Start by marking “The Break-in (Busted Labs #2)” as Want to Read:
The Break-in (Busted Labs #2)

The Break-in (Busted Labs #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Sequel to The Applicant
Busted Labs: Book Two

Ten years ago, roboticist Forbes Pohle received a visit from time-traveler Oliver Lennox. “Wait for me,” Oliver said. Now a decade has come and gone, and Oliver has returned. However, Forbes never dreamed Oliver would reappear as the point man for a gang of technology thieves breaking into his lab. He finds the younger Oliver jus
Published June 18th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Break-in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Break-in

CrabbyPatty
Going back over my review of "The Applicant" - the first book in the Busted Labs series - I see that I waxed poetic and at some length about the plot of this series.

This time around, all I have to say is Wow - what a great sequel, or actually a prequel. Ladnier constructed such an intriguing plot in the first book, and this book does it one better, giving us the answers, but also bringing up new questions that cast a new light to the relationship between Oliver and Forbes. Well done!
Carly
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After ten years of waiting, Forbes has almost given up on ever seeing Oliver again. He fell in love with the easygoing and earnest man when Oliver surprised him with a visit from the future. Leaving Forbes with nothing more than a handful of memories and the frustratingly vague prediction that he was coming soon.

The Break-in is a fun little novella that I gobbled up in about an hour. The characters Aidee Ladnier writes are quirky and engaging. The plot is unique, and I loved the robotic cat! My
Katherine
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent sequel to the Applicant as we get to see that fateful meeting between Oliver and Forbes. Little did Forbes know it would be quite so explosive.

Forbes has waited ten years for Oliver and almost given up. On a regular day he is shocked to have a kid hold him at gun point and force his way into his house in a robbery. He is even more shocked to realize that the kid is a much younger Oliver, a nineteen year old thief. Uncertain of how to feel about his lover being involved in crime, he
Joyfully Jay
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I recently read and reviewed The Applicant and was totally delighted by the fun and sweet time travel romance. So I was excited to see that Ladnier had a follow up that focuses on a pivotal event between the two men that we learn about in the first book. While in the first story, Oliver is the one who knows all about the future for these men, this time Forbes is the one who must take the lead. He knows that he and Oliver are meant to be together, and he also know
Romance
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Smart men that know how to build some pretty interesting robots.

Forbes, is visited by Oliver when Oliver and his gang of hackers are there to rob Forbes of his work. Forbes has been working on a project and it seems like the competition wants what he has. Oliver and his gang are there to take every piece of information that the good Dr has been working on.

Oliver and Forbes have to hide out and watch while the gang takes what they want. While they are hiding out two get to know each other a bit m
Kelley
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Aidee Ladnier captured my heart with this little novella. The love that Forbes shows for Oliver is breathtakingly beautiful.

Forbes met Oliver once upon a time and fell in love. When Oliver left him it would have destroyed him except that, Oliver promised to return to him in the future. Forbes knew that when Oliver returned he would be a younger version of the man he fell in love with, but never in his wildest dreams would he have expected the young man who broke into his lab.

“I’ve got to make
Skye
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It may be that I'm not used to novellas, but this sweet little book was over before it started. I'm still walking around the house looking for that book I was reading with the time travelers and robots – queer time travelers, no less! I loved the relationship between cautious, sentimental Forbes and feisty Oliver. I loved the immediate sense of high stakes; Forbes has to convince Oliver of the truth, like NOW, or all will be lost. I loved the steampunk vibe of the inventor's mansion setting. But ...more
Sula
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A clever snippet of a story, sweet, romantic, with some angst and a tale that I wished had gone on for many more pages. Hint to author: please may I have some more as there is so much more story to tell :)

Even through it is a novella I was able to piece together the tale via a few flashbacks connecting you to the present situation from Forbes past and Oliver's time traveling future self. I was fascinated by the science, especially Jeepers the robot cat. Overall it is a well written story, which
blub
Forbes has been waiting for Oliver and is at the verge of giving up and start dating. Then he hears noises outside his home and goes investigate. There he comes upon a kid with a gun.

Oliver has resorted to some criminal acts to make cash for his loved one. He comes face to face with Forbes and tries to distract him so he can get the data he needs.

A great story and I wished it had been longer because Forbes is an interesting character and his interaction with Oliver was an addictive thing to rea
Roger - president of NBR United -
A quick interesting tale of time travel romance when a future lover comes back in time and tell the Inventor to wait for him as a young thief to come and love him. when the thief does come there is an interesting break in and the robotic cat and the things it can do is just as much fun as the romance.
Peggy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
*ARC FOR HONEST REVIEW*

First time reading a book of this nature. It wasn't disappointing. I was very impressed with Aidee Ladnier's writing abilities. Was kept interested in reading right from the start. Love story that will snag and tug at your heart.
Bobbi
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: Author
A touching story. It kept me wanting for more from beginning to end. Now I will have to read the first one in the series.
Chele
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first story I have read from this author.
Loved it . Jeepers the cat is a keeper.
It is a quick read but a good one!
Aidee has you hoping for Forbes HEA.
Cindy Scheffler
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story. It kept me reading from begging to end. Now I will have to read the first one in the series.
Antonella
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Above average sweet story with a sparkling of angst. I usually have all sorts of problems with time travel, but here it worked well, probably also because the story is quite short.
I didn't know that there was a first book in the series: The Applicant.
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
This is the companion piece to The Applicant & explains in more detail how Forbes and Oliver began their relationship. I actually liked The Applicant better.
Sara
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish there was another book. I want to know how they're doing now that they're together again.
Mignon
Dana Mitchell
Apr 14, 2018
Amy
Apr 19, 2017
Aidee Ladnier, an award-winning author of speculative fiction, believes that adventure is around every corner. In pursuit of new experiences, she’s worked as a magician’s assistant, been a beauty pageant contestant, ridden in hot air balloons, produced independent movies, hiked up a volcano, and is a proud citizen scientist. A lover of genre fiction, Aidee’s perfect romance has a little science fi ...more
More about Aidee Ladnier

Busted Labs (3 books)
  • The Applicant (Busted Labs #1)
  • Weird Science