Start by marking “Agricultural Testament” as Want to Read:
Agricultural Testament

Albert Howard

Agricultural Testament

Published June 1st 1973 by Rodale Pr

To ask other readers questions about Agricultural Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agricultural Testament

Start your review of Agricultural Testament
Stephen
Five plus stars for potential importance to world health as the seminal work in soil health. Take away two stars because though well-written it is not my favorite book to read for enjoyment. Four solid stars remain for expressing so influentially the concept that, next to water, healthy soil is the world's most important resource. See also Aldo Leopold's writings for a poetic treatment of the soil as a living presence on which we all depend for life.

Most of Howard's ideas have been adapted by R
David Carver
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
As much a political screed against fractured and ivory-tower agricultural research as it is a survey of causes of and impediments to soil fertility, Howard's Agricultural Testament is a must-read for those interested in developing a more holistic approach to the soil and the life of the world dependent on it. Howard spends a good deal of the book explaining his "Indore Process," which he first created in India in the early part of the 20th century. If the results of that process are to be believ ...more
Nadia
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, brilliant book. It is still hailed as the book which laid the foundations of organic agriculture, but it is, I think, more than that: it gives us a holistic view of agriculture as a partnership between Man and Nature. Most ideas still ring true today (or perhaps today more than ever): that healthy soil breeds healthy plants and animals, which, in turn, keep the people feeding on them healthy; that doping the soil to get ever bigger crops neglects the „second part of the ring of life” ...more
Amy
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I find it interesting that in the first half of the 1900s there was already ample research showing what was being done to the soil and through the soil to our animals, food and ultimately us. It is sad that this knowledge is only starting to become mainstream today. Hopefully as more people become aware, they will take a greater investment in the soil. This book has aided me in my goal of replenishing the soil in my farm and solidly reinforced the fact that we are what we eat.
Jason
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to know how dirt works? Do you like "monkey nuts"
and "humus in latrine pails" and green manure?

"The real, permanent capital of the nations is soil."
"The discovery of the things that matter is three-quarters of the battle."
"The improver can write his message on the land itself."
Emily Tekolste
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Very technical, but interesting as a historical piece or if you're interested in the technical aspects of composting.
Preston Stell
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my mind for a long time...it took me almost half a year to complete it! It was a fascinating read. Wendell Berry cites this book and other books by this same author, so naturally it peaked my interest. I started this at a great time...while feeding my garden plants with organic fertilizers that get pretty expensive. Howard gets me just motivated enough to create my own compost piles. I’ve been at it for months and this book was just the motivation I needed!
J Michael Rice
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of early sustainability studies.

Titled “An Agricultural Testament”
Drayton
Geoff
Apr 19, 2014
Glenn
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in healthcare or public health services.
Shelves: reject
excellent position. Concise, well-written prediction of agricultural future. Hard-hitting. Timeless.
Sanderson
Apr 20, 2015
Jo Bass
Jan 08, 2017
Amr
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016
Apr 23, 2016
Nicholas
Nov 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Sir Albert Howard (8 December 1873 – 20 October 1947) was an English botanist, an organic farming pioneer, and a principal figure in the early organic movement. He is considered by many in the English-speaking world to have been, along with Rudolf Steiner and Eve Balfour, one of the key founders of modern organic agriculture.