Start by marking “Seeing Other People” as Want to Read:
Seeing Other People

Seeing Other People

From "My Legendary Girlfriend" to "Turning Forty," Mike Gayle's bestselling novels have taken his millions of readers through many key times for the modern man - friendship, courtship, stag weekends, marriage, work, holidays, significant birthdays - but "The Divorced Dad's Club "is perhaps his most compelling, engaging and bittersweet novel yet. When Joe Clarke writes a fe ...more
Published August 28th 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Other People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Other People

Zarina
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

Unfamiliar with author Mike Gayle, when I read the blurb for this novel I wasn't sure what to expect. Would it be a cheesy rom-com? A bizarre ghost story? A heart-wrenching family drama? Turns out it was a little bit of all of those and then some.

It took me a little while to get into the story, because while Joe was a compelling main character I found it difficult to come to terms with the ghost of his ex-girlfriend floundering about, which for me detracte
Jane
Feb 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Pile of shite. The story is basically he's unfaithful and tells the unravelling of his life following a one-night stand with an intern at work. Turns out it's all a dream and he's still got his lovely boring one-dimensional wife and two boring children. I don't like him at all, he treats women like objects and he blames the intern for luring him away (she's beautiful after all) and he thinks it's ok to lie to his children (eg pretending he's working in china when his wife chucks him out; springi ...more
Bookread2day
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must buy, must read.

I love reading Mike Gayle novels. The last one I read was Wish You Were Here, which I highly recommend.

Mike Gayle's new novel is told man's perspective. Seeing Other People is a brilliant novel that makes you hard to take your eyes off the page. Not a word is wasted on any page. There is an utter thrill of discovering what really happens to Joe Clarke.

Happy married, father of two Joe wakes up beside a young woman from his work. He is sure that he has been unfaithful to the
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
So there's this bloke who wakes up after what he thinks is a late night mugging. He wakes up in the bedroom of an intern he works with. Oh no. Thus ensues an unraveling of conscience and trust and upon confession his marriage. Joe Clarke has made a mistake and now he must deal with the consequences.
But early on the reader is treated to a Christmas Carol type of story where the ghost of Joe's first girlfriend, a horrendous being who is haunting him and also showing that his life isn't what he th
Amanda
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ridiculous premise, truly. I used to love Mike Gayle's novels, but his recent few have not been enjoyable to read. He has a cosy and readable style of writing, but the plots are as thin as tracing paper.
Gillian Edwards
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Always a good read by Mike Gayle. I would have liked a better twist at the end though but well worth a read.
Alice
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Mike Gayle since his first one, My Legendary Girlfriend. Not the sort of thing I usually go for, but goodhearted, easy comfort reads I keep going back to. I was lucky enough to attend a talk Mike gave at Bexley Library, and discovered that he was just as sweet and lovely as I had always assumed. This book was unaccountably missing from my collection, so I bought it and had it signed.

It's familiar Gayle territory - nice guy and nice woman have relationship troubles - but with
ダンカン

It took longer and it was meant to be finished last year but the struggle I went through was one I regret buying this book. I have three words after I read it.

Plain. Dull. Predictable.

Firstly, the title isn't much of any connection that for the whole universe searching I can barely understand its meaning of it. Secondly, this has been done before many times that even any films that dealt with the subject of infidelity is a passing off of uninteresting story that even real life is happening to ma

John
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was OK. It's quite readable and nice, but entirely lacking in tension and feels all a bit obvious and worthy.

The central concept of "it's not worth shagging the office intern when you've got a lovely wife at home no matter how busy your life and how neglected you might feel" is just not that interesting. Joe Clarke is likable, and I did care about him, but my concern never edged above "mild" on the concern-o-meter. This was not because I didn't care about his and Penny's marriage (I did), but
Carly Hughes
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mike's writing always keeps the pages turning and is ever so relatable - another great read that I couldn't put down!

Slightly "out-there" considering his usual style and I'm not sure the ghost aspect of the story was the right angle but the message and moral of the story was excellent in a sliding doors kind of way.

A definite summer page turner and if you like his other books you won't be disappointed (although its not up there with the to-do list or turning 30/40)

Jo Field
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed 'Seeing Other People' and am excited to read Mikes other books as this was my first of his.

If anyone is thinking of checking out whether the grass is greener on the other side, I suggest you read this book. For anyone having gone through separation and divorce, you'll be able to identify with the story, for anyone who hasn't, you'll truly wish you never have to.

A great read with thankfully a 'happy ever after'.
Nigel
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching heart-warming tale engagingly written and often hard to put down. It's a story of how bad decisions by a hapless falible male protagonist can damage a relationship. It begins on one tack and then takes off in another direction but Mike Gayle has honed this sort of thing down to a tee and it makes me want to read another of his in a similar vein.
Benedikte
"That's what you do when you're married. You don't dip your toe in to test the water. You don't put yourself in harm's way. You don't do anything at all that could hurt the thing you love the most. But you did, Joe."

Joe Clarke: gelukkig gehuwd met Penny. Vader van Rosie en Jack. Succesvol journalist, blakend van ambitie. Maar dan komt Bella als stagiaire op 'zijn redactie' werken. De goede intenties ten spijt, kan Joe aan de verleiding niet weerstaan en duikt hij met haar in de koffer. In één kl
Chris
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Last night when I finished this book I thought that I wouldn't be writing a review because it's so predictably and generically ok that I didn't think I would be bothered. But I have some free time and some moderate vitriol to spare so here goes.

(view spoiler)
Mandy Smith
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Agi
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Well, I'm not one of the biggest Mike Gayle's fans for nothing. I have loved all of his books but to be honest I think that Seeing Other People is his best yet. It's written in his trademark style and told from a man's point of view, as most of his stories, and it is about problems in a relationship so somehow Mike repeats himself, but this book is like a breath of fresh air, it's beautiful and addictive.

Seeing Other People is about Joe, thirty - something journalist, and his family: wife Penny
Susan
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
An initially interesting 'chick-lit' type book - written, unusually, by a man - was spoiled in my view by a twist ending. It's written from a man's point of view, with Joe Clarke dealing with the consequences after a one-night stand with his firm's newest intern. His wife leaves him, falls in love with someone else, moves away with their two children....

An amusing element is the ghost of a nasty ex-girlfriend, who is thoroughly mean-spirited. She goads him on, and it's not clear at all whether s
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story centres around a character called Joe who is married to Penny and has 2 young children. Joe's life is busy as he and his wife work full-time to provide for the family and sometimes it feels like they barely have time to see one another. Early on in the book Joe wakes up in his interns bed but his memory of the night before is somewhat hazy. As I read on I was left wondering whether Joe had been unfaithful to his wife Penny or whether he was in a coma as Fiona (the ghost of his ex-girl ...more
Ruth
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick review - (actual rating 2.5/5) I really like Mike Gayle usually, but I didn't particularly enjoy this book. The relationship between the main character and his wife just seemed to go round in circles for the most part, and there was a ghost aspect (this is not a spoiler) that didn't seem to quite work. I have read other books by Mike Gayle, and based on those he is an author I would try again, but if this was the first one of his I had read, it would probably be the last too!
Stuart Harley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toread
Excellent read.....

Ever wished you could see how your life pans out as a result of a decision you haven't yet made or a choice not yet acted upon?

Joe Clarke is in that very position after waking up next to someone who isn't his wife.

The plot gives a fascinating insight into the potential consequences of one moment of weakness, but also the power of friendship and the tricks your mind can play on you under stress.

eileen fothergill
Not too demeanour this one !!!

Although I usually love this author I didn't really ever get into this story .I didnt get the ghost part although the dream part of the book was good the jumping bit at the end didnt do it for me .I was tempted to give up half way but persevered...a bit disappointed.
Melisa
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually hate betrayal, but this books back-cover still intrigued me because it was about making things right. It was very interesting to see how joe and penny reacted to all and more than once did I shed a tear for the kids. I love the amount of love they have for family.
James Coldwell
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Mike Gayle - with a twist

I’ve piled through most of Mike’s novels and thoroughly enjoyed them all - this didn’t disappoint. The usual mix of dilemmas, feel good moments, tragedy (not too much of the later) PLUS a cooky diversion which plays out well.
Karen Osment
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read by Mike Gayle yet. Totally thought provoking and great twist at the end. Don't read other reviews as it will ruin it for you!
Christine Barnacle
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was taken from a man's point of view which was refreshing.
Ian
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book would have achieved the same impact without the unnecessary “ghost” character.
Debby
Sep 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If there were half starts this would get a one and a half from me . I picked it up at the second hand book store for light reading .Nothing in this book worked for me .
Vicky Ball
Boring, predictable - it was all a dream ridiculousness.
Hayley Swithers
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from start to finish. A lovely story and easy read.
Kinga
  • The Prison Book Club
  • Revenge
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • Marrying Up
  • Coco Pinchard's Must-Have Toy Story (Coco Pinchard #0.6)
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Lost and Found
  • Forgotten
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli