Start by marking “The House at Sunset (House, #3)” as Want to Read:
The House at Sunset (House, #3)

The House at Sunset

(House #3)

“At the age of seven I was a skilful pickpocket. I could also sew neatly, write a tolerable hand, make a curtsey and a tolerable introduction, dance a little and play simple tunes on the harpsichord ... I saw nothing strange in one day running barefoot and the next mincing along in silk hose and satin slippers.”

From street urchin daughter of an inveterate gambler to mist
Published March 17th 2014 by Tree of Life Publishing (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The House at Sunset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House at Sunset

~☆~Autumn♥♥
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, excellent
This is the first book by Norah Lofts that I ever read. I was living in Suffolk when I walked into the base library in a big hurry as I didn't have much time and grabbed this one as they had nicely placed it in a display so it attracted my attention. She managed to make this old house absolutely fascinating to me and I never had much interest in houses until this one. I was hooked from that moment on and had to read more and more of these and now own most of them.
Jeanette
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book of the trio, House at Sunset- is my least favorite of the three for this Old Vine building. BUT it is still 3.5 star and I rounded it up for the skill in which Norah Lofts changes the narrators' sensibilities as the centuries turn. The 18th century, it still has far more "thought hours" concerned with food/shelter- basic work, than it does with more what we would call First World Problems of today (anxiety, depression, desires unfulfilled, education or fame as a goal- all those ki ...more
Mela
I was no philosopher, but it seemed to me that I could see straight; simply because this life was the only one we had, it should be as good as we could make it.

This (third) part of 'House' series was more a collection of stories around/about the house at Old Vine than a family saga (like two other parts). These stories took place between the first half of XVIII century and the fifties of XX. There were seven stories, the shortest had only around twenty pages.

You could see faster cha/>You
Donna
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the House trilogy, this one abandoned the genealogical thread of the first two after its opening stories. The focus now is only on the house and the stories of the unrelated people who lived and worked there from the 1800s to mid-1950s. As a result, I think, I was better able to recognize the metaphorical dimensions of all three books. This was an enjoyable reading experience. The trilogy provided an informative, easy to digest history of England from the 14th to mid-20th centu ...more
Teresa “Teri”
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

The last in The Suffolk Trilogy, by Norah Lofts. Not what I had expected, but still excellent in a different way. I’m glad I’m now aquatinted with Ms. Lofts’ writing!
Fiona Brichaut
I hope I live long enough to forget this trilogy so I can read it all over again and enjoy it a second time.
John Newcomb
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the remarkable end of a tremendous trilogy and possibly the best of the three. The books tell the story of a house from the middle ages to the 1950s and how it changed and the people who lived in it. This book takes us from Georgian England to post war austerity. The residents include the good, the bad and the ugly and one hopes the old vine survived 1960s destructive planning.
Linda
This is the third book of the Suffolk House series. In this succession of stories of those who lived in Old Vine (from the 14th to the 20th centuries) there is no repetition. Every story is unique. Each character is unique. The settling and history uniquely fits the time of each story. I suspect this series has a touch of genius about it. That is what kept me reading. The series probably deserves 5 stars but subjectively I’m rating it 3. I didn’t love it. The stories were just ok.
 ☆Ruth☆
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this four stars although I didn't enjoy it quite a much as the first two in the series. Perhaps because the house is losing it's character now and the stories are more modern and less connected to each other. However it's still a very well written book, with engaging characters and compelling little tales of human trials and tribulations.
Caroline
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third of the Suffolk trilogy and every bit as good as the others. I was dreading coming to the end but all is resolved in a most satisfactory manner- I might have known Norah Lofts wouldn't let me down! I only wish someone would write a history of the house from the 1950's (where this one ends) to the present day.
Mary
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
I loved this story. It spans the mid-eighteenth century to the 1950s through the lives of seven owners of the house. This is the third book in the Suffolk House trilogy by Norah Lofts. I think that Norah Lofts is a wonderful writer and give this story an A+!
HDubois
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about: the last of a trilogy covering from the middle of 18th to the middle of the 20th century.
I liked: AS always the different characters throughout the different generations
I didn't like: I thought the last story was a bit too easy, it missed the intricacies of the others. I would have liked a more surprising end.
Thomas Tesdale
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read all three of the books and enjoyed everyone but some of the stories in the third book seemed to finish rather abruptly. This did not detract from my enjoyment of the Nora Lofts book
Sharon Zink
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is the third book in a trilogy. The others are: The Town House and the House at Old Vine. They tell the story of an old building built in the fourteenth century and continuing until at least 1955. The characters are well described and credible, and the plotting is excellent. This is the second time I have read the trilogy clear through in my 47 1/2 years of marriage. The House at Old Vine is my favorite.
Kristen
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readable historical fiction that shows the suspense and meaning in the everyday world. Lofts adds up life's details...and shows lives upon lives and how they interact with their location (physical and temporal)...giving the reader a feel for history's sweep. This is the third book of the Suffolk Trilogy and spans the late 18th to mid 20th centuries.
Jan Aldergate
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the whole trilogy enjoyable. It starts in the 14th ( I think)century and follows the people who live in the house up into the early 1960's. you really need to read the whole trilogy and it is hard to find anymore, but worth the hunt.
Susan
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to finish Norah Lofts "House" trilogy. I wanted it to go on and on!..................

She is a most talented writer and makes you feel that you part of the story and in that particular era she is writing about.
Sophie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this nearly as much as the two previous books in the trilogy, perhaps because the stories were set in more recent times. They just seemed less engaging, but it was still interesting to see what happened to the fictional Old Vine in the 18th to 20th centuries.
Magda
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the second book in the series, and with as much (or more) surprising "plot" twists as the first. There isn't a regular plot, as this follows the lives of the people involved with Old Vine. I very much enjoyed this book.
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third volume in the Suffolk House trilogy.
Rebekah
Book three in the "House trilogy"--excellent historical fiction involving all the people and events of an English house from it's building in the 1400's to modern times.
jean murray
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The last of the trilogy

Once again you are involved with the various human stories. The people are so real and you are carried along with their various destinies .
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story revolves around an old mansion in England, Old Vine, and the inhabitants throughout the years.
Marie Louise
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book in the Hose Trilogy - and I am still enjoying the whole story. Really lovely story from book one until the end.
Sarah Stuart
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Norah Lofts is always a good read and this, part of a trilogy, is one of her best. I was delighted when her books appeared on Amazon: it's a great way to store old favourites.
Thomas Tesdale
Feb 06, 2018
Judy Jones
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2016

• Homework
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)
  • Without a Backward Glance
  • Storyville
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • The Road Taken
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residents

House (3 books)
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • The House at Old Vine (House, #2)