Start by marking “Elected (The Elected Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elected (The Elected Series, #1)

Elected

(The Elected Series #1)

It’s the year 2185, and in two weeks, Aloy will turn eighteen and take her father’s place as president of the country. But to do so, she must masquerade as a boy to avoid violating the Eco-Accords, four treaties designed to bring the world back from the brink of environmental extinction. Aloy hopes to govern like her father, but she is inheriting a different country. The l ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Silence in the Library LLC

To ask other readers questions about Elected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elected

Marni
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
hrough history we've heard about women portraying themselves as a man to go into battle and do certain things. We've watched the Disney movie Mulan and the portrayal of a woman putting herself in harms way, for a loved one, without them asking to. In this book, we see a different side of this, we see a girl be purposely brought up as a man to keep her family as the seated political structure. We learn quickly the obstacles she's had to overcome personally and emotionally, and we feel her pain in ...more
Zach
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
The gender politics in this book were pants-shittingly terrible. The pacing the was shit. The plot was dull. The world building was boring and shallow.

But basically, if the gender politics weren't so hideous, binarist and transphobic I could have handled it. Seriously, y'all if you want the main character to angst about ~wanting to be a woman~ just make her a trans woman and get the fuck over your gender essentialist bullshit.
Heather Duff
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
So where do I start with this one?

Well to summarise it is a 22nd century dystopian set in the States, the country has fallen, people had become to reliant on technology and they world that they lived in just came apart at the seams.

The US has been split in to three, East, Mid and West country, the all follow the accords, rules that are in place to make sure they survive and thrive, our story is set in the East country.

Aloy is about to turn 18 and she will take the place of her father as the Ele
Janine Spendlove
Shelves: dystopian, fiction
Rori Shay's "Elected" was an interesting and unique take on a dystopian future that I haven't encountered before. I stayed up way too late because I kept saying "just one more chapter" - it was a page turner for sure. I really appreciated the attention paid to world building; I was particularly delighted by the setting of Washington, DC.

While not being an overt environmental treatise Elected definitely makes you think/brings awareness to readers that we need to treat our world better (it is, aft
Kathryn
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, own, 2014
This is one of those books that makes you stay up late to finish. The strong women characters and the gender conflict of the main character really made this book stand out. Can't wait for the next installment!
Christine
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I was hooked right from the start. Excellent story. I can't wait for the next one.
Lorena
Full review/Recensione completa: http://petrichorabookblog.tumblr.com/...
- Recensione in italiano più sotto

Aloy was raised to look like a man. She speaks, walks and acts like a man, but in reality she is not. Her is a constant effort to imitate, a facade to hide that she is actually a woman. For years she observes all the men that circulate in her big white house, trying to copy them as much as possible, and now, approaching her eighteenth birthday, she will have to keep in mind all that she has
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Once I read the blurb of Elected I knew I had to read it. I don't read a lot of dystopia's , but when i do I look for the original ones and Elected certainly did that aspect right. While it follows some common themes of dystopia books, Rori adds a fresh voice to the genre and makes Elected stand out.

Elected focusses on the story of Aloy, a girl who disguises herself as a boy because only males can be the Elected. I like the trope of people have
Valerie
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I added Rori Shay’s debut novel Elected to my Want To Read shelf after hearing her speak at a regional SCBWI conference last fall. I was not disappointed. Fast-paced and action packed, it is a quick, entertaining read, and the suspense kept me turning pages chapter after chapter.

Set in a dystopian future borne of a major eco-crisis, this novel has a timely, thought-provoking premise. Eighteen-year-old Aloy must take her father’s place as president of the country. But in keeping with the laws of
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book is awesome! There, review done. Not enough? Okay…

This is the most subtle and mind provoking story I’ve ever read about gender. Aloy is a girl who has been raised as a boy since she was four. As soon as she turns 18, she is expected to marry a woman and become the country’s sole leader. As a result, her concept of self and her gender is a bit conflicted. Aloy’s fight to be the best leader she can be is the main focus of the plot, but her actual story is the highlight. Aloy’s battle betw
Rosemary
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA readers/fans
Recommended to Rosemary by: Meet the author at a book festival, liked her & wanted to support her writing. Excited that I also loved the book.
OK have to admit partly amazing because I actually got to meet the writer and talk about the book. The book by itself though was above "really liked it" and only a tad below "amazing" in that amazing doesn't feel like the right word. I'm a slow reader & don't devote as much daily time to reading as I'd like so actually finishing in less that ten days is fast for me. Especially when the last 1/6 of the book I did in one sitting, up to late, because I wanted to get to the end and know what hap ...more
Breeanna
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a shot because I really love dystopian YA with romance, but I thought I was going to have some very yelly things to say about gender roles and heteronormativity. Not only was the book everything I could want in a YA dystopia, it also handled the gender and sexuality issues far better than I could have hoped for. Yes, I would have liked a little more discussion about queer members of a society so desperate for repopulation, but the fact that the subject was mentioned at all was a ...more
Bianca Ayling
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
As soon as I received Elected, I rushed to open it up and begin reading. I was so eager to read a book that dealt with today’s issues in the future and I was definitely impressed.

Rori Shay created a world which had been destroyed by climate change, ruled by sexism and left for dead by disease. She created characters that played with your trust – twisting it in some places, and warmly embracing it in others. In this aspect, I regarded Elected as a Red-Queen-Kinda-Novel, and then there was this:
"I
T.M. Corbett
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was captivated by page one! The dystopian future created was truly unique and can not be compared to any other YA dystopian novel out right now. The characters created were strong and easy to relate too. You will find yourself attached to Aloy in a way that will have you bite your nails off. The story created will compel you to keep reading to the last page, so start this book on a night you do not need to wake up early. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books, because the writi ...more
Susanne Matthews
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not the World I'd Like to Live In:

Elected by Rori Hay is a postapocolypsical look at the future, but unlike most books that have societies working together to survive, Ms. Shay's world has shrunk back to the days of isolation, when each country hoarded what it had. Technology is banned as are many of the the rights and freedoms we take for granted. Women have one sole purpose, to have babies and repopulate the world. In the midst of this social nightmare, a girl must hide her true identity, brea
Danielle
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I'm starting to think dystopian settings are my favorite. This book has a dystopian setting with details unlike anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed the character development and reading and experiencing the struggles that Aloy, Griffin and Vienne go through. This book also touches on some difficult world problems that we are facing today. Elected has plenty of twists and turns to keep you flipping the page but also leaves you hoping the story will keep going! I'm very much looking forwa ...more
Cally Hakala
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads and I loved it! This is like no other dystopian book I've read.

This books takes place in futuristic United States. It is about a teenage girl, who is to become the next leader. The problem is though, women are not allowed to be leaders. For thirteen years of her life she had to look like and act like a boy. Also in an attempt to keep her secret, she Marty's a girl.
This is an amazing book about a young girl, Alloy, and all the difficulties she goes through. I stro
Lynndell
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, dystopia
The Elected by Rori Shay contains "Mulan" like rules. This dystopian, set in the future, only allows male children to rule, once they have grown. The protagonist female disguises herself as a boy from the time she is very young; her parents make her do this knowing she will be ruler someday. It's a relief when Aloy shares her gender secret with Vienne and Griffin so she doesn't have to bear the burden alone. The story has a creative concept in which technology is not allowed and society has gone ...more
Julie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike some other YA fiction, the level of sophistication of Rori Shay's writing impresses you from the start. She has strong characterization and has created a plausible future, post-apocalyptic world that captures the audience. The gender issues and relationship triangle are a first for YA fiction, and maybe fiction (well, non-romance) in general, and its complexity makes you yearn to know how it all plays out.

Check out more on Rori Shay and Elected here: http://www.learnliveandexplore.com/20.
Ivana
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elected is a book I found via Wattpad, and it's one of my favourites of all time. It portrays sexism, normalises LGBT+ people, and was so interesting to the point of me using all my free time to read it. I love the writing style the author has, the characters, character development and the emotional moments. The plot twists really got me at times! I actually didn't expect a few, which is rare for me. I usually expect everything!
It remains one of my favourites, and I can't wait to read the sequel
Sarah Toppins
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by one of my clients, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how captivating the story is. I'll be happy to keep up with the series when written. Set in the DC area in the future, this novel deals with a world without technology and norms to keep the human race alive after an ecological melt-down. But it's really about a young woman coming of age and becoming the leader of the country while being forced to pose as a boy. You've got to read it.
Stephanie Scott
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book was absolutely amazing! I received this book through giveaway and when I saw it was blurbed by Lindsay Cummings I knew I would enjoy it. The writing is great and the story is so unique. It reminded me of K-Dramas like To the Beautiful You where a girl must act a boy. I've always loved that plot line and it's a shame it's not explored more in YA. I highly recommend Elected, you definitely will not regret it! I can't wait for book 2!!
Kara
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bho-book-club
This is an interesting addition to the YA dystopian genre. The characters are fleshed out with real emotions. There is mystery as to who is spying and frustration of a society that has some knowledge but is not allowed to use it. I would not want to live in this future time as it is hard and people have very short lives. I continued reading as I saw hope that things would surely improve soon. I look forward to the next book.
Brewergnome
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book. If you're a well read/knowledgable person, be prepared to tell yourself this is an alternate Earth-LIKE world. Otherwise the biology fails REALLY badly (there are still wolves and horses, but no squirrels?), and some other aspects of the science and social structures are quite hard to get past.

That said, if you can get past those, it's a well written book and enjoyable "what if" sort of scenario.
Michelle Huss
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story, though I found the basis of the accords a bit hard to swallow in the beginning. I loved Aloy's struggles with her feelings and identity, constantly pulled between being herself and who she needs to be for her country. Though I found it at times a bit predictable, the love triangle was definitely different and intriguing. Overall a fast and interesting read. I look forward to continuing Aloy, Griffin, and Vienne's story.
Todd Ross
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
wow, I liked that way more than I expected. I was a backer of this book on kickstarter, because I thought it looked interesting, but it was better than I thought it would be. I stayed up all night to finish the book and can't wait for the sequel. while there is a live triangle in this YA book, it is probably the most interesting love triangle in any book I've ever read. if you like post apocalyptic US novels featuring a bad ads fence protagonist I heartily recommend this book!
Tracy Gold
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started reading Elected in the morning as snow was falling and finished by dinner, because I didn't put it down for a second. I love how this book plays with gender, and Aloy and Vienne's friendship/relationship in particular is so interesting. It's also a fascinating look at a world that has let climate change run its current path into disaster, and it's fascinating to see how this manifests.

Super fast paced, and great characters to root for. I can't wait to read the next book!
Rachel Eisenhauer
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series called Elected. It is a different type of book than I have ever read before. It has a style like Mulan, in that the main character has to go against the law and what society expects, to become a male. This is the debut book for the author, whom I have met and is very nice. Support her and read this book, you won't regret it!
Lovely Rita
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A lot of writers have done YA dystopia, but this book felt entirely original to me. I had no idea where the story was going, in the best possible way. I think the characters are really well drawn and even the background ones seem like fully realized people.

I couldn't put the book down and am very much looking forward to the sequel!
James Murphy
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was quite a treat for a dystopian young adult novel. A girl pretends to be a boy so she can rule her country, and once she assumes office things get... interesting. The next book in the series should be a fun read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Omni (The Omni Duology Book 1)
  • Impervious (Ascension #1)
  • Chayton (Royal Elite, #3)
  • External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
  • The Hungry Ghost Festival
  • Carrier (The Line, #1)
  • Forgotten Suns
  • The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)
  • Carrier
  • The Majestic Impostor (The Companion, #3)
  • Vision of Shadows (Vision, #1)
  • Forget Me Not (Collective, #1)
  • Intermix Nation
  • The Doctor's Fake Fiancée (Red River, #3)
  • Deliver Me
  • That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made
  • Ten Days
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
Rori's debut novel, ELECTED, is book one of a young adult sci-fi trilogy, which challenges the notion of duty above desire. She's a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Rori lives in Seattle with her family and two proficient hair shedders-Misch the cat and Gerry the laid-back black lab. Rori studied public relations and marketing at the University of Maryland ...more

The Elected Series (3 books)
  • Suspected (The Elected Series #2)
  • Perfected (Book 3 of The Elected Series)