Start by marking “Who Will Comfort Toffle?” as Want to Read:
Who Will Comfort Toffle?

Who Will Comfort Toffle? (Moomin Picture Books)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  1,792 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews

Who Will Comfort Toffle? is the timeless, magical tale of the wistful wallflower, Toffle–too shy to speak to anyone and too fearful of the world he is watching from afar. Lonely and sad, Toffle runs away from home and watches the magical cast of Moomin Valley—Mymble, My, Snufkin, the merry whompses and the Fillyjonk—celebrate
Published 1998 by Schildts (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Who Will Comfort Toffle?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Will Comfort Toffle?

Petya Kokudeva
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Рядко пониква нещо толкова прекрасно като тази книга. Тя е история, поезия, любовно приятелство (!), не просто любов. Ум и сетива в прегръдка. Ще е чиста благодат да я имаме преведена на български. Кой ще утеши Кнютчето?
Ingeborg (Ivy)
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had some time on my hands so I went to the bookstore and sat in a corner reading children's books, because I can.
And it was lovely actually.
The only reason it doesn't get five stars is that to me the English translation is unfamiliar - when it comes to names etc. For instance I found it odd that Hemulen was translated to "The Hemulen" because in Norwegian and Swedish the -en at the end is an indicator of definite form and a definite article on top seems superfluous in this instance. It would
I loved this book when I was a little kid and just recently read it again. I never realized how much it influenced me.
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A wonderful, gentle, sad-sweet Moomin Valley story about depression and being lonely and finding friendship. Very much a delight...and a book that offers up kindness and hope. A small treasure for a grey winter's day...
Emma Larsson
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes Toves other books
SWEDISH REVIEW further down!

This was not just a book, this was an experience.

I marvel every time I read something by [author Tove Jansson | 45230], by how much I actually admire and love her writing. Her way of writing and describing, she paints feelings with words. I didn't even react to the fact that the whole book was in rhyme, for it seemed so natural in the story.

Should perhaps add that I never read this before, not now either. I listened to it (in Swedish):
Julian Meynell
This is one of the best picture books ever written. The story is told in rhyme and because it is translated the poetry can be awkward at times and the translator is not quite up to the task.

The story is about Toffle who goes looking for someone to be comforted by and ends up finding a Mymble to be comforted by after many asventures.

The book has a large amount if text fir a picture book. Its illustrations are complex and can occupy a child while the text is being read.

Tove Jannson was a genius a
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I own the original English translation so I can't judge the newest version. But I adore my battered and beat up copy. This treasure was found on the bottom shelf of one of those used bookstores that appear when you need an hour digging through dusty shelves, and then vanish like Brigadoon. The rough condition just adds to poignancy of Toffle's journey. May you be delighted and comforted by discovering this wise and gently humorous picture book.
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
From a dear Swedish friend. A treasure.
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
One of the most, if not the book of my childhood. That was a nice nostalgia trip to take.

No Books
Il secondo libro illustrato di Tove Jansson, pubblicato nel 1960 a otto anni dal precedente, ha per protagonista il Knitt, un essere timidissimo e pauroso. Dopo un’ennesima notte insonne, il Knitt terrorizzato decide di abbandonare la sua casetta nel bosco. Incontrerà Omsa in carrozza, Filifiocche al galoppo, Mimla e Mi, e molti dei personaggi con cui la Jansson ha popolato la valle dei Mumin. Ma il Knitt è troppo timido per parlare con gli sconosciuti, e se ne sta sempre in disparte con il suo ...more
Natalie Campbell
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: don't be alone
why am i so bad at reviewing my books? what kind of bookclub is this?

i bought this book from a store called Kiosk which is run by marco, our computer technician, and (mostly, started by) his wife. what they do is travel to other countries for a few months and shop and visit manufacturers and then come back to the US and open a temporary store in SoHo where they sell "simple everyday" things which are examples of interesting / inspiring design or relate to their idea of the country they went to.
Anna-Maija Tähkävuori
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: loistavan yleispätevä
Recommended to Anna-Maija by: löysin onneksi itse
Uhohtumaton kirja! Luen sen tänään satavuotiaan Tove Janssonin kunniaksi. Osaan tarinan piirroksineen jo ulkoa mutta kirjaa lukiessa kokee yhä lämpimän henkäyksen, pään silityksen ja kädestä pitämisen
Lapsuuden ja nuoruuden rajalla tuntui usein samalta kuin Nyytistä: kaikki häilyi etääntyen ympäriltä. Tuli yhä pienempi yksinäisempi olo pelottavassa maailmassa.
Niinä hetkinä saattoi avata rauhoittavan kirjan Kuka lohduttaisi Nyytiä? Vastaus löytyi Mystä ja ystävällisestä Muumilaaksosta.
Revol Koob
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Muumifaneille
Recommended to Revol Koob by: Anastasia aka Taurendil
No jaa, kuka lohduttaisi minua kun kirja olikin niin lyhykäinen? Olihan tämä ihan mukava tarina, mutta kuitenkin, odotukseni siitä olivat erilaiset. En tiennyt sen olevan runokirja, en tiennyt tarinan olevan "rakkaustarina". Eihän nämä huonoja asioita olleet, mutta jotenkin silti petyin. Olisikohan pitänyt lukea kirja pienempänä lapsena?
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nous rencontrons les habitants exotiques de la vallée de Moumine: les trolls de toutes sortes, les émules, les filigondes, le dronte, des mouchaillons, la Courabou, Tounet et Touillette. (Mais les Moumines, nous ne rencontrons pas dans ce livre.)

Le conte est très beau encourageant. Les créatures solitaires retrouvent l'un l'autre, et plus personne n'eut peur de rien.

* * * * *

Tapaamme Muumilaakson eksoottiset asukit: joka sortin peikot, hemulit, vilijonkat, drontit, homssut, Mörön, Nyytin ja Tuit
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scandinavia
I love the looks of the characters within the Moomin world, but I haven't read much of the stories. Who Will Comfort Toffle? is about a lonely Toffle looking for a friend. He is surrounded by people but finds himself too shy to interact with anyone. After finding a message in a bottle, he sets off to rescue the distressed Miffle who penned the letter. The reader is invited to write down Toffle's story and leave it on a rosebush for Miffle to read since Toffle is too shy to write his one tale. Ov ...more
Anastasia aka Taurendil
A sweet little story.

Three stars might also be enough for this but I think it's deep and the message of trying to have courage is important. It's suitable for anyone from children to adults, which makes it a good book, in my opinion.

- -

Runomuodossa oleva tarina oli virkistävää vaihtelua romaaneille, joita yleensä luen. Olisihan tämänkin klassikon voinut aiemminkin lukea, mutta en ole tainnut siihen törmätä tarpeeksi usein kun se ei ole koskaan mukaani tarttunut.
Inna Swinton
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love this Book - a real adventure with a valuable lesson about friendship!

This book has it all - a fabulous narrative, fun characters, amazing settings, and poetry. The translation works well for us and we have read this book many times. We also love the book about Little My that ends with Mama giving Moomin and friends beautiful berry juice. Just fun and simple and the drawings inspire little imaginations. Moomin and Friends rock!
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: down-memory-lane
This was one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES when I was a kid! Whenever I was sad or feeling down my mom would take me to the library and we would bring "Who will comfort Toffle?" home. My mom would read it aloud for me and I loved the drawings and all the funny characters. This is a wonderful book filled with dreams and it makes your imagination sprout!

The one star is from the childhood me - I didn't fancy this book at all as a kid. I think it scared me, and I also think that I didn't like the style of the writing or the drawings and I have a hunch I won't like it now either. Have no intention really to reread in now, and I think my childhood opinion is suitable enough for a children's book.
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lastenkirjat
All-time favorite since I was little, even more so after I got very depressed at such a young age. I used to go home and read this book whenever it got bad, and my mother just recently gave it to me after all these years. I identified with Toffle very much and I still find the book comforting and really important.
Gonçalo Serra
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Um bonito livro da finlandesa Tove Jansson. Bom para ler em voz alta, ainda que a tradução imediata do inglês para a nossa língua seja algo difícil: manter a rima que lhe confere uma magia adicional. É de ler e de ter. Que irá confortar o Toffle? Tímido e só, terá ele coragem de enfrentar o mundo e descobir que pode ser corajoso e vencer a solidão...
This short, lavishly illustrated narrative poem is a testament to Jansson's genius. This tale of Knytt is a loving one that touches upon shyness and depression, and the courage required to overcome it. The backdrop is the always colourful Moomin valley with its great characters and perfect balance between cosiness and the awe and fear before the overwhelming forces of nature.
Marking this as 5 stars, I feel I have to downgrade all my other 5-star reviews! It's a gorgeous, timeless story of poor shy, fearful Toffle, who only becomes brave when there is someone else to save. A new and absolute favorite.
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was thinking...what books have I read recently. And repeatedly. This one immediately came to mind. It's sure long for a kids' book. I can recite much of it by heart, if you PWs would like an impromptu reading. :)
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, people who are shy
Recommended to Miia by: My cousin
Shelves: books-reviewed
I can't believe nobody read this book to me when I was little. This book is just amazing and I love Tove Jansson's original illustrations. I would recommend every shy person (such as me) to read this book and really think about the message the author sends through it..
S.M.M. Lindström
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Vad kan man säga om Tove Janssons böcker som inte redan blivit sagt? Det finns inslag av melankoli i dem, men stämningen är främst trolsk och får en att vilja vända blad, men inte förrän man studerat den sidan man är på klart.
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6-stars, read2015
I love this book so much! Its my favorite of Tove Janssons stories so far.
It's about Toffle, a small, shy person who is afraid of everything.
Afraid of people, afraid of being alone.

He really reminds me of myself and this story has a special place for
me and my husband <3
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely, both the hand-written-like text (I read the Finnish translation), the story, and the pictures. Having been a shy kid like Toffle, I would have needed this story 20 years ago. Well, better late than never!
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
A lovely kid's book with beautiful, full-color drawings. I really like Toffle!
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic, poetry, read-alouds
A rhyming tale of the lonely Toffle, who finds it hard to reach out to friends. Delightful illustrations of fillyjonks and whompers having fun.
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Skuggan över stenbänken (Skuggserien, #1)
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Elena
  • Lotta on Troublemaker Street
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Muumit ja olemisen arvoitus
  • Sinun lapsesi eivät ole sinun
  • Valoa valoa valoa
  • Karius und Baktus
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

Moomin Picture Books (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Moomin And Little Dragon
  • Moomin And Snufkin
  • Moomin and the Birthday Button
  • Moomin's Splendid Summer Sticker Book
  • Moomin and the Moonlight Adventure
  • Moomin's Lift-The-Flap Hide and Seek
  • Moomin's Little Book of Colours
  • Moomin's Little Book of Numbers
  • Moomin's Little Book of Opposites. Based on Tove Jansson's Original Characters and Artwork
  • Moomin's Little Book of Words

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion