Start by marking “Pretty When She Dies” as Want to Read:
Pretty When She Dies

Pretty When She Dies

(Pretty When She Dies #1)

Amaliya wakes under the forest floor, disoriented, famished and confused. She digs out of the shallow grave and realizes she is hungry... in a new, horrific, unimaginable way...

Sating her great hun
Published August 26th 2014 by Permuted Platinum (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty When She Dies, please sign up.
Gary Piper All these books are available on torrent sites so U can download and convert for your kindle. Amazing series. I have hard copies.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Made the Badass Hidden Gem II list..

The Good

The story

You have Amaliya and Amaliya was turned into a vampire by her professor. The professor decides that he wants to really screw with Amal (in more ways than one) and just lets her loose onto the human population. The professor, Amal's Maker (he's actually called "The Summoner"), gives Amal no instruction, no limitations, and literally stalks her to see what type of damage Amal causes while learning the va
Rhiannon Frater
Dec 15, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-it
I wrote this book, so I love it. :)
Giselle
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FREE on Kindle until May 6th! http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-When-She...
__

What would you do if you woke up buried in the ground? Well Amaliya first took a shower (duh!), then what comes next involves blood. Lots and lots of blood.

Left on her own to find out what she is, and how to survive it, Amaliya has a pretty rough beginning into her new vampiric life. However, she soon proves to be a pretty bad-ass heroine by, well... improvising. She's a fighter through and through. Instead of whining about
Wendy Darling

Self-published, so it meanders and is not polished...but it's fun all the same. Nice action scenes and believable vamp + vamp relationship, with fairly explicit sex and gore.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Check out the review and interview on Happy Indulgence, along with your chance to win the entire trilogy on paperback & eBook!

Actual Rating: 3.5

Pretty When She Dies is a throwback to vampires when they were actually scary. You know, the ones that actually drink blood, rip apart their enemies, aren’t afraid of gore and don’t try to relive high school again.

I found the book to be absolutely terrifying.

It starts off with a bang as Amaliya wakes up buried underground and is absolutely terrified
Kat
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, vampires
Hands up who's heard me say I don't enjoy vampire novels? And I honestly think it was this whole 'nice vampire' trend that went down a few years ago - I like my paranormal creatures to be scary, hardcore and gory, not all puppies and flowers and skipping through fields. Therefore I'm always a bit wary of vampire books, but I knew that Rhiannon Frater I was in pretty safe hands....and I definitely wasn't wrong.

Pretty When She Dies is a 'proper' vampire novel - there's death, destruction, ghouls,
Lina
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Okay so this wasn't exactly that happy go lucky romance that I normally read during this time of the year, nor was this one anywhere near the summer list of must read books I had created in my head, but I think that is exactly why this one was so darn good. It wasn't expected. I hadn't planned on picking it up and honestly, at the time, the only reason that I did was because I was in sort of a slump. I needed something different and not romance related (gasp, I know, I can't believe I just typed ...more
Shanon
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, vampires-dark
There were so many things I liked about this book.

First and foremost, vampires are not romanticized. Don’t get me wrong, they have powers that can be used for seduction in order to feed, true – but that is not what the book is about. This isn’t a book about a vampire falling for a human and trying to make it work. In fact, it’s a realization that it’s not possible for that to work. Vampires are monsters and only in accepting and embracing that fact are they made strong.

Another great thing about
hIpnoticraQs
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 87%. Sigh.... heaven forbid i find a decent book :(
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)

At A Glance
Bookgasm!!!

The Good
You know when you are eating a calorie free hot fudge brownie sundae while getting your feet massaged by a bare-chested Chris Hemsworth and you realize you are NOT dreaming? Yeah, that's what this book is like for me.

Oh, the love I have for this book. It makes me feel tingly all over. I actually have the other two books of the series, but I am holding off a bit on starting them because I want to stretch out the happy happy jo
Glass

Do you remember that time when vampires were bloodtirsty monsters who didn't have soul, mirror reflection and could be seriously harmed with religious items of all kinds? Vampires with no morals? Immortals with Mount Everest sized egos? Yeah, the good old times before sparkly 900 years old vampire with "forever teen" syndrome. Do you know that Buffy/Edward T-shirt from J!NX?

That is the best way to describe Pretty When She Dies. Book is full Buffy references, but also other popular vampire stor
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Steph
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All pre-Twilight vamp book lovers!
I started this book with the idea I'd just taking a peek to see how it starts off, had every intention of waiting to read it fully after I completed the other three I'm already reading. However, the story grabbed me from page one and never let go! I was bummed when it was over. I was happy to see Ms. Frater mention a 2nd book, "Pretty When She Kills" coming out in the future, so there will be more Amaliya and Cian to come. :)

Things I loved about this book:
* What vamp book lover out there coul
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

I've read this author's dystopian book which I loved. This was pretty good. Because of the way the heroine looks there are a lot of misconceptions especially when she becomes a vampire. She's thrown into the life and has to find her way, later with some help and a beginning love life. Good audiobook.
Wendy-Lynn
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this book. It kept you on the edge of your seat. I'm now a fan of the author, Rhiannon Frater, and can't wait for the sequel "Pretty When She Kills."
☕️Kimberly
Pretty When She Dies is a deliciously dark urban fantasy that quickly draws you in. Filled with vampires, necromancers, romance and kick-ass characters Frater took me on one heck of a ride. As a book addict, there is the high I constantly chase, that only an awesome, epic book can give me. Pretty When She Dies gave me that fix.

When we first meet protagonist Amaliya she finds herself buried in a shallow grave on her college campus. At first she cannot remember who she is, but stumbles her way bac
Saniya
Dec 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
WORST BOOK EVER!
I have never read such a lame and boring book in my life. I have wasted freaking 5 hours of my precious busy life reading this book. 50% of this book had make out scenes, 42% of this book had swear words and the actual plot was only like 8%. No where was it written that this book is for adults, I came to know about it after I read that she was twenty four years old. And even If I was an adult, I would have thrown this book or burnt it so that people would be saved from this book.
Bunnycore
oh okay Pretty when she dies..

Amaliya wakes up dead, she starts craving blood and she can not figure out why people are just willing to give it to her. She finds out that she is a vampire and she has to leave college. She takes all this in stride for the most part, which I just find so hard to believe. I mean really, you wake up, you are a vampire and you go. Oh okay cool this is cool? um no I don't even care if you wanted to be a vampire there is going to be some sort of adjustment period some
Lori
I finished this book late last night and was thinking of some brillant comments to put into my review. Unfortunately they all went away when I fell asleep. So now to write my 'tribute' review of Pretty When She Dies.
Amal-(I'm not even going to attempt to spell her full name) is a woman in her mid 20s from east Texas. She has been in college twice trying to escape a very rough life. Both her sister and mother died of cancer. Her dad married her cousin. Her aunt Mae is a toothless hag from hell a
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
A fantastic back to basics vampire story! No day-walking, animal blood drinking, whiny pining to be mortal babies!

What was there not to like ... ok LOVE about this book? It was a refreshing return to traditional vampire lore; sunlight kills, no eating animals, have to be invited inside someone's home ... It was great!

There are two clear halves to the book, the first half where Amaliya is trying to figure out what happened to her, and adjust to her new "life", and the second half, where she meets
Ali
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off...FYI...ebook at Amazon.com is only $0.99!

I DEVOURED this book, I could not put it down! Which, is why it got the fourth star. Technically it is probably only a 3 star book but I so easily sunk my teeth (hee hee) into it that I had to up the rating a little. It's got it's editing issues, but I was able to look past that...mostly.

Amaliya, for me, is a young-modern-inked up-sexed up-slightly trashy-female Vampire Lestat. She doesn't really know who she is, where she belongs, who loves he
Kerstin (under_moonlit_skies)
This was a great story, grittier and darker than a lot of the other UF I usually read and I really enjoyed it. Amaliya is a great heroine and we meet her when she wakes up in her own grave, having to dig herself out, only to find out that she is a vampire now. We go on a journey with her to find more of her kind and hopefully take revenge on the guy who made her, an age old necromancer and vampire who is truly evil and made her only so he could toy with her. She also has to try and figure out wh ...more
Shelly
My first Rhiannon Frater book, but certainly not my last. I rather enjoyed her style of writing and am looking forward to reading her zombie trilogy.

Pretty When She Dies... not exactly a title that left me super curious about the book, but that cover sure did. In case you haven't been watching, I'm somewhat of a sucker for a good vampire story; especially if said story has vampires that aren't emo and vegetarian. No worries on that front in this novel. These vampires know what they need to survi
Cat
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I liked the idea of vampires having different powers (that's not very unusual) and I thought the idea behind the Summoner was nice and creepy...but I did not like Amaliya. Not at all. I also found the story line to be a bit too predictable. There were some funny moments, but overall Amaliya was too oblivious and dumb for me.

Also, and I only bring this up because this popped up a few times throughout the book, while I found the heroine's name really pretty and unusual, what the heck is the point
Diane
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

We meet 24 yr old college student Amal as she climbs out of a grave after three days. She stumbles back to her dorm room dirty. hair full of bugs, in pain, stomach cramping from hunger.

She doesn't know what's happened to her, but after she cleans up she goes out in a daze and finds some college kids having a orgy. Bad things ensue and then her Professor shows up. He's the one that killed her and made her Vampire. He tells her that he will be watching for his amusement to see how she copes. H
Kathryn
An excellent dark-urban-fantasy with great character development. I loved so many of the elements in this book. The villian, the action, the monsters, the gore, and the romance, altogether created an exciting story. Many of the elements are traditional vampire lore but there is a twist to Frater's main vampire and without providing any spoilers, I have to say I loved it.
David Breeden
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep in the Heart of Texas

This was an action packed Vampire tale from Texas. Amaliya and Cian both made by the same maker fighting for their lives (well after death anyway). A great trip through Texas and the world of the Supernatural. Who wants to be a vampire? Not Amaliya, but doesn’t have any say in the matter. All the characters are believable and personalities well defined. Where does anyone fit in, the world is so strange, and life changes so quickly. Follow her afterlife, just don’t *cros
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Bloodlines  (Demons of Oblivion, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • Dark Salvation (Immortalis, #5)
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • The Royal Flush (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #3)
  • 33 A.D. (Bachiyr, #1)
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • Reign of Blood (The Vampires of Vegas, #1)
  • That Voodoo You Do (That Old Black Magic, #1)
  • Edge of Truth
  • Angel of Death (The Chosen Chronicles #1)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Intervamption (Vampires of Crimson Bay, #1)
  • The Vampire Voss (Regency Draculia, #1)
  • Blood Memories (Vampire Memories, #1)
  • Blood Reaction (Blood Reaction Saga, #1)
  • Claiming the Evil Dead (Soul Catcher Book 1)
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S

Pretty When She Dies (3 books)
  • Pretty When She Kills (Pretty When She Dies, #2)
  • Pretty When She Destroys (Pretty When She Dies, #3)
“What do you privately consult about?”
Haunted houses, exorcisms, that sort of thing,” he answered.
Wow. You're like-”
Don't say it.”
-Giles from Buffy.”
He rolled his eyes. “If I had a quarter for every time someone said
that.”
9 likes
“She parked near the fence and took a deep breath. Curious, she did it
again, feeling her lungs expand, then contract. She sat in silence,
letting her body decide what to do next. Her lungs stayed still, but she
didn't feel as though she was suffocating.
“Yep, dead,” she whispered.”
7 likes