Start by marking “Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure” as Want to Read:
Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure

Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure

(Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

It's time for the annual Corn Maze Festival.

The farm is bursting with activity.

Cluck
Whack!

The chickens build a fence around the cornfield.

Moo
Thwack!

The cows give the barn a fresh coat of paint.

Thump. Quack!

Duck builds the ticket booth for the hot-air balloon ride.

Everyone is excited. Well, Duck is not excited exactly. But he has a plan. As Farmer
Published September 2nd 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Thump, Quack, Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thump, Quack, Moo

Start your review of Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
Janie Johnson
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
Read this one with the Grandson and we both enjoyed it a lot. A few animals try to come together to make a corn maze of the Statue of Liberty in this whacky little adventure. It was such a fun little read to share with Aeverie. Great illustrations and a cute little crop line with some very fun characters.
Melki
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff, farm-books
All the animals have been bribed into helping Farmer Brown get his corn maze into the ground. Duck has an adjustment to make to the farmer's plan, however, and it won't be revealed until the end of the book. This one has a very cute, surprise ending.
Abigail
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Farmer Brown & His Animal Companions
Shelves: picture-books
Farmer Brown and his barnyard animals are back in this hilarious hi-jinks adventure. With the annual Corn Maze Festival coming up, Farmer Brown is determined to create a masterpiece - a Statue of Liberty maze! - in his field. He convinced all the animals to help, by giving them hammers (the chickens), paintbrushes (the cows), and threatening their supply of organic feed (Duck). As usual though, Duck has some mischievous plane of his own...

I found Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure quite
Bea
Although the story was humorous, Duck was less engaging this time around.
Becky
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cronin, Doreen. 2008. Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure. Illustrated by Betsy Lewin.

This picture book is in the popular series, the oh-so-wonderfully-funny, an ever-must-read series that began with Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type and continued with Giggle, Giggle, Quack, Duck for President, and Dooby Dooby Moo. The series features the almost-always-outwitted Farmer Brown and his barn animals--cows, chickens, pigs, ducks, etc. I don't believe I've reviewed any of these books (yet) for the
Teneka Howland
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-same-artist
(K - 2nd grade)

Thump, Quack, Moo is a fun story that kids will enjoy. There is some vocabulary that could prove to be challenging so this might be a great story to read-aloud rather than use for independent reading. With cartoon-like drawings, this story is very entertaining. The duck reminds me of a mischievous child. There is a bit of repitition in the book which will catch young readers' attention. The use of challenging vocabulary introduces the students to new words and will peak their
Luann
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
If you've read other farm adventures by Doreen Cronin, you definitely want to read this one, too! Farmer Brown has a lot to do to get ready for the annual Corn Maze Festival. He is making a Statue of Liberty corn maze and wants the animals to help get the farm spruced up for the event. The animals aren't very excited about helping, but he figures out ways to convince them. Things don't turn out quite like he expected, though - especially in regards to Duck! Will Farmer Brown never learn? :)

I
Boni
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Click, Clack, Moo is one of my all-time favorites and the sequels have had an inaurguably hard act to follow. This is the first one I have really enjoyed. It has the same wry tone of silly suspense the other sequels have never quite achieved for me and Farmer Brown and Duck are at their adversarial best. Fun!
Heather
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A recommended read aloud for ages 6-8 by the University of Minnesota. A great romp with farmer and duck as they both prepare for the annual corn maze festival. Farmer plans on creating the statue of liberty. Duck has other plans in mind. I think this would be suitable for grades 1-3 and below. A nice sense of humor rewards readers at the end.
Savannah Domeyer
This book is about how Farmer Brown has all of his animals help him with his Statue of Liberty corn maze. The animals and Farmer Brown work hard during the day, then the duck works hard during the night to change the face of the Statue of Liberty to the face of his own. Farmer Brown does not notice until the day of the event.
Diana
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, storytime
A fairly lackluster title, in my opinion. The duck basically destroying the farmer's work did NOT sit well with me. I would have been furious! Still, there aren't a lot of books about mazes out there, so for our marble maze theme, this was successful. And the kids did think it was fun, so there's that.
Carole
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
The farm animals are recruited to help the farmer get ready for the annual Corn Maze Festival. Everyone is convinced to help except for duck who finally cooperates, but on the sly he undermines the farmer and does his own thing.
Giuseppina
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this series
Donna Mork
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about a farmer making a corn maze. All the animals pitch in but duck doesn't want to. When he finally starts helping out, he makes some modifications to the maze. Won't farmer be surprised?
Shelly
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun adventure with Farmer Brown and his farm animals. What will Duck do this time?
adeservingporcupine
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
What is happening in this book? We are confused.
Amy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute story.
Angela
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny. Duck and Farmer Brown have different design ideas for this years corn maze.
Kim
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Click Clack Moo is by far the best of the books featuring these characters.
Amy Balaich
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Picture book - Not quite as good as Click, Clack, Moo, but it's a fun story.
Matt
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent I guess but forgettable.
Molly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hmmm, doesn't hold up to the original, Cows That Type.
Laurie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jenna Pennington
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I thought this was a really cute book. I like the repetition and the onomatopoeia words. This book could be an introduction to that type of figurative language. I thought the illustrations were really cute and funny. I also thought it was a good message to portray that it takes a long time to plan things. It also shows how much work and thought goes into putting on an event. I also really enjoyed the pop-up in the end of the book to give the reader the final product of the Statue of Liberty corn ...more
Sami
A review of: Thump, Quack, Moo

Publishing Details: Thump, Quack, Moo
Author: Doreen Cronin
Year: 2008
Publishing: Simon &Schuster

Introduction: In Doreen Cronin’s Thump, Quack, Moo we are reintroduced to the beloved Farmer Brown and Duck. The story tells another hilarious encounter between Farmer Brown and his animals, mostly Duck in this case, but with an interesting twist at the end.

Description: Farmer Brown is holding his annual Corn Maze Festival and is very excited to make the Statue of
Emmaline MacBeath
SUMMARY: Farmer Brown is very excited because of the upcoming corn maze festival. He wishes to make a Statue of Liberty maze and is willing to do whatever necessary to get it done. He coerces and bribes the animals to help him build a fence, paint the barn, and make the ticket booth. Meanwhile, duck is up to something nefarious (as usual). Every day, Farmer Brown works and every night, Duck works (or unworks?). The day finally arrives for Farmer Brown to check out his maze by hot air balloon. ...more
Heidi-Marie
Terrible of me, I know, but this is the first Cronin (farm) book that I've read! I just never get to them when they're on the shelves. And surprisingly this is a new one! I like the illustrations. I think they're a lot of fun. And I like the little bits of rhyming. And the farm setting with the animal sounds. That would be a lot of fun to do in a storytelling. But the mice meteorologists--though so funny--would be hard for me to do justice in a storytime. I couldn't make it flow.

I had my
Katrina Knight
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: author-study
Summary: This book is about Farmer Brown getting ready for the annual Corn Maze Festival. He needs help building a Statue of Liberty so he asks his animals for help. Duck sneaks into the corn maze throughout the story and changes the original Statue of Liberty to look like him.

Review: I love this book and I think it's a great resource to use in the classroom. This book is wonderful with a humorous storyline. The students will love to listen to this book and make predictions.

Books: Two other
Laura Mincey
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous
A great humorous book apart of the series Cronin has developed around Farmer Brown and his tricky farm animals! In this story, Farmer Brown is getting ready for the county fair, and needs help from his farm animals, who can't seem to get motivated. When Duck hears Farmer Brown's plan to build a Statue of Liberty replica for the town to see, he plans to go behind all of his hard work to construct a "Duck of Liberty" instead. Farmer Brown doesn't realize Duck has gone behind his back until the two ...more
Ruhama
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
More from Farmer Brown and his chickens, cows and duck! The plot is a corn maze festival, and the famer wants everyone to help, though it takes a little bribery. His job is to cut the Statue of Liberty in the cornfield, which is, of course, undermined by duck at night. (I found it interesting that Farmer Brown had to pay the hot air balloon man to see his own field at the end...) This is a fun addition to the series, with plenty of good sound effects, side humor (like the mice making weather ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Ten, Nine, Eight
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Bats at the Library
  • Trains
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!
  • Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who ...more

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Duck for President
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Click, Clack, Surprise!