time I felt like the writing was slow in pace. This might be because it feels like she is telling the story rather than showing. So I stopped after about 200 pages.
Also this series feels a lot like Robin Hobb's Soldier and Son Trilogy in the premise, especially the 1st book, Shaman's Crossing, which a lot of people
Sherwood Smith
May 04, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
It's my book. I got the first glimmers of this story forty years ago, and began writing it ten years ago. It's a bit of a long arc.
C.P. Cabaniss
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
That ending really has me conflicted. There was a lot there that seemed to promise great things ahead, but then I remember that the rest of the book was rather a slog for me. So should I continue or not? Right now I'm leaning toward not.

I was really interested in reading this book. I heard a lot of great things and it had such a promising description. Then I started it, and it wasn't that it was bad, it just didn't grab my attention. The writing was odd, and not because it used an omniscient st
Patti's Book Nook
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5-3.75 stars

Dislikes: Overly confusing names, vast time span and what was happening simultaneously in other parts of the Kingdom (even though it was fun to see Inda grow from a boy to a man!), some tedious/lagging sections on ship terms and battles.

Likes: The well-developed characters, the various histories of the ruling families, exploration of Homosexuality, pirate life, adventures at sea, and the super cool fighting technique the women utilized- the Odni.

I have conflicting thoughts on this
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in, 2009, fantasy
Inda is the second son of a prince. When old traditions are thrown aside, Inda and other second sons are eligible to attend the King's military academy. What the impetuous ten-year-old boy deems an honor is really something more insidious within the political tangles of the royal family. He immediately befriends the second son of the king, nicknamed Sponge, and discovers all is not what it seems. Sponge is loathed by his older brother, the heir, and anyone close to him will suffer for it. Even w ...more
Matt S
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found out about Inda thanks to the combination of a kindle deal and posts on r/fantasy. I joined in on a group read (late) without knowing much about the story, and am sure glad I did!

Inda is a coming of age story in a complex world full of political intrigue. I particularly enjoyed the characters and the author's writing style as I found myself easily visualizing the events throughout the story and quite emotional at times.

Early on some effort is required to learn the Marlovan language and ti
Jenni
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I did like this. I didn't love it. I think I went into it expecting it to be much more fast paced and action packed, but it's definitely a much slower paced book. It took me quite awhile to make sense of all the names and to get a handle on who was who and what meant what. I don't really understand the point in fantasy books to come up with insanely complicated new names for things that already have perfectly useful names that one can pronounce and doesn't need a glossary to understand. That's n ...more
Tara
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inda started out a little slow, but I think that really worked for it. There are a lot of characters and different plot-lines (all leading to the same point) to get to know and I think Smith did a fantastic job building everything up and getting me invested in the characters. Also, the world-building is pretty cnetralized for the moment, but there are many hints of other cultures and races elsewhere in the world and I'm looking forward to finding out more. Now that all the set-up is there, I am ...more
Jeffrey
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
A very good fantasy, hard to put down. Finely draw characterizations, nasty evildoers. The kind of book you wish was around more often. The first book of a trilogy. The second in paper and the third in hardcover will be published in July.

A little long and a tad slow, but because of the complexity of story and characters and the huge world building.

Worth the effort.
Megan
This was a hard book to get into, but once you get past the onslaught of strange names and settle into the omnipresent pov it really grabs you. I was supposed to read this a few chapters a week for a group read but I failed completely and devoured it until it was done.
Monica
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I thought it was well written, and I absolutely loved Inda's character. The plot can be a bit slow at times, but for the most part it is well paced and exciting. I recommend this series to anyone that loves epic fantasy.
Amanda Davies
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but in the end I enjoyed it quite a bit. It took a while for me to get into it, and I'll start by explaining why, and other things I disliked.

I am not at all a fan of fantasy authors who throw a bunch of made-up terms at you in the beginning of their novels, forcing you to 'sink or swim', memorize these terms or be confused for the rest of the book. Yes, there's a short glossary in the back, but I really don't want to be thrown out of the flow
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Inda [Jan 20, 2018] 95 55 Feb 02, 2018 04:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN-13: 9780756404222 2 27 Jan 04, 2014 04:40PM
  • The Hidden City (The House War, #1)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • The Steerswoman (The Steerswoman, #1)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith

Inda (4 books)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • Treason's Shore (Inda, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“When you love something enough time races ahead like the wind chasing autumn leaves, sending them skipping and dancing out of reach, no matter how fast you run. But when you want something and must wait to get it, time stops” 1 likes
“Dun came to realize that a man whose entire purpose for living is to command a war will not want to spend his life waiting for its possibility. He was going to have one, and he was going to see to it—after all, it made military sense—that he would have it on his own terms, the ones with which he expected to win” 0 likes