Start by marking “V for Vendetta” as Want to Read:
V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta (V for Vendetta #1-10)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  223,371 Ratings  ·  4,263 Reviews
A new trade paperback edition of the graphic novel that inspired the hit movie!

A powerful story about loss of freedom and individuality, V FOR VENDETTA takes place in a totalitarian England following a devastating war that changed the face of the planet.

In a world without political freedom, personal freedom and precious little faith in anything comes a mysterious man in a
Published October 24th 2008 by Vertigo (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about V for Vendetta, please sign up.

Ray Whipps If you're referring to V, it is partly revenge for what was done to him, and on the bigger scale to set the people free from an oppressive and violent…moreIf you're referring to V, it is partly revenge for what was done to him, and on the bigger scale to set the people free from an oppressive and violent government.(less)

Alejandro
Remember, remember the fifth of November...

This TPB edition collects the original 10 comic book issues, then divided in the graphic novel in three chapters.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrator: David Lloyd

VALIANT VERICITY

Remember, remember! The fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot; I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!

It's one of the first sentences that came to mind when you think about the masterpiece by Alan Moore & David Lloyd. And
Stephen
Photobucket

For all of the criticism heaped on movie versions of novels and other literary works (well deserved in many cases), there are times when the filmmakers get it very right (e.g., Lord of the Rings, the Princess Bride, Schindler’s List). The Graphic Novel, in particular, is a format that lends itself well to adaptation and, in the right hands, can often IMPROVE on the source material. Examples of this, IMHO, would include: From Hell, Road to Perdition and Sin City. To that small but distinctive li
Bookdragon Sean
Prison. What exactly is prison? Is it just the confinement in which we are placed after crime? Or is it something more? Can we become imprisoned without being aware of it? Can we even imprison ourselves? Perhaps even to the state?

description

Alan Moore depicts these questions in this scary graphic novel that is set in some crazy right-winged London that reeks of fascism and corruption. It’s a dark, eerily real place; it is a place that might have actually been in an alternate history. Just like in Watchme
J.G. Keely
I struggled for a long time with the growing notion that conservatives simply aren't funny. At first it seemed a silly idea, since conservatism draws from sources as varied as progressivism: all levels of intelligence and wealth, all kinds of people from all walks of life--yet none of them are funny.

Certainly they can tell jokes and be charming, but not satirical, not biting. Subversion doesn't come naturally to them, and it should have been clear why: Conservatism relies on ideals, on grand her
Lyn
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the 2005 film V for Vendetta starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving and so my son bought me the book.

The BOOK turned out to be a graphic novel.

I asked if this was an illustrated version of the literature and searched to discover that this WAS the book. So the graphic novel sat on my bookcase for months and months while I read other books, more traditionally published.

But then I learned that Neil Gaiman had published The Sandman series and I recalled fondly my high school days whe
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

When I picked up this graphic novel (after years of telling myself I’d get to it one of these days), I really wanted to love it. Watchmen by Moore is one of my all-time, favorite graphic novels, so I always envisioned V for Vendetta being another masterpiece of comic writing along those same lines: not only entertaining but enlightening as well. Unfortunately, I was immensely disappointed by this graphic novel.

Now, to be fair, I hate overtly political literary
Bryce Wilson
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
If Watchmen is Alan Moore's Sergeant Pepper, and From Hell his Abbey Road (And in the end the love you take is equal to the number of prostitutes you disembowl) then V For Vendetta is his Rubber Soul.

Like Rubber Soul it tends to get overlooked and undervalued because it's "merely" a perfect pop record rather then a artform redefining masterpiece. V is simply put a potent piece of Pop Art. The story is bracing, the art beautiful, the way it plays with iconography of humanities past sins is simpl
Ahmad Sharabiani
V for Vendetta (V for Vendetta Complete), Alan Moore
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: چهارم نوامبر سال 2015 میلادی
عنوان: وی مثل وندتا؛ نویسنده: آلن مور؛ مترجم: فربد آذسن؛ در 360 ص؛
در آینده ای نه چندان دور، در انگلستانی که تحت سلطه یک حکومت دیکتاتوری درآمده، دختر نوجوانی به نام ایوی هموند توسط یک یاغی فریبکار و کاریزمانیک که نقاب به چهره دارد و خود را «وی» مینامد، از خطر مرگ نجات پیدا میکند؛ یک یاغی که یک تنه به مقابله با ظلم و سرکوبگری حکومت انگلستان برخاسته است ...؛ ا. شربیانی
Algernon
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2014
Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea ... And ideas are bulletproof.

Comic books are for geeky kids who dream of men in tights saving the world and women in skimpy outfits who swoon into their brawny arms, right? Who takes comic book seriously? Alan Moore is not the only name to be put forward in answer to this question, but he is for me the best example of the power behind the medium. I rate 'V for Vendetta' on the same level as '1984' or 'Animal Fa
Saleh MoonWalker
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
یکی از کارهای افسانه ای آلن مور، که داستانش کم شباهت به چیزی که توی شرایط فعلی ایران داره نیست. البته بدون قهرمان داستان.
داستان خوش ساخت، شخصیت های خوب پردازش شده، کار تصویر گرش هم که عالی بود. بخشی که برای من خیلی جذاب بود، جدای تمام موارد ذکر شده، دیالوگ های خود شخصیت وی بود. دیالوگ هایی که نشون میده با اینکه شرایط سیستمی دیکتاتوری هستش، اما کلمات قدرتشون رو حتی توی این شرایط حفظ می کنن. جالبی شخصیت وی هم این بود عمل انتقام رو با دقت و منطق خوبی پیش برد و در نهایت موفق شد که تنها، سیستم رو شکس
Foad
"فکر کردی میتونی منو بکشی؟ زیر این شنل گوشت و پوستی وجود نداره تا با گلوله از بین بره؛ زیر این شنل فقط یه آرمانه و آرمان ها ضد گلوله ن."

یکی دیگه از کمیک های معروف و خیلی خوب "آلن مور" نویسنده ی افسانه ای کمیک.
داستان این کمیک در انگلستانی مشابه آنچه جورج اورول در 1984 توصیف میکنه اتفاق میفته و به شرح مبارزات یه هرج و مرج طلب با نام مستعار "وی" میپردازه.

مقایسه با فیلم
کمیک خیلی از فیلم بهتره. شیوه ی روایت آلن مور، شیوه ی کنار هم گذاشتن تصاویر و ترکیب دیالوگ ها با صحنه ها، خیلی هنرمندانه است. اوج ای
Carlos De Eguiluz
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
That ending; the fire rising from those ashes...

"Remember, remember the fifth of November of gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot." —V for Vendetta, film adaptation (2005).

"V for Vendetta" es la tremenda novela gráfica escrita por el brillante autor Alan Moore e ilustrada por David Lloyd; una distopía que refleja la crudeza del carácter opresor del gobierno, su injusticia y la verdadera esencia del anarquismo.

En el año de 1997, tras el f
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comic
Eh.

Okay. There's political writing, and then there's political comics (Watchmen, also by Moore). Pure political writing, essays or editorials or what have you, doesn't have to leave everyone satisfied. It can leave some angry or displeased or challenged, so long as it makes its point.

POLITICAL COMICS HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT.

A political comic must not only make a clear political point, but it must ALSO be interesting in a way that is peculiar to comics: it must have a gratifying narrative, it must b
Mohammed Arabey
The 5th of November....

One of a very long waited to-read that been sitting on my shelf for so long.

As a Story, it's almost 4 ☆☆☆☆, but the art is totally 2 ☆☆.
Yet both have its own high points and low ones...
More on that on the full review.
Sam Quixote
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
V for Vendetta is one of those books that has the reputation for being one of the greatest comics ever written and frequently appears on “graphic novels everyone must read” lists. It’s a celebrated classic by the most acclaimed comics writer of all time, Alan Moore, and is one of the few books many non-comics readers have read. But why is this so feted? V for Vendetta is a badly written, even more poorly conceived pamphlet espousing anarchism as the ideal political system featuring non-character ...more
Vivian
In times of darkness and great need, we look for a hero.

Book 1:
The backstory and a particularly intriguing story of freedom versus justice emerges in this postnuclear apocalyptic story. Tick-tock, times up for some very bad people. I also recall why my farmboy friends are not stupid. I had a machete and gasoline, and they... well, I'd have been a bigger fan of chemistry, too. The things you learn playing in the shed.

Book 2:
The saga continues, but this time we see Evey and her trajectory. There
Anna
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
remember remember the 5th of november

Βαθιά πολιτικό, συνδυάζει το μέλλον με το παρελθόν σε μια υπόθεση που θα μπορούσε να διαδραματίζεται στο παρόν, το παρελθόν ή το μέλλον.

Εκπληκτική σύλληψη και υλοποίηση της ιδέας, κάνονας απόλυτα σαφή τα μηνύματα που θέλει να δώσει. Εξαιρετικό και το σκίτσο. Εξαιρετική και η ταινία (πόσους υπέροχους ρόλους έχει παίξει ο Hugo Weaving - Matrix, Lord of the Rings, V for Vendetta...)
Sud666
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, favorites
V for Vendetta is superb. For people wanting to read this book, that's really all you have to take away from my review. Written in a period of liberal angst (over Thatcher's Election as PM) wherein he forecasts a dystopian view of England's future. There has been a nuclear war (not very specific as to the who/why) but England has been spared. The government is Fascist and uses Orwellian terminology for it's different departments-the Head, the Fingers, the Eye, etc. In this world we are introduce ...more
Celeste
“Remember, remember the fifth of November; the gunpowder treason and plot. I can think of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.”

V for Vendetta is one of my favorite movies of all time. For that reason, I never read the graphic novel that inspired the movie, for fear that it would fall short. Until today, that is. And I needn’t have worried; Alan Moore’s original story was just as powerful as the movie. I wasn’t disappointed at all, and this is now my favorite graphic novel.

I
Ayman Gomaa
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A Masterpiece

One of the best graphic novel i read ever
My second reading for Alan Moore after Batman:the killing Joke and to be fair he is the best graphic author ever , if he was wrote only this novel it will be enough to make him the best coz of the idea and the imagination he had , but we are lucky to enjoy more of his Masterpieces .

Many People don't prefer Alan Moore novels because they see it's so dark and in a Dystopia World , well he is right , the world is a mess and enough with the fai
Sidharth Vardhan
“I didn't put you in a prison, Evey. I just showed you the bars.”

I watched the movie first, I loved it - I knew I would love the novel too and yet it amazed me. It answers Orwell's 1984 question; the way Lion King's Hakuna-matata answered Hamlet's 'To be or not to be'. Alan Moore assures us worst of governments can be broken by a single man believing in a single idea. The prose is simply beautiful - I felt like hugging every word uttered in it, specially in Valerie's letter:

"“But what I hope mos
Kim
Ugh.

So I read this book because people seem to think it is this great political tome and V is this great revolutionary character. I couldn't disagree more:

1. This graphic novel is deeply sexist. The main female character is weak, spineless and insipid, drawn in this awful vaguely tarty style, and used as less an actual character, and more as a plot point. V saves her from being raped and murdered - and I could get into a diatribe here about how much I dislike sexual violence being used for enter
diegomarcapaginas
Cómic visionario que está lleno de buenos valores a pesar de la crueldad y violencia que encontramos en sus páginas. Un obra de culto imprescindible para los amantes del arte secuencial.
JA
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the movie so much, but not so much love for the book. Some parts of the movie didn't stay true to the book which, I think, made the movie way better. The book was a bit too sexist at times. I understand, though, that this was written in the 70s/80s so I let it slide. But I am still glad I have, finally, finally read this since this is one of my most anticipated reads this year. My 100th book :)

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
This was totally a five-star book. The artistic style and design, the incorporation of different viewpoints, the writing of internal dialogue- they were wonderful. The fantastic fusion of art and prose is obviously indicative of how well Moore and Lloyd worked together, and rarely do we come across a figure like V who remains just as indecipherable in the end as he was in the beginning, constantly providing the reader with food for thought. The Shadow Gallery was a brilliant creation as well, up ...more
Aubrey
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read comic books of this type all that often. It's true that in my youth I devoured shelf after shelf of the Asian equivalents, but I can tell you that the two are as different as night and day. I came to this graphic novel with its movie, the fellow Alan Moore work Watchmen, and a whole host of literature under my belt, and that's the context that I'll review it in.

The movie cut whole swathes of the story out, and plumped up what was left with a good old fashioned mix of action sequence
Paul
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this in one sitting one cold, Saturday in February. It's still remarkable and more than a bit terrifying in our age of Trumplandia.
Riku Sayuj
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watching the movie first was a big mistake - but maybe the movie had a finer dramatic tension to it, being less inclined to be so philosophical and cryptic?
Kirstine
I've loved the movie version of this ever since I first saw it, and it always made me sad how Alan Moore apparently didn't approve of it. I see now why he might have been disappointed, but I was not (this is perhaps helped by the fact that I didn't write the comic). I still love the movie, but there is no doubt the graphic novel is somewhat superior.

It just... It's a work of utter brilliance. And intelligence and insight into humanity. Sure some of the 'predictions' haven't come true or were fl
Eh?Eh!
Why didn't the government make more V's? 1 20 Mar 24, 2017 08:08AM
Bullguard Customer Support Service 1 6 Mar 16, 2017 03:18AM
DC comic readers!!: V for Vendetta 1 6 Jan 03, 2017 04:45AM
Were you surprised by the V for Vendetta movie adaptation? 2 35 Nov 20, 2015 08:16AM
Graphic Novels: Literature or Not? 27 326 Nov 13, 2015 04:57AM
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum (Transmetropolitan, #4)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 5: Counting to None
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • The Sandman book 5 A Game of You
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

V for Vendetta (10 books)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. II of X (V for Vendetta, #2)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. III of X (V for Vendetta, #3)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. IV of X (V for Vendetta, #4)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. V of X (V for Vendetta, #5)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. VI of X (V for Vendetta, #6)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. VII of X (V for Vendetta, #7)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. VIII of X (V for Vendetta, #8)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. IX of X (V for Vendetta, #9)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. X of X (V for Vendetta, #10)
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” 2967 likes
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof.” 2307 likes